54. Audience Favorite
403 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The broadcast in the coaching inn continued as work piled up by evening. 

Gan who had once boasted on his vlog about joining a horse riding club made a huge slip when the professional rider taught him the basics in the stables how to handle the straps of the horses. He didn't know squat about them! 

Horses are the engines of ancient times bringing hundreds of people across towns in just a day. As an ostler, Gan has to make sure he grooms and feeds the animals appropriately before they depart for the next journey and that requires removing the harness and putting them back again. 

When the first batch of customers filed out, Ms Emma returned on the screen to review their work. Everyone was tired and hungry from working all day. 

"Luan," Ms Emma remarked. "What is your impression of your work?"

"Tiring," Luan said desperately, clinging on the edge of the table. She didn't get a chance to sit all day while helping the head cook. "Imagine a real kitchen maid during this time, a girl several years younger than me doing this amount of labour with efficiency makes me realize how truly lucky I am for having a good life in the modern society." Her voice cracked and her emotions surged. "I wasn't even doing half of her actual work at this moment." 

Ms Emma nodded, silently admiring the young woman's route of thinking. She admits she had some preconceived negative impressions with these privileged children who had seen nothing about the hardships of the outside world. She had always thought they only came here for the easy exposure and the benefits promised by the corrupt organizers. There was only a slim chance of reviving the polluted show and showing its true potential, and that depends upon the participants. Fortunately, from the lineup they chose, they stumbled upon the real challenge takers. 

"However, the kitchen still did a poor job. The meal was barely passable and the customers complained a lot." Ms Emma eyed Yuni and Maya. 

Yuni secretly rolled her eyes but was still caught on camera. 

"The outside was also the same, the carriage was half an hour late because our ostler Gan managed the grooming a little too slow. Our waiter Eron mixed up a lot of orders..."

"I had no idea that waiting tables could be so confusing." Eron grinned, not the least bit embarrassed by his sloppy performance. "But having experienced it, we may now be able to make the work smoother." 

"Well, then I presume the next time wouldn't be so hard then since you were given enough time to get used to your task." 

Everyone nodded slowly. 

Ms Emma then informed them that the first leg of the challenge will end tomorrow. The live broadcast will be cut off and they resume the day after. The break period will be recording their prime time content. The audience doesn't have a lot of time to spare on live streams. Aside from seeing the actual task where the contestants were active, the rest will only appear plain and boring. This is when the recordings came in where they can add in edits, sound effects to make the show more interesting. 

The contract stated 24hr monitoring but that's only when there is an activity scheduled. During breaks, they will have plenty of time to rest and think about strategies. 

"After this warm-up, it's all up to you now. There will be no guides to help anymore." 

Yuni panicked, "What will happen to the kitchen then?!"

"Of course the other workers will still be there but you can no longer ask them what to do since you were already given time to familiarize yourselves." Ms Emma explained. 

The innkeeper's wife added, "Remember your roles and act on them accordingly."

"In this round, only Luan was the one who was up to it. She never stopped her hands from moving and did her work silently. We hope that in the next round, we see more of your resolve." Ms Emma, the innkeeper and his wife then leave after evaluating their performance. 

"Ugh, this sucks." Eron groaned, he received plenty of scolding from the customers today and felt angry but he couldn't express it when the camera was around. He looked at his cameraman and appeared to be initiating conversation. "Don't they know how tiring it is to bustle around all day taking several orders? The customers could be mean, sometimes I feel they were doing it on purpose. It's frustrating."

To his surprise, Yuni also commented, "I haven't done any of this thing but they expect me to get it on my first try. Look, my hands are already sore from chopping. I even have a few cuts."

It's nine o'clock when they gathered at the dining table for dinner. As workers in this inn, their food is naturally leftovers from the ones they made in the kitchen which was hardly acceptable to these brats raised by wealthy parents. 

"Are they seriously giving us food scraps?" Gan smiled angrily.  

