Chapter 148 – Revelations
84 5 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kicking a pebble had never felt so great. Mila repeated the action until a careless move made the little piece of stone roll into a crack. With the outlet to her frustrations gone, she returned to touching Isabel’s limp body whenever possible.

 

Isabel would be fine. The Sage would keep her safe. Andrew… Mila couldn’t help but grimace upon remembering the fool. He was there, too. That had to count for something. He would take care of Isabel. At least of that, Mila was sure.

 

“This fucking sucks.” Virr’s voice interrupted the silence in the group from time to time.

 

While there could be many reasons for the man’s cursing, Mila knew which one it was this time. They had to step out in the light that pushed through the opaque shield and face the much stronger group that did nothing but watch the world collapse around them.

 

It was an unenviable situation to be in, for sure. “Don’t take a step closer.” Mila’s harsh words stopped Andrew, who had started to rush towards them the very moment he had spotted unconscious Isabel. She then softened her voice. “Your choices up to this point have left me weary. I…” Her anger lessened upon seeing the dismay on Andrew’s face. “I think you should reflect on your actions. Just as you advised me back in Ocheon, I advise you now. You have to be there for your friends.” She paused. “And don’t make them worry.”

 

“I couldn’t have known…” Andrew stopped shortly before reaching Isabel, hesitating to do more than just look. “How is she?” He addressed Ugum.

 

Mila inwardly shook her head. She would not forgive easily, and neither would Isabel. Andrew had a long path ahead of him if he wanted redemption in their eyes.

 

“Do you have any healers with you?” Mila asked the Sage as she walked closer.

 

The Sage, despite his great might, didn’t appear to be proud and didn’t mind the way Mila was speaking to him.

 

“We all have humble skills in the art.” The Sage nodded towards the man absent-minded man, who blinked before the ‘Oh’ sound escaped his mouth, and he rushed towards Isabel. “Some more than others. Armin is an excellent healer when he focuses his mind. His disciple, Isito, here,” He pointed towards the assassin Mila had lost to. “Less so. He is more interested in reading most of the time.”

 

Finally, Mila had learned her rival's name. She looked at the man who was clicking his tongue again, but her fury wasn’t nearly as smothering as it had been just a few hours earlier.

 

Isabel’s condition had overshadowed everything else. And the culprit of her girl’s sleep was more hateable. Especially compared to Isito, who looked like he wanted nothing to do with her.

 

Mila would still beat this man into a pulp, but the goal had been moved lower on her priority list. “Then, show us the path through these gates and towards where the ritual is being held.”

“I shall.” The Sage studied their group. “I assume each one of you is going.” He guessed.

 

They had spoken about it. In the end, Mortimer would be useless. He would stay here with Isabel and Amy. “Not him.” She indicated at the thief.

 

“You should.” The Sage unexpectedly suggested. 

 

“What?” Mortimer squeaked out lightning fast. “No, no, no!” He protested. “I’ll die!”

 

“It is for your own good, boy,” Sage smirked, finding something very amusing about the situation. “And I can offer you a bodyguard. Would that change your thoughts?”

 

“It does.” Messenger suddenly appeared near the Sage. “Greetings, Wise Amino.” He bowed. “We will take Mortimer with us if it means one of you accompanying us.”

“We need to know about the man’s reasoning first.” Mila hesitated to agree and glanced at Isito, who had followed the absent-minded healer to where Isabel was. The very fact felt like Mila’s teeth were pulled. The presence of that man so close to Isabel irked her to no end.

 

“Why, it’s for the poor son to finally meet his father.” The Sage’s grin turned sinister. His monk-like peaceful attitude vanished. “Zemny has been torn in everyone's side. Even the Nobles hate the man. But he is strong and resourceful. Do not fight him.”

 

“W-what?” Mortimer suddenly quieted down. He ogled The Sage as if he had just tried to sell the biggest scam to the thief. “M-my father died. He is dead.”

 

“Hardly. I can not know Zemny’s motivations, but he has been here for years.” The Sage revealed. “At least from what I can tell.”

 

“Impossible…” Mortimer’s eyes lighted up with the possibility of his father being alive, then turned horrified when he realised what Zemny had done. “Impossible…”

 

“Does Zemny have my Grandpa’s stuff?” Helly joined the conversation as well. The Sage thoughtfully nodded.

 

But Mila’s mind was occupied with the revelation.

 

Mortimer’s father was alive.

 

It made SO much sense!

 

The signs were there. How had Mila missed them?

 

No matter who, everyone seemed to hate Mortimer’s father, so why had the son been left alive? Especially in a city filled with crime? Mortimer’s life, while not luxury, hadn’t been hard. He had a place of his own and food on the table.

 

Only after Helly, who was oblivious to the matters of Stilag, arrived that Mortimer’s life became difficult.

 

The noble, who died by their hands, had recognised Mortimer as well. And no wonder. Mila recalled the portrait back in the mansion. They were similar, the father and son.

 

And what about the mansion? While most of it felt left to gather dust, the workroom alone was pristine and well-used. Even Mortimer had remarked it looked the same as in his memories.

 

Furthermore, the person who was responsible for the ritual was well-versed in staying hidden and concealing their actions. And, Mila struggled to remember the name, ‘The Keepers of Truth’ Silinth had been part of, had long been hunted and forced into hiding. They had plenty of experience in the matter.

