Chapter Four
12 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The nameless knight's weary steps came to an abrupt halt as he traversed a rugged mountainous path, each stride a testament to his indomitable spirit despite the injuries inflicted by the long-necked yokai he had valiantly battled in the village that fateful morning. Even as a seasoned warrior, exhaustion finally claimed him, forcing his battered frame to yield to the earth.

In the realm of slumber, he was transported back to the distant shores of his European homeland. There, in the heart of his impregnable fortress, memories of camaraderie with fellow knights enveloped him, casting a veil of isolation. He yearned for the sacred tranquility of Sunday Mass in the resplendent cathedral, where the mellifluous chants of the choir reverberated through the hallowed halls. Amidst the ethereal voices, one, in particular, resonated—a dulcet melody carried by the words he couldn't decipher.

In his dreamlike reverie, the ethereal singer, a young woman of unearthly grace, approached him with a celestial aura, her enchanting voice an enigma. The Mass persisted, yet she remained veiled from the congregation's gaze. Only he could perceive her presence. She drew near, her lips parting to whisper the Japanese translation of a familiar phrase: "Wake up!"

Like a flick of a hand, the nameless knight abruptly roused from his slumber, a cascade of frenzied movements akin to one escaping a harrowing nightmare. Confusion descended as realization settled in—he remained within the enigmatic realm known as Japan. The room surrounding him exuded an aura of tradition, its Shinto decor indicative of a sacred shrine. As he attempted to rise from the futon on which he lay, his eyes met those of a young, resplendent Shinto priestess.

Startled, their gazes locked, a maelstrom of bewilderment engulfing them both. The knight, captivated by her innate and graceful Japanese beauty, found himself ensnared in her presence. The shrine maiden, in turn, blushed a deep crimson and faltered in her seated position, her composure momentarily shattered by the sight of his striking sapphire-blue eyes.

The Shinto maiden, her cheeks still flushed with embarrassment, continued to speak in a language the nameless knight couldn't decipher. Her hands trembled, and the wet cloth she had been using slipped from her grasp, falling to the tatami mat below. Her gaze dropped, avoiding the knight's piercing blue eyes.

Realization washed over the knight as he comprehended the urgency of his situation. His mission, clear in his mind, was to survive and navigate this unfamiliar world. With a determined resolve, he summoned the last vestiges of his strength and attempted to rise from the futon. His movements were slow and labored, every muscle protesting after his previous battle and subsequent journey through the mountains.

The shrine maiden, her empathy now overcoming her initial surprise, sensed the knight's unspoken need. With a gentle gesture, she pointed to the corner where his belongings rested, neatly arranged on the tatami.

His eyes scanned the room, searching for his essential equipment, the tools of his trade that would ensure his survival. With aching limbs, he managed to sit up, his gaze sweeping across the tatami-covered floor. And there, in the corner of the room, a glimmer of hope materialized. There, like a treasure trove, lay his helmet forged from steel, his formidable plate armor, the intricate chainmail, the protective pauldrons, the chausses to shield his legs, and the sturdy greaves to guard his feet.

The sight of his equipment was a lifeline, a tangible connection to his identity as a knight. The weight of his mission, to survive and navigate this foreign land, bore down upon him once more.

The Shrine Maiden, her concern etched across her delicate features, strongly protested against the nameless knight's determination to move. She recognized the extent of his injuries, and though language served as a barrier, her actions conveyed her intent clearly. With a gentle but firm gesture, she indicated that he should stay, her voice repeating the word "Miko," while pointing to herself. She hoped this polite exchange of names would convince him, but the knight, not understanding the gesture, misinterpreted it as her name and thus called her Miko.

Observing his mistake, the Shrine Maiden, now referred to as Miko, chose not to correct him. Her priority was to nurse him back to health. She insisted, through gestures and careful communication, that he needed to heal first. The knight, recognizing her genuine concern, reluctantly agreed and settled back onto the futon.

As the knight rested, the truth of his surroundings began to take shape. He found himself within the confines of a room within the Shinto shrine. Miko had left him momentarily to attend to her duties, which included praying for blessings and installing protective charms to ward off malevolent spirits. Her concern deepened as she realized that the knight, without divine blessing, had managed to defeat a demon—an extraordinary feat. She took extra precautions to fortify the shrine's barrier, fearing that the yokai might target this unusual individual.

With her spiritual safeguards in place, Miko turned her attention to nourishing her guest. In the modest kitchen of the shrine, she prepared a simple but hearty meal, hoping to expedite his recovery.

The knight, left alone in the tranquil room, took a moment to reflect. He had stumbled into a world beyond his comprehension, and yet, it was also a world that had shown him kindness through Miko's care. As he lay there, pondering the mysterious path that had brought him to this sanctuary, neither he nor Miko could anticipate the looming tragedy that would soon cast its shadow over their newfound bond.

1