Act 2 Ch 13 Bend the Knee Part 3
2.7k 12 100
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Continue” He said with a frosty tone to the remaining four lords, as a pool of blood formed around the dead man's body.

 

Lord Glover then shakily began to give his oath as blood flowed down to his feet. After the other lords finished giving their oaths, it was Robb's turn. He glanced over at the still warm corpse in the middle of the room before he spoke.

 

“I Robb Stark, son of Eddard Stark.” He paused looking toward his father who was staring at him giving him a proud fatherly smile. With a tilt of his head he urged his son to continue. 

 

“On this day relinquish my kingship, and do recognize and swear fealty to king Joffrey of houses Baratheon and Lannister, the first of his name, king of the andals and first men, lord of the seven kingdoms and protector of the realm. I pledge fealty to him and promise to serve in good faith and without deceit”

 

He then slowly brought his hands to his head and removed the bronze circlet crown. He raised it high offering it to the young golden king. Joffrey then stood up from his throne once again and made his way to the kneeling former king. After arriving in front of Robb he slowly reached down and took the northern crown into his hands. The entire great hall was as silent, no one made a sound as the tense moment seemed to last forever. Suddenly Joffrey raised the crown over his head for the entire court to see.

 

“Peace!” He proclaimed to the entire court.

 

The entire great hall then erupted into cheers and applause as the royal guard banged their spear shafts into the floor. Filling the hall with the sounds of drums. Joffrey allowed the cheering to continue for a few moments before raising his hands, and quieting them down. He then looked down at the still kneeling former king before reaching down and offering him his hand.

 

“Rise” He said with a kind voice.

 

Robb then took Joffrey’s hand and was hoisted to his feet. Applause once again filled the hall. 

 

“You have made a just and selfless decision this day young wolf.” He said, giving Robb a proud smile. “A decision worthy of a man who called himself king. Let it be known I king Joffrey first of my name do pardon Lord Stark and all those who followed him.”

 

The northern lords rose to their feet and wearily looked at one another.

 

“That is why on this day, I name Robb Stark the new lord of Winterfell and the Warden of the north.”

 

The applause continued to fill the room as Joffrey handed the bronze circlet to the royal steward. He then gestured for Tobho to come forward. Which he promptly did, still holding the two objects in his hand that were wrapped in a white sheet. After arriving beside the pair, Joffrey spoke.

 

“It would seem that you are in need of a sword my lord.” He gestured to the missing sword at Robb’s hip.

 

He then reached out and took one of the clothed objects from Tobho. He removed the white sheet revealing a freshly forged Valyrian steel 47 inch longsword. The pommel was a round ball, with a two handed grip that was dark blue and black. The cross guard was silver colored steel that branched out like tree roots. At the center was a wolf’s face that had a long thin pitch black 35 inch blade coming out of its mouth. The blade held a dark blue gleam when reflecting the light.

 

Robb was stunned silent at the sight of the blade, after all it was the most beautiful sword that he had ever seen. Joffrey slowly handed it to the northern lord who grasped it delicately with both hands as if he were handling a newborn. Robb admired the sword, looking down the blade and rotating it with his wrist as his envious fellow lords watched. After swinging the sword a bit, Joffrey offered him the custom black and silver decorated sheath.

 

“Where did you get this?” Robb asked, confused as he sheathed the blade.

 

“That sword was reforged from your ancestral greatsword Ice.” Joffrey explained “It is meant to symbolize the new bond between our two houses.”

 

“You reforged my family’s ancestral sword?” He asked with clear agitation in his voice.

 

“Only after receiving your father’s blessing.” Joffrey calmly responded.

 

Robb looked stunned, looking up at his father who nodded his head confirming Joffrey was telling the truth. In truth Ned had stubbornly refused to have his house’s greatsword reforged. It was only after explaining that it was one of the few weapons that worked against the others, and pointing out no one in his house could wield ice in battle that he agreed. Even then he had made Joffrey swear a blood oath before the old gods and new, that the new swords would only be used to protect the north and not harm it. 

