Chapter 13 – Beasts from the Capital
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wolf pelt around his shoulders kept Calder warm as he marched through the flooded dirt trails toward the barracks. Morning was still arriving, with the light of day only now starting to warm the ground and put the cold night to rest. He tried his best to move with haste, while not splashing any mud up onto his clothes, nor the dolled-up wizard he was carrying in his arms.

I can’t believe he’s really letting me do this, Calder thought.

When he had proposed the idea to Laz, he thought he would be met with a scoff at best, and a whack on the head at worst. It was the fastest way to get them both to the barracks, and the carriages awaiting them, without getting Laz’s gown muddied. Still, there were other options. They could have carefully made their way to the edge of the road and waited for the cavalcade to pass them, then hitch a ride from there. Or they could have sent Calder up ahead to delay them long enough for Laz to make it there. It all left Calder wondering if Laz simply hadn’t thought of any alternatives, or if he truly didn’t mind their situation.

With one arm supporting Laz’s shoulders and one wrapped under the crook of his knees, Calder was careful to not appear too smug. Despite agreeing to the arrangement, Laz still made it seem like he was unhappy. Covering his face anytime they passed a house, a permanent scowl on his face since leaving his doorstep, even some rude muttering under his breath to keep reminding Calder that he was smiling too wide for how dreary a day it was.

“Just a bit longer,” Calder said as the familiar bend of the road came into view. “Sure you don’t want the fur? You’re wearing… a lot less than me.”

Laz peeked his head out from the cover of his hands to shake his head. “I’m fine. Besides, you generate enough heat yourself. I thought lifting me wouldn’t put such a strain on you, but maybe you’re not as strong as I thought.”

“I’m not struggling to lift you, I’m struggling to keep your pretty little dress from getting mud on it. That was the whole point, wasn’t it?”

“Right, sure.” Laz stretched his arms with a yawn, testing Calder’s balance. “Whatever you say, big guy.”

I know he’s only teasing, but…

Calder stopped in his tracks, and Laz looked up with a kittenish grin that he tried to hide with feigned concern. In one fluid motion, the knight hoisted his arms. Laz was now up above his head before he had a moment to think.

“Hey, hey!” Laz flailed his arms about, though Calder knew his hold was secure. “This isn’t– Oh you think you’re so hilarious, don’t you!” He alternated between hiding his face – though nobody was around as far as Calder could tell – and cursing. After every usual insult had been exhausted, he gave up. “Fine, you’re plenty strong. Sorry for doubting you.”

 That was good enough for Calder. He lowered his arms and brought Laz back to his chest. He wouldn’t admit it, but his arms would have given out if he kept him up there much longer, anyway. Laz went back to covering his face while Calder hiked onward.

Every step closer to the barracks felt special to Calder. He was on his way to a night of excitement. A night of drinking, dancing, mingling with old knights he hadn’t seen since training. Of course, there was still a day's carriage ride to get through, but he could handle some waiting around. It was practically all he did for work.

And what felt even more special was that he got to share the night with Laz. His embarrassment from earlier had all but worn off, and he couldn’t wait to dance with him again, to hold him again.

I suppose I’m holding him right now, he thought as he looked at the dainty young man doing all he could to not be seen by townsfolk. Some homes were beginning to come to life, if not awoken by morning duties then surely by the signaling trumpet when the carriages arrived. Though nobody had seemed to notice or care about the knight walking through town with his date in his arms. Though the way I’m holding him now is less romantic and more of a necessity. A chore, really… with perks.

A biting wind cut through them, and while Laz did his best to pretend he was immune to the cold, Calder felt a shiver go through him. When it did, Laz tucked his arms into his sides and leaned into Calder’s shoulder. A noticeable blush warmed Calder’s face, adding to his already red cheeks that had appeared the moment they stepped out into the late-autumn air.

It was almost a shame when they reached the bend. Calder knew the barracks were about to be in sight, and could already hear some ruckus coming from its direction.

“Would you like to walk the rest of the way?” Calder asked. “We’re almost there, and I’m guessing you don’t want everyone to see me carrying you like this.”

Laz twisted his mouth as he looked ahead. “I do hate all of your colleagues.” He sighed and craned his neck back to the man ferrying him through the mud. “But it looks especially muddy for this final stretch. And you’ve already come so far… I may as well let you finish your job.”

I knew he was just as into this as I was. Hopefully everyone is still inside… If Notch sees us I know he won’t keep his mouth shut.

