Chapter Seventeen: A New Journey Awaits
383 7 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Columns of smoke swirled and drifted in the morning air. No other clouds broke the blue above, only the blaze of a morning sun stood in witness. 

Autumn stepped past the shattered remains of her bedroom door and the sticky pool of goblin blood on the ground. Her things still lay scattered around the room from the violence, but it took only a few moments to gather everything she had. 

Glancing inside her tattered bag revealed a distinct lack of provisions.

Autumn grimaced. It wasn’t like she had any money on hand to buy any with and she still owed Nethlia. She didn’t know how she was ever going to repay her, not just for the food and lodgings either. 

It was clear to her that it was all her fault. She had thought that she had escaped the fae, but that was not so. All those families who had died within the night lay upon her conscience and she didn’t want to add Nethlia to that. 

It would be best if she just left. 

With her pack in hand, Autumn exited her room and headed into the inn’s main room. Standing there in the center of that cold room was the silent figure of a towering Nethlia. She glanced down at the bag in Autumn’s hand before looking back at her shadowed face.

“You’re leaving then?” The words felt like heartbreak. 

“It’s…they were…my fault…If I’d…” 

Autumn couldn’t find the words to explain the tearing in her heart. 

Fumbling in her robes, she withdrew her pouch of coins; the clinking echoed as she thrust it out in front of herself, not daring to look up at the glowing eyes above her. 

“Here, for your help and food. Those goblins…it’d be best if I left. I’m…I’m so sorry.” 

Autumn quivered in place with her arm still outstretched. 

The silence was haunting as she awaited her final verdict. Eventually, Nethlia spoke again, driving away the cold. 

“Were they after you?” 

Autumn’s voice choked in her throat. All she could emit was a shame-filled “yes.”

A low exhale escaped the demoness in front of her. Despite the distance, it almost fluttered Autumn’s draping hair. The sound twisted a knife in her gut. 

“If you didn’t stop, you’d be dead. I saw what you looked like when you stumbled in here. Those goblins would have killed you on the road.” 

“But everyone here would still be alive.” Autumn’s voice was but a whisper in the gloom.

“Maybe, or maybe they might have killed us. Maybe a storm would have blown the hamlet away or a fire, but all I know is that you saved my life; if you hadn’t woken me, I’d be dead.” 

Glancing up in shock, Autumn spotted the demoness rubbing her neck where a faint line of blood stood out. 

“But..” 

“No buts,” Nethlia interrupted. “Only the gods know what the future holds. We must simply live each day as it comes. So no, I don’t blame you or hate you if that’s what’s bouncing about that cute little head of yours.”

Autumn’s head lowered as they saw her through. 

“I still need to…to go. They’ll still be after me. I need to get stronger. I need to travel and learn more magic. It was…it was great meeting you. I wish I could have stayed.” 

As Autumn brushed past her, the demoness called out.

“Where are you going, then? What do you plan on doing for money? Do you even know where you are?”

At Autumn’s awkward silence, Nethlia snorted with exasperation and amusement. From behind her, Autumn could hear rummaging and clanging of pots and pans. Turning back, she was witness to the sight of Nethlia pulling forth various items into a large canvas backpack.

“What are you doing?” Autumn couldn’t help but ask. 

“Packing, obviously,” Nethlia replied with a toothy smirk.

“Yes, but why?”

“Cause I’m going with you.” 

Autumn blinked incredulously.

“But, I was leaving ‘cause I didn’t want you to get hurt! And.. and what about your inn?” 

Nethlia snorted in amusement.

“I know. It was kinda cute. Plus, I already sold the inn to a young farming couple. I think I’m done with this place. It’s taken too much. Also, you evidently need to have someone cook for you; you’re so skinny.” 

Unbidden hope blossomed in Autumn’s chest as she watched the herculean demoness pack up all her belongings. 

Nethlia led Autumn outside to a small stable nestled close to the inn. Inside lay a great wooden cart, undoubtedly sized for the demoness beside her. Behind the seats lay a wide bed that easily fit all their supplies, covering it was a heavy wooden frame with a thick sheet of waxed leather, to keep the rain and weather out.

Food, furs, weapons, and supplies were loaded up in quick succession.

At the front of the wagon, Nethlia led one of the enormous cattle into a harness. Its four horns still glistened with morning dew and a shine of intelligence radiated from its eyes as it stared unbothered at Autumn.

“Autumn meet Kira; Kira meet Autumn,” Nethlia introduced the pair. “She’ll be pulling us from now on. Don’t worry on her account, she once gored an Ebony Mantis to death.” 

Nethlia patted Kira with pride. 

Autumn smiled wryly as she had no clue what an Ebony Mantis was, but she imagined it wasn’t the tiny insects from Earth. She doubted Nethlia would boast as much if it was. 

“Well? Let’s go.” 

Nethlia declared, before helping Autumn clamber up onto the wagon. With a dull flick of the reins and a “hyah” they set forth at a plodding pace northwards. 

The day passed Autumn by leisurely. After a few hours of gazing upon fields of gray wheat that swayed in the cool breeze and pastures of cattle, it all blurred together. Before she knew it, the night crested on the horizon.

