Chapter 9 – A Nostalgic Taste
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Forcing me to go out so early in the morning… ugh…” Noah groaned as he placed two bottles of juice in a basket. It was a Friday, and Noah’s mother Noelle asked him to go out to buy some groceries.

However, there was a reason. When Noah told his mother about how Maki and Myu both accepted the invite, she got so excited that she already had the menu prepared. Now, buying groceries per his mother’s orders, Noah stood in front of the vegetable section finishing up his shopping.

It’s been a while since I last saw her excited… Noah thought as he picked up some vegetables. His mother had a calm demeanor, she wasn’t the type to get visibly excited, as she maintained a soft smile no matter the event. However, when he told his mother about the two that accepted their invitation, she seemed like a completely different person.

“Well, it’s nice to still see her in high spirits even after everything that happened.” Leaving the store, Noah murmured to himself. Back when his father passed away, the cries of agony and sadness that he heard from his mother… were simply devastating.

He was powerless at the time, so he couldn’t do anything. That’s why even if it meant doing the housework and managing their income, Noah made everything within his reach to help his mother. This was his goal as of now.

As Noah walked home with the groceries in hand, at one other place a duo of girls found themselves inside a pastry shop as they decided on something to buy as a gift. While one had an overwhelming cool charm, the other one had this bubbly and cute atmosphere around her. Both Maki and Myu, prepared to visit an old acquaintance.

“So, are we going with teacakes?” (Maki)

“Dunno.” (Myu)

“...Please say something useful…” (Maki)

Cheesecakes, chocolate cakes, cupcakes… they had a wide range of options to choose from. Yet whenever Maki suggested something, all Myu gave was a simple shrug accompanied with a “Dunno”.

“...What about some madeleines?” Said Myu.

“Oh, now that sounds like a good idea. It’s not really common, so it’s definitely worth it!” (Maki)

The two bought a dozen of madeleines and left the store with the box in Myu’s hands. They were scheduled to meet with the, at five in the afternoon, yet it was only ten in the morning, so they had more than enough time.

“Maki.” (Myu)

“What’s up~?” (Maki)

“Couldn’t we have bought them two hours before meeting up? They taste better freshly bought, right?” (Myu)

“Well yeah, but I thought it would be better if we bought them as soon as possible. I want to go over there at least an hour early…? I should contact Noah right now and ask if that’s okay.” (Maki)

She took out her phone and rapidly sent a message to Noah as Myu simply looked around the place. Soon enough, Maki received a reply with a simple “Sure, let me give them a heads up.” and nothing more.

“Looks like we have the go ah— Areh? Myu?” Maki said as she looked around once she noticed Myu was nowhere to be found. “Myu?!” She exclaimed. “I was buying an ice cream.” She said with an ice cream in her mouth. “Yeah, I can see that…” (Maki)

“Hold on, there’s some really nice looking cake at that place in front.” Myu walked towards a store with sparkling eyes, only to be stopped by Maki. “We just came from a pastry shop! Myuuuuuu!” She said as she grabbed Myu by the collar.

“Eh~” (Myu)

At the Mizuhara Residence, Noah was working side by side with his mother, Noelle. He was told by Maki that they would come an hour in advance, since they felt that was the right thing to do. Noah couldn’t complain, as he knew his mother was extremely excited to receive some old acquaintances.

“Mom, didn’t you make too much?” Noah asked as he pointed towards the wide arrangement of dishes. “My, did I know? W-well, the more the better, right?” (Noelle)

“I’m pretty sure that only is valid with people…” He sighed.

“Oh?” As Noah placed the palm of his hand on his forehead, the two heard the bell ring. Noah simply gave a small ‘I’ll get it’ and headed towards the door. As he opened it, he saw two girls standing side by side.

“You two had no problems coming here, right?” Noah asked the two. “All good.” Myu said. “No problemo!” Maki followed with.

“I’m glad. Come in, my mother is waiting for you two.” As the two nodded, they stepped inside the house, they followed Noah to the living room and as they stepped inside… the two were immediately immobilized due to a hug.

“It’s been ages, girls! Oh my gosh, you two have grown so much!” Her long black hair tickled the two, and left with a shocked face, Noah gazed at his mother hugging his two childhood friends with an extremely happy expression on her face.

He chuckled, and went behind his mother, “Mom, that should be enough… let’s not trouble them too much.” He said.

“It’s okay! I haven’t seen Ms. Noelle for so long! It’s been a while.” Maki said, returning the hug. Myu simply stood quiet with a complicated expression on her face.

After the touching reunion, Noelle let go of the two and told them to take a seat, having dinner ready in no time. Glancing around, Maki quickly noticed something. “Pss, Noah. You said your mother got remarried, right?” (Maki)

“Hm? Yeah, I did.” Noah whispered back.

“Where are they, then?” From what she heard, Noah had a step-father and step-brother now, two people he didn’t know how to go along with. “Oh, conveniently, my brother went on a business trip together with my father. He’s in middle school, but apparently he wanted to go with him.” (Noah)

“I see.” (Maki)

The two had heard most about his current situation. Well, it wasn’t really a type of ‘situation’ as they put it, however, they still wanted to have a chance to at least meet his new brother, though they decided not to pry too much due to them being apart for a long while.