Calder continued on, prepared for whatever remarks awaited them at the barracks. The long building soon entered his sight. Up on a hill that overlooked most of town, it was the closest thing Calder had to his own home. As he trudged uphill, he noticed Laz flinch when voices echoed down toward them. It was clear people were outside. Many people.

A new sight appeared over the horizon. Five royal carriages were lined up in front of the barracks, each one with a pair of large horses to pull them. The horses were much taller than any of the ones in Evermine, and Calder recognized them right away.

Henger mares. I almost forgot how massive they were.

The animals were bred in the capital for use by the king and nobles. They were meant to be fast, resilient, and flashy. A perfect warhorse, a perfect workhorse, a perfect riding horse, and yet only a select few were allowed to use them. Calder felt Laz tense up in his arms at their sight.

“What on earth are those things?” The small town wizard asked.

“They’re hengers,” Calder said. “And they’re how we’re going to get to the capital before midnight.”

I wonder why that nobleman earlier in the season didn’t use one of these. Though I suppose if he wanted to keep a low profile, he’d need to avoid such a high status animal. I can’t believe they’re sending so many out to Evermine for us. I should have guessed when Faramond suggested it would only take one day’s trip to get there.

“Surely those beasts aren’t from Kradall.” Laz kept his voice low as they neared the top of the trail. “They must be an import from somewhere. Some faraway kingdom where massive animals roam wild.”

Calder chuckled. “No, they’re from here. One of the noble families is responsible for breeding them, I think. I always forget you’ve never left Evermine. You might be in for a shock when you see how big the capital does things.”

“Well, I’ve seen illustrations of the capital,” Laz said with a scoff. “I know the castle is larger than life, everyone says it. I just didn’t know about those things. I swear, they look more dangerous than Iri–” He cut himself off as he realized what he was about to say out loud.

“Hey!” A new, jolly voice shouted. It was Rill, Calder’s roommate. “He’s finally here!”

A wave of cheers came from the carriages. Calder stood at the front of the line of vehicles and realized many of them were already occupied. Rill was leaning against the barracks, drinking from a tankard, the obvious cause of his glee. Next to him was Faramond, who walked toward them with a look of relief.

I guess we were later than we realized.

“I was starting to think you wouldn’t show,” his captain said. He glanced at Laz then back up at Calder and laughed. “Ah, I see. You should have had your date stay in one of the spare rooms and get ready here. That’s what everyone else did.” He gestured to the filled wagons behind him.

Calder was thankful that the windows weren’t facing him and Laz, though he saw some of the frames jostling and expected to see heads poking out any second.

If only I could tell him we had to deal with keeping our dragon fed whilst we’re gone.

“Sorry.” Calder flashed a sheepish grin. “We won’t make you wait any further.”

Faramond nodded and waved them down to the end of the line. “The last carriage has room for two more. Get settled in. And I hope you’ve relieved yourselves recently, we only have one stop planned before the capital.”

“Right, thanks for your patience captain.” Calder nodded and walked down the line while Faramond yelled at Rill to put his tankard back in the kitchen before leaving.

Passing by the carriages and hengers made Calder feel small for the first time since arriving at Evermine. The body of the wagons raised up high, even higher than the impossible horses, with large white wheels fit for long distance and shaky travel. The royal crest on the side, the founder of Kradall slaying a great dragon, made Calder squeamish. He looked to Laz to see if he had noticed, but all he saw was his hands hiding his face again.

“See! I knew it!” An annoying, nasally voice called out of the third wagon. “Told you Calder was shacking up with the wizard!”

Calder turned to see Notch leaning out of the carriage window above him. It was the first time he had ever looked up at the pesky knight. At the same time, he felt Laz lean away from his chest and raise up his hands.

“Ignore him, he’s–” Calder stopped talking when he saw Laz place two fingers on his new emerald.

Laz was scowling as Notch laughed from his perch. Then, suddenly, he smiled. He swung an arm around Calder’s neck to support himself as he straightened his back. “Dumbass,” he whispered so only Calder could hear.

“Would you close the window?” A lighter voice called. It was a woman’s though Calder didn’t recognize it. He presumed it to be Notch’s date. “It’s already freezing and the draft is making it worse!”

Notch rolled his eyes. “Fine, fine.” He began to shiver as well while he retreated back into his carriage and shut the window.

Calder saw a smirk on Laz’s face and realized what had happened. “Did you make it colder in there? With your climate thingy?”

“How’s that for a first test with this focus?” Laz flashed the bracelet to Calder. “Hopefully it sticks with the wagon and we don’t end up traveling straight through it.”

“That’s something you can do?”

