Chapter 49 — The last goodbye
1.1k 7 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

[Aster]

Winter is a tough season, especially here in the north, where it lasts much longer than normal, longer than all three other seasons combined. This particular winter seemed to drag on and on, with snowstorms coming and going in an unending cycle. The world beyond their shelter was cold, harsh, and unforgiving.

Yet, their cave, hidden deep within the pine forest, provided the necessary protection and warmth to help them survive the long, bitterly cold nights. The Silverfrost family has been in their cave this entire time, much like bears hibernating in their den. They relied on their carefully stored provisions to sustain them through the long, dark, and cold months.

It wasn't without difficulties, however. Food supplies were not infinite, and they had to carefully ration their meals to ensure they would last until spring. The meager portions paled compared to the big meals of summer, leaving their stomachs growling in protest. Still, they were grateful; while not ideal, they were not starving, and things could have been far worse.

Wood was also a constant challenge because fire is necessary in such weather. Even during the day, a roaring flame is a must, one that requires a lot of wood. Once their summer stockpile of wood ended, they had to venture out and collect more once every week or so. The pine forest was abundant in trees and branches, but the deep snow, reaching nearly to the boy's waist, and the relentless, biting winds made the task far from easy.

Despite all these difficulties, they did well and survived another long, cold winter. The sun finally shone again with all its glory. Its warm rays touched the frozen ground, slowly returning the color and life to the surrounding forest. Birds chirped happily, their voices welcoming the long-awaited change. All kinds of critters emerged from their hiding spots and returned to their usual lives, searching for food and rebuilding their nests. It was as if the whole world was waking up from a deep slumber, stretching its limbs and enjoying the sun's rays.

Even though the snow still did not melt completely, the promise of a warm spring was near.

One particular morning, as the first rays of sunlight peeked through the sides of their crudely made door, a young boy slowly opened his golden eyes. He yawned and stretched his legs beneath the cozy warmth of his blanket, his small toes wiggling slightly as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, blinking several times to focus.

He glanced to his right, seeing the sleeping face of his adorable sister, her messy silver hair scattered all around, her pink puffy lips parted as she breathed, still dreaming peacefully. The sight made him smile.

Looking around, Aster saw that his mother was already awake and preparing to go outside. Putting on her warm coat and boots, she stood beside the entrance, adjusting her clothes and ensuring everything was properly in place before facing the day.

— "Going out?" Aster mumbled, rubbing his eyes again.

"Hmm? Oh, you're awake, my love," Nivalis smiled warmly at her son. "Yes, the weather seems nice, so I planned to go fishing. I won't be long, okay?" she replied, picking up a bow, arrows, and backpack from the floor.

Aster hummed in understanding, sitting up and scratching his tummy. "Okay," Aster nodded. "Need any help? I can go with you if you want," he offered, yawning.

"No, no, it's alright. You two stay here and keep each other warm. I will be back before noon," Nivalis said, giving him a reassuring smile.

— "Alright. Good luck, Mom," Aster smiled back, his sleepy voice barely audible.

"Thanks, honey," she said on her way to the bed. She kneeled down and gave her son a quick peck on his lips. "Be a good boy and take care of your sister while I'm gone. Okay?" her blue eyes locked with his golden ones.

— "Of course. Don't worry," Aster replied, nodding his head.

"Good boy," Nivalis whispered, ruffling his silver locks before moving towards her daughter and kissing her forehead. The girl mumbled something in her sleep but quickly fell silent again.

"See you soon, sweetie," she whispered, giving him another quick kiss before turning away and heading to the door. She stepped outside and ensured the wooden barricade was properly in place and secure. Then, there was silence.

...

 

[Nivalis Silverfrost]

As Nivalis walked through the forest, her boots squelched loudly, sinking deep into the muddy ground. The cold morning breeze blew, rustling the branches of pine trees, and the soft sound of the wind filled her ears. The sun shone brightly in the sky, and the cloudless blue seemed endless. The morning chill was still there, and her breath created clouds of mist, which floated upwards before disappearing in the air.

Nivalis hummed a quiet tune, a cheerful melody that matched her mood, and her steps became more lively, almost dance-like. 'Finally, some sunlight,' she thought happily, her face turning toward the sky, feeling the warmth on her skin. 'It has been a long winter...' she sighed, continuing to walk through the muddy ground.

They will have a decent meal again for the first time in many months. Nivalis could almost taste the freshly cooked fish on her tongue. It's been so long since they had a proper meal that was not dried or smoked. It felt like a lifetime ago, and it almost seemed like an impossible dream — a dream that she was about to make come true.