A few minutes later, Noelle emerged from the kitchen with the last few plates and told the three that dinner was ready. They wanted to do at least as much as setting the table, but Noelle heavily refused as she wanted to relieve the feeling of feeding them just like she did in the past.

With a grand amount of dishes and with their variety, Maki’s eyes sparkled while Myu looked in shock. “I’m surprised there’s so much…” Myu said in a mutter. “Fufu~ I think I got a little carried away!” (Noelle)

“A little, you say?” His son chuckled as he sat down at the table. The other two followed him and surrounded the arrangements of dishes. They all gave thanks for the food and started eating.

“Though you were quiet, you were quite the runner when you were little, so no wonder you chased an athletic department.” Noelle said while exchanging words with Myu first.

“That so?” She said as she took a mouthful of salad. “Unn. Ever since you were a child, although a bit shy, you were quite the mature one.” (Myu)

“That’s true! Myu was always so serious! Smile for us!” (Maki)

“Don’t wanna.” (Myu)

“Eeh~” Maki playfully whined. “What about Maki?” This time, Noelle turned to the brown-haired girl. “I’ve been getting into photography since middle school. I was in a club back then, so I joined one this time too.” She said with a smile.

“Heh~ Sounds fun!” With Noelle’s smile, Noah also smiled unconsciously, maybe it was the sight of his mother enjoying herself, but he felt extremely elated at the current situation.

“Still, I was surprised to see how much Noah changed.” Said Myu unexpectedly. At her words, Noelle rapidly turned and excitedly said, “Right?! I thought so too when he came all changed! It was so sudden!” (Noelle)

“H-huh? I thought you helped him.” (Maki)

“Ahaha, no no, he came with his hair all trimmed and with a pack of contact lenses all of the sudden one day after school, I was shocked the first time I saw him too.” (Noelle)

“...W-well, I kind of thought I should change… After all, I had quite the messy look…” Noah nervously chuckled, Maki nodded vigorously as well, “Well, you look like a gentleman now, so it seems you accomplished your goals at least.” Myu complimented.

“Haha… A-anyways, we still have some food to dig through, so let’s not have it get cold.” (Noah)

“Oya? Are you embarrassed?” Maki playfully teased? Myu sighed exasperatedly but then, chuckled slightly. “I-I’m not! Shut it.” (Noah)

“Doesn’t look like it to me~” Noelle joined in the fun. Noah shockingly turned to his mother, “Mom, not you too!” (Noah)

“Ugh,” He placed his hand on his forehead and got up, “I’ll go to the bathroom real quick, give me a bit.” He said as he walked off. When he was nowhere in sight and knowing she was safe, she turned to the two girls, who are all grown up.

“Thank you, Maki, Myu.” (Noelle)

“Eh? Thanks for what?” (Maki)

“We haven’t done much.” (Myu)

“Back when… my late husband passed away, I felt that due to my own weaknesses, I placed a heavy and undeniable burden on Noah. I feel like I made things up when I told him I would remarry. He always said he’s okay with it, but I can’t help but feel that maybe, he’s just forcing himself to be that way. That’s part of the reason as to why he never really made friends in middle school… He just kept taking care of me.” (Noelle)

“We only heard the basics from Noah, but what exactly happened? If I may ask, that is.” Maki said apologetically. Though she wanted to know what happened to Noah’s father, she wasn’t as insensitive as to force Noelle to tell her anything.

“He fell ill. Though it wasn’t anything threatening at first, it quickly escalated. We went to the doctor multiple times, but in the end they couldn’t do anything. Then, he passed away. I felt devastated, but I had to keep the house in one piece, all for Noah’s sake. However, it seems he thought of the same… Haha… like mother, like son.” Noelle smiled weakly.

“I feel like Noah will return soon, so let me tell you one last thing. Please, take care of him, okay?” She said, with a smile that brought them back in time, Maki and Myu both looked at each other, then at Noelle, and ultimately smiled and nodded.

“Of course!” (Maki)

“So, what did you guys talk about with my mother?” Noah asked as he escorted the both of them home. Maki, only placed her finger to her lips and with a cheeky laugh, teased. “It’s a secret~!” (Maki)

“Myu…?” He looked at Myu.

“Secret.” She shrugged her shoulders.

“I-I see…” Noah sighed. Eventually, it was only Maki and Noah, and when the two arrived near her house, Maki stopped. “Alright! This should do, thanks for escorting me. It was nice to see Ms. Noelle again!” She waved excitedly as she walked away. Noah only waved back, a little confused. Still, he decided to leave until he could no longer see Maki. When she was nowhere to be found, he turned on his heel and walked back home.

It would’ve been nice to see Brother Sasaki again, though… He thought as he walked.


(A/N)

Believe it or not, I've been in this chapter since LAST WEEK. Haha, I've been quite busy. Anyway, see you~

0