Vol. 2 Chapter 89: A New Ally?
671 3 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Knock Knock Knock*

The knocking at the door of my room wakes me up.
It was a dreamless sleep, and I slept a lot. I'm not sure how long I've been asleep.
The strange light filtering through the window of the room from the odd plants of this underground kingdom makes it hard to gauge time.
I can't get a sense of time in this "dungeon", but I'm sure I've slept far more than I'm used to.

I'll definitely need to buy an analog watch if I manage to return to my dimension.
Depleted of my physical and mental energy, I collapsed into a deep sleep.
I hadn't slept in a comfortable bed for quite some time, and I needed it, especially after spending much of yesterday preparing potions and satisfying my harem.
Speaking of which, there's no trace of my Servants in the room. I am alone in this gigantic bed.

"Come in!" I respond to the polite but insistent knocking.
I stretch, feeling every muscle in my body relax.
A sense of tranquility pervades me, despite the awareness of imminent danger.

The double door opens and three dark elf maids enter, one of them carrying a silver tray that seems to have breakfast on it.
Azherie knows how to treat her guests, I must admit that.
With a bow and gently, the maid places the tray next to me on the bed.

The other two elves head to the bathroom in the room, carrying buckets with them.

I slowly get up, observing the strange flatbread and a cup containing a very dark, almost black liquid.
The aroma is intense, a mix of earthy and slightly spicy scents.

"What is this?" I ask the maid standing near the bed.
"Phor'ssussun vith'ezba, mushroom flatbread," she replies, pointing at the food.
I lift the cup. "And this?"
"Jal'quar veldriss. It's like… ah! Root tea," she responds, doing her best to translate.
She's not used to speaking my language, but the effort is appreciable.
"Thank you."

I taste the strange flatbread, discovering a new, unexpectedly delicious flavor.
The texture is more like a dough than bread, a bit soft but flavorful, pairing perfectly with the tea.
The drink is energizing, resembling strong, black coffee in appearance, but the flavor is more like a herbal infusion, a digestive herbal tea.

Once I finish my meal, the maid collects the tray and leaves the room.
After breakfast, I head towards the adjoining bathroom.

The maids have prepared a tub full of hot water, steam rising in curls, filling the air with a relaxing warmth.
I slowly immerse myself in the water, letting the heat penetrate deeply, driving away any residual fatigue.
The bath is a moment of reflection, where I reorder my thoughts and focus on the challenges ahead.

After finishing my bath, I dry off.
They have provided me with new clothes.
What remains of the school uniform is too tattered to wear again.

The clothes provided are in Dark Elven style.
A silk shirt colored dove gray, with silver buttons that match the silver thread used for the seams.
The trousers are made of the same material but in a wine-red color.
The shoes appear to be made of a very dark brown leather and finish with a pointed shape.

The clothes are comfortable, and I think they would be considered elegant in the culture of the Underealm, although I can't say they particularly excite me. I would prefer a nice suit in the style of Hallemagner businessmen, but beggars can't be choosers.

After dressing carefully, having nothing more to do in the room, I decide to leave and look for my companions.
As I step out, I come across two figures who seem to be waiting for me in the corridor outside the door.

Welze Juble is the first one I notice.
She has deep dark circles under her eyes, a clear sign of a sleepless night.
When she sees me, she jumps a bit and blushes, then lowers her gaze timidly.
I don't understand the reason, but it's as if she feels uncomfortable looking at me.
Did I do something wrong to her? No, it's probably the abstinence from my seed. She should start feeling its effects.

Next to her is a figure that immediately strikes me.
The other woman, whom I've only seen from afar a few times but heard a lot about, exudes extraordinary beauty and radiance.
Her presence lights up the corridor we're in.
I dare say her beauty could compete with Queen Azherie's, and she emanates an equally regal aura.

Her features, which I would have described as "Asian" in my previous life, are not very common in Hallemagner and make her stand out even more. The woman with pink hair and night-black eyes is Xiaikai Frolich, the top student of Extrella Academy, an S rank Venture.
Welze had told me about meeting her, but I did not expect to find her here in the Underealm's royal palace.
I suppose it makes sense; the only way to leave this dungeon is to confront the queen.

Despite the confidence she exudes, I can see she seems worried, as if she doesn't want to be here.

"G-good morning, Strauss," Welze greets me, forcing herself to look at me with a tired tone.
"This is Xiaikai Frolich, the summoner who saved me in the dungeon," she introduces the woman beside her.

