3 – Inventory
261 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking aimlessly down the unfamiliar streets, Mark found himself disheartened by one glaring fact – he had no clue where he was headed. In most situations like this, a character in his predicament would typically stumble upon a miraculous cheat item or gain an incredible ability, slapping everyone in their path. However, even with his photographic memory, no such miraculous solution came to mind.

He halted in his tracks, deciding it was high time to regroup and formulate a plan. First and foremost, he needed to gather information about Duncan. He had been trying to ignore the creeping feeling he had looking at his name, but there was no point in beating around the bush.
Name: Duncan Linrad

Seeing his last name, Linrad, mirrored from Earth was a startling revelation. Mark couldn't understand why his first name changed to Duncan, yet his last name remained the same.
On top of this, he had no info on who Duncan was at all. With a skill like photographic memory, he would figure he could remember Duncan's life, but he was simply drawing a blank.

Next, the question arose – when was he? The fact that Bastion hadn't yet devolved into a post-apocalyptic nightmare indicated that he was either in the story's post-ending phase or, more likely, before the climactic finale. Speaking of the ending, he had never managed to read it, but the story had a vibe that foreboded imminent doom.
If his hunch was correct, he'd be screwed unless he decided to diverge from the plot. Yes, he said it, deviate from the plot.

He had no intention of becoming a spineless protagonist, constantly fretting about the plot unraveling with every minor decision. By now, his actions had most likely already caused ripple effects; who knows how much hes changed.

Lastly, he required a reliable source of income – swift and low-risk, preferably. "If only I had the main character's system or inventory," he sighed in wishful thinking.
But suddenly, a luminous azure window materialized before his eyes.

=== Inventory (0/1) ===

 

=================

His jaw fell in awe. The prospect of an inventory meant...

"SYSTEM!!!"

"..."

"Cough..."

His cheeks flushed as everyone around him gawked, as if he were a lunatic. He tried to plead with his eyes, urging them to understand that he wasn't an imbecile, but the damage was done. It appeared he hadn't inherited the main character's system, only the inventory. While he felt a pang of disappointment, he understood the worth of such a gift. The potential advantages of an inventory were countless. This feature would also synergize beautifully with his profession, [Unconventional Weaponmaster].

For now, his primary goal was to collect information, and the quickest route led him to the Ardenvale Archives. The archives were a hub of knowledge, and were maintained by the human government. As he approached the towering skyscraper, it emanated an otherworldly aura that hinted at the abundance of knowledge within. Though his ability to sense mana was negligible, he could still feel the intense waves of mana radiating from the building.

Passing through a set of revolving doors, he ventured deeper into the heart of the archive. He began his investigation by perusing the geography of Ardenvale, leafing through a well-worn book that offered insights into the city's layout.

The world of Bastion of Humanity had many towns and cities, the city he was in right now was Ardenvale. He could clearly recognize some of the street names he had passed by as he scanned through the book. In comparison to his old Earth, humanity's territory was a fraction of the size here.

After mystical creatures came over, they began taking land by force. This was not helped by the tectonic plates which began to rapidly shift due to the introduction of mana. Seven continents became one super continent, known as Pangea Prime. With this, humanity had its borders pushed, and was forced to establish academies to train humanity to fight back against the magical threats.

The most formidable of these institutions was the "Bastion of Humanity," nestled within the capital city of Ardenvale. Each race had its own bastion, with even the demonkind having their own version.
Despite occupying a fraction of Earth's land, humanity still controlled a substantial one-fourth of Pangea Prime. In the face of countless mystical creatures, this was a considerable territory to safeguard.

Setting aside the book, Mark shifted his focus to the enigma that was Duncan Linrad. If he was honest, he wasn't sure where to even begin. He figured he might as well first earn some form of ID, so he made his way to the archives central reception area. A woman sat at the desk and had a scholarly air, with a set of silver wire-framed glasses that displayed an air of wisdom.
"Hello," he greeted with feigned cheer, attempting to mask his nerves. "I lost my wristwatch, and I need a replacement."

The receptionist scrutinized him, her gaze sharp. "Lost your watch? That's unusual; it's designed to withstand even an B- Rank attack. I can sense you're far from that."
He chuckled awkwardly. In the novel, everyone would be provided a high tech wristwatch that would bond to their unique biometric ID. This watch essentially acted as an ID, phone, and credit card all in one.

The receptionist sighed, then pressed a series of holographic buttons on her screen. A wristwatch emerged from a compartment on her desk. "Here's your replacement. Be more careful this time."
Mark nodded, taking the watch, and retreated to a quiet corner near the bathroom. The sleek, black band had a minimalist design. In the novel, characters would bind their biometric ID to the watch with a drop of blood. The prospect of self-inflicted injury for a mere wristwatch didn't sit well with him, so he decided to try an idea that had been lingering in the back of his mind.

Gently, he placed his hand against his palm, visualizing a red blood cell entering his inventory. Suddenly, he felt a momentary mental pull, then opened his eyes to a surprising sight.

=== Inventory (1/1) ===

- 1x Red Blood Cell

=================

 

8