(Chpt. 40) Collecting the right way (2)
1.5k 19 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Patch notes. 0.0.4

Spoiler

Title has been reverted back to Leah, Reincarnated As a Dungeon Core!

Leah: The Misadventures Of a Malfunctioning Dungeon Core is now the alternative title.

[collapse]

This is becoming a trend, but... Unedited. Also, the chapter is kind of short.

How annoying… Even though it was supposed to be quiet… Why…? Why did he have to be like this… Even though we were running…. 

 

“So, how was your day?” I don’t understand humans.  

“... Almost died a few times…” Why did he try to even make small talk? 

 

As expected; my cold reply simply made him look at the ground. But he also seemed confused. But I didn’t understand… Why did he try to chat with me, at this time out of all the possible times he could choose? I couldn’t waste time, which was the reason why we were running. I couldn’t argue the efficiency of talking while travelling to share data, but small talk? Why? 

 

It made no sense, no sense at all. And even though I tried to shut him up… 

 

“Sorry to hear that. Mind if I continue asking?” I simply grunted. “How are you so fast?” 

“Eh…” What kind of question was that? 

“Well, I mean. Your agility must be very high. I was blessed to be born with such a high stat, it’s the first time someone can run as fast as me!” Ah right… 

 

Most people couldn’t increase their stats naturally. Well, they couldn’t really be increased at all unless you entered a certain category of people. And that was hard to do, albeit somehow Leah managed to do it by pure dumb luck. Although, thanks to that, we are still alive. Somehow.  People started at base 100, most of the time. Sometimes it could be more, sometimes it could be less. 

 

Right now my agility should be in the 200s. And yet he was keeping up with me. I was already sweating, and feeling shortness of breath. But it wouldn’t be a big deal once we stopped to rest. And yet, he seemed to have no difficulty in keeping up. Well, I suppose collectors need to be above average. 

 

Although… The Collector’s stats were probably above 400… I have no idea what monsters are out there. But, this world isn’t fair at all. It wouldn’t even surprise me to hear about people being above 1000 after bonuses. Scary… 

 

The people that risk their life get paid, the ones that don’t stay in misery. That’s just how it works. Albeit. I am sure that there are cases out there of people being born with over 200 in some stat. 

 

Although, truthfully speaking. That was the least of my concerns at the moment. 

 

“I forgot to ask… What is, your name?” Oh, he was struggling now? 

“Leah.” Not like I had a name, also I was simply serving. Not like things would stay like this forever. I had no place in her life. They want her, not me. 

 

“But if that’s the case… I just hope she wants me…” It was as simple as desiring it and I… was gone forever… 

 

I gulped. That was scary… Fear… 

 

The fear of death… Ha… How funny. I am basically the same. I don’t want to die either…

 

That’s right… Because of that… I was going to come out of this hellhole alive. I was going to collect. I was coldblooded by nature, I was made for this. Even if I try. I can’t really feel remorse. I didn’t feel anything from all my previous kills either, even though I want to say I have feelings. The only one that truthfully hurt was… that one.

 

I couldn’t help anyone, nor save or protect anyone. I could only kill without remorse and do that. If that helped someone indirectly then that was fine. But to feel regretful about killing someone? It was unforgivable.  It was...

 

A misc⁠alc— 

 

“My name is Eckhart.” eh…? “Joey Eckhart?” I gulped. 

“Was he your brother?” His eyes widened for a second but he regretfully nodded. 

“We both knew this route would take us to death, but it’s not like we really had a choice. I simply followed in his footsteps, the constant agony of having to kill, the pained screams of our victims… It was us or them… We never had a choice from the beginning…” His saddened voice clenched my heart. 

“I see…” 

 

… I wonder why? Even though I should be over it, even though I thought I was past that. I could feel insurmountable amounts of grief. That was just how it was ⁠— the clenching feeling, the sudden urge to cry and hide in a corner. I wasn’t over it… As much as I wanted to say it. I wasn’t coldblooded… 

 

I regretted it. I shouldn’t have done it, and I had done it. It was something that I could never revert. And even now… I feel worse. Knowing that he had family to take care of, even if it’s just a single person… Disgusting… I was disgusting… 

 

What would he do, if he knew I killed him? Should I tell him? What would he do? 

 

I looked back at him. They looked nothing alike, but even then… I couldn’t do it. 

 

I clenched my teeth and shook my head. It was no time to grieve. I had to keep moving, I had to finish this mission. This mission that I set myself. In the end, Leah didn’t need me to do all of this. She simply wanted to survive, I did as well… 

 

Which is why I was going to get this done. 

 

It was still nighttime, which means I had my edge. I smirked. 

 

And so, we turned around the corner, and there it was. A huge mansion, with two floors and full of windows. Made out of carved stone, and a pitch-black metal gate with guards on both sides. The building still had all of its lights turned on, and I could see multiple shadows inside. I gulped. It was going to be a goldmine. 

 

How much would I make? 

 

“Are we really doing this?” he voiced out his concern. 

“We are doing it. I need it.” My cold voice made him take a step back. 

-“Are you sure? You seem different…” Sigh… I WAS DIFFERENT. 

“If you don’t want to, you can leave.” I sighed. “I am not the same person you met. If you feel like you can’t do it then just watch.” I didn’t need his help. 

 

“Leah, but… Killing everyone in there for profit is… inhuman.” I paused. 

“Perhaps, but I am not human, remember?” I showed him my ears for a second. 


He solemnly shook his head and gazed into my eyes. 

“That's not what I meant... you just don’t… You don’t even seem to care anymore, I can see it. I can see your desire for your goal in your eyes, you don't care how many you kill...” That is… Well… 

 

“Is it that noticeable?” He fearfully nodded. “Well, I am not the same anymore. This is the path I chose. it doesn't matter; even if I had to stain my hands a bit for a greater cause.That’s right…

 

“Leah…” I was done here. 

 

I put the cloak on again. 

 

See? it was that simple. To be nice and help someone. I had protected him from staining his hands. Why have him do it if I could do it myself? 

Favorite! ♥  

Buy me a coffee It's a tip... You can also join our Discord!

47