Seventy-sixth Encounter
1.7k 9 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seventy-sixth Encounter

“Ichigo? Why are you here? … and why are you alone?” (me)

“Sorry, I just kinda wanted someone to talk to who might understand. Since you’re also an otherworlder, you should understand better than the locals.” (Ichigo)

“Are you missing home?” (me)

“No, not really. The problem is something else… I feel unimportant. I’ve read so many stories of people visiting other worlds and becoming heroes, so when I got summoned and told I was a hero, I was expecting to do great things and become famous and popular!” (Ichigo)

“Reality is not what you were expecting, huh?” (me)

“Not at all. It seemed like it might be how I thought at first. However, once the war with Mason ended, it’s felt like there is nothing for me to do. The party dissolved and I’m left wandering aimlessly. People hardly even pay any attention to me now.” (Ichigo)

“I guess you’re not one of those guys seeking a slow life, huh?” (me)

“No, I guess not. Heh, this is what those main characters wanted, isn’t it? Being ignored and able to live peacefully? I was hoping for the chaotic mess those characters always end up in. The romantic entanglements and constant action and adventure. All the people relying upon them. No one is relying upon me now.” (Ichigo)

“If you want people to rely upon you, you could just start doing something to help people. It doesn’t have to be anything big or fancy, just something small like visiting kids at an orphanage routinely, and helping out a little.” (me)

Ichigo just kinda stared at me after that.

“Have you not taken action on your own before?”  (me)

“Uh, no, not really. I mean… I’d look for work, and check in on people I know to see if they need anything, but I never thought to just do something without being asked to do it. What if I mess up? How am I supposed to know what’s needed?” (Ichigo)

“I’m probably not the right person to ask for advice on that. All I can really say, is that sometimes you just need to figure out what you want to do, and do it. If you spend your life waiting for the answer to show up, you might never get what you want, and ultimately have less control over your fate.” (me)

“... I don’t even know what I want.” (Ichigo)

“Well, think about it. Finding something you care about is an important part of really living, rather than just existing.” (me)

“... I suppose I haven’t really been a very active participant in my life… you ever think of being a therapist?” (Ichigo)

“Ugh, I couldn’t handle listening to people’s problems every day. No thank you.” (me)

“Heh, well, I think you helped me with mine… I’m a little disappointed Emmara chose you over me though. When we first met I thought for sure, she’d be the one.” (Ichigo)

“You’re too stuck in cliche. Reality isn’t a fantasy tale.” (me)

“Yeah… I’m not a character in a manga or anime. I’d assumed things would unfold like in those stories, but it really hasn’t been like that at all.” (Ichigo)

“Has the god of light spoken to you at all?” (me)

“No. They’ve not said much of anything since the time I was told to apologize to you. I probably wouldn’t be so lost if they’d answer my prayers.” (Ichigo)

“I’m really beginning to believe the gods of this world are lazy fucks.” (me)

“Heh, they certainly seem a lot less active than I’d expected when I first arrived. Well, thanks for the talk, I’m gonna head out.” (Ichigo)

“Shall I send you back to the entrance?” (me)

“Yeah, that’d be good. Thanks.” (Ichigo)

Then he vanished as I willed him gone. It did feel a little different than what I was used to though. Like there was a clear choice in where to send him. I don’t know how I knew there was a choice, but there was. In addition to sending them back to the start of the dungeon, I could also send them onward as if they’d won. Or just send them to the other side of the entrance to my room. 

***Author Note***

Ichigo didn’t quite get the isekai adventure he expected. It started off good enough, but after the war, the party dissolved and he found himself mostly alone with no clear objective and no harem. Since he’s not the main character, he doesn’t get the benefit of the author making things happen for him. Instead, he’s gonna have to get more proactive himself if he wants an interesting life. Especially since most people aren’t going to ask a famous hero for help with cellar rats. 

44