Arriving at the forest's edge, Nivalis found herself at her preferred fishing spot along the riverbank. Large rocks dotted the shoreline, a perfect place from which she could easily spot the fish swimming below. With practiced movements, she climbed the tallest boulder, carefully stepping on its slippery surface and using her hands for support before settling into a comfortable position.

With her bow and arrows set aside, she retrieved the rope from her backpack, deftly securing one end around her waist and the other to an arrow. This technique, born of experience, allowed her to quickly retrieve the caught fish without risking losing it in the current. It was a simple method but an effective one.

Setting her backpack aside, Nivalis cautiously lifted herself to one knee, bow in one hand, arrow in the other. She leaned forward, peering into the water's depths, her sharp gaze piercing through the rippling surface. Small fish darted by, but she ignored them; they were both more challenging to catch and offered less meat, and that was just not worth the effort.

Now, the most difficult part. Waiting.

Her vibrant, sky-blue eyes remained fixed, scanning the flowing water with what seemed infinite patience, seeking the slightest hint of movement beneath the crystal-clear surface. As time passed, the sun climbed higher in the sky, its bright light shimmering off the water, causing the river to shine like a thousand diamonds.

The intensity of the reflection forced Nivalis to narrow her eyes. The wait was long and tedious, but she never lost her focus. She remained motionless, her eyes peeled and searching for the slightest sign of a fish. 'Come on, where are you?' she thought impatiently.

It was then, just as she was beginning to wonder whether she should change the spot, that a familiar movement caught her eye, a shadow passing below. Though the target was distant, she deftly positioned the arrow on the bowstring, drawing it back until it grazed her rosy cheek. Her gaze locked onto the target, tracking its movements. Her hand trembled ever so slightly, her muscles protesting as she maintained the bow's tension. Yet, she held the arrow steady, waiting for the right moment.

"Haa..." Nivalis exhaled, her fingers releasing the arrow in a fluid motion. She watched it cut through the air, whistling loudly. A splash followed a moment later, creating ripples in the water where the arrow disappeared. The rope immediately tensed, pulling at her waist as the arrow hit its target. Nivalis couldn't help but let out a satisfied sigh.

— "Gotcha," she mumbled, smiling proudly. She slowly pulled the arrow out of the water, careful not to lose her prey.

After a few seconds of struggle, she finally got it out, lifting it up and revealing the dead fish. It was a trout, a rather big one, a good catch. "Perfect," Nivalis murmured happily, detaching the arrow from the fish's body. Retrieving a knife from her boot, she quickly cleaned the trout, her nimble fingers making quick work of the task. Once finished, she wrapped the fillet in a cloth and stowed it away in her backpack.

Suddenly, a twig snapped somewhere behind her, and Nivalis reacted instantly, leaping to her feet, bow at the ready. There was nothing but trees, bushes, and melting snow, nothing out of the ordinary. Gripping her bow tightly, Nivalis listened intently but couldn't hear anything unusual.

Her sharp, blue eyes darted left and right, searching for anything out of place. Nothing. The forest was quiet and peaceful. The boulders around her glistened in the sunlight, blocking the view of anything behind them, but she was confident no one could sneak this close to hide behind them without being noticed.

A gentle breeze brushed past, teasing strands of her silver hair against her nose and cheeks. 'Nothing to worry about,' Nivalis assured herself, lowering her bow. It must have been a bird or squirrel, or maybe just the wind playing tricks on her.

— "Two more, and I'm done," Nivalis mumbled, returning to work. She had a routine, and she was determined to complete it.

...

 

The sun now hung high overhead, and the morning had turned into noon. After catching two more fish, it was finally time to return home. She untied the rope from her waist, storing it alongside the fresh fish fillets in her backpack. Standing up, she indulged in a full-body stretch, releasing a contented groan. Her shoulders and back hurt slightly, but she felt satisfied with the results. Today, the children will have a feast.

— "Hmm..." she sighed, rubbing her stomach. 'It will be a delicious dinner,' she thought happily as she jumped from the boulder, landing gracefully on her feet. A sudden gust of wind blew, carrying a strange, foul smell with it, causing her nose to wrinkle in disgust. It was unlike anything she had smelled before; it was as if someone had mixed rotten eggs, spoiled milk, and fish guts together and left them outside for weeks.

Before she could even process what it was or turn around from where the scent came from, a sudden burst of pain came from her left leg and forced her to her knees. She screamed in pain, looking down at her thigh and seeing a long wooden spear embedded deep in her flesh.

