Chapter 16: Lab Class (2)
215 9 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sixteenth Chapter: Lab Class (2)

 

 

The bad feeling came true, after all.

 

“Let me go! Let me go! Let me go!” 

 

Ember was causing a commotion as her previous bravado was gone instantly—the moment she saw the needle near her skin. And now she is like a rabid animal that needs to be put down by the animal police.

 

“Hold her tight!” Professor Bridgett commanded, looking all sadistic, as we all held Ember down.

 

Rebecca was in charge of holding down her arm while I was trying to keep her from moving around and as for Snow … she’s taking a video. I guess that’s important too.

 

The reason why we're doing this rather than just changing people … was because Professor Bridgett refused to do so. She said that since Ember volunteered and sat down, she should own up to it. It would be a nice experience, she said. As she showed a clear look of evil satisfaction on her face. 

 

Nice, my ass. You just want to have fun. 

 

Presently, Ember is still screaming and shouting while flailing around trying to get away from all of these … While her friend seems to be having fun with her suffering … 

 

Furthermore, the numerous curious gazes from other students are really causing me immense pain mentally. Someone, help!

 

Glancing at Professor … She still has that happy grin of hers, probably having fun at this absurd situation. Normally, I would find that cute on her youthful and adorable face but now all I can think about is how evil-looking she looks right now …

 

So it’s impossible to go the easy way, huh …

 

Sighing, it’s impossible to completely hold her still. Her chaotic movement might cause an unwanted situation—so I have to make her calm first. 

 

First, I lightly tapped Rebecca’s back. And as she looked back in response, I took off her hands on Ember’s arm. She was confused and stared at me with a questioning gaze but I ignored it since she’ll know soon enough. I crouched down in front of Ember, staring at her calmly and that made her temporarily cease her tantrums. I tried to talk softly as much as possible to soothe her nerves.

 

“Close your eyes,” I said gently, in an attempt to curb her fear.

 

“... I’m sca ... scared …”

 

Sniffing, Ember answered shakily. She was in tears and was also staring at me while rubbing her tears in her eyes.

 

“Trust me—you can hold my hand if that’ll help you.”

 

Although I said that, I don’t know if it would be that effective since we’re still strangers at this point who knew each other’s name. But I still showed her my hand. Surprisingly, she took it after contemplating it for a bit, holding it tight as she shut her eyes tightly. I sighed a breath of relief at that.

 

Following that, I gazed meaningfully at Rebecca who was standing behind me with an unreadable expression on her face. After a second of blank staring, understanding what I meant, she lightly tapped Professor Bridgett on her shoulders which looked kinda how an adult placated a child due to their height difference.

 

Not knowing my thought (a good thing), Professor Bridgett understood our cue, her eyes glistened ominously as she immediately brought out her weapon in front of our eyes as if to deliberately scare Ember again. 

 

Luckily, Ember’s eyes were shut tight right now. Tough luck for you, Professor.

 

When Professor Bridgett held her arms, Ember visibly flinched so I immediately rubbed her hands in soothing circles to prevent her from throwing a tantrum again. Fortunately, that seemed to calm her down as she held me tighter than before.

 

That’s strong. I surprisingly thought; I wouldn’t expect the grip strength of a small girl like her to be that strong. And then her grip increased more as Professor Bridgett started to draw her blood into the syringe.

 

“Hnghhh …”

 

Ember let out a suppressed sound—her fear showing again but this time she had no choice but to stay still or something worse would happen.

 

After what felt like an eternity for Ember, Professor Bridgett announced briskly. “Done!”

 

Slowly opening her eyes, Ember was shocked that she thought out loud: “It’s done …?”

 

“Yep!” Professor Bridget replied cheerfully. “What, you want to go again?”

 

Ember vehemently shook her head at a speed that I feared for her head falling off.

 

“No, no, no, no, no!” Ember refused with all her heart.

 

“Anyway … that wasn’t actually so bad? Didn’t even feel a thing! Told ya I can do this!” she continued shamelessly as if her previous hysterical appearance didn’t happen.

 

Rebecca, being her usual supportive person, chirped in happily. “Congrats, Ember! You did it!”

 

Hey, hey, hey. Stop acting, nothing happened earlier.

