Chapter 8: A New Enemy
3.4k 3 98
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I slept through the night, and thanks to my curative potions, I'm back in shape.
It's a bit late, so I think I'll skip my morning training today.
I send a message to Rero Sansanti from my phone.

<Have you delivered the goods?>
<😠>
<Yep>
<😠>

I close my phone with a smirk. Smiling, I get out of bed and prepare for the school day.
I leave and head towards the building where my class is.
Without any particular rush, I stroll through the strangely deserted courtyard.

As I'm walking, I'm called by an unfamiliar voice. "Wagner!"
I turn to see who it is and find Luysia Camclair standing in front of me.
Her presence is imposing, and her gaze is icy. I wonder what she wants from me.

"Are you Strauss Wagner, right?" she asks as if ordering me to respond.

"In the flesh, and you must be Luysia Camclair, if I'm not mistaken," I reply with a nervous smile, trying to keep a light tone despite the tension in the air.

"What did you do during the match with Reis Vonner?" she asks, straightforwardly.
I feel an oppressive pressure on me, as if her aura is closing off every escape route.
She's clearly a very powerful person.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I reply cautiously, trying to maintain a neutral expression.

"Don't lie. Your statistics wouldn't have allowed you to inflict that much damage," she insists.
This is dangerous.
What does she know?

"Of course, I lost the match. Vonner is clearly stronger."

Luysia stares intensely into my eyes, as if trying to read the truth in my thoughts.
The situation becomes perilous, and I wonder how much she might know.

"I don't like liars. What are you hiding, Wagner?"

"First of all, I have no idea what you're talking about. Second, I don't know why I should talk to you about it."

With a speed that I can't even follow, she grabs me by the throat, lifting me off the ground.
How strong is she?!
She's choking me.

"What does 'FAKE CLASS' mean?" she asks coldly.
A shiver runs down my spine. Can she see my abilities?
No, it shouldn't be possible.
Maybe she can only see that?

"I can't breathe..."

[SCAN EYE]
{{ STATUS

LUYSIA CAMCLAIR
AGE: 18
LEVEL: 1
RANK: A
CLASS: Paladin
MAX HP: 600
MAX MP: 200
STRENGTH: 24
DEFENSE: 21
AGILITY: 21
INTELLIGENCE: 20

ABILITY:
[SEE EVIL] Passive ability that allows her to perceive and identify demonic magic.
?????
?????
?????
?????
STATUS}}

Beyond the monstrous statistics, her ability terrifies me.

[SEE EVIL]
Luysia has a problematic passive ability that allows her to see my demonic magic?
Can she see my curses? To what extent can she see?
Maybe she asked about "FAKE CLASS" because she can't dig deeper.

"Answer!" she says, tightening her grip.
Luysia continues to squeeze the life out of me, and the air becomes scarcer in my lungs.

"L-let me go..." I try to struggle unsuccessfully.

"Speak!" she orders without changing her merciless tone.

[[! OXYGEN LEVEL EXTREMELY LOW WARNING !]]
[[ !CONTINUING WILL BE GAME OVER! ]]

The system warns me of the obvious... As if I don't want to escape from this situation!
Everything turns grey around me.
Time slows down.

Suddenly, a new notification appears before my eyes.
The screen flashes in front of me, with a choice.

[[ DO YOU WANT POWER? ]]
[[ >YES
       NO ]]

Of course, I select 'Yes.'

[[ NEW ABILITY ACQUIRED: [DEMONIC HOLD] ]]

A new ability?!

{ABILITY}
[DEMONIC HOLD]
Mana Cost: Variable
Activation: Choose an amount of MP to spend on casting this spell. The amount of MP cannot exceed your current MP quantity.
Target: Single Target.
Effect: For each MP spent, paralyze a target for one second. Subtract the target's intelligence from the result. If the target's intelligence is higher than yours, divide the result by the target's intelligence.
WARNING: Any resistances or abilities may reduce or invalidate the result.
{ABILITY}

This ability is extremely useful!
Unfortunately, Luysia Camclair's intelligence is higher than mine.
But if I use all my 300 MP, I should be able to immobilize her for 15 seconds.
More than enough time to free myself.

"Hey, Camclair! LET HIM GO!" I hear a familiar voice just as I'm about to cast my new spell.
Rero Sansanti rushes to my aid.

"Samsanti?" Luysia is surprised.
Rero has her sword with her and she swings it down.
To avoid the strike, Luysia releases her grip and steps back.
I fall to the ground.

"Anf... Anf..." I can finally breathe.

"Rero Samsanti! Are you even attacking me with a weapon?" Luysia accuses with disapproval in her voice.
Rero replies determinedly, "Enough with this attitude, Luysia. We've known each other for a lifetime. Now you're bullying students?"

"I'm bullying? You have no idea what you're talking about. This man is hiding something. Something evil."

"The only evil here was you choking him," Rero retorts.

Luysia, returning to her cold tone, points her finger at Rero Samsanti. "Rero, your rank is a pathetic C. You're already a disappointment; don't make a bigger fool of yourself. I am a chosen paladin of the church, and my purpose is to destroy evil."

