Chapter 11: After School Date (1)
299 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eleventh Chapter: After School Date (1)

 

 

“Kris, Rebecca,” someone called us while we were idling around.

 

Rebecca slowly turned towards the source, while I was still slumping on my desk, and saw that it was Evans.

 

“What is it, Caikee?” Rebecca softly replied.

 

Evans walked towards us. “I was finding you everywhere, I thought I was gonna find you at the cafeteria.”

 

She sat on the empty seat beside us. “Where did you guys go?”

 

“We have packed lunch,” Rebecca said, rattling her lunchbox in front of Evans.

 

“Oh, that’s a shame …”

 

“We can eat together tomorrow! More importantly, are you fine now, Caikee?” Rebecca concernedly asked.

 

Evans unexpectedly grins. “Yep, don’t worry about it!”

 

“Really?”

 

“Really!”

 

“‘kay then! Just know we got your back! Though, I didn’t do anything earlier …” Rebecca uttered, suddenly disheartened.

 

Evans panicked and hurriedly comforted Rebecca. “It’s the thought that counts! And, and … I really, really, appreciate just the fact you were there! Both of you are! And I know if Cecilie weren't there, you’d stood up for me for sure!”  

 

Rebecca looked doubtful—and then made a resolute face. “That’s right! Next time, I’ll make sure to protect you!”

 

Don’t hope for the next time, girl. I rebuked inwardly as I side-eye her, feeling like she was jinxing Evans into another situation like that.

 

“T-thank you …” Evans blushingly replied.

 

Don’t go giddy on me, girl.

 

“By the way, where’s Cecilie?” Rebecca said, looking behind Evans.

 

“She was called to the office earlier.”

 

“Eh, why?”

 

“Well … I don’t know. I’ll ask her later after she comes back.”

 

“I hope it wasn’t about the thing earlier …” Rebecca said, worry visible on her face.

 

They wouldn’t know about it so quickly.

 

“I actually also thought about that, but I think it’s highly unlikely. And I mean, if ever someone reported Cecilie or that girl, I think I would also be called since, you know, I’m the ‘victim’ in that scenario.”

 

I agree with Evans. And I think no one would report something so early on, moreover, if there was someone who has connections with the professors, I feel like it would be Shvets herself.

 

“I sure hope so,” Rebecca said, more relieved this time.

 

“Yep, no need to worry about it too much,” Evans reached out to pat her shoulders.

 

Rebecca smiled in gratitude at Evans showing her dimples. Obviously, Evans is flustered again, but much less this time. I guess she was slowly getting used to it.

 

“...”

 

Rebecca stayed still as if deep in thought. She’s so uncharacteristically quiet that I’m curious what she's up to this time … 

 

That’s when she looked at me, leaning closer to whisper something.

 

“Your promise, this is the perfect time!” 

 

Ugh. 

 

It’s too soon, I haven’t recharged my social battery yet. But … looking at her gleaming eyes, I can’t bring myself to say no and leave it for another day. 

 

I gathered up my courage and called out. “Evans.” 

 

“Hm?” Evans curiously looked at me.

 

“The thing earlier, perhaps you know what Shvets whispered to that girl Kobold?”

 

“Hmmm …” Evans was deep in thought.

 

Rebecca and I focused on Evans, curious to know what she was going to say.

 

However, she looked sorry and said. “Honestly, I’m also curious. But, umm, sorry, I have no idea what. I think I’ll ask Cecilie later. And Kris …”

 

Yep, thought so. Depending on what bits and pieces I heard, Shvets knew something that supposedly she shouldn’t know. 

 

My curiosity was not satisfied, but I was not too disappointed in her answer. Rebecca seemed to share my feelings (she looks to be thinking hard about something?). I was not expecting too much anyway and she’ll ask later so that's a task done, I guess? 

 

Why does Evans look like that though?

 

Evans sulked. “Kris … we've known each other for two years already. Why you’re still acting so distant?”

 

Evans, with her natural freckles and chubby figure, seeing her sulking created quite a cute scene. 

 

Eh? Did I say something wrong?

 

She gazed at me with a frown. “Stop calling me by my surname! I feel like I’m on a recitation!”

 

Ah, so it’s just that …

 

I was used to calling them by their surnames since that was what our teacher called us. It took me a whole year just to remember both of their surnames, you know?

 

“Ah, sorry.”

 

“Don’t just be sorry. Call me by my name!” Evans demanded.

