Chapter 14 – The Capital
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A light poke in Laz’s shoulder finally woke him up. For a moment he panicked, unsure of where his dreams had ended and reality was beginning. He was thankful for the pillow he was resting his head on to provide him comfort.

Wait, we’re in the carriage. That’s right, I must have fallen asleep on the ride to the capital.

Misty visions of his mentor, a burning world, and an unexpected savior dissipated in his mind. He had been having the same recurring dream for months, with little variations each time.

Did Calder save me? That dream… I’ve never woken up from it and felt so peaceful.

As he continued to awaken, the inside of their carriage materialized before him. Mohs and Strawberry were still across from him on the bench, both sleeping against the opposing walls. They were draped in the blue and gray hues of night, and Laz could barely make out their features.

How long was I asleep? Maybe it isn’t night. Are we passing through a cave?

The hoof clops and steady wheels ended that line of thought, evidencing the obvious cobblestone road they were passing over.

Outside the carriage was the deceptively similar bustling of Evermine’s market. Though comparing the two was unfair. Evermine’s busiest days were never a fraction as loud, and only ever in the morning. The thought that a city could be so loud at such a dark hour excited Laz. Merchants still calling out their wares, children running about and causing mischief. He had to see it for himself.

Laz lifted his head off of his pillow only to realize he was mistaken. In his half-awake daze, he hadn’t noticed that he was leaning against Calder’s shoulder. Calder, who was looking right at Laz with a grin on his face.

“I know we had an early morning, but I can’t believe you slept that long.” Calder spoke softly, though Strawb and Mohs were already beginning to stir. The sounds of the capital couldn’t be ignored.

“Are we really already here?” Laz didn’t want to draw attention to the fact he had slept against Calder for who knows how long. “I must have missed so many amazing sights along the way…”

Calder shrugged. “You can see them on the way home. Unless you plan on sleeping through it again.”

“I only slept on your shoulder because I was delirious!” Laz folded the wolf pelt that had cushioned his head from Calder’s armor and set it in the knight’s lap. The air of the capital somehow felt like spring instead of late autumn. “Sleep deprivation is what it was. I lost my balance and it was the flip of a coin which way I fell, really. You got lucky.”

“What about after the caravan break?” Calder asked.

“Excuse me?” Laz swallowed. Across from them, the other pair was waking up to be entertained by their conversation. “What break? What do you mean?”

“All the carriages stopped in the afternoon. The three of us got out to stretch our legs, take a piss, what have you, and you slept here through it all.” Calder gestured to Mohs who nodded in agreement. “I set you against the wall when we left and when we came back a few minutes later you sleepily crawled back to lean against me. Were you not awake for that?”

Laz was baffled. A quick look at everyone’s faces told him it was the truth. I… I… Probably just–

“It was really cute,” Strawb said with a pearly smile.

“Well, the wooden walls.” Laz still tried to find some excuse. “They’re not very comfortable to sleep against. It was what had to be done to get some decent rest.”

“Ah, true,” Strawb said with sincerity. “The wood was a bother. I was jealous, frankly, that you have someone you feel so close with…”

Mohs spoke up next. “I was impressed that a tiny thing like you could be such a heavy sleeper.”

Laz heard their words, but didn’t grant them any acknowledgement. What don’t I understand about my duties? I can’t give in to distractions. Not yet. Calder is… a nice guy who I may have misjudged. He’s a confidant for the Irida situation. A friend at best, nothing more.

While the shunned butterflies in his stomach settled, Laz took the chance to look outside. He already missed the entrance to the city and didn’t want to lose out on anything more. As soon as he did, the carriages halted. He hadn’t noticed it, but the sounds from the city had shifted, from merry townsfolk and pushy merchants to clanging metal and stern shouts.

He could see the edge of a beautiful stone bridge, with ornate sconces every few feet to light the way. It was a higher level of craftsmanship than Laz had ever seen. Waves and spirals engraved into every inch of the railing, bronze wolves that encased the firelight. With bated breath, he sat back and straightened his gown in anticipation of seeing the castle in its entirety.

If just the bridge is getting me excited… I better not pass out. Calder doesn’t need another reason to carry me today.

