Chapter 42: Auction
1.4k 4 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Winter is approaching, but despite that, it's a clear day, and the sun is shining in the sky.
Welze Juble walks through the city streets, her blue hair shining in the sunlight.
She is accompanied by Strauss Wagner, a classmate.

Welze Juble would have never imagined receiving an invitation to go out from Strauss.
Despite being friends, as they stroll through the city, people observe them as if they were a couple, generating a sense of embarrassment in Welze. Why does she feel this way?
After all, Strauss is just a friend with whom she shares a passion for reading.
She is in love with her childhood friend, Franz Dadref.
Yet, when she is with Strauss, she strangely feels at ease.
Except for today when the situation seems like a full-fledged date.

They even went to that famous café that has been trending lately, where she could order a very good cappuccino.
Even though what Strauss offers her at school is always better. Is it because he brings it to her?

Despite the embarrassment, she cannot deny that the outing is enjoyable, but she is curious to know why she was invited and not one of the other women who hover around him.

"Strauss, why didn't you ask Rero or Luysia to accompany you?"
"I wanted to be in your company," he replies nonchalantly.
"And I need your help."
"My help?" the blue-haired girl asks, unaware of how she can assist the boy.
"Yes, you have a skill that no one else I know possesses." Welze reflects on the skills she has.
She doesn't think she has any abilities that could be useful. "Which skill are you referring to?"
"[IDENTIFY], a very useful spell for what we need to do today," he answers with a smile.

The spell in question allows one to determine whether an object is magical or not, and if it originates from a dungeon.
The caster selects an object that must be touched or seen within a one-meter radius to cast the spell.
If it's a magical item or another magical object, the caster learns about its properties and how to use them.
The spell also reveals if the object is influenced by any enchantments and specifies what those enchantments are.
If the object was created by a spell, the caster discovers which spell brought it into existence.

"Do you want me to help you identify if an object is magical?" Welze asks.
"Exactly. Only you can assist me in this, Welze."
Welze Juble finally understands Strauss's intentions.
He wants to leverage her ability at the auction they are heading to.
"I hope to find a magical weapon at a good price," he tells her.
"But weapons of this kind have insane prices," Welze comments.
"Not necessarily. Often, many of these don't have enough magical power or practical uses," explains Strauss. "They are often low-level loot, and if they can't sell it, guilds organize auctions like the one we're going to."
"So they're discards, how can they be useful to you?"

"Well, for me, the important thing is that they have the [CONJURE] feature. I hope, with your identifying skill, to find hidden gems," explains Strauss, trying to involve her in his enthusiasm.
"But excuse me, Strauss, there will be others with the [IDENTIFY] ability like me. Don't you think it's unlikely that we'll be able to find a weapon that hasn't already been scrutinized by other wizards?" Welze asks, posing a reasonable question.
"You're right, but it's worth a try. And besides, it's an opportunity to be together," he replies with a smile, winking at her.
Surprised by his response, Welze blushes.
Indeed, it's an unusual activity compared to her routine of studying and reading.
Going to an auction doesn't happen every day.

The two reach the headquarters of the Depths Horses guild, where the auction for magical items will take place.
The building housing the Depths Horses guild is not comparable to the skyscrapers of more prominent guilds, but it is still a large multi-story structure.

Indeed, the Depths Horses guild is not one of the most renowned, and it's likely that they will find low-value items, precisely what the man is looking for.

In the room preceding the auction hall, weapons and various objects are on display.
The room is furnished with display tables and showcases containing the items.
The air is thick with excitement and anticipation as other people wander around, examining the showcased items.
Welze and Strauss begin to analyze the objects using Welze's [IDENTIFY] ability.

Here is a sword with a thin blade, probably coming from a dungeon. Next to it, an amulet that seems to retain traces of magic.
Welze and Strauss identify items one after another.

They analyze so many that Welze begins to feel tired and runs out of MP.
Strauss gives her one of his special potions to restore MP.
The taste of Strauss Wagner's potions is unique.
At first, it seemed strange to her, but she can't help but feel a great satisfaction when she drinks them.

They pause at a weapon. A strange mace with a impractical shape.
Instead of being straight, it has an irregular, twisted form.
A mace more similar to a branch than a weapon.
Its structure vaguely resembles a tentacle, a strange mix between a mace and a spiked staff.

[IDENTIFY]
Welze casts the spell and identifies it.

