Chapter 15
709 2 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I have returned with a new chapter. Enjoy~.

In another subject, I couldn't have picked a better time for some vacation, because last week my internet was down. Therefore, even if I wanted to post a chapter, I wouldn't be able to do it.

So, I spent last week playing games to the point of feeling burned out. Thus, I returned to writing.

Nova and me were now, unlike before, taking a bath seriously. Although we already cleaned ourselves and we were just enjoying the bath now.

"Nova."

"Hm."

"Is there anything going on?"

"Like what?"

"I don't know… I am just trying to make a conversation."

"Then let me ask you in return. Why were you doing the thing with the gem?"

"You mean tempering?"

"Yes, that."

"I met an acquaintance after leaving you in the orphanage and one thing led to another and I ended up helping her build a robot."

"What's a robot?"

"Perhaps you know them as automata?"

"I think I heard about them. They participated in a war or something."

"Yes and no. They're basically dolls that necromancers use."

"And you want to build that?"

"It's not the same."

"How so?"

"This one is going to have its own will."

Nova turned silent for a moment "Then, are you creating life?"

My head went blank "No… I mean, who knows. We'll see."

"That does not sound safe…"

I shrugged. "By the way. Are you coming with this afternoon or will do your own stuff?"

"Is there anything special you're doing today?"

"Just helping build the robot."

"Can I help you?"

"Yes. If you do not exert yourself even more."

"You're saying as if I am a piece of glass." 'she sounds displeased'

"You are in a way. You were overworked yesterday and today you exerted yourself by doing rather obscene things with me."

"I did not do obscene things!"

"You groped my breasts."

"That was your fault!?"

"How?"

"Huh? You kissed me so I retaliated."

"That does not seem fair."

"Huh?"

"I only kissed you on the cheek whereas you groped me violently. It's not fair. To be fair I should also grope you as much as you did with me." I motioned my fingers in an obscene way

Nova put her arms in front of her breast and recoiled "Are you pervert?"

"Yes, I am." I said while softly laughing

"You're just messing with me again, aren't you?"

"Nova, dear. When was I not messing with you~?"

She sighed. I noticed that she still had bite marks over her face so I gestured for her to approach.

"What are you trying to do now?" she asked suspiciously

"Such untrustworthiness in me."

"After all you have done, I am surprised I still talk to you."

I moved fast enough that she could not react in time before being once more in my arms.

"What are you doing?" she asked with a low voice

"Are you going to try to fight back?"

"No." she sighed "I've learned my lesson."

"Oh. That makes me sad." I said with mock sadness in my voice. I put my hand on her cheek and she recoiled back.

"Calm down. I will not do anything that will harm you." I used a soft but at the same time serious voice "I will just heal you, ok?"

She calmed down "Hn."

I started to use [Healing hands] on her face to heal her bite marks. Wherever my hand passed, the marks faded. Not completely as there were some red spots here and there, but I would leave that for her natural regeneration.

When I was almost done. Nova grabbed my hand and put it on her cheek once more.

"This feels good." She said

"Is that so?"

"You didn't know?"

"Not really. Perhaps it only feels that way to the one being healed?"

"Did you not heal yourself?"

"Yes, but I used my life energy to heal me whereas I used a neutralized life energy for you."

"Neutralized?"

"I will tell you later. Today I am not in the mood for teaching about energy and other stuff."

Silence fell. I watched Nova, she had a thoughtful expression and was caressing the back of my hand with her fingers before sighing.

"You're cheating."

"Where did that come from?"

"I don't know how to feel with you. Sometimes you make me really mad then sometimes you're like this and make me feel relaxed. I just don't know whether I hate you or I like you."

I snorted "What got you in this mood?"

"Uncle Zane told me it was possible for an orphan to decide where or not be with the adopted family." 'Crap Zane, why did you tell her that!?'

"And what is your answer?"

"If I said that I don't want to be with you, what would you do?"

That caught me a little of guard but I answered nonetheless "I would respect your decision and wish a better future for you."

She looked disappointed with my response "Is that so."

I pocked her cheek "What did you expect? That I would take you for myself while ignoring your will? That would not be okay with me. The reason being that I want us to be happy, if only one of us is happy while the other is not, that would be the worst. So, if you don't want to be adopted by me, screw it and I'll comply."

"Was that your attempt to make me feel better or something? If so, it did not work."

"You asked me a question and I answered it honestly."

"Then, you would not mind not adopting me?"

"I've never said that."