 

They hated Tordgo. They hated the people who hunted them. And their roots extended long into the past. They had come from Aaers’s forces. They had inherited the way to create the horror they had faced at the reservoir. 

 

It all made sense, and it was horrible. Mila felt the anger bubble up from within her. Not hers.

 

It was more vicious, direct and promised death and destruction. Aaers was angry. He had realised the same - he had failed to destroy all of the research back then, and it had been passed down.

 

Then, more confusing emotions broke into Mila’s psyche. She almost stumbled when horror joined the anger. Aaers had realised something and urged Mila to hurry.

 

So overwhelming was Aaers demand that Mila found it hard to think. Even her worry for Isabel seemed to retreat in front of the ancient being's torrent of raging emotions.

 

Everything felt distant and unimportant in front of what Aaers was- No, had been. Perhaps still was. Mila had never been clear about what exactly the old ghost was.

 

Another switch of emotions disoriented Mila again. Through sheer force of will, she kept her body standing still. Her eyes scanned the Sage for any signs of him noticing the stormy emotions inside her.

 

Luckily, there were no signs of him doing so. Mila resisted the flow of sudden thoughtful hope Aaers went through. She was glad her mask was still on. Otherwise, twitching her lips and gritting her teeth would become obvious.

 

“We must move!” Mila forced herself to say, partly because of Aaers urging, partly because they were spending their valuable time just talking. And finally, if she didn’t move, Mila would be overcome by Aaers’s emotions.

 

The Sage smiled, returning to his monk demeanour. “You have less than an hour but more than a half.” He revealed. “At least from what this old man can tell.” The Sage inclined his head.

 

It felt strange hearing someone not looking that old calling themselves just that. But Mila knew he probably was ancient. “We are not taking him with us.” She jerked her chin towards where Isito was staring at the ceiling.

 

“Is there a problem with Isitito?” The Sage wondered.

 

But Mila was done with the discussions. “Open the path. We need to go.” She realised it was rude, but Aaers vastly superior sea of emotions was pressuring her. “Anyone else but him.”

 

The momentary silence made Mila wonder if the Sage was finally done dealing with the petulant child she came off as. But it passed, and the Sage spoke again. “Polonomia, accompany our friends here. Keep Zemny’s son safe to not distract the rest. Otherwise, don’t disturb them unless needed.”

 

After giving the order to the cloaked woman, the Sage looked at the wall to the side. “Novoro, assist me with the barriers.” He invited the librarian-looking man. Afterwards, he pointed at the naked stone and began to shape it. “You can’t go through the front door. They are guarded.”

 

Mila absentmindedly nodded. Currently, she was busy struggling against Aaers. The thoughts of Isabel helped. They were gloomy and sticky and made her want to throw up, but they were hers and grounded Mila.

 

The fall quickly melted and formed a hole. It began stretching deeper into the stone and dirt - quickly becoming a tunnel. It widened, and the dirt hardened.

 

“Here.” The Sage spoke while the party of sabotiers gathered. “You can go. I’ll close the passage after all of you enter. No one will follow. The tunnel will lead you to a spot from which you can exit into the main chambers.”

 

“Honored elder,” Laura stood before the Sage. “Can I beseech you and your people to help my subordinate? Her condition is critical, and our healer has been running out of mana for a while now.”

 

“Sliof will take care of it.” The Sage easily agreed.

 

While Laura was thanking the suspicious man, who was holding back the righteous justice of the native army, Mila was stumbling towards Isabel. She wanted to touch her before leaving.

 

“Hey, girl.” Mila pushed past Isito, who frowned and looked away. “How are you doing?” She fell on her knees in front of Isabel, taking her girl’s hand. “You need more blankets.”

 

Mila noticed Sliof’s arm approach her but didn’t comment, too busy rubbing Isabel’s fingers. The healing touch brushed against her shoulder, pouring new energy into her exhausted body. She didn’t thank the man.

 

Instead, Mila leaned closer to Isabel’s cheek and gave her girl a chaste kiss on it. She then stood up. “I’ll be done soon.”

 

Then, Mila headed towards the cloaked woman. “I assume you won’t be staying here after letting the Military through.” She spoke to her, not wanting to talk with the Sage more than necessary. The man was dangerous in the sense that his experience could lead The Sage to discover some of Mila’s secrets now that she was struggling to keep herself in order.

 

The cloaked woman, Polonomia, nodded. “If you survive, I’ll lead you to where we will gather.” She spoke, her voice creaky and rough.

 

“Good enough.” Mila nodded. “Laura?”

“We are done.” The mercenary group’s leader replied. “Gather up! Let’s go!”

 

“Viola?” Mila turned towards her friend.

 

“Yeah, let’s go.”

 

“Yep, it is time we moved.” Helly’s voice unexpectedly interrupted their proceedings.

 

“What?” Mila’s mind struggled to find a response.

“Right, Teeny?” Helly nudged Andrew. “We are going, too.”

“We are.” Andrew’s voice was grim and helpless. “I must see what is there… I must…”

It feels like I am always tired these days. 

That is so boring!
So, uh, a joke?

Let me find one. I’ll just google ‘the worst pun ever’ and see what comes up.

 

… How can you spot a nosy pepper? It gets Jalapeño business! …

 

It was worse than expected.
I apologise

 

Cheers,

Remorseful Enkiari

4