Chapter: 8
397 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(3rd Person: POV)

To say Elyon Chaeran has confidence bordering on arrogance would not be a lie.

He constantly boasts about his skills and accomplishments without any shame whatsoever.

Yet, despite his actions no one he's ever worked with would ever say he is unreliable. In fact, all of them would say he would be a great ally to have in tough situations. Since when such situations arrive Elyon displays calm and decisive thinking, as well as acts in the best interest of the group. Namely making sure they all make it out of the situation they have found themselves in alive.

Since that's just the kind of man Elyon Chaeran is.

The type of man he swore to himself to become after his home village was destroyed by marauders when he was only eight-years old.

On that day Elyons' life was changed forever as basically everything he knew was taken from him. His home, his family, his innocence, etc.

The only reason Elyon did not fall into despair is because of his childhood friend Elsie and his teacher Ludwin.

The latter was also from the same village from him and was the only other person to survive the attack that day. Of all of which was thanks to the latter.

Ludwin is the man who saved Elyon and Elsie from death when their village was destroyed.

He took them in and trained them. Helped them become mercenaries and showed them many things.

To say Elyon and Elsie respected no other as highly as Ludwin would be an understatement.

For he was their savior.

But now, that is no longer the case

***

*Baaa!"

Spitting up blood onto the ground Elsie, with a completely shocked and confused expression on her face, slowly turned her around to face Ludwin.

Who currently is wearing a blank expression on his face.

"W-Why?" Elsie muttered. "Why?" She managed to ask again. Coughing up a bit of blood after she did so.

Elsie can't understand it. Why did Ludwin stab her? Why is he betraying her?

'Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?!!!!!" Elsie thought.

"Why?" Elsie asked Ludwin once more. This time, small tears forming at the corners of her eyes as she did so.

Seeing this Ludwin changed the blank expression on his face to one of disgust and annoyance. "My, what a dumb girl you are." He spat. "I thought my actions would make it obvious. I am your enemy. Always have been." He stated. "Anyway enough talking. It's time for me to finally be rid of you annoying br-"

"LUDWIN!!!!"

Shouting Ludwins' name in utter anger Elyon took aim at him with the arrows notched in his bow and fired them at the man.

But the moment this happen Ludwin jumped back, removing his spear from Elsies' gut in the process, and the Grabak cult members surrounding the group started firing off arrows and magical attacks of their own at Elsie and Elyon.

Ludwin easily dodged the arrows Elyon fired at him.

As he did so Elyon also moved and dodged all of the arrows and magical attacks the Grabak cult members sent in his direction. But as he did so he saw Elsie was about to get hit by the attacks aimed in her direction, since the wound to her gut made her unable to dodge.

"Elsie!" Elyon shouted.

Right after he did so he rushed over to Elsie and picked her up in his arms, using his body to shield her, while also dodging the Grabak cult members attacks.

Elyon succeeded for the most part. Elsie did not get injured, but his back did get his with several magic attacks.

Despite this Elyon did not fall.

He stayed standing.

"My, what a resilient little shit you are." Ludwin spoke. Seeing Elyon still standing after being attacked. "Disgusting. Just be a good little pawn and go to the afterlife without fuss. Finish them." He said to the Grabak cult members.

"Yes, Drengr Ludwin." One of the cult members responded. Addressing Ludwin with respect.

Since he is a Drengr.

A high-ranking member within the Grabak cult. Much more important than the cloaked figures standing around him who are nothing but acolytes. The lowest-ranked members of the cult. Meanwhile the highest rank members of the cult are known as the Einherjar, of which there are only seven.

As the acolytes prepared to launch their next round of attacks Elyons' mind was racing for a way out of the situation he was in.

'Going through them is suicide. Especially with that bastard Ludwin on their side.' Elyon thought. 'Not to mention both Elsie and I are injured.'

The more Elyon thought about his current predicament the more he started to allow despair to creep into his heart.

'Dammit! Think!' Elyon told himself.

As he did so and his mind constantly raced his gaze suddenly landed on the river. Seeing it a spark of hope re-lit within him.

'It's crazy but it's our only option right now.' Elyon thought.

So then with no hesitation whatsoever he ran forward and jumped into the river. Allowing its flow to begin carrying him and Elsie down it.

"Fire, don't let them escape!" A cloaked acolyte shouted, pointing at Elyon and Elsie floating in the river as he did so.

Hearing their ally the other acolytes began launching magical attacks and arrows at Elsie and Elyon in the river.

But as they did so Elyon ignored the pain screaming at him from his body and did his best to dodge each and every attack. In the end he managed to do so as the river continued carrying him and Elsie down it.

Once the pair were out of sight and firing range a cloaked Grabak cult member pointed in their direction. "After them!" He shouted.

"No." Ludwin immediately spoke up.

The moment he did so the acolytes turned in his direction.

"Are you sure Drengr Ludwin?" An acolyte questioned.

"I am." Ludwin stated. "We have this whole section of the forest under our control. The two of them are injured. So even if by some miracle they survive they are not getting out of here alive." He spoke. "Now then, let us leave this place. We have more important matters to attend to."

"Yes, Drengr Ludwin!" The acolytes shouted in unison.

Hearing this brought a satisfied smile to Ludwins' face.

Wearing it he and the acolytes left the area.