— "Wha-?!" In a desperate attempt to regain her footing, a second, this time blunt blow struck her right knee, sending another wave of agony coursing through her entire body. She felt her knee snap and bend in an unnatural direction, causing her to fall on her side, screaming in pain. She didn't have time to think, to understand what was happening.

A wicked, high-pitched laugh reached her ears, followed by another, much similar one. The sound was bone-chilling, a perverse melody that froze her blood. As she managed to lift her head, her tear-blurred vision beheld a sight that made her eyes widen in terror, her pupils contracting to tiny pinpricks.

Two grey, ugly creatures grinning at her maliciously, their mouths full of sharp, jagged fangs. They were short, barely reaching her chest, wearing ragged clothes that were barely enough to cover their bodies. One of them was still holding a wooden spear that pierced her leg, drool escaping his mouth as he continued to cackle with glee. The other, slightly larger and more imposing, gripped a hefty wooden club, ready to strike once more.

— "W-What the..." Nivalis gasped, her voice trembling as she struggled to comprehend what the actual fuck happening here. Her hands trembled uncontrollably, her fingers clawing the muddy ground desperately as her body refused to listen to her commands. The pain in her thigh intensified as the goblin attempted to pull the spear from her flesh.

She cried out again, her agony provoking another delighted laugh from the bigger goblin. She grabbed the spear and desperately tried to stop it from moving, crimson blood gushing from her wound and pooling on the ground below. As her fear began to take over, her heart beating rapidly in her chest, her breathing became labored, and she started to hyperventilate.

"Get the fuck away from me!" she yelled desperately at the creature, gritting her teeth. The second goblin lifted his club, his red eyes shining with malice, and brought it crashing down upon her arm.

Nivalis screamed, her vision blurred by tears. The pain was nearly unbearable, but she clung to the spear with all her might, her fingers stubbornly refusing to release their hold. In an attempt to retrieve the spear, the goblin holding it twisted the wooden shaft, increasing her agony. Creatures laughed again, enjoying the sight of the suffering elf. Their high-pitched, screeching laughter rang through the air.

With every last bit of strength and determination she could muster, Nivalis desperately reached for the knife concealed within her boot. Her trembling fingers closed around the handle just as the spear-wielding goblin noticed her actions. Before it could react, she plunged the blade deep into its chest. The sound of tearing flesh, of flowing blood, and the goblin's cries of pain filled her sensitive ears as the blade cut through its skin.

The creature released the spear, attempting to push her away as it shrieked in pain. Nivalis refused to let him go, knowing this might be her only chance to get this close. She has to finish him, no matter what. Her fingers curled around the handle, her hand shaking violently, struggling to keep hold of the knife. Her knuckles turned white, and her teeth clenched so tightly that they felt close to shattering.

— "YOU FUCKER!" she roared, withdrawing the knife and thrusting it into the goblin again, deeper, faster, harder. "DIE!" fury fueled her every movement as she relentlessly stabbed and twisted the blade, ignoring the goblin's desperate attempts to defend itself with its sharp nails, which left deep gashes on her wrists and neck. But the adrenaline surging through her veins numbed the pain. Blood spattered everywhere, drenching her hands and face and staining the surrounding ground an even deeper crimson.

— "DIE! DIE! DIE!" Nivalis continued to scream, her voice heavy with rage, anger, and desperation. Her arms moved in a frenzied blur, stabbing the creature over and over, blood spraying in every direction.

Amidst the chaos, she could hear the other goblin's enraged cries, and before she could even react, a sudden blow from its club struck the back of her head. Her vision darkened, and her body slumped to the ground.

As the goblin was about to finish her with its club, Nivalis snapped her eyes open and instinctively rolled to the side, narrowly avoiding a devastating impact that would have certainly shattered her skull. 'Where is my fucking knife?!' she thought desperately, her eyes darting around frantically. Her head throbbed with unbearable pain, her vision blurred, and the world spun uncontrollably.

The goblin let out a scream of pure rage and hatred, its voice guttural and fierce. It brought the club down once more, and Nivalis just managed to move her arms in time, protecting her face and absorbing the blow with her forearms. The sharp pain radiated through her limbs, jolting her entire body.

Another blow came shortly after, hitting her shoulder this time. Then, her ribs. Again and again, the goblin hit her, screaming something she couldn't understand. She cried out in agony, but all she could do was try to protect herself, desperately trying to block the blows as best she could. With each passing moment, the goblin's attacks intensified, and her body grew weaker.

Blood stained the ground around her, and her vision darkened. He was on the verge of losing consciousness again; her thoughts became muddled, and her movements sluggish. She knew that if she didn't act quickly, she would die.

