Thirty-fifth Encounter
4.9k 8 106
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thirty-fifth Encounter

“Is this seriously, the big bad demon lord everyone is so afraid of?” (man 1)

“I believe so, sir. This is the floor 10 boss room, which is the reported location. The room and the creature both match the reports.” (man 2)

“Are you sure we aren’t missing information? It’s hard to believe a creature so small could have defeated Mason.” (woman 1)

“Don’t let appearances fool you. Monsters can be far stronger than they look. Did you forget that basic lesson against Horned Rabbits?” (woman 2)

This group was unusual. Two men and two women. They don’t seem to have decided what to do yet… but then, I haven’t decided either.

“Hmph! I’m an A rank! This dungeon has the lowest danger rating of them all! How dangerous can a boss here be? It’s not even the end boss of the dungeon!” (man 1)

“It’s a low danger rank, because the biggest worry is how badly your ass will be gaped if you lose! It’s not about fight difficulty, but about risk of returning alive! Only 5 people have disappeared in here, over the past decade, compared to most dungeons losing that many every month!” (man 2)

“Bah! I’ll show you how weak she is!” (woman 1) 

Looks like the fools insist on a fight. I swiftly moved to the bathroom doorway, pulling Sam along with me to hide him behind me.

“Hah! She can’t even handle me alone!” (woman 1)

What the hell? How did a woman this good at dual wielding swords end up here? At this time? I thought Mason was supposed to be the biggest threat to me? I’m barely able to defend myself! If even one more person joins the fight, I’m doomed!

“Eternal Blaze!” (woman 2)

… ow. Burning to death, even when it happens fast, hurts a lot! Way worse than getting stabbed through the heart. What the hell is this? This party is stronger than the hero party is! What the fuck is going on?! Damnit, feels like I just ran into one of those forced loss encounters in games that happen to remind the player they aren’t invincible after a big win. 

I’m starting to wonder if I’m really just a low level early game boss. The first real challenge a player in a game meets. Hard at first, but a total push over later on. Demon Lord? Laughable. I didn’t even know it was possible for someone to get that good at sword fighting. I needed a dozen tendrils to keep up with how fast she attacked, despite her only having two swords!

What the hell is up with this world?! Why is someone that powerful just a random adventurer? Why is the head priest so weak? Why is the hero so weak? Why am I so weak? How does the power balance in this world even work? Damnit. How am I supposed to avoid death with people that strong wandering around? I don’t like dying.

“Good morning, Lily.” (Sam)

When I woke, my head was in Sam’s lap as I lay in bed, and he was sitting up.

“Morning, Sam. Why was someone that powerful not part of the hero team or the head priest team?” (me)

“I don’t know, but I really never thought I’d see the Tempest Blade in person. Didn’t even realize it was her until I saw her fight. The faint green glow of her swords, and the way she seemed to be just a blur of strikes fits every tale I know of her. Wish I knew why she was here. She should know you don’t stay dead when killed, and the guild doesn’t tell people how to actually destroy dungeons. That’s a state secret.” (Sam)

“Why does this world need heroes with people that powerful around?” (me)

“According to the stories, only the heroes are able to obtain and wield the sacred artifacts of light, from the four hidden temples.” (Sam)

“Did the hero have any of them when they were here?” (me)

“Nope.” (Sam)

“Are the artifacts needed to defeat the demon lord?” (me)

“That’s what the legends say.” (Sam)

“Huh.” (me)

***Author Note***

Once again I rolled a die for how well the attacker would do… natural 20. DnD players know what I’m saying, I think. That went as well for the attacker as it possibly could. Which leaves me with the question: Why is one of the world’s greatest sword masters traveling with HIM?! I’d already decided who that guy leading the party is. His identity was supposed to get revealed, but the opportunity didn’t happen… because for some reason he has a companion who is absurdly strong. Well, I guess this detail means a few other bits of world history just got set. Wait… how famous is she? *rolls* 20! Fuck. *quickly rewrites a bit of the ending conversation*

P.S. The plan was for an arrogant fool to get his hubris kicked in, but his helper rolling a 20 for how well they’d do completely ruined that plan. I could’ve dealt with something like a 15 or so, by just explaining that Lily wasn’t trying very hard yet (she hasn’t decided how to deal with them yet), but a 20 is just too much. Never got to deliver the infamous: “Don’t you know who I am?!”

106