 

“So what became of the rest of it?” He asked, his voice still holding a hint of annoyance.

 

Joffrey then turned and Tobho revealed the second sword. It was a 39 inch broadsword that was shorter than a normal longsword. The pommel was a round gilded steel forged in the shape of a golden crown embedded with red rubies, with a dark red and black grip. The cross guard consisted of two golden eagle wings that folded outward, with a large red ruby cut into the shape of a rhombus at the center.  The blade was 30 inches in total and like its sister blade was pitch black. With the exception of glowing red in the sunlight. 

 

Robb was again stupefied by the majestic blade and the master craftsmanship that must have gone into creating it. Joffrey quickly sheathed the sword in its custom black and gold scabbard and held it in his left hand.

 

“Let these newly forged blades symbolize the newly forged bond between the north and the south!” He shouted out for all the court to hear him. “From this day to the end of days our houses are bound together and we stand once more as the seven kingdoms!”

 

The court erupted once more as Joffrey placed his hand on Robb’s shoulder and stood side by side with him. 

 

“Now let the celebrations begin.” He clapped his hands and servants began to flood into the great hall carrying chairs and tables. 

 

The great hall was filled with bustling servants who carried candle sticks and cups and moved tables for the court to sit at. Joffrey gestured to his royal guard, who then walked down and removed the giant corpse lying in the middle of the room. The north lords were all handed wooden mugs filled with wine.

 

“I’ll have the body prepped so you can transport it easier when you return to the north.” Joffrey said quietly to Robb.

 

“Thank you, your grace.” He responded with a small hint of gratitude. 

 

“Varys” Joffrey called out to his master of whispers.

 

“Yes, your grace?” He asked after arriving at his king’s side.

 

“Please lead lord Stark and his family to a room where they might have some privacy.”

 

“Yes, your grace.” He said bowing his head before leading the Stark family from the great hall.

 

Robb slowly followed the large bald man with an astonished look on his face. As Sansa began to leave with them she looked back at her beloved with a happy smile. Joffrey just gave her a loving smile and gestured for her to go with her family. After they left the hall, he turned his attention back to the lively great hall. Joffrey returned to his throne, setting down his new sword against the chair. He watched with a content smile as the northern lords slowly but surely began to get into the mood and make merry. Just as he watched his hand Tyrion make his way to his “uncle” Jaime who still seemed very weak, and had a hard time standing on his own.

 

“Grand Maester.” He turned his head looking at the sagely old man.

 

“Yes, your grace?” He asked, breathing heavy with fake weariness. 

 

“Attend to my uncle.” He ordered.

 

“Yes, your grace.” He bowed his head and slowly waddled toward the two Lannister brothers. 

 

Joffrey then leaned back into his throne, resting his face on his fist as he watched the celebrations get under way. A smirk soon spread across his face, as one of the first parts of his grand plan was proceeding perfectly.

 

Outside the great hall Varys led the Stark family down a stone hallway. As the group made their way down the hallway the noise and bustling of the great hall became fainter and fainter. After walking for some time they came upon an empty room with a large oak door. Varys then turned and faced the family of wolves.

 

“No one shall disturb you here my lords.” He said politely, holding out his hand.

 

As the group of four made their way into the large empty room, Varys remained outside.

 

“Call upon me when you finish your discussion.” He said before shutting the wooden door.

 

Once the spider had left them alone an awkward silence filled the room. Which only lasted for half of a second before the group began embracing each other. They cried tears of joy as they hugged each other, basking in the familiar warmth they hadn’t felt in a long time. After a few joyous moments the group gathered themselves.

 

Robb then turned and faced his father, taking a knee before speaking.

 

“I’m sorry father, I've failed.” He said, bowing his head to the old wolf. “I failed you, I failed the north, I’m not fit to be your heir. I’ll never be the man you were.”

 

Eddard looked taken aback by his eldest son’s words along with his two daughters. Robb remained kneeling, hanging his head in shame. The old wolf’s face became still and serious before he addressed him.