The royal trumpets sounded for the third time Laz had heard that day.

“We’re actually here,” Strawb said, gripping her elbows. “It’s unbelievable, really.”

“I feel the same way,” Mohs started. “This is only my second time going inside the castle itself. We get knighted here in a ceremony, but they train us at an academy elsewhere in the city. I really never expected to be back here.”

Calder nodded. “Let’s make tonight memorable, shall we? Who knows if it’ll be our last time in a place so luxurious.”

The carriage door swung open, and the coachman lowered the steps. Laz could see Faramond, Calder’s idol, scrambling around to assemble everyone. The four stepped out, Mohs and Calder first, then Strawb and Laz, each helped down the stairs by their date.

“Can’t believe we got you here without a speck of dirt on you,” Calder said.

Laz did all he could to not blush.

“Alright, line up!” Faramond barked his orders with a ferocity Laz hadn’t heard before.

After finally stepping onto solid ground, though he supposed it was technically a bridge, Laz gasped. In front of him was Castle Abol. Home to the king and the nobles. Where every major decision in Kradall originates. It was said to be the largest building in the world, beating out anything that Pamantia or Sil-Chir had ever engineered.

Of course, the castle had an advantage. It was created by the earth itself. A lone mountain in the center of the kingdom, carved into, molded from within to create the entire capital. Laz never understood from the drawings how it could be done, and looking at it in person gave him no further answers.

The entire top third of the mountain was the castle. The shape of it was still blatant, with a solid peak at the top that had remained intact for however many thousands of years the castle had stood. The roofs of the lower wings slanted, all perfectly lined up with those above and below them.

It really was all one piece of material. Wooden amendments to create doors or window shutters existed, but the structure itself was all connected. One giant hunk of dark gray rock, though the intricacies of it elevated it to something thousands of times greater.

I never thought a building could be… beautiful. The illustrations do it no justice.

Laz looked down at his feet, and trailed his eyes forward and upward. They crossed dozens of windows, thousands of feet, until they rested at the peak of the mountain.

Even the very bridge we’re standing on! It’s all the same! Wizards must have helped build this, right? Master Edre always said that wizards were stronger long ago, maybe this is what we were capable of.

The realization of what they were standing on hit him, and he turned around. Behind him was all of Kradall. Or, at least half of it. He wasn’t sure which direction he faced but hoped it was north or east so he could pretend he was looking toward home. They were over halfway up a mountain, with the capital city below him, Evermine below him, everything below him.

Down the mountain were hundreds if not thousands of torchlights, some big and unmoving, some small and flitting between buildings and over the winding path they had rode up on. The lights were all too small to make out real detail, though Laz could see the city spread all around the mountain, with some even spreading down to the bottom and flat land. Vast rows of buildings, all taller than any of the houses Laz had seen. They made the barracks back home look dingy and outdated. Laz wasn’t sure if he should be more amazed by the feat of building them on the side of a mountain or that there were enough people living there to fill them.

There’s maybe more people here now than have lived in the entire history of Evermine. No wonder the kingdom never pays us any attention. We barely exist.

“I said line up!” Faramond yelled. “We’re the last city to arrive, we’re late!”

He’s trying to look good in front of his superiors. Knights are such an interesting bunch.

Laz felt a tap on his shoulder. “Come on, let’s get inside.” Calder ushered him forward.

He and Mohs directed their dates to where the other knights were queued. On the left, near the edge of the bridge, those with armor stood with an eerie stillness, which Calder and Mohs joined. On their right, Laz and Strawb joined the other line for the unknighted. Two of the women ahead, who Laz recognized from Evermine but wasn’t sure where, were glaring at him and shivering.

Oh right, the Climate Control on their carriage. It must have traveled with them, good to know.

“Alright, keep your order and let’s join the rest of the kingdom!” Faramond held up a fist and spun around to begin marching across the bridge.

Straight away, Laz began whispering to Calder. “Is your boss having a bad day?” Being at the back of the line meant he wasn’t too worried about Faramond overhearing.

Calder shook his head. “The capital is a lot more serious about rules. He’s just playing his part so we don’t get in trouble, be grateful.”

