Chapter 2: Something is wrong with this Mothership.
632 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The door to the medical cabin opened and the green lights in the white hallway came on, telling Alan Taylor the location of the elevator leading to the bridge. The nurse guarding the door lowered her head and ran to the medical cabin to clean it. 

 

[The administrator has woken up, please pay attention to the work arrangements of all units... The manager has woken up...] In the corridor, the broadcast from the main brain is still echoing. 

 

However, the whole place still seemed empty. Alan Taylor walked for a long time before he saw two soldiers in black uniforms at the elevator door. 

 

Seeing Alan Taylor approaching, the two soldiers stood at attention and gave a very standard military salute, "Hello, Administrator!" 

 

Alan Taylor was a little uncomfortable with it, but he still nodded in return. Seeing his response, the two soldiers raised their well-developed chest muscles higher. 

 

After taking what felt like a long elevator ride, he arrived at a very wide hall. At the door were two more soldiers. When they saw Alan Taylor approaching, they immediately stood at attention and saluted. 

 

In the center of the hall is a huge holographic projection star map, but most of the star map is dark and nothing can be seen. 

 

There are many seats and consoles around. It seems that for this place to start functioning, at least hundreds of people need to work together at the same time, but now there are only a dozen people working in the hall. 

 

“Salute!” Everyone present stood up and saluted Alan Taylor, “Hello, manager!” 

 

Alan Taylor was a little uncomfortable with this, but he still nodded and looked outside through the huge panoramic observation window. A green planet came into view. Unlike Earth which is mostly blue, this planet has a lot of vegetation, so everything appears green. 

 

At the periphery of the planet, white atmospheric clouds are clearly visible, showing the good environment of the planet. 

 

However, the most eye-catching thing is not this planet, but an extremely huge planet behind it. Compared with the giant planet, the small planet in front of us is like a mouse standing at the feet of an elephant. 

 

The light blue sphere looks smooth and clean, with only a few places containing dark cyclones, like the bouncy balls we played with when we were children - it is obvious that this is a gas giant planet. 

 

“This is the habitable planet we have found now?” Alan Taylor asked. 

 

[Yes, Administrator.] The holographic projection in the center immediately switched to the appearance of a star system. The main brain explained. [The current star system is a stable binary star system, with two stars constantly rotating around a common center point. There is only one planet in the star system. Said planet is a gas giant with a diameter of 48,951 kilometers.] 

 

[[Also, there are 9 satellites surrounding this gas giant, and we are now close to one of them. There is also a satellite with a suitable climate, but the ocean coverage is more than 95%, which is not suitable for colonization under the current conditions.] 

 

"Nine satellites orbiting a gas giant?" Alan Taylor frowned and thought, "Okay, that means we can only colonize this asteroid, right? At least first Tell me how things are going now.”  

  

A young man of 25 or 26 years old, wearing a dark blue military uniform, stood up on the round table nearby. He saluted Alan Taylor and then said, "First we need to replenish conventional fuel. The atmosphere of this gas giant contains a large amount of fuel." Helium can be used as energy source for various spacecraft fusion reactors. Therefore, it is necessary to build a mining station near the giant planet. There are modular semi-finished products in the Mothership's warehouse, and some small engineering spacecrafts are stored in the hangar to complete the assembly work, but these spacecrafts need people to pilot them.”  

  

“So, I need to wake up these pilots?” 

  

"Yes, after you woke up from hibernation, the main brain woke up a total of 50 of us to start preparations for you in advance. Among them, 10 marines, 5 civilian personnel, 5 staff officers, 5 correspondents, 5 maintenance personnel, and 10 Mothership control personnel, in addition to 10 medical staff to ensure our health status at all times. Now we need your authorization to wake up more people."  

 

“Very good, what’s your name?” Alan Taylor saw that this man was very professional and asked.  

  

"My name is Jaspar Cata! I am a member of the staff!" Jaspar Cata puffed up his chest and answered loudly.  

  

"Jaspar Cata, this is a good name, very good. If there is no corresponding position yet, then from now on you will be our temporary chief of staff." Alan Taylor said.  

  

He has probably understood something. What he needs to do now is to first build a team. He himself can't understand everything, but as long as someone below understands, that's fine.  

  

Sure enough, after being appointed by Alan Taylor, Jaspar Cata suddenly became excited. He replied loudly: "Yes! I promise to complete the task!"  

  

“Okay, let me see the situation of our hibernating crew members.” Following the prompt from the main brain, Alan Taylor sat down on the highest seat in the center of the command bridge, and a huge holographic screen immediately opened in front of him.  

  

The people listed on the screen who can be awakened include 600,000 residents and 50,000 crew members, all of whom specialize in different fields. As for the current situation, it is obvious that people should be selected among the 50,000 crew members to wake them up. These people are more familiar with the work on the Mothership.  

  

These personnel are also divided into different levels, including ordinary, elite, and master. After that, there are three levels that are all question marks. The conditions that need to be met to awaken these people are also different.  