"You just did."

"I only told you what actions I would take. I never said I would not mind it. I'm pretty sure that I would be quite depressed if that happened."

She became more cheerful "Is that so~." She laid against my chest

I pocked her cheek once more "Why do you become happy only when I suffer? Also, my chest is not a pillow."

She did not respond even after I pocked her cheek again. I shrugged.

"Let's change the subject."

"To what?"

"I don't know…" 'What would a girl want to talk about?' "How about our love lives?"

"What? Why?"

"Is that not a topic that girls like to talk about?"

"… Then you start."

"Let's see. My love life is nonexistent."

"That's it!?"

"Yup, that's it."

"So, you never entered a relationship or anything like that." I shook my head "Not even a first love?"

I thought about it "Maybe once."

"Oh! So, there's something." 'this topic really interests her. She's a girl after all'

"I don't know if it was truly love, but there was a time where there was this girl that I could not take my eyes off."

"Give me more details."

"There aren't any details. Maybe a thing to take note of is that she was not my type."

"Go on."

I smiled bitterly "I prefer women who are more… what's a good way to say it? Bigger in some parts, you see. She was skinny all around."

"So, you fell in love with someone that wasn't your type. And then…"

"Nothing. Like I said my love life is null. I ignored the feeling and time flew. That is about it."

"That's a shame."

"You could say I was a coward. However, I don't want to be in a relationship."

"Why?"

"From what I heard about relationships from my friends, they are a pain."

Nova had a thoughtful expression "… Aren't you in a relationship with me, in a way?"

I processed her words 'In a way, she's like a girlfriend. She is family but does not have blood relations with me' "You're right and you are a pain. However, you are my pain."

"You're also a pain~." She returned cheerfully

"Your turn."

"Me?"

"Yes."

"Well, I'm kind of like you. I never had any relationship with somebody."

"And?"

Nova started fidgeting "Well, I do have someone I am in love with."

"You mean now?"

"… Yes." She answered softly

"And?"

"And, what?"

"Come on. Don't feign ignorance. Give me more details." I was getting into it when I wasn't the target of the conversation

"…" she turned her head away from me

"I'm waiting~."

She sighed "Fine. What do you want to hear?"

"Start from the beginning."

"Well… I think it was love at first sight." She stopped there

"Keep going."

"Just wait. I'm thinking." She cleared her throat "I did not fell in love with her appearance. It was her presence that made me fall." She said with a faraway look 'remembering her'

"Her presence?" I could not understand her

"It is hard to describe. I mean she is beautiful but there is this thing about her that makes her different." 'Now that makes it easier to understand. In other words, she's special.'

"Did you make contact with her?"

"Contact?"

"Did you speak with her?"

Embarrassment became more pronounced on her face "… Yes."

"And then?"

"… We became friends."

"… Did you confess to her?"

"…… No…" Shame joined her embarrassment

"Do you plan to confess to her?"

"At first I did. Now I'm scared."

"You're scared of destroying your friendship by confessing to her?"

"… Yes." And she turned silent

I tried to break the silence "I cannot help in this particular subject. However, can I ask you something?"

She nodded.

"Are you fine with your relationship as it is?"

She stiffened and answered "… No …"

"Then you know what to do."

"But I can't! I tried multiple times! However, every single time, I could not get the words out of my mouth!" she regained the breath she lost with her outburst "It's weird." She depressed

"What is?"

"I mean, if I can tell you all this, why can't I just… confess… to her…?" Tears were starting to gather on her eyes

She looked at me and asked with her heart "Can you help me?"

To her honest feelings, I replied "No."

She got a little shocked from my answer. "I understand. You do not have any love advice that can help me."

"That and because it is you who should tell her your feelings."

"I know." She nodded solemnly

'I really want to help her but I do not know how' "Oh. I might have something."

Nova perked to attention "You do!?" 'she's been really worried about this.''

"Hold down your horses. It is just an advice and a terrible one at that."

"I'll take anything at this point."

"Have you heard of the saying "A cornered mouse will bit" or something like that."

"But a mouse always bit."

"Are you thinking about those bigger with 30 centimeters height and more?"

"Yeah, those."

"Those are rats and do not let yourself get bit by them. They carry disease. The mouse is a smaller version of it and will always run away from danger."

"Ok, I get. You want me to corner her and confess. It is not a bad plan but the problem here is me."

"I was thinking more backwards. Put yourself in a situation where you no choice than confess to her."

Nova looked at me with a weird look "That really is bad advice."

