Chapter 59: Spar (1)
1.9k 5 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The students of the Black Rose Club had gathered outside the buildings, in the square assigned to our class, and were mostly chatting around.

The ones in multiple clubs had left for today, and we were left with only fifteen of the twenty-five students.

Some of them had started playing catch while the rest were simply talking.

Maybe it was because the club was still new, for some reason, they always stuck to the outside of the real building we could use as a clubroom.

“So, what was all that?” Iaso stood next to me and stretched her hands. “This class is not really in trouble, right?”

“It isn’t,” I said. “It would definitely affect your relationship with the other classes though.”

Iaso nodded.

“I don’t get it,” she said. “Is it necessary to fight? You know Prince Ier had some of the worst stats in the class, right?”

A sigh left me. I gently ruffled Iaso’s hair.

“And Ier is probably one of the strongest in the class.”

I stepped ahead and clapped my hands. The students all turned to me at once and gathered as if they were waiting for me to call on them.

“Alright, all of you,” I said. “Let’s head inside the recreational building. Student Ier has taken on quite the responsibility for us, so how about helping him?”

Prince Ier stood at the back of the group. He tensely looked at the rest of them as they all agreed without hesitating for a second.

It was natural they would help him.

I led the students into the recreational building, all fifteen of them. The four-story tall building was the biggest facility in Black Rose by width alone. A lot of the amenities in here were in the dorms too, from board games to pool tables and whatnot, there was something here that couldn’t be replicated elsewhere.

I led the students to the center of the lowest floor and turned the lights on.

An enormous training ground stood in front of them. Punching bags and training dolls were set on one end and small cubicles to practice magic were on the other. At the very center of the place was a ground for sparring matches.

The students had been using this place for their classes with Mr. Barnum and weren’t surprised.

“Let’s have a sparring match, is that alright with you Student Ier?”

Prince Ier looked my way. “A sparring match… that should be ok. I wanted to spar for… a while. It will help for the competition.”

He was hesitating with his words, looking at all the others as he spoke.

“Who wants to go against him?

When none of them answered, Student Ken raised his hands. Ken and Prince Ier had been getting along well since both of them were on the front of the Ogre battle, he and Zacka were experienced as well, so I agreed.

“You two can take any weapon from the racks and use any non-confrontive spell. Don’t injure each other and you’re good.”

The two of them nodded and walked over to the weapons racks filled with all kinds of wooden weapons on both sides of the ring.

Ken looked at each of the weapons with a slow gaze. He was weighing the advantages of each of them, it was impressive. On the other hand, Prince Ier picked up a spear, the weapon he was used to and comfortable with.

Ken smirked at the Prince’s decision and picked up two falchions.

“I can use two, right?” asked Ken.

“Of course.”

He had managed to hold an Ogre back without any real weapon, with something he preferred his ability would jump higher.

Prince Ier had been raised as the second prince. To make sure no succession troubles arise during times of war, he was likely raised with less attention than the crown prince, but his abilities were fairly developed.

Even when he must have been discouraged from doing so, Prince Ier worked had managed to learn his way around a weapon and to keep his calm in battles.

He was, without a doubt, one of the most skilled students in the classroom. Against Ken, though, the story changed.

Ken was from the Desert Kingdom of Tahar. War or not, he was experienced in fighting a lot of monsters, it was a tradition in Tahar.

It was hard to tell who would win.

The two students, with their weapons in hand, walked to the center of the arena.

“Both of you, stop exactly when I say stop, ok? This is a spar, so fight to develop and not to win.”

“Understood.”

“Got it.”

The two of them nodded and I stepped away from the arena. The other students too circled the place to watch the fight.

I raised my hand, and with a sharp breath, screamed.

“Begin!”

Neither of them made the first move. Prince Ier raised his spear and took a stance while Ken held his swords next to him, ready to intercept anything.

They circled each other… gauging each other with their eyes.

And then, Ken moved.

He charged straight ahead at the spearman with both his swords at his side. He was making great use of his agility, but a spearman needed only one opening.

Ier swerved the spear in his hands. He thrust it ahead and intercepted the charging Ken.

A spark flew out as the sword met the spear. Ken had blocked the attack with one blade. Immediately, he pivoted his body and swung the second sword down at Ier.

And once again, Prince Ier moved his spear to block the attack. Unfortunately, this was merely the start.

Like a whirlwind, Ken swung both swords down at Ier with successive strikes, and Ier had no choice but to block them all.

Speed and flexibility against practiced interventions. Clangs echoed as wood clashed against the wood.

Their fight had truly begun.

 

Thank you for reading. Please bear with me a little longer, I should be up and posting frequently very soon. Thank you very much for understanding.

33