 

“Sorry, Caikee,” I repeated, this time calling her by her first name.

 

Caikee showed a satisfied expression. “That’s better! And make sure to call Cecilie by her name too!”

 

I nodded since I couldn’t be bothered to argue.

 

“Kris,” Rebecca tugged at my shirt.

 

I looked at her. She looked confused while staring into my eyes.

 

“Who’s Kobold?” 

 

Huh?

 

“Ah, oh, yeah. You did say that. Sorry, did you actually mean another person?” Caikee butted in.

 

Both of them turned their gaze at me. It was supposedly an innocent and normal stare, but I felt like it was piercing me like spears on a battlefield.

 

“...” I was speechless.

 

I struggled to regain my composure but somehow managed to do so.

 

Ahem, excuse me, I mean Gorbold.”

 

It wasn’t even that embarrassing. However, under the stare of these two, shame filled me uncontrollably. That just proves how scary peer pressure was.

 

Rebecca giggled and teased. “You looked so calm and collected normally, Kris. But, in reality, you’re a klutz, aren't you?”

 

Rebecca kept on lightly nudging my sides using her elbow with that teasing grin on her face. It would be a lie if I said it wasn’t getting on my nerves, but I decided to just ignore her.

 

“Klutz Kris, Kris Klutz. Hey, hey, answer me, Kris. Come on, come on,” Rebecca continued her teasing.

 

Caikee laughed loudly at the side, seeing me being teased around.

 

“I never thought I would ever see the day, Kris being treated like this!” she laughingly said.

 

Hey, quit laughing, and stop this little gremlin!

 

Despite her innocent and lovable appearance, she’s just too mischievous ... It’s kind of reminding me of Lia. Speaking of Lia, I hadn’t come to meet her yet … Hope she wasn’t too angry at me. I took out my phone, ignoring the gremlin beside me, and went to my message app to check on Lia. 

 

And yep, I saw that it has 10 unread messages since yesterday.

 

Lia: [Hey]

 

Lia: [Wer r u?]

 

Lia: [Wer u gon eat?]

 

Lia: [Hey y r u not reading my msg?]

 

Lia: [The hell it’s been a day alrdy]

 

Lia: [Ah is that so imma leak all your nudes]

 

Lia: [HEY ANWER MEJ DJJSJXJSJSJ]

 

Uh-oh, I’m screwed. Since I just slept for lunch yesterday I didn’t see her message. Moreover, the birthday party tired me out so I didn’t get to check my phone. And just so you know, she doesn't have any nudes of me. Always saying things like this and that … Are you really so committed to ruining my reputation, Lia?

 

Anyway, I texted her back.

 

Me: [Slr, I was busy]

 

Me: [I just ate, where are you?]

 

The message immediately turned read, I wasn’t so surprised since Lia normally replied fast.

 

Lia: [Yea]

 

What do you mean by yea?

 

I scratched my head involuntarily. She’s sulking again. It’s hard to get this girl to stop sulking, sigh.

 

Me: [I’m sorry. I was really busy.]

 

Lia: [Yea]

 

Me: [I slept yesterday at lunch. I legit didn’t see your message.]

 

Lia simply sent a like emoji. 

 

This girl …

 

I felt amused. It didn’t irritate me at all since I’m used to it.

 

Me: [And I was at Sis Marga’s birthday till midnight so I didn’t have the time to check your message.]

 

This time the writing icon stayed much longer. 

 

Is she finally gonna say something other than yea?

 

Lia: [Y go to that stupid woman shes just gonna take advantage of you idiot]

 

Lia: [Or atleast u sholdve told me so i can slap that b*tch on her face]

 

Lia and Sis Marga, of course, knew each other. They’re both my childhood friends. They always had this inexplicable rivalry towards each—actually including my brother—I don’t know why and how.

 

Me: [Big Bro came to school yesterday. He picked me up to go to Sis Marga. So I didn’t have the chance to go and tell you.]

 

Lia: [K.]

 

Lia: [Enough abt that woman wat room r u in? Ill go]

 

Me: [It’s almost time. Let’s just go home together later.]

 

Lia: [Sure]

 

I heart'ed her message and closed my phone. 

 

“Who’re you talking to?” Rebecca asked, after seeing me ignoring her and chatting with Lia.

 

“A friend.”

 

“Hmmm, I see …” Rebecca looked suspicious.

 

What’s so suspicious about it? It’s just Lia. 