I smile and extend my hand to Xiaikai, introducing myself.
"I'm Strauss Wagner, Welze's classmate."

The woman looks at my hand but doesn't shake it.
"Juble has told me about the 'game' you have to participate in to obtain the dungeon core," she says, looking me in the eyes.
She conveys a greater awareness than her words imply.

"I've thoroughly explored this dungeon, but there are no exits. That's why I came here. An Elfrider invited me to the royal palace, and here I learned about the situation," the woman explains.

"Yes, this is the only way to get out of here and return to our world. The stakes also include the rescue of the hostages," I respond neutrally.

She nods. "The queen has a very important hostage, one who must be given top priority. My exploration of the dungeon led me to this conclusion after meeting other survivors and speaking with them."

"Who are you talking about?" I ask, curious.

Xiaikai observes me with penetrating eyes, a slight but enigmatic smile on her lips.
"Evette Himmler."

"The Chancellor?!" I exclaim in surprise.
The Chancellor of Hallemagner. As much as she might be a puppet of the guilds, she's still a big fish in the country's politics.
The most important piece.

"Exactly her. Saving her would open many doors for us," confirms the pink-haired woman, showing me her ambition.
"I wouldn't want to team up with you," she says as if we have a familiarity that in reality we do not.
It's the first time I'm talking to her, yet I sense a certain hostility towards me. Does she despise me on sight?
"But logically, an alliance would benefit both of us," she says with a sigh.

It seems she really doesn't want to deal with me.
"As Juble can confirm, I am very strong, but not strong enough to face the queen directly," she says without false modesty.

"Xiaikai with her summoning was devastating. She annihilated dozens of spiders effortlessly," confirms Welze, her eyes filled with admiration.
A Summoner. A rare class, with unique potential, especially for her being an S rank.
This places her among the most special individuals in the world. I can already feel the desire to possess her within me.
Perhaps my gaze betrays this feeling, and as if sensing it, Xiaikai steps back slightly, watching me carefully.
She seems defensive.

"Do you want to be part of my team then? You know that defeat means death?" I ask to understand how far she is willing to go.

"I have no choice. Alone I cannot defeat Azherie, but together with your team, we have a chance," she responds, showing me a conflicted expression.
"With Xiaikai, I'd say our chances increase significantly!" comments the blue-haired mage.
"I'm intrigued by the idea, but I get the feeling you have something against me. If there's no trust, it's hard to be a team, don't you think?"

"I'm not good at hiding my emotions, like you can. It's true, I'd rather avoid you; I don't like you, but I know how to be pragmatic." She admits her aversion towards me.

Welze seems a bit bewildered by this revelation and turns her head first towards me and then towards the pink-haired woman, sensing that the atmosphere has suddenly become very tense.

"Did I do something to offend you?" I ask, trying to understand why.

"How to explain... I'd say the problem is your existence." Xiaikai's expression darkens and her voice is full of hostility.

Welze flinches.
I laugh slightly, hiding my malevolent thoughts.
There are many hypotheses about her, and it's clear that she doesn't want to reveal more than this.
However, she has made it clear that she considers me an enemy. I don't know if it was a wise move on her part.
For now, I'll keep a low profile, waiting for the right moment to get the better of the summoner. Provoking me was a mistake. I'll exploit her power to increase my chances of victory, and in the meantime, I'll study her weaknesses.

I smile confidently. She's right to fear me, and I see it in her gaze. It's the right way to confront me, even if one should never let their enemy know what they think of them. This was your mistake, Xiaikai. Now you have my attention.

"That's unfortunate because I will continue to exist, especially with your help. I'm sure the queen will allow you to join my team."

"Do things always go the way you want them to?" she asks me challengingly.

I laugh.
"No, they go better than I anticipate."

"Talking to you has confirmed my impressions. We will ally for this occasion," she says with a serious tone.

"Very well. But I want to have a thorough chat, if we survive the game," I impose a condition.

"Agreed," she responds, looking me straight in the eyes.

Have I made a mistake?
I definitely have enough [CORRUPTION POINTS] now to buy the [MIND READ] ability from Raqahela.
I would very much like to know what goes through Xiaikai's head.
Maybe I should have already bought it, but I fear I might need the points to better prepare for the game.

No, I'll wait until after the Demonic Game of Death.

18