"You've always boasted about how superior you are to me! Let's see if that's still the case!" Rero challenges her.

"Samsanti, I don't think it's a good idea!" I tell her.
But she doesn't listen.

"You know there's too much of a difference, but if that's what you want, I'll teach you a lesson," says the icy, confident woman.

"I can't wait," Rero replies determinedly.
Then she opens one of the vials I gave her and drinks it in one go. She feels the surge of power within her, and the warmth in her body increases. Thanks to the potion, her statistics increase, approaching those of Luysia.

[HALBERD OF FAITH]
Luysia summons a weapon of light, a halberd as the name of her magic suggests.
The weapon emits a blinding light and looks like a mythical, divine weapon.
I can't see the ability description, but I can clearly see that it has significantly boosted the strength and agility of the blonde, which were already sky-high.

The duel begins with Rero lunging forward with a swift strike towards Luysia.
The latter, however, skillfully dodges the attack thanks to her agility and responds with a powerful counterattack.
The blade of her halberd sparkles in the air, but Rero manages to block the attack with her sword, and the clang of metal fills the air.

The fight continues with a series of rapid and precise exchanges of blows. Luysia demonstrates her superiority in terms of skill and strength, while Rero compensates with the increase in her statistics. However, it's clear that Luysia has the upper hand.

"How can you be so strong? Is it that man's fault? That Wagner? Now I sense the same dark aura coming from you, Rero."

"Focus on the fight, Luysia!"

The two women move gracefully in their duel, dancing around each other. Luysia tries to land powerful and precise strikes on Rero, while Rero tries to use her newfound agility to find an opening in the paladin's armor.

Meanwhile, I observe the fight with vigilant eyes.
I feel the desperation as Rero is pushed further and further back, on the verge of defeat.
I will have to intervene.

Despite Rero's efforts, Luysia is clearly more experienced and has a higher ability. The weapons of the two women clash once more.
Rero's sword shatters, leaving her exposed and incredulous.
With a powerful kick, Luysia sends her crashing to the ground. Rero is lying on the ground, injured and dazed.
Camclair, in her blind fury, is ready to deliver the lethal blow.
She's mad.
She won't spare her.
I have to intervene.

[DEMONIC HOLD]
Using a substantial portion of my magic points (MP), I cast the spell on the paladin.
A dark energy that only I can see surrounds Luysia, paralyzing her.

Luysia is surprised and frightened by the paralyzing experience.
"W-what the hell... d-did you... d-do, W-Wagner?"

"Do you want to know the truth? Well, I'll tell you," I say as I approach to help Rero get up.

"R-release me..."

I can feel her frustration as she struggles to break free from the grip unsuccessfully.
My new ability is overpowered.

"Soon you will be. Listen to me, Camclair. I officially challenge you to a duel."

Her eyes light up in surprise.

This is a desperate move, but I need to buy some time.

"In seven days, valid for school results."

In this academy, we have the opportunity to challenge anyone we want if the other party accepts the duel.

"If you win, I'll tell you everything. If you lose, I want you to leave me alone." I impose the conditions.

"I accept," she replies coldly, without any hesitation in her eyes.

*DLING*
[CURSE CONDITION MET]
[[Curse Successfully Implanted: 150 Exp Earned]]

I trust in her Paladin's honor.

"Good, then we'll meet at 6:00 PM at the arena in seven days," I say as I walk away with Samsanti.

"If you're not there, I'll come looking for you." She threatens without taking her eyes off me.
The paralysis from the [DEMONIC HOLD] spell ends at that moment, and Luysia Camclair, having regained control of her body, walks away without revealing her emotions.

Fortunately, we didn't attract the attention of the teachers.

As soon as we're far enough away, Rero asks me, "Are you crazy? You can't beat her!"

"Listen to who's talking. What did you think you were going to do?" I retort.

"I can't stand her! She's always been like that... so full of herself... I've known her since we were kids."

Rero is frustrated and clearly has an inferiority complex.

"With your potion, I thought I could finally catch up to her..." she says, clenching her fist in frustration.
Then she grabs my arm with all her strength.
"Wagner... Can you make me stronger? Much stronger?"

"Yes," I reply honestly. "But are you ready to pay the price?"

"Yes, I don't want to be weak anymore. Please help me."

With an instinctive gesture, I place a hand on her head. Almost affectionately.
I'm proud of you, Rero.
You're becoming a perfect pawn.

"W-what are you doing?" she asks, embarrassed, although she clearly appreciates it.

"If you surrender yourself to me, I'll make you more powerful than you can imagine," I promise.

It's time to work hard.
I need to level up and complete the demonic contract ritual.
I have seven days.
Luysia Camclair, I will break you.
I won't go easy on you like I am with Rero Samsanti or with the caution I'm exercising with Professor Merfal.
No, I will utterly shatter you.
I will destroy you.
You humiliated me.
You put me in danger.
You know too much.
You've awakened the hatred that was dormant in me.
You won't make it to that duel.

It's time to be truly evil.

[[ DO YOU WANT POWER? ]]
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
98