  

For example, master-level talents are basically masters who have reached the pinnacle of their respective fields. If you want to awaken such people to face a colony that is so poor that they don't even have a tent, it would be as wasteful as asking a postdoctoral fellow to move bricks.  

  

So, these talents are marked with the conditions that need to be met to wake them up, and most of these conditions are conditions that they put forward before entering cryo-hibernation and were determined after signing a contract with the Mothership.  

  

Alan Taylor was curious to see who the master-level people were. He clicked on a person and found that he was a master-level astrophysicist. His request was for a three-story villa with a private swimming pool and the most advanced laboratories, and a super radio astronomy observatory built on a plateau at least 3,000 meters above sea level.  

  

Clicked on another one. This is a master of quantum mechanics. He needs a dust-free environment laboratory, the most advanced experimental equipment, a particle collider at least 50 kilometers long, and two assitent aged no more than 20 years old. A beautiful woman as a personal secretary and a large velvet bed with a diameter of no less than 5 meters?  

  

Wait a minute... Brother, there's something wrong with you!  

  

There are also some more normal requirements. For example, the needs of a master sociologist are very simple, not food or clothing, as long as the colonial population exceeds 10 million...  

  

Alan Taylor decisively closed the master-level interface. He didn’t even look at the elite level this time. He has nothing now. Even if you wake up those people, they will probably just abandon their jobs. 

  

This is actually the truth. In fact, ordinary-level characters, such as workers, can do a good job in the early stage. At most, some elite-level characters are needed to take the lead.  

  

However, it is still necessary to have stricter conditions for awakening a master-level figure. For example, if you awaken a master-level physicist while the colony is still under construction, and there are no sophisticated instruments or laboratories, why would you let him come? Going to school to teach physics? The problem is that you don’t even have a school now!  

  

Most of these master-level figures are 50 to 60 years old. Should I waste a year of their lives and have them help the development of the early colonial period? 

  

So it is not without reason that these people signed such conditions and contracts before falling asleep.  

  

Relatively speaking, ordinary-level people don’t have many conditions to wake up. If you open it and take a look, its requirements are basically to have food, shelter, and work to do. Only a small number of people's requirements are that the working environment requires members of the opposite sex, or they hope to have small conditions such as being able to eat noodles.  

  

Before authorizing the awakening, Alan Taylor thought for a moment and asked, "Main Brain, am I the only one who can authorize the awakening of the crew? And these people all work for me?" 

  

[Yes, you are the highest-level authority owner of the Mothership. All crew members and residents are also chosen by you and will be loyal to you.] 

  

Alan Taylor nodded silently. He quickly found the engineering department among the ordinary crew members, and then decided to awaken 10 teams, each with 10 people, responsible for controlling an engineering spacecraft. He then woke up two teams of 10 people as logistics and maintenance personnel. After each team's captains were named, a small leadership team was established. 

  

After getting started to work, Alan Taylor quickly got into the leadership role. The Main Brain said before that he had learned all the necessary knowledge in his sleep. This kind of small-scale work distribution is still very simple. He also woke up 20 people from the Department of Agriculture to take care of the mothership's hydroponic cabin, because after checking it he found that many of the crops were withered. 

  

No wonder the Main Brain told him that the supplies had run out. He didn’t know what happened to the ship. Maybe it was a disaster?  

  

After finishing the most urgent work, Alan Taylor breathed a sigh of relief, crossed his legs and said, "Main Brain, please introduce the basic situation of this Mothership."  

  

[Ok.]  

  

The central holographic projection showed a panoramic view of the mothership, and then the Main Brain continued to explain. [The civilization to which this ship belongs is unknown, the manufacturer is unknown, and its specifications are civilian colonial motherships. It has only the minimum armament and armor, and currently has the highest authority. Owner and administrator Alan Taylor.]  

  

[Technical parameters: Total height 41.37km, longest part 10.92km, total weight 373.079 billion tons. Armament: 5 mass projectors and a point defense system containing 377 small electromagnetic rapid-fire cannons. Total capacity...]  

  

While the Master Brain explained things in a clear and orderly manner, Alan Taylor did not pay attention to him at all. Because he was stunned by the holographic projection of the huge spaceship that appeared in front of him. 

  

This is a giant spaceship that looks like a crescent moon or a banana. The overall design has a very simple aesthetic. There is a gap in the upper middle, where there are a large number of portholes, and there is the command bridge.  

  

What surprised Alan Taylor was not the enormous size of this supergiant ship, but because... He knew this ship! 

  

"Homeworld! Kushan's Mothership!" Alan Taylor's face changed drastically, and he cried out. 

  

Alan Taylor has certainly played the famous game 'Homeworld'. It is equivalent to an epoch-making game that ushered in a new era of space real-time strategy games. Not only that, but this game is also famous for its grand plot. Alan Taylor, who was still in elementary school at that time, was deeply fascinated by this game.  

  

But now, this Kushan mothership, which can be said to be the iconic ship in the entire 'Homeworld' game, is actually the ship that now belongs to him? 

  

This is not right! Why do things in the game become reality? Also, if even the Mothership in 'Homeworld appears in the reality, does that mean... that dream might be true? 

12