"Told you so." I shrugged

Nova started pondering.

"Hey Nova. How old are you?"

I broke her line of thought "Where did that come from?"

"Just answer my question."

"I'm twelve, although I am almost thirteen." 'I need to prepare for it'

"When will you have your birthday?"

"In a month." 'Already!?'

I hid my thoughts and bopped her nose. "You're only twelve, you have many more years to go. Don't think that this decision will destroy your life."

She swatted away my finger "It may not destroy my life, but I will definitely regret it forever." 'Sometimes, she's smart beyond her years'

I shrugged "Such is life. Anyway, get ready to leave, we've been in the bath for too long."

"Okay."

I let go of Nova and got out from the bath. I used fire energy to evaporate all the water clinging to my body and started wearing my clothes.

"Hey." Nova pulled on my clothes

"Yes?"

"Dry me too."

"Right."

I used a combination of heat and air to dry her. After that she wore her clothes.

I spread my arms and said "Now, my dear Nova, come to my arms."

"Please don't say in such a way."

"What way?" I tilted my head, feigning innocence

She sighed and jumped at me. I caught her in a princess carry.

"Where to?" I asked

"I think I will return to the orphanage and rest for the day."

"Then shall we depart, my Lady?"

"Please- you know what. I don't care anymore."

I pouted "You're no fun."

She ignored me.

I shook my head and started running. I did not rush. Thus, we took some time to arrive. I was about to knock on the door of the orphanage.

"You know that you don't have to knock on the door every time? You can just enter inside." Nova stopped me. She wriggled out of my arms since I wasn't paying much attention to it and stood on the ground.

I sighed with much sadness and said "You could have just granted me my pleasure."

"Knocking on the door?"

"No, you fool." I lightly poked her forehead "Holding you."

"Well." She opened the door and just before closing it she said "It's not mine." Then she stuck out her tongue and closed the door.

I looked at the door stunned and chuckled "Cheeky girl."

I turned back and decided to go back to Yukiria's shop since it wasn't lunchtime yet.

'Each time I walk these streets, the town seems to become more complete. There are street signs now here and there with the name of the streets written in them. Furthermore, the quantity of decorative items is increasing, meaning that the priority of the town has changed.'

I kept scanning the town while walking.

'What will I do? I know that I may have enough money so that Nova and I live together with quite a rich lifestyle. However, that also means that I don't have anything to do. Sure, taking care of Nova will take time and money, but one day she will become independent, more than she already is. I should find something that can occupy my time when that happens.'

As I looked at the buildings a thought entered my mind 'Oh yeah, I forgot. Shouldn't I be searching for an architect to draw a blueprint for my house.' My next step found. I marched to the commercial area. That's where there should be an architect or information about one.

Once I arrived at the lively commercial area, I asked a nearby passerby "Excuse me, do you know where to find an architect?"

"An architect? Hmm… You should try going up the street. Over there are the calmer businesses and architects should be among them."

"Is that so. Thank you for the information."

"No problem."

I followed the passerby's instructions and entered the calmer area of the commercial district. There were street signs, so it was easy to navigate and with passersby's advice, I found what I believe to be an architect office.

Right now, I was waiting for the architect in his office.

"I'm sorry for making you wait. I've been busy with fixing this place up." Said the architect

"No problem. The wait wasn't that long."

"Let's end the pleasantries here. Now, what can I do for you?"

"I looking to build a house and I want you to choose its location and draw the blueprint."

The architect brushed his bearded chin with his hand while thinking 'I used to that with mine' "Okay. Can you give me more information?"

"Of course. Well, I did a job for the mayor's secretary and as a reward I got a permit to build a residence where I want if it is on the ridge of town and how I want."

"Oh! I've heard a similar story. Who was it from…? Trevor… Yup, it was him. I heard he was looking for a team to build a house. Was it you who hired him?" 'Looks like Trevor been to places'

"I did contact him."

"He's a good one. What about the permit? Do you have it?"

"Not yet. I was told that I would receive it later."

"Then, technically, you have it. However, it is not on your person."

"That's correct."

"Without the permit, we will not be able to start the construction."

"That is fine by me. I just want the location and the blueprint for now."

"Do you know the dimensions?"

"I do not know the amount of ground area I can use. However, the house itself, I'm pretty much free."

"I would like to have the dimensions of the ground area before I start drawing something." He picked up a notebook and a pencil "However, I will note your preferences for the house for later. Would you please start?"

