(Chpt. 27) Walking on glass (3)
2k 7 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unedited.


“Leah I am sorry…” 

“About?” 

 

There was only silence in the room, I was bitter and simply had nothing to say. 

 

“You said you wanted to know more about the other tradehouse, right?” 

“Ah… yes…” I had a feeling I should’ve just left, there was nothing but awkwardness. .

 

She sat there, looking down and fidgeting with her fingers.

 

“Well, about the tradehouses… You see, it’s quite complicated. But apparently it gets built during the night, and then it’s open…” 

“... How does that even work?” That doesn’t even make sense. She shrugged. 

 

“I have no idea, it just kind of appears. First the materials are gathered by gatherers and fighters, then it gets processed by the processors. And then the processed materials are left where the building is going to be placed.” 

“That makes no sense…” Who is building it? 

“Ha, I wish I knew, the major just says to not worry about it.” She sighed. “Although it all works out, the town develops pretty quickly thanks to it. But like it has been said, the future is uncertain.” 

 

“What makes it so uncertain?”

“Since it’s a new town, it’s not affiliated with the kingdom ⁠— it’s totally independent; the major is currently trying to join it with the kingdom. It currently is recognized as a trade route and appears on the maps, at least…”

“I see…” How weird… 

 

“Well, it’s no use wondering about it… The guards are set to patrol a new building area whenever it happens, seeing it actually being built is considered a criminal offense… As far as the window, well… kind of the same deal, it just appeared when I woke up.” 

“Ha…” It truly didn’t make sense… 

“I don’t understand it much, but it’s better to try not to.” She dropped her shoulders before returning back to me. “Any other questions?”

“I don’t think so… Well, I don’t even think I know what to ask…” 

 

“Yeah… sometimes it’s hard to know what to ask…” 

“... Yeah…” 

 

Nothing but bitterness and awkwardness in our conversation… Why was I even here? Ah right… Wouldn’t it be nice to come and say, hi? Well it was nice, but I completely forgot her condition. 

 

“Leah…” 

“... Yes?” 

 

Rin paused and looked down on the table, fidgeting yet again. Her ears went down like a sad puppy and her mouth meekly opened.

 

“Is it true?” she whispered. “That you will save me?”

“I…” Her ears went further down. “I promise.” 

“Do you really mean it?” Her ears raised a bit. 

 

“I mean it…” 

“Do you really do?!” Her ears perked up. 

“Yes, I promise I will save you, Rin.” 

 

She averted her gaze for a second before turning back to me with a weak smile. 

 

“Then… I will try to survive…” 

“Rin...” Then… “I’ll do my best.” 

 

She cheerfully nodded. And then she stopped smiling for a second and thought. 

 

“Hey, Leah.” 

“Yes?”

 

“Can you leave?” Eh? “Ah! Don’t look at me like that! I just need to rest…” 

“Ah…” I thought she wanted me gone for a second…  “Yeah I can leave… but…” 

“But?” She tilted her head. 

 

“Promise me you will try.” 

I promise.” 

 

* * * 

 

“I want to collect more!”

“Oh, how unusual of you. Something happened?” 

Sitting on his desk, the towering figure peered over it; blocking the light coming down on my eyes. And yet I was sure, this was what I needed to do. I had to save Rin, no matter what. And so… 

 

“I want to collect more.” I looked at him right in the eyes. 

“I like that decisiveness; no more hesitation. Impressive.” Even if his stone cold descended on my ears, even then… I knew what I had to do. I had to do it. He sat back down on his chair and sighed. 

 

“So, what is it you are seeking. More money? That would also help you get out of things faster.” 

I hurriedly nodded. “Money.” 

 

He broke into a smile. “Money is it? I like it ⁠— that choice is a good one.” 

“Yes…” He stood up, he always wore the same black leather coat that reached his bespoke boots. His towering figure looked down on me and… smiled. 

 

“Leah, are you coming?” 

“Right now?!” Like go outside and collect?

 

“Yes, right now. You are an investment, I have a lot of things lined up to use you.” Ah. “You’re a tool after all.” 

“Right.” 

 

I felt like I should’ve been mad and yet I wasn’t. Being a tool was fine. It was fine, I didn’t care. Everyone is a tool to some extent knowingly or unknowingly. If everyone is branded with a number and a generic name including buildings then, we might as well all be tools

 

“You have everything right?” 

“What do you mean by everything?” 

“A weapon, the vial I gave you, anything else you need for survival.”  

“Oh…” 

 

I placed my hand inside my pocket; vial check. I patted my thigh; dagger check. Anything else? I was wearing boots for easy walking, open clothes for easy moving. I also happened to be carrying two potion vials for whatever reason. I did take one in the morning as well. So, 

 

“Yeah, nothing missing.” He nodded and opened the door, gesturing me to follow him with a nod. 

 

We walked through the halls, footsteps echoed through the hallways and wind blew through the open windows. Some people were talking by the fountain and immediately stood up and did some type of military salute to The Collector. I kind of wondered what was with the whole work-name ordeal. Now that I think about it…

 

“What is my work name?”

“Collector Girl 1.” Why am I not surprised? 

“Am I the first one?” He only answered with a nod before opening his mouth.

 

“CG1 for short.” 

“Of course…” Names were stupid. 

 

Why did they have numbers? Well everything had numbers in this world but still. Questions to be answered, oh right… Now that I remember…

 

“What is the control stat?” The vendor did mention it. 

“How easy it is to handle a weapon ⁠— it’s a permanently hidden stat.” 

 

“How do I know mine?”

“Yours is the same as your overall stat mean. It caps at 100.” I see… that’s pretty weird, wait…

 

“How do you know?!”

“It’s a secret.” Ha… Now that I think about it, he also knew when I first met him…. 

 

I paused as I saw him walking, his tanky frame and clear back muscles ⁠— he was strong. I could tell… Whenever I saw him, I felt some danger… Was it my hidden skill? I don’t know. He turned back and looked at me. 

 

“Scared now?”

 

I shook my head and followed along.

Discord

Well, things are going to get interesting with all this collecting left and right.

54