Vol. 2 Chapter 59: Trapped
1.1k 8 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The battle with the demon Strauss Wagner at Extrella Academy has severely weakened Detective Deedee Lang.
The woman is injured, with few hit points and little mana remaining.
In addition to the physical damage, the man has defeated her on all fronts, including morally, putting her in a deadlock and turning her friend Kanna Merfal against her.

Her only victory is that her sixth sense did not fail her. Wagner was indeed behind the drug trafficking and the murders. A Pyrrhic victory, as without evidence, she can never prove his guilt. Not to mention that her attempt to mete out justice on her own has completely failed, and now she finds herself alone in an unknown dungeon.

She has definitely had better days, the woman thinks ironically.
Ah, if only she had a cigarette.
Not that she would have time to smoke it in this fucking situation.

*HRIEAK*

In front of her, five spiders observe her with their multitude of monstrous eyes.
Their skittering is terrifying, and the woman knows she is at a complete disadvantage.
Numerically, territorially, and she is in terrible shape. On this fucking day, she has gone from being a hunter to being prey.

[ENHANCE PENATRATION]
The woman casts a spell that enhances the penetration of her arrows, ensuring that each shot is lethal.

Deedee is tense as the spiders, with their clawed legs and shining eyes, advance menacingly.

*HRIEAK!*

One of the spiders, the boldest one, rushes forward attempting an attack. Deedee releases the arrow, which accurately hits the monster's head, making it collapse immediately to the ground. The cavern is an intricate battlefield, and Deedee moves with agility, utilizing every rocky protrusion to gain a tactical advantage.

Without hesitation, Deedee releases the second arrow, a swift move that cuts through the air with precision. The arrow finds its target, but it hits slightly off the head of the nearest spider on the left. The effect damages the monster, but it seems only to irritate the creature, which advances with even more ferocity.
Legs twitch, and Deedee, with the grace of a dancer, moves to avoid their lunges.

*HRIEAK?*

The policewoman continues her assault, releasing the third arrow. This time, the arrow embeds itself precisely in the head of another spider, taking it out of commission. The head bursts in a flurry of blood and organic matter. A brief breath of relief, but the threat persists with the third spider advancing.

Deedee dances among the spiders, avoiding their venomous fangs with agile and targeted movements. However, fatigue begins to set in.
She reminisces about her old explorations with her party in dungeons. Having her buddy, Kanna, covering her back made her feel secure. Having Guli upfront, crushing enemies with his spiked clubs, made her sniper job easier. Ivanhold is no longer there, that foolish mage.
Her first and only love.

The dungeon took him away. Just like it wants to do with her now.

*HRIEAK!*

"You sons of bitches won't have me alive!" she swears, ready to fight to the death.

But even courage has its limits, and Deedee knows when it's time to retreat. She disengages from the fight, bow still drawn and ready to strike again. The remaining spiders give chase. The policewoman retreats towards a dead-end alley, hoping to gain a defensive position.
It's a futile hope, but she is running out of options.

A spider utilizes the [SHADOW STEP] ability and is immediately in front of her.
Its open jaws ready to bite down on her.

*HRIEAK!*

The woman with green hair doesn't even think; she releases the arrow.
The distance is extremely close. The arrow enters through the spider's open mouth, pierces its brain, creating a channel where blood flows profusely, exits, and embeds itself a few meters ahead in the wall rock.
The spider dies with jaws wide open.

But the enemy attack is not yet over; the woman has no moment of respite.

Deedee dodges a spray of acid coming from one of the spiders on the right.
Another, upside down and anchored to the ceiling, tries to trap her with a viscous web, but instinctively, she throws herself backward, avoiding the web.
In doing so, she violently hits an unstable pile of rocks.

*Rumbleee*

A rockslide pours into the cavern.
Deedee is caught in the sudden collapse.
One of the rocks strikes her right arm, shattering it under the weight. "ARGHHH!"
Desperation paints her face as the policewoman slumps to the ground, pulled down by the arm trapped in the rubble.
As she falls, her body slams hard against the rocks, and she almost loses consciousness from the pain.

"URGH!"
She can't afford to lose consciousness. She can't die here.
The pain is excruciating.
Trapped, she can't move, and with her right arm crushed by the rocks, probably broken, she can't use the bow.
Her hit points are at a minimum.

Two spiders remain.
Her mind, ravaged by pain and fear, imagines them as if laughing while they open and close their monstrous jaws.

