20 – Slap
53 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I don't think i'll be able to keep up schedule. Unfortunately i'll have to shift to a "when it's done" workflow for this story's chapters.

 

Weekend.

Dailah's break, along with that of other participants from the Rat Lord subjugation, was almost over. Come Monday the everyday toil would resume. There was one last scheduled activity, however.

A boy no older than thirteen looked up at the giant black bird.

"..."

*...*

Did he never see a crowley up close, Dailah wondered.

"Do you need some help getting up on him?"

Looking back at her, Logos shyly nodded his head.

Carefully helping him up Mr. Crowley, she got up next. He seemed clumsy riding the bird so she decided to sit behind him.

According to Mariane, she promised to take Logos to the Epicure street fair that happened every month. Due to her current circumstances with the aftermath of the Rat Lord operation, she asked Dailah to take her place.

From what she heard it started mostly as a way for vendors to burn through their stock, but now it has become an event of its own, with many people aiming to sell their merchandise at this time.

That place, which was always lively no matter the time, was now even more filled with people. It was so hard to get around that they both had to get off the crowley and walk once they arrived.

A characteristic smell wafted in the air as they walked. It reminded her of home a little bit.

Dailah made sure to hold the kid's hand so as to not let him get lost. This part of town might be safe by most standards, but it was a young boy she was dealing with after all. Mother knows what would happen if he got separated from her, or how many extra holes Mariane would open on her body in case something happened to him.

She even brought her rifle and wore her witch hat just in case. It's a great pair for dissuasion.

"What is that, Miss Dailah?"

In the direction Logos pointed, there was a stall selling seaside products. But it wasn't just fish and mussels, there were also crabs, shrimps, lobsters and other creatures she had only seen in pictures.

She heard some chefs even prepared certain types of magical creatures you could find in the sea. Naturally, those tended to be dangerous for consumption so special care was required. Probably not the kind of food she'd find in a stall on the street.

"Oh! Hello little mister. Are you perhaps interested in tasting these shrimps?"

"Y-you eat them? They look so..."

Right beside the vendor selling the raw creatures, another stall prepared food with them. Possibly a tactic to lure buyers, or maybe disguise the foul smell.

Dailah got a package with shrimp for the three of them. Yes, she's including Mr. Crowley.

Logos stared at a fried shrimp in his hand fearfully, unsure if he should eat it.

"...i think you're supposed to remove the head." - Dailah spoke. At least the head didn't look very edible for her.

The boy clumsily removed the head of the shrimp, muttering "It looks better now...". He seemed unsure what to do with the head, so Dailah took it from him and gave it to the hungry bird behind them.

Logos carefully led the headless shrimp to his mouth and began munching.

"...its pretty tasty actually."

Having tried it herself, she confirmed it to have a sweet, fishy taste she couldn't quite compare with anything else.

Like that, they went around a few more stalls. All containing somewhat exotic pieces of culinary. Once they got tired, carrying cups of what was called "cashew juice", they went towards the central fountain to rest.

There, Dailah spotted a familiar face. Familiar in more ways than one.

What was her name again?

"Isn't that Miss Adelaide over there?"

Seems the boy has a better memory than hers.

Walking over to the younger girl, she noticed the two approaching. As soon as she laid her eyes on Logos, she immediately straightened herself and put on a forced poker face.

"A-ah! Greetings Miss Dailah, Mister Logos..."

You're stuttering girl. Well, it can't be helped.

They both sat close to her on the border of the fountain, Logos in the middle of the two. Dailah saw no particular reason to be wary of this girl. She clearly had a thing for the boy sure, but she's still Daniela'd daughter, she wouldn't do anything extreme. If she let her hormones get the better of her and crossed any line, Dailah could intervene then.

"Are you here for the fair too?" - The boy asked as he sipped from his drink. - "Auntie takes me here sometimes, but she's busy this weekend so..."

"I came here with mother but... got separated from her by accident."

So Daniela was here too. Dailah opened her mouth.

"Are you waiting for her then? I was going to ask if you wanted to come with us, but i suppose that you're busy."

A glint appeared in the girl's eyes. Then she spoke, still faking composure.

"T-that is not a problem at all! I'd love to accompany you two!" - She looked away, then said in a more subdued tone. - "I'm pretty sure Mother can find me even in this crowd..."

Right, Daniela was very good at detecting and identifying magic.

As they finished their juice, the three went to look around the fair together. Since they ate a whole bunch of snacks, neither was hungry despite being close to lunchtime, as such they focused on other curiosities that could be found here.

Both kids were surprised at seeing live animals being sold here, like rabbits and turtles. When Dailah told them those were meant to be slaughtered and eaten rather than kept as pets, they made strange faces. The idea probably sounded gruesome for kids bred in the city, Dailah thought.

She observed the two kids in silence from behind. Adelaide slowly got more comfortable around the boy. Based on the previous times she met the girl she assumed her to be a somewhat awkward kid, but she skillfully dealt with vendors and even managed to strike a few bargains. She even got a pair of gloves for Logos, barely hiding her smugness as she handed them. Men really do strange things to women.