Laz hesitated. “It’s something I’ve been trying to do. I mean, the spell normally attaches to the earth itself, which is always spinning, so I’ve theorized ways to attach Climate Control to other objects. I think if they’re large enough then it could–” He frowned when he locked eyes with Calder. “You seem lost.”

Calder tilted his head. “What do you mean the earth spins?

“I can’t be bothered with this right now,” Laz said with a pout. “Just keep walking.”

Wizards know so much about the world. I wonder why the king doesn’t put any effort into training more of them.

At last, Calder reached the fifth and final carriage. The coachman was bundled up in thick furs, from boot to hat. He gave Calder a nod as he hopped down and opened the door.

“Here you are,” the man said. He reached inside and pulled out a hinged set of wooden stairs that ended an inch above the mud. “Watch your step.”

“Thank you very much.” Calder stood at the base, wondering how to get up without dropping his date, when Laz tapped him on the shoulder.

“I can take it from here.” He wiggled down and out of his grip until he landed on the bottom step. After catching his balance, he walked up and into the carriage, holding the back side of his gown close to him.

Calder followed and stepped into the massive cabin. There were two cushioned benches with their backs to the walls, wide enough to fit three people comfortably and four if necessary. The floor and walls were stained dark, just like the exterior. On the forward facing bench, Mohs waved to Calder as he entered. She was in her armor, same as him, though her usual sloppy braids were replaced with one neat one that rested on her shoulder.

Next to her was Strawberry – though everyone called her Strawb – who was Mohs’ best friend and the tailor’s apprentice. Strawb had a dazzling pink dress on, the bottom flaring out with large puffs of white underneath. Her hair was tied up in an elegant braided bun, with thin gold ribbons weaved throughout.

Guess Mohs couldn’t find a date. Or Strawb begged her to let her see the capital.

“Come on, sit down,” Laz said. He grabbed Calder’s arm and pulled him down onto the opposite bench facing the two ladies. “We already kept everyone waiting long enough.”

Outside, the coachman folded the stairs back into the cabin where they collapsed into the underside of the wall, and closed the door.

“Sorry for the holdup,” Calder said.

Mohs waved her hand at the apology. “They made it seem like a bigger deal than it was. We just got seated a few seconds before Rill called out that he saw you. Everyone is just excited to see the capital again.” She looked over at Strawb and Laz. “Or for the first time.”

To Calder’s left, Laz had slid down the bench and was peering out the window, his eyelids drooping. Strawb, who was right across from him, was looking Laz up and down with a smile on her face.

“I always loved that gown.” Strawb played with a ring of beads around her neck while she talked. “When I saw Laurel working on it a few years ago, it’s what made me want to learn her craft. I never thought I’d actually see it worn, though.”

Laz looked like he was struggling to speak. He folded his arms over his stomach and sank into his seat. “Thank you,” he managed to mutter.

Calder, not wanting a big awkward silence to start their trip, began to unhook the fur from his shoulders. He leaned over and wrapped it around Laz. “Here, I know you don’t need it but it’s scratching at the back of my neck. I’d appreciate you taking it off my hands for a little while.” He debated mentioning that he had noticed Laz shivering earlier, but knew it would make him defensive.

“Fine,” Laz said, his energy running low. “Hopefully it doesn’t wrinkle my gown.”

A loud brass call cut through the air. The same trumpeting that had played when they arrived in town now signaled their coming departure. Behind Calder and Laz, the cracking of whips was followed by the clopping of dense hooves and fat wheels plowing through the mud. After a minute, their own carriage followed the same pattern, and they were off.

The stretch to leave Evermine was short compared to what lay ahead. Strawb and Laz were glued to the left side window, excited at the thought of leaving Evermine and seeing more of Kradall. Calder tried to spark up conversation but was shushed as they passed the gates and were on open road. Only then, when the realization of how far they had to travel set in, and how repetitive fields of dirt and grass could be, did they look away.

“I didn’t know how barren it was outside of Evermine.” Laz rubbed his eyes and frowned. “Is all of Kradall a big mud pit?”

Mohs spoke up before Calder had the chance. “More of it than you’d think, but no. The further south we go, the more forests and grasslands you’ll see. And the capital, wow, the waterfall is the most spectacular view you’ll ever witness. Makes you wonder if those old churches knew what they were talking about.”

“I can’t wait!” Strawb squealed in excitement, clutching on to Mohs’ arm in the process.

Laz glanced at Calder, who was sitting at an angle that let him face all three of his companions.