"The magical energy is very low, practically as if it's not a magical object. However, it has the [CONJURE] skill," she informs the young man. Strauss's expression becomes serious, and he pauses to observe the displayed weapon, as if captivated by it.
"Are you sure it's just that? Doesn't it have a name?" he asks, with eyes as dark as the night.
"It doesn't have a name; it's a magically-imbued weapon, so to speak, of a very low level."
"Don't you sense an aura?"
"A-aura? What do you mean, Strauss?" the curious woman asks.

"Apparently, your skill has too low a level," says Strauss.
"I'm sorry..." Welze lowers her head sadly.
Strauss pats the girl on the shoulder to lift her spirits.
"No need to apologize. I believe only a few can see the reality of this mace."
"How do you know? You don't have identification abilities."
"It's hard to explain, but I can sense the aura. Let's say I'm accustomed to this type of aura."
Welze's expression is puzzled.

"Greetings! I see that something has caught your attention," a guild vendor greets them, noting their interest in the mace.
The vendor is dressed eccentrically in an all-white suit, a consistently white fisherman's hat, and sunglasses despite being inside.

"What can you tell us about this mace?" Strauss asks.
The vendor approaches the two and then whispers, "Do you believe in curses?"
"Of course," Strauss responds confidently.
Welze startles, not expecting such certainty on such an unusual topic. Is Strauss passionate about the subject?
"Well, all the previous owners of this mace have died," the vendor informs with a sinister grin, as if telling a horror story.
Strauss smiles, while Welze turns pale with fear.
"F-fear..." she instinctively clings to Strauss's arm.
Then, embarrassed, she distances herself.

"Do you not think it's counterproductive to tell this story to a potential buyer?" he asks the man.
The vendor laughs. "On the contrary! Besides this 'curse', it's a weapon of such low quality that our only hope is to attract horror story enthusiasts." he honestly explains.
Strauss smiles. "I'd say you've found one. I'm Strauss Wagner, studying at the Extrella Academy. This is my classmate, Welze Juble," says Strauss, extending his hand. The vendor shakes his hand.
"Nice to meet you, Wagner, and pleased to meet you, Miss Juble," he introduces himself with a bow.
"I'm Morgan Reeval from Depths Horses. I'm in charge of this auction."
"Tell me, Reeval, what's the starting bid for this mace?"
"A thousand credits for the cursed owner-killer, as we like to call it, to add a bit of spice."
"A decidedly low price."
"Frankly, we hope to get rid of it in this auction. Interested?"
"Yes, I'll place a bid."
"Excellent! The auction will start shortly. If you'll excuse me..."
"Of course, thank you for the information."

The vendor walks away.

"Do you really want to buy such a frightening item?" Welze asks worriedly.
"Don't you think it's somehow exciting? The starting bid is well below budget," Strauss smiles at her.

The story of the cursed mace and Strauss's enthusiasm add a unique atmosphere to the upcoming auction.
As they head towards the auction hall, Welze reflects on the strangeness of the day, which, all in all, is proving to be interesting.

The girl's eye lingers on a peculiar character dressed all in black.
Welze has the feeling that the individual is watching them.
The mysterious figure wears dark sunglasses, a baseball hat, and a black surgical mask. Clearly, they are suspicious.

"Did you notice it too?" Strauss asks, not particularly concerned.
"Are you referring to that person?"
"Don't point. They've been following us for a while. Just pretend you don't notice," he advises.
"O-okay, but won't it be dangerous?" the frightened girl asks.
"Don't worry, they mean no harm. Besides, I'm here with you," he smiles warmly.
Those dark eyes of his scare her, but when he smiles like that, she feels as if she's melting.
Strauss Wagner makes her feel like a moth drawn to flames.

*****

Strauss mentally prepares for the auction, while Welze is still somewhat shaken by the story of the mace and the mysterious stalker who has taken a seat in the auction hall. The room begins to fill with other buyers and onlookers, and the atmosphere becomes electric.

The earlier vendor, Morgan Reeval, takes on the role of the auctioneer.
"Welcome, dear guests, to this auction organized by our guild. Depths Horses is pleased to offer you these carefully selected precious pieces."

The audience applauds, but Welze and Strauss can hear some scornful comments about the supposed 'quality' of the auctioned items.

The auction begins, and one by one, various items are auctioned off.
Welze notices that Strauss is not very interested in them.
Some have an excessively high price, while others are simply rip-offs, as they have discovered using the [IDENTIFY] ability.

"And now, dear participants, we present our next offering! The sinister intricately mace, also known as the 'owner-killer' for its dark past. We start with a base bid of a thousand credits. Who bids higher?" announces Reeval with a mischievous smile.

