Vol. 2 Chapter 94: Philosophy of the Sword
471 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Nice," comments the Servant, amused.

Losing interest in the blonde, he rudely withdraws his right sword from Franz's stomach and steps back, preparing for a much more interesting duel.
Blood oozes from Franz's stomach wound, and he collapses to the ground in agony.
Jarica rushes to his side to check on his condition.

"Let's play!" says the Servant as he observes the determined brunette.

The situation immediately becomes critical.
Rero Sansanti's swift intervention saves Franz Dadref's life.
He lies on the ground, in pain and unable to continue the fight.

Rero is already at a disadvantage, lacking the support of her other two companions. But she is not afraid.
She cannot disappoint Strauss. She would do anything for the one she loves. She doesn't care that her own life is at stake.
She is determined to win at all costs for him.

Rero and the masked Servant size each other up for a moment, each assessing the other.
The Servant, with his two swords in hand, is ready to attack, but Rero remains undaunted.
She firmly grips her sword, ready to defend herself.

The enemy strikes first, launching a rapid blow towards Rero's torso.
She parries it sharply, deflecting the blade with her guard. She adopts a classic fencing defense, moving her sword upward and to the right, blocking the enemy's attack, and preparing a counter.
The sound of clashing metal echoes in the air.

Rero counters with a direct and swift attack towards the chest of her adversary, capitalizing on the opening created by her parry.

However, the enemy moves with agility, sidestepping and counterattacking with a thrust.
Rero, with lightning-fast reflexes, ducks to avoid the blow and responds by shifting her blade downwards and to the left, deflecting the enemy's sword.

She immediately follows up with an incredibly fast counterattack, exploiting the brief opening provided by her parry.
With a spin on his axis, the enemy repels the blow, forcing Rero to retreat to avoid being sliced by the whirlwind slash of the two oriental swords.

The fight intensifies.
The two opponents move with grace and precision, their blades dancing in a deadly duel.
Each attack is calculated, every defense critical.

Rero then attempts a feint, a move that simulates an attack to lure the enemy into a predictable response, followed by a quick thrust, changing direction and striking from a different angle, trying to surprise the enemy.
The queen's Servant doesn't fall for the trick and responds by parrying, blocking the attack.

The use of two swords makes him a difficult opponent. A wrong move and Rero would be immediately hit by a lethal counterattack.
Rero is not holding back, but her opponent seems to be playing with her.

The only advantage at the moment is that her sword is longer than the Servant's oriental swords.
This allows her to maintain a greater distance during the duel.
However, this does not seem to be enough as she starts to feel fatigued.

The swordsman, seizing a moment of weakness in Rero, executes a strike that rapidly changes target, aiming to hit the shoulder, a less protected area. Rero swiftly moves, narrowly avoiding the strike, and counterattacks with a long and deep thrust, a powerful attack that fully utilizes the length of her weapon.

The enemy, however, is quick, and with a fluid motion, he bats away Rero's blade, creating an opening for a potential finishing blow.

Rero is prepared.
With astonishing skill, she performs a circular parry, a defensive move that circles around the opponent's blade, followed by a lightning-fast counterattack that takes advantage of the opponent's position after his parry.
This way, she strikes the enemy on the side.

The damage is minimal, but the masked Servant staggers, surprised by Rero's speed and precision.

With a final effort, Rero exploits the opening created, launching a decisive attack.
She aims directly at the abdomen of her opponent, at an exposed spot.
She is about to pierce through him.

But with a movement so swift that Rero almost doesn't see it, the enemy recomposes himself and crosses his blades, intercepting the blow and deflecting it upwards.

Rero is taken aback by the very fast movement.
As he did against Franz, the enemy tries to take advantage of this parry to slash across at her.
Rero, with a swift twist of her waist, retreats, returning to a defensive stance.

A feeling of unease begins to grow inside her.
Each exchange of blows with the enemy brings back nostalgic thoughts, which should not be present in a deadly duel.
His fighting style is so familiar.
It can't be.

Rero's thoughts are abruptly interrupted when the enemy Servant lunges at her, his blades whirling.
She skillfully dodges his strike, barely missing the tip of his sword and his own.
This close encounter brings her back to the present moment.

She takes a deep breath and lunges forward, her sword flashing out in the blink of an eye.
With all her strength, she drives the weapon towards the enemy, aiming for his heart.
However, the Servant's reflexes are just as quick as Rero's, who easily deflects the strike.

Frustration boils within Rero, realizing she can't afford any mistakes.
Forced into a defensive position and gasping from the effort to keep up with an opponent who is more skilled than her, she evaluates her options.

Ideally, she should try to face the Servant with three fighters.
Out of the corner of her eye, she sees Jarica tending to the idiot Dadref and making him drink one of Strauss's healing potions.

"That was a good warm-up," says the Servant mockingly.
Although Rero hasn't used everything at her disposal, it doesn't mean she's held back.
For her opponent, however, it seems like he wasn't serious.

"You've improved a lot. Is it because you have a contract with that man? It's not just that. From your movements, I see you've been training nonstop," the foe remarks.

He speaks to her as if he knows her. As if they had already fought against each other.
How is this possible? She has no memory of it, yet when she crossed her blade against the Servant's, a sense of nostalgia and familiarity overwhelmed her.

"Who are you?" The question to her comes naturally.
Moreover, this pause allows her to buy time so that she can receive support from her two companions.

"Sword against sword. The blade should have already given you the answer. Don’t you think, Rero?" he replies cryptically.
Rero is completely shocked that he knows her name.
She is even more shocked because she knows what he is referring to.

He refers to the philosophy of the sword, the creed of swordsmen.
A concept that seems very simple, yet hides a world behind it.
It comes naturally to those who practice fencing as if it's the most important thing in life.

The blade transmits the emotions and thoughts of the one who wields it.
In a duel, an emotional and psychological bond is created between the fighters.
Through combat, respect, understanding, and even a certain degree of empathy emerge between the opponents.
In the fury of battle, hearts open, and the other can be seen in their purest essence. The blade is a divine instrument that allows the true communication of one's feelings. This is the philosophy of the sword.

This was the belief of him who is no longer there.
Rero wants to deny it because it can't be possible, but the fight has already given her the answer.
She knew it as soon as metal met metal.
It can't be possible.

Tears roll down the brunette's face.
Her moist emerald eyes sparkle. Emotions swirl in her head.

"Fierro?" her voice trembling with emotion.
It can't be.

He laughs, pleased with the woman's reaction.
The Servant removes his helmet and tosses it to the ground.

Rero looks on in astonishment, recognizing a familiar face.

The man's beautiful face is revealed. Green eyes, long brown hair.
A considerable resemblance to Rero.

She can't believe it, but that is undoubtedly Fierro Sansanti.
Her brother.

"Hi, Lil' Silly."

15