***

(Cain: POV)

Dodging a spear thrust aimed at my chest, I stepped to the left and then swung my blade, slicing open the neck of the Grabak cult member who was attacking me. A cold and unfeeling expression on my face as I did so.

As the cult member in front of me stumbled as blood spurted from the wound I created on his neck just seconds ago I followed it up by kicking him in the chest, which sent him right on his ass. The moment this happened I stepped forward and ran my sword directly through his chest.

When I saw the light having completely faded from my enemies eyes I removed my blade from it, and then lightly flicked it to remove any blood still clinging to it.

Once the blood that had been on my blade hit the ground I turned to face Sini, Azure, and Zena. All of whom had finished dealing with the enemies they were facing as well.

Making this the fifth Grabak cult member attack we had fended off in the past few hours. Ever since we faced and dealt with that initial one near the hollowed out tree where our group had taken a rest at earlier. Since then the attacks have just kept coming, showing no signs of slowing down. Telling me the cult likely has this entire area of the Great Jord Forest under their control.

Which is not good.

Not good at all.

"Everyone okay?" I asked the girls as we regrouped.

"Yes. No harm has come to my person." Zena told us.

"I'm good." Azure spoke.

"The same." Sini said. "Just tired." She added.

'She's not the only one.' I thought.

Seeing both Azure and Zena wearing slightly tired expressions on their faces. Not to mention I am feeling fatigued myself.

These constant attacks by the cult members are wearing down on our groups stamina both physically and mentally. If we don't get a reprieve soon we'll definitely be in trouble.

"Alright then, let's keep moving." I spoke.

The twins and Zena nodded at my words.

Once they did so the four of us started moving through the forest, keeping our guards up for any more attacks, while also looking for anyone else from the expedition party.

Another couple of hours passed as continued our trek. Thankfully we didn't encounter any more cult members, but unfortunately we didn't encounter any other members of the expedition party either.

Arriving at a riverbank the four of us decided to refill our water supply as well as take a quick rest. Though right after we decided to do this an arm shout of the river.

The moment it did so the four of us got ready for a battle.

But we immediately dismissed the thought when we saw the arm in question belong to Elyon. Who pulled himself out of the river, an unconscious and injured Elsie firmly secured in his other arm. He is also injured, given the wounds I can see on his back.

Once the two of them were firmly on solid ground Elyon looked around and his eyes landed on us. When they did so he reached his free hand out in our direction. "H...help...us.." He hoarsely spoke.

Then Elyon immediately passed out.

The second after he did so our group rushed to him and Elsie and pulled them further inland.

Once we did so we pulled them apart and did our best to treat their wounds. Using first-aid, and some high quality healing potions that Zena was carrying on her.

When the treatment of the two was finished our group set up a small camp, since we agreed moving Elsie and Elyon in their current conditions was insane. So the four of us started working in shifts, monitoring both the area for enemies and the two of them.

As night set in and the moon rose in the sky I sat near Elyon and Elsie, bandages covering their bodies, watching as their chests slowly rose and fell.

Zena sitting there right along side me doing the exact same thing.

The two of us have just finished our patrol of the area, and have now switched with the twins to watch over these two.

"Do you think they'll make it?" I asked Zena.

"No clue." She replied. "But the fact both of them are still breathing is a good sign, no?"

"Yeah." I replied." I just wish we could do more for them."

But sadly we can't. Since none of us can use healing magic and healing potions can only do so much before their effects become negligible when dealing with certain injuries and wounds.

"As do I." Zena replied.

The two of us then fell into a comfortable silence.

A pattern that continued when we switched to area patrol with Sini and Azure again.

Our weapons drawn Zena and I patrolled the area, using our enhanced senses thanks to our respective heritages.

*Rustle*

Hearing a rustle in a patch of nearby bushes the two of us stopped in our tracks and raised our weapons in its direction. I also started spreading my threads around the area to make sure no enemies escaped.

Zena and I moved in to launch the initial attack of the battle, but immediately stopped when we saw Oliver and several of his men come out of the bushes.

"Lord Kirkwood." I muttered. "Good to see you." I spoke.

"The same to you." He told me.

Once he did so I recalled my threads and then we led Oswald and his small group back to our campsite.

Where upon arrival one of his men started using healing magic on Elyon and Elsie, since he knew it and after we explained the situation to Oliver he had no trouble lending us a hand.

He truly is a noble in every sense of the word.

Thanks to the healing magic used on them Elyon and Elsie didn't take long to wake up afterward.

The moment this happened the two of them shared a passionate hug, and Elsie even full on kissed Elyon.

I wanted to comment, but kept my mouth shut since I didn't want to ruin the moment. The same with everyone else.

As Elsie broke the kiss Elyon tried to speak, but no words came out of his mouth.

Several seconds passed as this went on and sensing things getting slightly awkward I spoke up.

"So, Elyon, how did you two end up so battered and beaten?" I questioned.

The moment I did so Elyon got a furious expression on his face, while Elsie looked completely devastated and even started crying a bit.

Turning to face me Elyon spoke. "It was Ludwin. He's betrayed us, and is in fact a member of the Grabak cult. Something called a Drengr." He revealed.

Hearing this everyone got shocked expressions on their faces, even me.

Since if Ludwin has betrayed that means we're in deep deep trouble.

Especially given how strong he is.

Looks like what they say is true.

When it rains, it fucking pours.

13