 

“Told ya it would be a nice experience! I’m right, isn’t it?” Professor Bridgett also chimed in, having a proud look on her face.

 

“Basic things!” Ember arrogantly said. If this was a cartoon, her nose would probably elongate with her being so proud like that.

 

Tired of these three happy-go-lucky people, I stared intently at Ember after seeing no signs of her letting go of me. Noticing my intense gaze, Ember looked down and saw that she was still gripping my hands.

 

“Wa, sorry!” 

 

Ember let go immediately. She had an embarrassed face as she held her cheeks, averting her gaze.

 

I slowly stood up and said my appreciation to Professor Bridgett. “Thank you, Ma’am.”

 

Without waiting for any kind of response from the professor, I took the evaporating dish filled with Ember’s blood and walked back to our seats, leaving behind the scene quickly.

 

As I was walking back, with my sharp hearing, I heard them also thanking Professor Bridgett then two sets of footsteps resounded from the back.

 

“Kris, wait for us!” Rebecca lightly shouted as they caught up to me.

 

***

 

 

“I want to die …” 

 

Sitting down at our table, Ember covered her face in shame, remembering her actions earlier. 

 

Notwithstanding, her friend, Snow, as if to worsen her shame, showed her phone—playing a video and I could hear the sound of Ember screaming out while an evil loli professor gloated in the background.

 

“Ahhhhhhhhhhh!”

 

Ember visibly and audibly cringed at that. Her body and face contorting, disconcerted from seeing first-hand her (most likely) darkest moment in college. Snow, different from the first time I saw her, had a look of schadenfreude from Ember’s suffering. Even earlier, rather than help, she opted to record it to keep her friend's precious memory eternally … 

 

“Show off …” Snow said, slightly faster but still at a slow pace, teasing her mercilessly.

 

Argh! Give me that, you little dipsh*t!” 

 

Ember tried to snatch Snow’s phone from her hand but unexpectedly dodged agilely, securing her phone with both of her hands.

 

“Give it to me!” 

 

“Never …”

 

They were starting another ruckus as their stealing–dodging game continued for a while with Ember failing to get Snow's phone out of her hand.

 

“Guys!” Rebecca intervened, stopping their fight and getting our attention.

 

“Let’s start dividing our tasks so we can finish this quickly and go home!” 

 

Agree.

 

Glancing at each other and then facing Rebecca; Snow and Ember both returned to their natural state and nodded languidly and energetically respectively. The remaining two unknown members also showed their agreement quietly.

 

Seeing that, Rebecca spiritedly distributed tasks to every one of us and then we immediately began—motivated to finish this quickly.

 

***

 

 

“...”

 

Ten minutes in, I was sitting around and doing nothing, merely answering their questions and clarifications.

 

“Umm, h-hello? Where do I put this?”

 

“Right there.”

 

“Okay … thanks …”

 

As for why, well basically I was given the task to ‘supervise the group’ since I know what to do as said by Rebecca. 

 

What do you mean by supervise? Give me something to do! I feel useless!

 

“Ex … excuse me, how many milliliters was it again?”

 

“2.5 mL.”

 

“T-thank you so much …”

 

I guess this is fine … It's not a totally useless job. 

 

I leaned on my hand lazily, waiting for them to finish their jobs. I already told them what to do and the equipment they needed to use so the only thing I could do was sit down and stare at the ceiling.

 

“...”

 

While silently observing my group mates and other people working, someone called out to me from the side. 

 

“Excuse me?” a soft and delicate voice, too soft in fact, that I'd probably not hear it if it weren't for my sharp hearing.

 

Assuming that it was my group mate, I said politely: “Yes?”

 

But when I turned towards the one who called out, a timid girl with straight black hair and bangs came into my view. 

 

She wore a modest black dress with frills, contrasted by her white lab coat, and a pair of black calf boots laced with intricate designs—her overall outfit screamed out gothic lolita. Yet my attention was not on her outfit at all but on her …

 

Bangs?

 

Squinting my eyes, I felt like I saw her somewhere, especially after seeing those bangs … And then it clicked. 

 

Ah! The girl from McBo! 

 

Feeling like my head cleared up after I found out where I had seen her before. 