 

And why does it feel like I'm a husband caught cheating on his wife? 

 

Rebecca showed a cheeky smirk. “Maybe it’s your boyfriend? Was you being single a lie? Hohoho.”

 

That’s a weird laugh … 

 

“You have a boyfriend, Kris?” Caikee said with a gossipy tone, taking her attention off her phone.

 

“I don’t. She’s a long-time friend of mine.”

 

“Reaaally?~” Caikee said obnoxiously, trying to force the ‘truth’ out of my mouth. 

 

“What’s her name?” Rebecca chimed in.

 

“Ouphelia.”

 

“Does she also study here?” Caikee added from the side.

 

“Yes.”

 

Rebecca and Caikee asked several more questions regarding Lia. They seemed to be curious about this best friend of mine, especially Rebecca. So I humored them as long as the questions weren't too personal.

 

The door opened as the professor for the next class arrived. Following after is Shve—Cecilie from behind, carrying the elderly professor’s things.

 

“Thank you, sweetie,” the grandma professor warmly said.

 

Cecilie smiled in response, bowed, and went to her seat. 

 

“Everyone return to your seats, so we can start soon.”

 

Everyone fixed themselves and Caikee returned beside Cecilie. After seeing us in our proper place, the professor began her class.

 

“Let’s start.”

 

***

 

 

After school. 

 

I was fixing my things and getting ready to go home. I took out my phone and was about to message Lia. 

 

“Kris, are you busy?” Rebecca asked.

 

I was curious why she was asking. “Not really. Why?” I said with an inquiring face.

 

“Nothing much, I was just thinking maybe … I can treat you now …? You know, I promised you last week and earlier for a favor,” Rebecca said sheepishly, avoiding her gaze while twirling her hair.

 

Ah, I did forget to look for her last week after the opening.

 

I felt bad. I have a suspicion she stayed for quite a long time waiting for me. Sorry, girl.

 

I thought about it hard and said. “Okay.”

 

Rebecca’s face lit up with a smile. “Yes! Let’s go!”

 

I chuckled inwardly, seeing her all excited and happy. 

 

***

 

 

Me and Rebecca were walking on the sidewalk. We decided to just walk to the nearest fast food since it’s not too far from the school.

 

“...”

 

The both of us didn’t talk nor utter a single word.

 

We were just quietly enjoying the afternoon breeze walking at an even pace—neither too fast nor too slow. I had to adjust my pace a little bit since I was a head taller than Rebecca. She might have trouble keeping up with my normal pace. I gently grabbed her shoulder and pushed her towards the inner side of the sidewalk. If something happens I think I can react faster than she can.

 

“Walk there. It’s dangerous,” I said evenly, keeping my line of sight straight ahead. 

 

“... Okay …” Rebecca said in a daze, staring at my face.

 

My intuition is right. Seeing her all out of focus and daydreaming, it’s much better if I’m on the side of the road.

 

We were nearing our destination as more and more people filled the sidewalk. We arrived at the heart of the district. It looked busier than ever with vendors and shops all over the place. Malls and other buildings filled our vision while we both maneuvered between crowds of people. 

 

I noticed that Rebecca struggled to keep up with her petite figure. It’s easy for her to drown in people in places like this. I decided to hold onto her bag to keep her near me and control her movement. Rebecca looked slightly surprised. I pulled and pushed her to prevent her from colliding with people.

 

 “I feel like a dog in a collar …” Rebecca whispered, embarrassed being handled like this.

 

With my sharp hearing, I heard it. “Bear with it. You might get lost.”

 

Rebecca simply puffed her cheeks and showed me a sharp glare.

 

Though, it feels more like a cat trying to intimidate her owner, just to end up being more pampered and abused (in a good way) by its owner.

 

I softly chuckled, amused by her reaction. 

 

“Ah! You just laughed!” she accusingly gestured at me.

 

Oops, I accidentally laughed out loud.

 

“No, I did not.”

 

“You’re doing this on purpose!” Rebecca frowned at me.

 

“I’m not,” I nonchalantly replied.

 

She continued to argue with me while I still held her like a dog using her bag … Not long after, she got tired of it and let me do as I please. 

 

Nearing our destination, she perked up as if her previous mood was a lie.

 

“Ah, it’s there!” she excitedly pointed at a building.

 

I turned towards it and saw the familiar brand logo of a fast food restaurant … 

 

McBogart.

 

 

Hi.

10