 

“You’re right.” He said calmly, shocking both his daughters, while Robb’s body stiffened. 

 

“You’re better.” He said keeping his voice even and calm as Robb looked up at him with shock. “You were holding onto an idealized version of me that doesn’t exist. I’m just a man Robb, no different from you, and men sometimes have to make hard decisions. In those situations the choices you make seem to lead to only bad outcomes. The hard part is choosing the one that leads to the least worst one. That's what it takes to be a good leader”

 

Robb looked up at his father, taking in his words of wisdom as both of the girls listened as well.

 

“Today you made a difficult decision, you gave up your crown and submitted to another king's rule.” He said slowly emphasizing his words. “And in exchange you saved the lives of your men and secured the safety of not only the north, but the Riverlands as well. You put the welfare and lives of your people before your pride. I couldn’t be more proud of the man you’ve become.”

 

He put his hand on his shoulder giving Robb a loving smile filled with pride.

 

“Now stand up.” He reached under his arm and forced him to his feet. “You are the lord of Winterfell.”

 

Robb straightened his back up, but still had a hard time meeting his father’s gaze.

 

“But you’ll have to take the black.” He said his voice was still filled with sadness. “You’ll be exiled to the wall.”

 

Ned brought both his hands up and held his son by his cheeks, forcing him to look him in the eye. 

 

“Those are the consequences of my mistakes, Robb.” He said sternly as he continued to hold his face looking deep into his blue eyes. “No one is to be blamed for them but me.”

 

“I’m not ready to be without you.” He said tears welling up in his eyes.

 

“Yes you are.” He said soothingly as he brushed away a tear on his cheek. “A man who has not prepared his children for his absence, has failed as a father.”

 

“Have I ever failed you?” He asked

 

“Never” Robb responded looking deep into his father’s eyes.

 

Ned gave his son another smile before kissing his forehead. Robb finally nodded his head slowly letting go of the guilt and regret that had been weighing on his shoulders. Arya and Sansa stood by waiting for the father-son moment to end. 

 

“So what's gonna happen to us now?” Arya finally asked.

 

Robb turned away from his father and looked down at his youngest sister. He walked over to her and ruffled her brown hair.

 

“We’re going home.” He told her, his face was filled with brotherly affection.

 

“Really?” She asked, her eyes a little misty.

 

“Yes,” He responded. “We’re all going home.”

 

At those words Sansa's face became filled with distress and anxiety. Robb looked at her confused.

 

“What's wrong Sansa?”

 

Sansa looked down, not making eye contact with her brother, her face filled with various emotions. After a brief moment she looked up at him to respond.

 

“You said all of us are going back, does that mean me as well?” She asked.

 

“Yes I’m taking you all back to Winterfell with me.” He said firmly.

 

“But my place is here with Joffrey.” She responded worriedly. “I’m meant to be his queen and rule the seven kingdoms by his side.”

 

Robb was taken aback by his sister’s words. He thought she would be excited to return to the north and be free of the Lannisters.

 

“Sansa, your place is with your family.” He said calmly trying to console her. “Mother is worried about you and can't wait to see you again. Bran and Rickon too.”

 

Sansa felt like a knife was being plunged into her stomach. She couldn’t help but feel like she was being forced to choose between her family and her beloved Joffrey. Her face reflected the conflict she was experiencing as she bit her lower lip. Seeing her distress, Robb walked over to her and put his hand on her cheek.

 

“Sansa, one day we’ll find you a husband who is worthy of you.” He said sweetly rubbing her cheek. “Someone kind, strong, and gentle.”

 

“But Joffrey is all those things!” She yelled internally but couldn’t speak the words.

 

She became conflicted between her duties to her house and family and to those of her future husband. As these conflicts began to burn like a raging fire she was bombarded with the wholesome memories she had in Winterfell with her family.  Of the feasts in their warm halls, of her mother braiding her hair, of her father telling her bedtime stories.  Remembering the familial love and warmth she unconsciously brought her hand up and held Robb’s.