“Oh, fine.” Laz rolled his eyes.

The two even lines continued over the bridge. Near the edges, other knights stood with glaives in hand. Their armor was newer than what Laz was used to seeing around Evermine. Less leather and more steel, a bigger crest on the cuirass. The helmet hid more of the face than usual too, with only a slit to see their eyes.

Thank god the knights back home don’t have to wear that. I would have hated Calder even more when we first met if I couldn’t see him. Though maybe it would have hid that dumb cocky grin…

Ahead, Laz heard one of the knights, the annoying one with the big ears who he swore he would never bother to learn the name of, muttering to his date and pointing up at the castle.

Curious, Laz’s eyes followed. Every inch closer they got, more detail could be made out on the massive building, which only appeared larger as they closed the gap. Some of the same engravings on the bridge were running along the side of the castle, only much larger to be observable from the ground. The wooden shutters were a dark, rich wood, from a tree Laz was sure he had only read about. One new detail he noticed was tapestries. Originally thinking they were more shutters, crimson tapestries were hung out of at least ten windows. And the door they were approaching had the biggest one hung above it.

Wait.

Laz nearly stopped walking when he noticed.

Against the red silk were golden threads that showed a brave king slicing through the necks of two dragons at once. The dragons resembled Irida strongly, though their necks were longer and eyes angrier. Laz also presumed they were fully grown, over twice the size of the king and with big antler-like appendages on their heads. The tapestries were depicting The Great Hunt. The hundred or so years when the Abol Dynasty came into power. The era where killing dragons became not just a sport but a public duty.

I wonder how much of that is accurate. If Irida gets that big, what will we do?

Laz looked to Calder, wondering if he had noticed them. His date stared ahead, somber yet focused.

Oh, right. He’s seen these his whole life. He grew up here, surrounded by the history of dragon extinction. Or, assumed extinction.

“Is it weird being back in the capital?” Laz asked. He saw a couple ahead locking arms and forced himself to not picture doing the same with Calder.

“Not really, no.” Calder kept his eyes forward, while his pace perfectly matched Mohs in front of him. “Little surprised to be back so soon, but I haven’t missed it.”

“Really?” Laz held his hair against his head as a gust of wind blew past. The base of his gown was less affected thanks to the high railings of the bridge. “You don’t miss being able to walk without trudging through mud? Or getting to look at these marvels of architecture everyday? Where’s that waterfall Mohs mentioned, do you think we’ll get the chance to see it?”

The entrance to the castle grew larger by the second. Less than a hundred feet away now, Laz noticed that the stone part of the bridge ended, and to reach the ball they would have to pass over a dark wooden drawbridge. Royal guards were stationed at the edges, just like the stone bridge, but Laz still felt uneasy at the idea.

“The waterfall is on the other side of the mountain unfortunately.” Calder spoke quieter the closer they got to the castle, as if afraid of the building itself overhearing him. “But yes, the mud in Evermine can get a tad bothersome. The food could use some variety. And sure, the houses can be depressing.”

“So perhaps you are homesick.”

“No. Despite all of that, I enjoy where I’m stationed. My new home. The people are honest and warm. The plants and animals that surround it remind me of what it means to be alive. Falling asleep to the serenade of the frogs, waking up to a dozen different birds singing in the trees, bushes, and skies. You’ll get nothing even half as divine here.” When he finished speaking, Calder grinned. Perhaps he realized that a funereal shadow had begun to overtake his face. “And you’re there, of course.”

Laz couldn’t help but smile in return, before cursing his weakness to compliments. He’s going to try and pull something tonight. Woo me in any way he can so that when we get back home I’ll be open to more of this. I have to be on alert so I don’t get distracted. Find other wizards, find out where Edre is. That’s the plan.

They at last reached the drawbridge, and while the knights walked across with no hesitation, there was a trend with the dates in the right line slowing down. The wood didn’t creak or wobble in the slightest. The chains that held it in place looked brand new. And still, when Laz finally stepped foot on it, he felt his balance waver.

Immediately Calder’s hand was on his waist, stabilizing him. “It’s alright, it isn’t moving. Keep looking ahead. Look at Strawberry’s dress, all the little folds and tufts. Look at Notch trying to talk to his date while she ignores him.” His whispers were calm, steady, without concern.