The image of her children's smiling faces flashed through her mind. Summoning her remaining strength, Nivalis shoved aside the pain and focused on the task at hand. 'I have to kill it,' she thought, her fists clenching and teeth grinding in determination. With a primal roar, Nivalis lunged forward, pushing herself off the muddy ground and kicking the goblin's crotch as hard as she only could. The creature's agonized scream filled the air as it crumpled to the ground, clutching its groin.

Nivalis collapsed back into the mud, her breath coming in ragged gasps. Her vision was getting even worse, and the world threatened to slip away once more. Panicking, she frantically patted the slippery ground with her only working hand, desperately trying to find a weapon, a rock, anything.

Her fingers touched something smooth and heavy, and she immediately gripped it tightly and pushed herself on top of the creature, putting her entire weight on top of him. Then, she swung it with all her strength, connecting with the goblin's face. A satisfying crunch echoed as its nose shattered, and it cried in pain. The creature started to fight back with its arms and legs, kicking wildly.

The goblin desperately tried to escape, squirming around on the muddy ground. But no matter how hard it tried, she kept swinging the rock, her fury growing with every blow.

— "DIE! YOU PIECE OF SHIT!" she shouted, her voice cracking as she brought the stone down on its face. Another strike, another crunch, and another agonizing scream. Again and again, the blood splattered in every direction, staining her face, her hands, and her clothes. Her breath was ragged and heavy, her lungs burning with every intake. Her heart pounded in her chest as if it was about to explode, and her ears rang painfully.

It was hard to tell how many times she hit the creature. But after a while, the goblin finally stopped moving, lying lifeless on the ground, and the head was nothing but a bloody, mushy pulp of flesh and bones. A strong smell of urine and feces reached her nostrils, almost making her vomit.

"Haah... Haah... Haah..." her lungs hurt, her throat burned, and her body ached all over. It was only now, with the battle over, that she finally noticed how much pain she was in. "Oh fuck," she hissed, throwing the blood-soaked rock aside and falling on the ground, completely exhausted. The world spun around her, her eyes closing involuntarily. Gasping for air, Nivalis looked at the sky, her vision blurry and unfocused. More than anything, she wanted to sleep; her body was way too weak to continue.

But the image of her children flashed through her mind once again. 'No, I can't faint... not here... not yet,' she thought, trying her best to stay awake.

She groaned, trying to sit up. Her left arm was completely limp, hanging uselessly at her side, and her legs... "Oh fucking hell," Nivalis cried out, seeing the wooden spear still deep in her flesh. The blood was pouring out, and she knew she was in big trouble. Her other leg was no better, her knee twisted unnaturally, dislocated.

She knew that removing the spear was a bad idea and would make her bleed faster. But she had exactly what she needed, even though it was only a temporary solution. Nivalis removed her backpack from her shoulders and took out the rope. Her hands trembled violently, making it difficult for her to tie it above her injured thigh, but she kept trying anyway. Eventually, after a few failed attempts, she managed to tighten it enough. She used her teeth to pull the end of the rope and tied it in a knot. It made the blood flow much slower but did not completely stop.

Gritting her teeth, she managed to roll on her side. With only her right hand, she began crawling through the mud, dragging her body away from the river. The spear kept hitting the ground as she moved, cutting the flesh of her thigh and making her scream and cry, but she kept crawling.

Barely seeing where she was going, Nivalis pushed herself forward. Every single part of her body hurt; every breath sent a sharp pain through her chest. Tears ran down her cheeks uncontrollably, and her heart pounded so fast that it threatened to jump out of her throat.

The blood continued to pour from her wounds, mixing with the mud as she struggled to keep going, her hand sinking deep into the cold, wet ground, only to pull herself slightly forward. The forest around her was quiet and still; no sound could be heard. No wind blew, no animals moved, and no trees rustled their branches. There was no one around to witness her struggle or come to her rescue. No one heard her desperate cries, and no one noticed her tears.

'I have to make it... I have to... see my children,' she repeated to herself, crawling through the mud. Part of her knows that even if she makes it to the cave, there is little chance for her to see another day, not with such injuries. But at least she could try her best to see her little babies one last time, to say how much she loves them, to see their bright smiles, to hug them tightly, and to say a proper goodbye. They deserve to have a chance to say goodbye to their mother, one thing that Nivalis never had and always regretted.

The forest was a blur, but she continued to move, her arm pushing and pulling her broken body. "Silvia... Asty..." she muttered the names of her children one last time, her voice barely a whisper. "I'm... com... ing." she breathed out before her eyes closed and the darkness took her.

30