 

Then she remembered all the experiences that she had with her golden lion, and the many things he had given her. Like the lioness cub he had given to her as an apology for what happened to her direwolf. Or the sapphire necklace that she wore everyday since he put it around her neck. Then the time when he fought to protect her in the streets from bandits suffering a wound in the process. Only to carry her in his strong arms all the way back to the castle. 

 

Remembering all these experiences her hand dropped from Robb’s and touched the necklace around her neck. She knew she had to make a choice, and no matter which she chose she would lose something precious to her. Taking all of that into account she opened her eyes and gazed into Robb’s.

 

“No” She flatly refused.

 

Everyone was taken aback by her statement.

 

“No?” Robb repeated thinking perhaps he had misheard her.

 

“No,” She said again. “I’m not leaving with the rest of you, I’m staying here with Joffrey.”

 

Both Robb and Ned were surprised by her refusal. She had always been a dutiful and respectful young lady of the north. Performing her duties to the best of her abilities, and of the two ladies of Winterfell Sansa had always been the more reasonable of the two. That's why it was all the more shocking when she refused to listen to her brother’s command.

 

“Sansa I know you're confused right now, but I promise once we're back home you will-” But before he could finish She interrupted him.

 

“This is my home now, Robb.” She responded calmly. “My place is by Joffrey’s side, and I have duties to perform here.”

 

Robb began to get frustrated by his sister’s stubbornness.

 

“Sansa you’re needed back north!” He yelled furiously. “What am I supposed to tell mother when she asks why you aren’t with us?! What do I tell Bran and Rickon?!”

 

“You’ll tell them that I stayed behind to perform my duties, and protect our family.” She said calmly not losing her bearing despite her brother’s anger.

 

Robb pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration, taking a few deep breaths to calm himself down before responding.

 

“Sansa,” He said calmly. “I know you’ve grown infatuated with him, but there are more important things going on then your childish wants and-”

 

“It's not about that!” She yelled, finally growing angry with her brother’s attitude.

 

“I can serve both our family and the north far better here than I ever could in Winterfell. This isn’t just some childish desire, it's about protecting our house and our blood. With me as queen I can secure the north and ensure reconciliation between our families.”

 

Robb, Arya, and Ned were stunned by her words. Not only because of her passionate words, but because they couldn’t refute them. Robb remembered his oath that he had made Joffrey on the battlefield the day before, about respecting whatever choice Sansa made. Though he had assumed that Joffrey would be the one having to accept it, not the other way around. 

 

“Are you sure?” He asked weakly, making one last attempt to change her mind.

 

“I’m sure.” She said confidently.

 

Robb looked dispirited at his sister’s refusal. Sansa walked up to him and took him into her embrace.

 

“Don’t look at me like that Robb.” She said sweetly to him as she held him tight. “We all have our duties to fulfill, this is mine.”

 

He didn’t respond and just combed his fingers through her auburn red hair. Ned then came up and put his hand on his shoulder, giving him an understanding smile. He couldn’t say he didn’t have his own misgivings about the current circumstances between Joffrey and his daughter. Defending the world of men was one thing, marrying his daughter was another matter entirely. Though his actions lately have helped prove himself more worthy of his daughter's hand, he had to admit. Arya just looked at the whole situation as absurd. After all she found the whole topic of marriage and a proper lady’s duties to be nauseating. 

 

As the northern family continued their discussion, none of them noticed the indiscernible hole in the wall slowly being closed. Behind it in one of the Red Keep’s many hidden passageways stood Varys in his dark blue silk robe. He had a satisfied smile plastered across his face.

 

“It would seem everything his grace predicted has come to pass.” He said to himself, still wearing a smug grin. 

 

He then turned and began to walk down the hidden passageway. 

 

“Now we can begin preparations for phase two.” He thought as he continued his slow stride.

 

A/N: New release schedule will be Friday 7 AM EDT

100