"That piece of junk is a shameful scam; it's not even worth half a credit." Welze hears one of the participants dismiss.

And it seems to be a widespread sentiment.

Strauss prepares and confidently raises his hand.
"Fifteen hundred!" he declares, carefully scanning the room to assess any potential interested competitors. It doesn't seem like there are any.

However, a competitor from the other side of the room doesn't keep them waiting. "Two thousand!" they announce decisively, fueling the competition.
Welze recognizes that it's the stalker who has made the bid.
What are their intentions? The blue-haired girl turns to Strauss, who, instead of being worried, seems amused.

With a sparkling glance, Reeval announces, "Two thousand credits for the masked competitor! Two thousand credits for this intriguing mace with a dark history. Who will raise the stakes? Strauss Wagner has let us know that this could be the deal of his life. Are you ready to give up? Is anyone else ready to challenge them?"

Strauss, without hesitation, confidently raises the stakes: "Two thousand five hundred!"

The mysterious competitor, determined not to be outdone, promptly replies, "Three thousand!"

Morgan Reeval, with a pleased smile, comments, "Oh, it seems we have a heated competition here. Which of the two will come out on top? Perhaps this mace will bring not only its dark past but also a tale of fierce rivalry among our brave participants from now on."

"Four thousand!" Strauss, with a determined look, raises the stakes once again.

The room falls silent for a moment, awaiting the response of the mysterious competitor.
Meanwhile, Reeval emphasizes the importance of this moment: "Four thousand credits! A notable sum for such a fascinating item. But who dares to challenge Wagner? Perhaps we will have an unexpected turn. Four thousand, should I say? Who will raise the stakes? The choice is now yours!"

"Five thousand!" The stalker from the other side of the room, after a brief moment of hesitation, decides to raise the bid.

"Five thousand! The competition heats up! Who would have thought that a mace could generate so much interest? Strauss Wagner, what do you think of this bid? Let's see if you're willing to push further for this mysterious creation," Reeval exclaims, with a touch of theatricality.

Strauss, with a determined smile, responds, "Six thousand!"

The room is filled with a buzz of excitement. Reeval, still in control of the scene, continues, "Six thousand credits! Wagner proves to be a tenacious competitor. Who will win? Or perhaps someone else is ready to enter this race for the 'owner-killer' mace? The choice is becoming more intriguing, and the mace continues to capture the interest of everyone present!"

"You'd like it that way! Ahahaha," sarcastically comments one of the participants, amused by the absurdity of a bidding war on an item of such low value.

After a few seconds of hesitation, the stalker raises his hand. "Seven thousand!"

Strauss laughs.
Welze doesn't know what to think. Shouldn't he be displeased that the price has reached such figures?

"My bid ends here. The price has exceeded the budget, and I don't want to bankrupt our stalker," the man says, amused, to Welze Juble.

"Seven thousand! Seven thousand! Who's ready to bid higher? Strauss Wagner, do you want to let the deal of a lifetime slip away?"

Strauss remains still, showing no intention of raising.

"No one bidding eight thousand? Eight thousand can be yours. Wagner, your last chance!"

Strauss remains impassive.

Morgan Reeval seems a bit disappointed but knows he has to settle.

"Now is the time to make a final decision. If there's no further bid, we'll declare the masked contestant the winner."

Reeval strikes the wooden gavel.

"And... sold! For seven thousand credits! Congratulations, the 'owner-killer' mace is officially yours," he announces with some emphasis, addressing the stalker.

The room explodes in a riot of applause and laughter.

"It was fun," comments Strauss, getting up from his chair to leave.
Welze follows him.

"Aren't you disappointed?" she asks.

"Not at all. I'm glad I spent a nice afternoon with you. Didn't you enjoy yourself?"

At these words, Welze's heart beats fast.
Why is it beating so fast? Strauss is just a friend. That's what Welze wants to think.
But how long has it been since she had such fun?
Has she ever had this much fun with Franz?

"Yes, I had a great time. Thank you, Strauss." She smiles at him.

"Come on, I'll take you to the bus stop."

"Aren't you coming with me to the Academy?"

"I'd love to, but I have something to do. A private errand."

Welze is a bit disappointed, but being somewhat shy, she decides not to pressure Strauss.
She knows he's sincere when he says he'd like to spend more time with her, so he must have a valid reason for saying goodbye.

****

I wave goodbye to Welze as she boards the bus.
I wait for the bus to depart and disappear from my sight.

Then, I wait again for a few seconds.
I turn around.

"Why did you do it, Professor?"

44