Dailah herself didn't have much experience... no, rather than "not much" it would be more correct to call it "none". She never held much expectations to begin with, she knew better than anyone else she wasn't the type of person who could woo a man for herself. Marrying into a unit... although she gave it thought many times she can't deny Scariot's views on the matter, it would be a miserable life if you don't get along well with the other wives.

In the end, paying for a night when chances arrive is the only realistic option for her, just like it was her mother's. She could also accept Scariot's invitation into her future hypothetical unit... assuming such a thing comes to be at all.

Amidst the crowd, Dailah spots a long pointy hat, likely adorned by a tall woman. It was coming right towards them. The red-haired, sharp-eyed woman soon came into view.

"Dailah, thanks for keeping my troublesome daughter company."

"No, it wasn't a problem at all. Logos might appreciate having someone close his age around too."

"That's good to hear... in truth, that girl was supposed to accompany me into buying certain items. She sneaked out when i wasn't paying attention."

The mother let out a sigh.

"It's a special occasion, so i decided to let her have a bit of fun... but i was worried she'd just end up hanging around alone in some place. She's very bad at making friends after all."

"Ha ha..."

Daniela lined up with Dailah and watched the two teens as they played with a strange puzzle toy they bought, a box where they had to uncover a way to open it.

"I'm surprised Mariane let you watch over him. She's rather overprotective of that boy." - She looked at Dailah with a meaningful expression. - "Though i suppose he isn't the only one."

This again... people around her always assume there's some weird protegee relationship between her and Mariane. It's true that Dailah knew and got along with her from an early age, she saw her as an aunt of sorts. But that is really all there is to it, or so she thought.

Daniela observed as Adelaide failed to open the toy box after bragging that she figured out the solution. Still with her eyes on the two, she asked.

"Do you remember your first encounter with her, Dailah?"

The first time the two met... that should've been during the testing for potential witches the city did regularly. It was Mariane who came then.

"I was a bit of a quiet and outcast kid back then. Maybe we connected because of it?"

Now it was Logos's turn to try opening the box. Adelaide looked quite frustrated at her failure, no one wanted to look like a loudmouth in front of a boy they were courting.

"You certainly aren't the most outspoken person, but looking at you now i can't imagine you as an outcast."

The two kept watching over the kids for a few more moments, in silence.

"...we pretty much confirmed foul play with the Rat Lord case."

That much isn't surprising.

"Also, by analyzing the magic signatures... it's highly probable the mana infused into the bear from your kidnapping case had the same origin as this one's."

"..."

It was just as Mariane implied. This isn't over yet.

*clack*

"Ah, i did it."

Logos was able to solve to puzzle at last. With the ways things went, Adelaide should've been feeling down now for looking uncool in front of the one she was infatuated with, but...

"That's great Mr. Logos! Can you show me how you did?"

...she was instead taking the chance to cling to him, using the box as an excuse for closer contact. What a fearsomely shrewd girl.

Unfortunately, it seems the girl was letting her hormones take over her reasoning. The contact grew to be a bit too much, she was basically gluing her body to the boy and even pushing her face close to his. Logos was clearly getting uncomfortable with the contact.

Letting out a sigh, Dailah thought it was about time she intervened, but... it seemed someone acted faster than her. Daniela was already heading towards the two.

Adelaide noticed the woman approaching, her face growing pale. Apparently, she had been oblivious to the woman's presence until now, too distracted with the boy.

"M-Mother. I-i apologize for leaving you behind... i ended up getting lost, but then-"

 

*SLAP*

 

A sound echoed around the place, so loud that many people close by turned their heads to look at the commotion.

Adelaide's head was turned to one side, her left cheek swollen red. Dailah had her mouth open in disbelief, even Logos seemed surprised by the sudden turn of events.

Adelaide herself also had a shocked expression on her face.

"Apologize."

"H-huh?"

The girl had a question mark written all over her visage as she looked back at her mother in doubt.

Not waiting even a moment more, Daniela grabbed her daughter harshly by the arm and turned her body towards Logos. Then she spoke in an even firmer voice.

"Didn't you hear me? Apologize. No matter how interested you are in him, what you did is NOT a way to treat a boy. You understand!?"

"A-ah..."

Logos opened his mouth to say something but seemed unsure of what to do.

"I-i... i'm sorry... i'm sorry..."

She slightly bowed her head, tears slowly swelling up in her eyes.

"That's enough. I'm sorry for this stupid girl's behavior Mr. Logos, i'll make sure to give her a sermon later."

"N-no, i didn't... really mind."

Daniela turned to Dailah this time, she even jumped a bit in fright when she did.

"I'd appreciate if you didn't mention this to Mariane, Dailah. She's still just a kid, after all, no need to face the fury of a boy's guardian yet."

Dailah quickly nodded her head. Logos didn't seem to care either.

After giving a brief farewell, the woman walked away from the place, pulling her crying daughter by the arm as others looked over with curiosity.

Some lost interest soon enough, while others threw a small laugh their way. Not a laugh derision, but one of sympathy.

As if the scene brought up fond memories within them.

0