They are close, too close.
With the last remaining MP, the woman casts [ENTANGLED VINES] twice.

The magical vines wrap around the two remaining spiders, temporarily immobilizing them. Although it can be used defensively, as in this case, this spell is designed to trap elusive prey and finish it quickly while it's ensnared. Indeed, the magic's duration is at most a few minutes.

One of the spiders, the one that she had previously missed her mark on its head, glares at her angrily, venom dripping from its fangs, and furiously tries to free itself.
Even Deedee, immobilized, tries to free her right arm from under the stones with her left arm.
The woman struggles to remove a rock and realizes she won't make it in time.

"Help! Guli! Kanna! Fucking someone!" she shouts, hoping that someone will help her.
It's not like her to ask for help, but the desperation of the situation forces her to swallow her pride.

As she feels her consciousness fading, her hazy senses detect a faint light at the end of the cavern in the opposite direction.

A man is quickly approaching in her direction, wielding a torch.

That man is her worst enemy.

"F-fuck me," Deedee Lang murmurs, aware that she has gone from bad to worse.

****
***STRAUSS POV***

I traverse the path, following the voice of Deedee Lang.
Pursuing the commotion, I run along the steep rocky terrain and arrive in a larger cavern.

The clearing opens up before me, revealing three massive corpses of giant spiders, arrows embedded in their heads.
The battle that took place here was undoubtedly fierce and frantic.
The woman is undeniably a Rank A Venture, and the fact that she managed to stay alive in such a dire situation attests to that.

I spot the policewoman a little ahead and quickly assess the situation.

Deedee Lang is trapped in a dead-end alley, her right arm pinned under fallen rocks.
Lying motionless on the ground, she is completely defenseless, likely caught off guard by a rockslide while attempting to retreat from the spider onslaught. Without being able to use her arm, the bow is rendered useless, her sole weapon made impotent.

With the magical ability [ENTANGLED VINES], she has temporarily halted two of the spiders, but the effect of the magical vines is about to dissipate, leaving the policewoman vulnerable to the imminent attack of the monsters.

The enraged spiders stamp their feet furiously, trying to free themselves from the grasp and pounce on their prey.
It seems odd that they are hunting together and in such numbers, considering their nature as solitary predators.
I'll have time to reflect on it calmly later, once I've dealt with the issue.

"A damsel in distress! Fear not, my lady. The prince charming has arrived to your rescue," I announce my presence with sarcasm.
I am a bastard. I want to relish the expression on the green-haired woman's face.

"Fuck you, bastard! I'd rather die than be saved by a son of a bitch like you!" the woman yells at me.
She still has some energy left, despite being practically on the brink of death.

I laugh amusedly.
"Shhh! If you scream like that, you'll attract more of them," I say, raising my index finger to my mouth.

The woman probably bites her tongue, holding back her urge to insult me.

I approach one of the restrained spiders.
The monster is consumed by blind fury. It would like to devour me.

*HRIEAK!*

I cast [DEMONIC HOLD] just for a few seconds to make sure it doesn't play any tricks.
With my knife, I pierce its brain, putting an end to its existence.

[[ WEB STALKER Killed: 50 Exp Earned ]]

I approach the other one, but the spider, aware of the danger, uses its ability.

[ACID SPURT]

A spray of acid shoots towards me.
Being at a good distance, I manage to dodge the acid by moving to the side.
The substance, upon hitting the ground, quickly evaporates upon contact with the rock.

[DEMONIC HOLD]
I cast my demonic spell to avoid further surprises and reach the gigantic spider.

*HRIEAK?*

This monster had already been hit with an arrow by Deedee.
The arrow had lodged just to the side of the head, missing the vital point.
With my knife, I take care of hitting the target.
Green blood explodes at my deadly stab.

[[ WEB STALKER Killed: 50 Exp Earned ]]

I casually clean my blood-stained knife on the fur of the giant spider's corpse.

Then I turn to the defenseless woman, my gaze the embodiment of malice.

"Detective Lang, it's a pleasure to see that you're alive," I say maliciously.

"S-stay the fuck away from me, motherfucker!"

I observe with anticipation that ample breast the woman possesses.

"You keep calling me a motherfucker, but my mother has been dead for Gods know how long, and the one I'll be fucking, I think, will be you, my vulgar policewoman," I say, sneering.

 

37