"I'm thinking of a two-story house, with a cellar. The second floor should have a terrace."

"I understand. Can you describe me the floors?"

"The ground floor will be the living area whereas the second, the sleeping area."

"What do you mean by living area?"

"Kitchen, dinner room, living room. What else…? Oh, right." I took the tree-shaped gem from my inventory "This could be an inscription pillar for the house. Maybe put it in the living room. I do plan to make it bigger."

"An inscription pillar… Are you sure you want it to be in the living room? Shouldn't it be in a more hidden place?"

"It is such a waste seeing its shape. Furthermore, there is no better place more hidden than in plain sight, right?"

He shrugged "If that is what you want. Although, do you also have a life force inscription pillar?"

"No. Why?"

"It helps having one, because the house will be made of wood. It will keep the wood vibrant. Furthermore, if there is some damage, it will heal it."

"Heh~. I did not know about that. Then, I will prepare a life force one too."

"Ok. From what you told me: You want the top area to be the sleeping area. Therefore bedrooms. Do you also want the bath to be on this floor?"

"I did not expect to have this much freedom of choice. As for the bath, I am indecisive whether to put it on the top or the bottom…"

"I am only taking your preferences, whether that will be how it will be built or not is up for the future. Although, I already have an idea in my head. I imagine you want the bath to be big?"

"Already? I did not expect it to be that fast. The bath should big enough for two people, more than that and it will too much."

"It comes with experience. The bedrooms?"

"Double-bed for two bedrooms with clothing drawers. If there is the possibility for another bedroom it will be a single bed."

"Are you sure you want only two floors?"

"You're the expert here." I shrugged "If you think more floors are better, then go for it."

The architect scratched his head with the pencil and sighed "I really need to have the dimensions of the ground area to have a concrete vision of it." He put down the notebook and pencil "Let's end it here, for now."

"Next time, should I come with the permit?"

"Preferably, yes."

"Well, thank you in advance for your work."

"It is my job." He waved it off "Anyway, I will enter in contact with Trevor and his team to discuss the upcoming construction. Although, we really need the permit to continue."

"I understand." I got up from my seat and said "Goodbye."

"Until next time." Is the answer I got back.

I exited the office and entered the main commercial road.

'That was kind of a waste of time, but at the same time not. I really need that permit. Anyway, let's leave this subject for now and return to Yukiria.'

I arrived at the shop and entered it.

"Welcome. What can I get you?" said Yukiria excitedly from the counter

"Hello. I see you have forgot about me once again."

"What?" asked Yukiria perplexed

"One hint: robot."

"Oh!" she exclaimed with realization 'Why? I do not understand how someone can easily forget someone in a few hours and always remembering them by her projects.'

"So, what did you do?" asked Yukiria

"What, exactly?"

"For the robot! You cannot have done nothing during the time you were not here!"

"I just went to see my daughter."

"You have a daughter?"

"Let's not start this again…" I sighed "I did work on something." on I took the gem I was working with this morning and showed to her "This."

She inspected and pointed at it "This is just a gem, isn't it? Although it is a very high-tiered one."

I looked at the gem "Oh, right. I forgot to do this." I started to slowly but surely emptying the gem of energy. The gem lost its glow and became darker and darker. 'There was more energy than I expected. Must be because I unconsciously kept feeding it while messing around with Nova.' "Now, it should be fine."

She looked at it again "Now it is just an empty gem. I do not understand what you want to show me?"

I sighed "This is the eye."

She looked at it once more and hit her fist on her opened palm with a "Oh! So that's what it is!" She took the gem from my and started scanning it more carefully "So it is proven."

"What is?" I tilted my head

"Common gems are normally transparent. The higher its tier, the brighter they are. However, this is a dark high-tiered gem. Not because it has a dark energy inside but because it lacks energy and is absorbing energy from the surroundings. Thus, light is energy or a combination of energy."

"Was it not the same on Earth?" 'With photons and stuff'

"I think it is slightly different."

"How?"

"I do not know and I do not care! With this we are one step closer to the robot maid."

"I wonder why you want to make a robot maid?" I thought out loud

She looked at me and put a proud expression "To sell it, of course!"

"What?" I was surprised by her answer

"Even a single whisper of a robot maid will make every single horny teenager crazy and I will become rich!"

I put my hand in front of my heart to stop the bleeding caused by barbed words and asked "You want to become rich? Why?"