As curious as he was to see how far down the fall was, Laz followed Calder’s words. He watched the group ahead as they entered Castle Abol.

“Thank you,” Laz whispered back through his clenched jaw.

The inside of the castle was well-lit. Laz couldn’t make out the source of light, but it was enough to make it look like daytime inside of the entryway. He watched as those in front of him were directed to the left and out of his sight.

Wizard. Find another wizard, hopefully many, and finally get to the bottom of where that bastard went. Laz repeated his goals to himself as he fought to ignore Calder’s hand on him, even if it wasn’t as romantic as their dance in the candlelight that morning. Maybe if he comes back and tells me what I’m supposed to do with a dragon, and resumes his duties, then Calder and I could… Maybe.

Laz and Calder took their last step from the drawbridge onto the safe, secure stone of the castle gate. The other Evermine residents had gained distance on them, and only Mohs and Strawb could be seen, though even they were turning the corner. The royal guards in the entryway were impatiently waving them to the left along with everyone else.

“Sorry, we fell out of line.” Laz brushed his gown off and resisted looking back at the sheer drop he was so curious about yet deathly afraid of.

“So long as we catch up before Faramond notices.” Calder’s gait hastened across the stone floor, his boots clanking the same tune as when he rushed up the walkway to Laz’s house.

Laz nodded and followed. The entry room was a large circle, with three evenly placed doors – four if counting the large drawbridge – that led to various parts of the castle. The middle and right were shut tight, with two guards in front of each. To the left was the only open door, as well as the entry to a long hall that Laz couldn’t see the end of, and just as bright as the entry room.

The steady lighting intrigued Laz. Only the sun and moon had ever been that consistent. Even the best lanterns he had seen flickered now and again. He looked up to the high ceilings and squinted at the confusing view. High up, hanging on golden chains, were small balls of light. Not fire, but light itself, just like the sun.

Is that magic?

Another second of squinting tighter revealed an orb of what appeared to be glass in the center. It baffled the wizard.

A spell being held by glass? How is it not shattering? How is there no caster around to keep it going?

Suddenly a hand grabbed Laz’s wrist.

“Do you want me to carry you again that badly?” Calder asked, tugging Laz along through the door and down the hall. “I know it’s all new to you, but you can look at the lights when we’re at the ballroom.”

“Sorry again!” Laz said. “The magic here is so strange.”

Laz did his best to take in the stained glass windows of the hall as Calder pulled him through like a parent pulls a stubborn child. Each window was different, showing either a queen or king along with their legacy. There was little time to discern details, but Laz did his best to absorb the history of the Abol dynasty. One displayed a young woman surrounded by horses, to which Laz’s best guess was the royal who had been responsible for those beasts that carried their carriages that day. Another was an elderly man holding a golden apple, perhaps the ruler during Kradall’s Gilded Age hundreds of years ago.

Each of them was made to be beautiful, or handsome, or awe inspiring, yet Laz felt sickened by them all. A dishonest look was in all of their eyes. Laz couldn’t imagine someone with as much absolute power as them being the generous people they were depicted.

Master Edre always said the king and his nobles were the problem with Kradall, and that the knights are nothing more than their arms. What would he say if he saw me here, with Calder? Would he understand? Surely there are exceptions…

Calder and Laz caught up with Mohs and Strawb as soon as the line halted. They resumed their places next to each other as Faramond turned around, ready to bark at them some more.

“Remember, we represent Evermine.” Faramond spoke firmly. “This is a chance to show who we are and what we deserve. If all goes well, the nobles may see more potential in us. And that means more funding. So if you want better gear, better meals, then don’t make me regret selecting you.”

Laz watched as Calder listened to his captain in awe. The knight’s eyes were filled with admiration, and it disgusted Laz.

Maybe Master was right. What does Calder see in that guy, anyway? He’s a rule addict, it’s all about his precious order, whatever the king says, no room for original thought. Calder would be a better captain than him.

“Now, have an excellent night, all of you.” Faramond stepped aside and let two of the royal guards push open the tall doors to the ballroom.

1