Case 73: The holy country of Neveah – Phase two.
1.6k 9 92
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[You have defeated a Lv.60 Guardian D-32]

[Proficiency achieved a certain level]

[Being: Aurora Lv.43 has become Lv.49]

[6 skill points acquired]

[Achievement unlocked: Dragon Slayer]

[2 skill points acquired]

[Title: 'Dragon Slayer' acquired]

[Dragon Slayer: The one who has slayed a mighty dragon. +0.4 for all stats when facing reptile-type enemies] [Epic]

''Hm...''

Floating in the air, Aurora quietly ponders. This title is indeed nice to have, but it is not needed at the moment. There is no upcoming reptile-type opponent that she knows of.

Nevertheless, it is now time to use her newly gained skill points. If she still wants to preserve six points for emergencies, then she will have nine to spare.

[Skill: Acceleration Lv.1 acquired]

Without much hesitation, Aurora goes into the shop and buys [Acceleration], then raises its level all the way to 5. That costs her six points, so she uses the remaining three to upgrade [Swordsmanship] to level 6.

[5 skill points consumed]

[Skill upgraded: Acceleration Lv.1 -> Lv.5]

[3 skill points consumed]

[Skill upgraded: Swordsmanship Lv.5 -> Lv.6]

Acceleration is a great skill. It slightly increases its owner's overall speed, which means their brain will also get an enhancement. In a way, having this skill is similar to wearing a +0.1 INT equipment, on top of moving a bit faster. 

Although Aurora does not benefit as much from this due to her naturally high INT, with this purchase, she won't need to rely on borrowing this skill from Smiley anymore, in turn allowing her to gain a much more powerful skill from Nova: [Lightning Magic]

In theory, as a skill's level advances toward the level 10 cap, its power will rise significantly higher, so it should be natural for Aurora to take the Lv.9 [Ice Magic] rather than the Lv.8 [Lightning Magic]. However, Aurora already has ice in her veins, and wielding multiple elements will allow her to be flexible.

She has also switched Ariel's [Language] for Sapphire—Nova's left hand—'s [Auto Regeneration], making her much more resilient.

As Aurora opens her palm and channels the erratic energy inside her, a few zaps of lightning escape. She takes a final look at her status screen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Aurora              

Race: Owl-kin                    Title: The Underdog

Level: 49

HP: 131/131                    MP: 164/164

STR: 5.4                     INT: 8.5

AGI: 5.5                    STA: 5.5

Skill: [Lightning Magic Lv.8] [Ice Magic Lv.7],
[Light Magic Lv.7], [Fire Magic Lv.6],
[Swordsmanship Lv.6], [Auto Regeneration Lv.6],
[Sharp Claw Lv.5], [Deception Lv.5],
[Acceleration Lv.5], [Domination Lv.4],
[Teleportation Lv.4], [Enhanced Hearing Lv.3],
[Blink Lv.3], [Stealth Lv.3],
[Inspect Lv.3], [Night Vision Lv.2],
[Auto Regeneration Lv.2], [Flight Lv.3],
[Inventory Lv.2], [Heal Lv.2],
[Pain Tolerance Lv.1].

State: Normal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Aurora is ready.

Floating over the vast Neveah Square located right in front of the main church, Aurora turns her head toward the dumbfounded bunch standing on a small balcony. Vincent, expectedly, has a look of astonishment on his face, while his subordinates aren't much different.

'It should be here soon...'

Aurora mutters in her mind.

In the original game, phase two of this whole battle starts a few minutes—in-game time—after the player kills the nameless dragon. 

In many aspects, Guardian D-32 is quite similar to the ancient basilisk. They are both snake-like, both huge, and both ridiculously long. But above all that, they all have incredible survivability.

When Vincent's group offered their body parts to D-32, the dragon actually established a link to each and every one of its donors. This was to ensure the dragon's essence did not vanish if it was defeated.

A nasty way of obtaining spare bodies, basically.

Soon, it will take control of all thirty people who offered their bodies and continue pursuing its killer—Aurora. 

'Well, the other twenty-five will not be controlled, though.'

Not having to deal with an additional bunch of strong people is a blessing. Aurora feels like she needs to reward 049 more handsomely.

Nevertheless, after a bit of silence across the city, something finally happens.