“Do you think they stuck the four of us in a cabin together because we’re…” Laz shrugged. “You know?”

Mohs slid away from Strawb and laughed. “You’re mistaken, the two of us are friends. I’m taking her as my ‘date’ because she wanted to see the capital firsthand. We’re not like…” She pointed to Laz and Calder and shrugged as well. “You know.”

Strawb nodded, though she was back to looking out the window. “Yeah, I wanted to see what’s fashionable in the capital. For research.” She held her hands in her lap, squeezing the left one hard with her right.

I shouldn’t read too much into that. I have enough on my plate.

“Oh, sorry then.” Laz blushed and slouched toward Calder. “How come you’ve been so quiet? You usually never stop talking.”

Calder opened his mouth, and was once again interrupted before he could get a word in.

“You’re kidding, right?” Mohs leaned in as if being closer to Laz would cut Calder off from the conversation. “Most days I hear him say ten words, tops. Only when we’re out drinking does he ever actually talk.”

Laz’s grin grew across his face. “Really huh?” He looked at Calder. “How interesting.”

“And when Faramond is around. That’s the other exception.” Mohs poked at Calder’s shoulder, having to reach forward a good bit to account for the roomy cabin. “If the captain’s in the room it’s all ‘Yes, sir. Good idea, sir. How can I help, sir?’” Her mocking voice was deep and dopey.

Calder chuckled. “He’s the captain, what else would I do? Some of us take our job seriously.”

“Yeah, yeah, you’re a model knight.” Mohs looked unamused. “I know you have a rebellious side in you deep down. I bet you break a rule every now and then.”

Laz laughed for a split second before stopping himself.

Only then did Calder get nervous as he thought about Irida. How could he pretend to be an exemplary knight when he was breaking one of the harshest laws in the kingdom?

“Maybe I end my shift a few minutes early, now and again.” Calder did his best to seem guilty, even though it was a lie made to diffuse the situation.

“I knew it!” Mohs pumped her fist in the air. “And to think you’ve sat there while Faramond chews me out for the same thing.”

Hopefully that’s the last of the questions.

Before Mohs could prod further, the cabin was filled with a large yawn from Laz. He spread his arms outward again, letting the wolf pelt fall off of him.

“Didn’t sleep well?” Strawb asked. She no longer looked dejected.

Laz nodded and picked up the pelt and flung it over Calder’s shoulder. “Up late doing some spell practice. Hoping to have some new tools to help in town soon.”

“Really? Oh, that’s great news!” Strawb stared on in wonder. “Anything you can tell us about?”

“Well, there’s a few I’m considering.” His speech was sluggish and without enthusiasm, though Calder knew Laz never shied from talking about magic. “One would be for bigger injuries, like a broken bone or something.” Each word came out softer than the last, and Laz began to lean heavily toward Calder. “And… another would be like a torch, only with a glass orb that can last through the night at twice the brightness and no fuel needed. Though the glass would shatter when it wears off, which I have to figure out.” When his head landed on Calder’s fur-adorned shoulder, he didn’t react. “And then… there’s one that could cure nightmares and… but I don’t know if that’s worth… um…” He never finished his sentence, as the next noise to come from him was a soft snoring.

Calder wasn’t sure how to react. He thought the situation was adorable already, without the fact that Laz was now snoozing on his shoulder. The biggest smile he had in weeks was now stuck on his face, and he didn’t care what the two others in the carriage might say.

Guess the early morning caught up with him.

“That’s cute,” Strawb said quietly. “He must feel really safe with you to do that.”

“Sorry he couldn’t finish answering your question.” Calder was afraid to move as he spoke. “You’ll have to remind him when he wakes up.”

Strawb nodded and glanced at Mohs, who was looking inquisitively out the other window.

“It hasn’t been very long for you, has it.” Mohs said as a matter of fact. “Since you left the capital.”

Calder shook his head. “Not even a year. You?”

“Only a couple. I’m a little worried I’ll get sucked in by how magnificent everything there is, just when I’d gotten used to the simplicity of Evermine. This ball isn’t some annual thing. I might not visit again in my life.” Mohs frowned, ignoring that Strawb had inched closer. “Wonder what the occasion is. Faramond tell you anything?”

“No, just that it’s important and he didn’t want me to miss it.”

The conversation didn’t continue. Mohs nodded and slumped into the wall, and before long she was singing the same song as Laz. Strawb seemed disappointed, and played with her beaded necklace again.

What is the purpose of this ball? There’s nothing to celebrate.

Calder had no leads and, with the sun high in the sky, tried to join the others in sleep.

1