 

So that’s why I felt like she was familiar … But it’s weird … even before I met her in McBo I already felt like she was familiar … Well, never mind. I’ll remember it soon enough.

 

Still looking as timid as before, she shyly spoke out. “I-I’m sorry to bother you … but may I ask if you know the procedure for test two …?”

 

Hm? Test two?

 

Checking the printed instructions, I skimmed it quickly then answered her question… 

 

“It’s on the paper …”

 

I trailed off my words, checking her reaction. She had a troubled expression, even though it was kind of hidden behind her bangs, as I said that. So I guess they really needed someone to explain it to them, huh … 

 

Since it must have taken a lot of courage for her to go and ask me, and seeing her timid state; I was able to curb my own nervousness and simply explained to her step-by-step what to do and how to interpret the data.

 

“T-thank you so much!” 

 

Showing gratitude, she kept on bowing and thanked me eagerly with a much brighter yet still timid expression. Once she was satisfied with bowing, she walked back quickly to her group.

 

Sigh … I didn’t know my task involved other groups also … 

 

Kidding aside, why is it taking them so long to get the materials?

 

“We’re back!” Rebecca announced soundly, showing off the solutions in their hands.

 

“Let’s start, start, start!” Ember added buoyantly, also holding bottles of solution.

 

“What took you so long?” 

 

It took them that long to get three bottles, what could they possibly be doing?

 

Asking that, Rebecca looked to be troubled and hesitated to answer. But her companion beside her, with her eyes gleaming in mischief, spoke dreamily. 

 

“Listen to this … you see we just met a handsome guy! And he was talking to us just moments ago—though it feels like he’s just talking to Rebecca—but that’s beside the point! Oh my gosh, I never thought I would meet a guy more handsome than him in my life!”

 

With her eyes glistening like a maiden in love and hands together as if she was imagining that it was the handsome guy’s hand, Ember told us about their encounter in an excited and impatient manner.

 

Shifting my gaze to Rebecca, she looked helpless and kept on tugging on Ember’s shirt which remained unnoticed by Ember’s wistful act.

 

Out of choice, Rebecca averted her gaze and vehemently tried to explain herself. “It’s just about the activity and simple classmate interaction—nothing more, that’s all!”

 

“Oh, come on, Rebecca, stop being humble, it’s clear as the sky he’s interested!”

 

“That’s not the case at all! Why would you think like that?”

 

“Because … if it were really a polite conversation then why didn't he take notice of me at all?! D*mn it! Life is unfair!”

 

“Maybe … because he didn’t see you?”

 

“Are you saying I’m short?!”

 

“No, that’s not what I meant!”

 

Ember ceaselessly shared her assumption about the man who talked to them while Rebecca denied it with all her heart, as if so averse to the idea of a handsome man liking her. She kept on peeking at me back and forth, checking my reaction?

 

She didn’t need to deny it that badly, though. It’s up to her anyway and whether he was interested or not doesn’t matter. What matters is whether I can go home early today if we just started already!

 

“Let’s begin,” I coolly said since Ember seemed to have no intention of stopping.

 

“...!”

 

That stiffened her up and she mechanically goes back to her seat beside the daydreaming Snow.

 

“Y-yes, ma’am.”

 

Was my tone too harsh?

 

Ember’s reaction made me reassess my own tone about whether it was too cold or harsh. Anyway, work first before all of this.

 

***

 

 

Two hours later …

 

“... Here … you … go …” 

 

“Thank you.”

 

Snow handed me her part of the lab report and I checked it to avoid discrepancies in observation and interpretation, and after seeing it well done; I nodded at Snow and showed an ‘okay’ gesture.

 

“... Thanks …”

 

She went back to slumping on the table, moving much slower this time than earlier.

 

I think her energy is totally drained … 

 

But she really speaks and moves so slowly—was she a sloth in disguise? Thankfully, that did not apply to her work speed (she was the first one to submit) or else I might go crazy.

 

Subsequently, other members of the group, one by one, finished their part and I just had to check, revise, and help them out with things they were confused about. And of course, I’ve already done my part since a while ago. 

 

“Kris … can you help me with this …?”

 

“Where?”

 

“Here.” 