At this point, Head Professor Claudia has regrouped with the elite students who chose to remain. They are currently hiding on the upper floor of a building with a full view of the main church and Miss G, carefully observing the situation.

They have not come out just yet since Miss G hasn't retreated, indicating something is still there, and when they see the abnormal state of Vincent's group, they raise their guard once again.

''Ugh... Argh!!''

''Kghn...!!''

The grunts of those on the balcony are so loud they can be heard from far away. The five feel a sharp pain in the missing parts of their bodies; it constantly gnaws at their minds, eating away their sanity—it is easily the most miserable state they've been through.

Soon, golden scales sprout out of those spots, quickly covering their bodies before growing even more to create elaborate, flashy armor. This, in turn, makes them look much bigger, and they appear as though aliens, moving erratically like malfunctioning dolls.

In the sky, Miss G—Aurora silently pulls out the Blackstar again and raises her free hand.

'Fifty-eight, fifty-nine, sixty-four, sixty-seven... And forty-nine. This is a jackpot...!'

Aurora has waited for them to transform, mainly because their levels increase a bit as they do, and practically, they do not get stronger. Free experience points if she has to describe it.

As she stares at her newly registered enemies, she points her sword at them, casting around a dozen plasma beams around the blade.

SWOOSH—!!

With a high screech, the beams rip through the air toward the enemies. As they get close, however, all five of them promptly dodge to the side, glaring at Aurora with their hollowed eyes.

'It's time.'

snap—!

Aurora snaps her finger lightly, and once again, a crack appears in the sky. Soon, a large gate forms itself under the starry sky; its ominous presence, this time not being overshadowed by D-32, makes ordinary people shudder.

————————————————!!!!!

At this moment, all of Neveah can hear it—a piercing wail that seems to nail every part of their body down is unleashed. As they look to the sky, they see a sparkling orca poking its head out of the gate; its dazzling silhouette makes even the stars embarrassed. Facing this creature, their instinct screams for them to run away without even needing to take a look at its status screen.

Following it is a whole army of whales and sharks, each wielding a respectable might on its own. At this, a professor in the academy's group below shouts.

''This... No way! Orcinus Nova?!''

Soon, people come to the realization that the monarch of North Zircon, the dreadful domain of the evil forest where everlasting winter rages, is appearing right before their eyes.

''Why is it with that woman...?!'' Claudia Heisenberg frowns, conflicting feelings arise in her heart.

The majority of the people are the same—panicked and confused, except for one. The blonde beauty with blue eyes calmly gazes at the sky or, more specifically, at her old friend and crush.

'Let's do this together, Aurora.'

''Professor Claudia, what should we do?!'' A staff member asks. ''Those are dangerous!''

''...Tch, fall back. Get all of the students out first.'' Claudia replies.

'''' Roger!! ''''

When everybody prepares to move out, a stern voice interrupts them.

''Wait.'' Number one of class B—Scarlett raises her hand. ''I wish to remain here.''

''You idiot!'' Claudia yells. ''It's not something you can handle—''

''I know. Who said I was going to jump in?''

When Scarlett declares it with a serious face, everybody in the building is genuinely baffled; regardless, Scarlett continues.

''I know I'll just die in a stupid way if I go in there. Still, I want to see the fight unfolding.''

'''' ... ''''

It is undeniable that a battle of this caliber ought to be worth watching, even for the elites such as them. The real question is—is it worth the risk?

''...I'll remain, too.''

''I want to see it as well.''

''Count me in.''

Eventually, students of class A all express their intent to observe the battle. The people of the academy have no choice but to stay and protect them as well.

''Fine, fine, you stubbornheads...'' Claudia groans. ''But we will move to a safer location. No compromise here.''

'''' Yes~ ''''

Seeing this almost ordinary classroom interaction, Chloe can't help but feel bad for these people.

'Y'all will have to fight anyway, unfortunately.'

She shakes her head slightly and moves along with them. As they get out of the building, some suddenly notice a few snowflakes falling onto their clothes.

'''' ...!! ''''

When they turn their head up, grey clouds have already filled the sky, obstructing the stars and the moon altogether. What starts as some simple snowflakes quickly turns into an intense storm; it engulfs the city whole, and soon, with every cell in their bodies, they can feel the hail of immense mana from the square washing over.

It is the official start of phase two.

92