Nethlia guided Kira towards a small divot between two rolling hills, off the side of the road. Here they were adequately sheltered from the wind. The site bore the telltale signs of many a rest and campfire. Most likely a favored place for merchants and farmers to stay on their way between the coast and interior. 

Jumping down from the wagon, Autumn stumbled as her sore muscles protested. While the seat was cushioned, a lack of modern suspension had transmitted every bump, stone, and hole directly to her. 

From the back of the wagon, Nethlia fetched an armload of firewood and kindling, which was placed into the existing firepit. 

A clear evening sky bathed the surrounding farms and fields with a beautiful pink glow. No cloud hung heavy above and looked to stay that way through the night. As such, the pair opted to sleep under the stars.

Autumn gazed out at the setting sun. It was a rare sight for her.

“Do you mind grabbing the cooking stuff from the back while I take care of Kira?” Nethlia asked the dazed witch. 

The suddenness shocked Autumn from her contemplations, and she hastily agreed. In the back of the wagon was a heavy cauldron. Autumn was uncertain what it was made from, although it looked like either copper or bronze. What she knew was that it was heavy. With only slight strain, she lugged it over to the fire. 

She was thankful that it wasn’t full of water. 

Speaking of water, once Nethlia had finished brushing down Kira, she set off with a pail in hand to a nearby stream to fill their cauldron. As she was doing so, Autumn flicked through her Tome in search of a specific craft. During the day, she had momentarily skimmed it in boredom and had found a few interesting pages.

The Ward of Alarm.

The Ward of Alarm is a useful spellcraft, as it will allow you to rest easy. Across any accessway, such as a door or window, place a length of human hair soaked in vinegar. Once secured in place, bind the thread with your magicka. When crossed by anyone, it will emit a piercing noise based upon the flavor of emotion bound. To cancel, simply retract the magic inside. 

Underneath the paragraph was a small sketch showing various flows of magic, distances of placement, and other such measurements. 

From her pack, Autumn fetched a spool of hair she had taken from the witch’s hut and a pot of vinegar from their food stores. Once properly coated, she set about creating a series of tripwires amidst the grasses and across the back of the wagon, just in case. 

“Net! I’m setting up a few alarms around us. Do you need anything more from the wagon?” Autumn called out to Nethlia. 

Nethlia, who was over by the now filled cooking pot, looked up. 

“Good thinking and no, we’re all set.”

Activating the wires was easy. She simply had to pour a coating of adumbral energy across it. As an added benefit, the near black thread became next to invisible in the night. 

“Done! What’s next?” Autumn asked.

“I’ll start on the cooking. Can you set up the bedrolls by Kira?”

Autumn cast a cautious look at the lazing cow, who returned her look with one of indifference. 

“Uh, why?” 

Nethlia chuckled. “Cause she’s warm and has far better hearing than us. Why? You’re not scared of the ol’ girl, are you?”

“Are we looking at the same animal?” Autumn quipped. “Did you not see what the others did to those goblins?” 

Nethlia grinned as she looked up from the pot of soup she was making, the fragrant scent of meat and vegetables drifting into the air. 

“Exactly.” 

Kira flickered her long ears lazily at Autumn as she approached with the bedrolls in her arms. Despite her caution, the beast did nothing other than blow hot air into her face and soon the beds were arranged up against her warm belly.

The dinner that Nethlia made was hearty and filling, with soft and juicy meat alongside vegetables and a handful of spices. It was another delight upon the tongue. Before she knew it, Autumn’s bowl had been scraped clean more than once. 

The pink glow of a setting sun vanished to reveal the risen moons in the dark twilight. 

Nethlia and Autumn both relaxed up against the warm belly of Kira, Nethlia of course being nearer to the wickedly sharp horns. Beside them, within arm’s reach, lay each of their respective weapons. With a clear night sky hanging overhead, Autumn’s mind wandered. She pondered over just how many hours were in a day, how many days were in a week or even a year?

There was no guarantee that this world was the same as Earth. It’d be highly unlikely to be the case. 

Even if she knew, what then? 

Where was this path taking her? Where did she want to go?

She needed more information, but that came at a significant risk. Who knows how the people of this world treated travelers from distant realms? For all Autumn knew, they’d kill her as soon as they found out.

“Do you want the first watch or shall I?” Nethlia asked from beside Autumn, breaking her train of thought.

“I’ll take first watch, if you don’t mind.”

At the moment, Autumn wasn’t feeling tired. She wanted to watch the twinkling stars and ponder what it was she wanted. Nethlia pulled her fur blankets tighter around herself and snuggled deeper into Kira’s side after hearing Autumn’s reply. 

“Wake me when Belmanerth is overhead.”

Autumn stared blankly at the two moons that had only just begun their march across the black expanse above. She hazarded a guess that Belmanerth was the bigger white moon. Gazing at it now, she saw craters littered it, much like Earth’s own moon. A shield to the world below.

In the end, Autumn’s watch was uneventful, and the night passed her by with only the hoots of night owls for company.

With the white moon high, Autumn awoke Nethlia before nestling herself down in furs and warmth. Sleep claimed her as soon as her eyes closed.

Achievement: First Companion!

For the next few chapters things cool down. What did you all think of the intro? Do you like my characters?

29