"Why else?" she looked at me like I was a fool "To keep doing my experiments! Do you know how much money it my experiments cost!?" 'Ramble incoming'

I did not know if I should keep my mouth shut but I settled it with "No."

"A lot! Sometimes, some of them can be sold. However, most of them, aren't profitable! Therefore, it creates a hole in my savings making it impossible to keep experimenting!"

"Okay…" I could not understand her plight

"Anyway!" she clapped her hand "Let's talk about the robot."

"Let's. What needs to be done?"

"The frame is done!"

"Already?"

"That was the easiest part!" 'That's right, she said that she never had problems with the frame. It was everything else.'

"I struggled with the ear for a while but I believe I got a working prototype." She continued "And with your eye, we are making some good progress!"

"The eye is not actually complete. I still need to put that gem inside another that will empty that one."

She gave me the gem with "Here you go. Make another one while you are at it."

"The problem is: I do not know how big I should make them?"

She thought about it for a second then she went inside her workshop 'I believe that is what it is by looking at the tools on the floor'. When she got back, she brought what I think to be one of her attempts at making eyes. "It should be around this big." She showed me the "eye". It looked like somewhat like a camera.

"Why did this one never worked?" I curiously asked

She shrugged "Because it was designed to capture light and not quote on quote "light"" she said while she made the quote on quote gestures with her fingers

"I see. Well then, I will get to it." I started scanning my inventory for my inscription equipment. However, I could not find it. Then a thought hit me: 'Did I save the equipment inside my inventory while I was with Nova…? I did not, did I.'

While holding back the feeling to face-palm myself, I told Yukiria "I will work on it and get back to you later."

Yukiria tilted her head "Why?" Then she hit her fist on her opened palm "Oh! I get it! You want to work in a place where you can concentrate." She nodded to herself

"Yes. That's it." I went along with her assumption

"Ok. That is fine. When will you get back?"

"It will be lunch time soon 'I feel like I can skip lunch for days. However, I do not want to lose one of the few pieces left of my humanity'. I will eat then I will get to work. Therefore, I should be back a few hours after lunch."

"It is lunch time already." Yukiria though while rubbing her stomach "I feel like I haven't eaten in days… I will go with you then!"

'Have you actually eaten…?' is a question that I did not ask out loud. All I could say to an already decided Yukiria was "Let's go." 'Thieves have been calm these days, perhaps they will just ignore my bare bones inscription equipment.'

We exited the shop. Yukiria put the "Closed" sign on the door and we made our way to the inn. For once, I came early. Therefore, we were able to be near the front of the line and now, we were waiting for the inn to open.

"What kind of enchanter are you?" Yukiria questioned

"Hmm?" I was a little taken back and tilted my head

"Just trying to make a conversation to pass time."

"Well… I am a combat-focused enchanter."

"So, you do combat inscriptions."

"Yes. Although, one of the reasons why I took enchanting as a profession is because it is an easy to do hobby." 'Another reason for why is because it is one of my hidden trump cards.'

Enchantments are invisible to the naked eye, therefore, to have information on a particular enchantment is by either holding the item and check the pathways drawn inside or by bribing the enchanter or by just guessing what it is. This way I can have personal enchantments with almost no worries.

"A hobby?"

"Mostly. What about you?"

"Me?"

"Yes."

She thought about her answer "I don't really know. I mean, I do not know why I started playing. However, inventing has always been my jam. Maybe that is why. This game lets, excuse me, the game allowed me play with a whole bunch of materials and get so many results. From splendid failures to unexpected solutions!"

"Eh~." Was my response to her passion

"What is that reaction!?"

"Nothing. I mean, it's cool you feel that way about something."

"You're saying as if you don't understand my feelings." She knitted her brows while looking at me

"Well… I don't really have anything to passionate about."

"You don't?"

I nodded.

She looked at me with pity "To live with no passion. Such a sorrowful life."

That sentence ticked me off "I may have something I do enjoy."

"Oh! And what is it, then?" she looked at me with a disbelieving face

I thought about it 'Something. Anything' "I like getting strong." Is what got out of my mouth

"You enjoy the sensation of becoming strong?" she tilted her head "Are you a muscle head?"

"No." I firmly declared 'Me think, okay'

"Then, why?"

"Because the stronger I am, the more peaceful my life will be."

She closed her eyes and put a thinking pose then she opened her eyes and said "I don't get it."

I shrugged.

The inn finally opened and the line started moving, grabbing Yukiria's attention, leaving myself to my thoughts.

'Even I cannot understand why that was my answer…'

27