 

She pointed to her paper and I saw she was struggling a bit on how to answer the guide questions. Reading the question she was having a difficult time, I actually knew the answer but I still took out my phone to search it, just in case I was wrong. 

 

While I was searching, Rebecca was staring at me with her big eyes, waiting for an answer. 

 

“...”

 

Unexpectedly, she started to poke me while I was busy searching. I thought she needed something so I stared at her with a questioning gaze. She shrugged her shoulders, smiled in response, and continued staring. 

 

What …?

 

I went back to searching but she … kept on poking me here and there.

 

“Okay, what is it really?”

 

Rebecca wore a normal expression but somehow it felt like she was sulking as she said. 

 

“Nothing, I just thought Kris to be someone who hates close contact …”

 

“Yeah, I don’t like it,” I agreed with her words, not sure what’s the correlation with what she said and her, poking me.

 

“Liar. Caikee touched you casually and you even held Ember without hesitation earlier …”

 

Caikee? Huh, when? Was that back on the first day?

 

“I had to calm her down.”

 

“Yep, I know.”

 

If you know, stop sulking. And why are you even sulking?

 

“Anyway, here’s the answer.”

 

“... Okay, thanks.”

 

I gave her my phone and she took it calmly. It still feels like she’s sulking, though.

 

After several minutes …

 

Everyone passed their papers to me and I checked and approved it so I’m on my way now to give it to Professor Bridgett.

 

“Here’s our lab report, ma’am,” I said evenly, passing her the paper.

 

“Oh, you’re finished already? That’s fast!”

 

Professor Bridgett stopped fidgeting on her phone and then took a look at our paper.

 

Nodding as she read our paper, she said. “Okay, you can go home. Tell that to your group.”


Happy inside, I thanked Professor Bridgett and was about to head back. But she suddenly asked a question. 

 

“By the way, kid, is De Nayale in your class?”

 

I stiffened at that question, sweating inwardly, I thought: This is bad. Why is she asking me that question? Do I answer honestly or not? 

 

I calmly turned my head as I asked back. “Why’d you ask, ma’am?”

 

She leaned back on her seat casually as she said. “Nothing much, my friend just told me to take care of her.”

 

Who’s this friend of yours? And why do I have an inkling who she or he might be?

 

“Ah, I see.”

 

After saying that, I walked faster back to our table so the professor would not even realize I didn’t actually answer her question. At least, I didn’t lie, I just simply chose not to answer.

 

“We can go home. Prof said,” I said to Rebecca immediately after reaching our table.

 

“Really? Yay!” Rebecca beamed at that, clearly excited to go home.

 

“Finally! I don’t want to spend any longer in this place!” Ember also cheered.

 

“...” Snow is just as usual.

 

Eager to go home, I immediately walked towards the door. But was stopped by someone tugging at my shirt.

 

“Kris … let’s go home together?” Rebecca requested with a honeyed voice, giving me a delicate look.

 

“Sure,” I agreed since I don’t mind her company.

 

Pleased, Rebecca showed an angelic smile that you wouldn’t really doubt why she’d be popular.

 

“Yay!” she exclaimed and turned to others. “Goodbye, everyone! Take care on your way home.”

 

“You too, Rebecca! Bye-bye!”

 

Ember also returned Rebecca’s farewell while the others waved shyly … As for Snow, she was being dragged around by Ember—looking all drowsy and wobbly.

 

“Let’s go, Kris!”

 

“...”

 

Nodding, I was also dragged outside by Rebecca.

 

***

 

 

“Ah! There's De Nayale,” Professor Bridgett exclaimed as she checked the names of the first group to submit.

 

“That kid …” 

 

Professor Bridgett squinted her eyes as she remembered that all-black girl from earlier.

 

Hmph, how rude, ignoring me twice …”

 

She adjusted her glasses and it shined ominously …

 

“Hair up in a bun, thick eyebrows, and likes to wear black clothing … So she's De Nayale, eh …” 

 

The professor grinned slowly while a sense of foreboding hit the spine of a girl who just made the mistake of catching her professor's attention.

 

 

Hello.

If you want to see the character details and illustrations (AI-generated), check out my Patreon post (it's free), but if you want to leave it up to your imagination, that's fine too—after all, it's just a suggestion.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this chapter, see you next week!

7