Luan quietly ate the fish she gutted earlier with mixed emotions. She felt a little sad and also satisfied. Sad because she grew up eating the best foods money could afford but on this side of the world, people struggled. Satisfied on the other hand because she realized that the food that came out of her labour, although cannot compare to any gourmet dish she had, tasted better. She noticed that her companions on the other hand barely touched their share.

"It's clean." Luan urged. "They are untouched." If they refuse to eat, they will be forced to use the wages they painstakingly earned to buy then return home to their family's with empty pockets. It's not practical.  

Maya fiddled with the knife and fork reluctantly. "I agree with Ms Emma that sister Luan did a splendid job. We should step up our game, the reputation of this inn depends on us workers. The delay will only decrease our pay." 

"Alright," Eron Shi nodded enthusiastically. "Maya is right. Let's eat our dinner and sleep early." 

However, a long night's sleep is still a faraway dream. 

The girls were given a room near the kitchen while the men had to sleep near the storeroom.

"Mom, I'm not enjoying this!" Yuni cried out and jumped to push Luan forward when she saw a cockroach crawling on the floor. "I saw, I saw something moving there."

"Can you calm down first?" Luan sighed, rubbing her sore shoulders. "Never mind the small things, it's already good enough that we have a room down here. If we are noisy, the owners will kick us out in the cold."

Yuni covered her mouth in alarm. 

According to the script, the lord/innkeeper is a stingy man. He will charge anyone who uses anything in his inn. Maya remembered their roles and had to swallow her fear of roaches but Yuni secretly hated Luan for grabbing her screen time. She felt she was competing with her.

Three hours later they changed into their sleeping clothes and were deep into their dreams, the clip-clopping of approaching hooves signalled the arrival of a new customer.

 

 

Layla brushed over the comments from form today's live broadcast with a serious face then abruptly broke into a loud laugh. She was beating the cushions of the couch when the door of the TV room opened.

"Have you seen Sena's performance?" She eagerly asked the two men walking in. 

Nicholas raised an eyebrow seating himself on the left. His eyes went to the widescreen displaying the girl crawling on top of the roof like a dirty cat. She was balancing herself as she slowly climbed down the stairs. When the camera panned over the background he found that there was no rope nor any kind of protection holding her.

"Hell and fire, if this isn't the most outrageous thing she ever did!" Michael was struck dumb. 

It was then when Sena was about two meters to the ground that her foot slipped. Nicholas' heart skipped a beat. But then her laughter broke into the tense atmosphere. 

"I'm alright!" Sena called jumping down unceremoniously. 

"Is this girl a monkey?" Michael asked incredulously.

"You shouldn't let her hear that. She might beat you." 

"Sena's not here." He reasoned. 

"But your sister will," Nicholas remarked, succeeding just barely to hold back his grin when Layla flew over and gave her older brother an affectionate beating on his arm.

"On a serious note, what she did was quite dangerous. I had a bet with Chang'an and the guys of the horror movie crew that she would more or less call it quits and pack her bags."

"Big brother, you traitor! You bet against Sena?" Layla glared. 

"I thought she would easily give this up."

Layla gawked in disbelief. "Sena is the coolest person I know. I don't think she would!" 

Michael gave his sister a pitying look. Girl, you are blinded by your idol worship. He was about to nudge Nicholas when he found his eyes looking at him wrong. 

"Don't tell me you also think she would persist? Sena couldn't possibly--" 

"She will not quit." 

At this moment Sena and Nancy were on their third house to clean when a rotted piece of wood fell from the abandoned fireplace and a swarm of spiders broke out. The two ladies raced to the door screaming for their mothers. 

Michael burst into a hearty laugh. "I'm sorry, but as a business partner, I, of course, had to rely on my short but keen observation of her character and calculate what attitude she would adapt to face this show. Never mind those college brats, sure they were Sena's closest friends and naturally thought they knew her well. But regretfully, they haven't looked at her beyond the rose-coloured glasses. The life of an ancient person is very hard." 

While he was talking, Nicholas and Layla were no longer listening. The girls on the widescreen were only scared at first, but after the spiders scampered away from the nasty humans the girls returned to the fireplace to clean up. 

"They're not coming back, are they?" Nancy sniffed, looking around vigilantly. 

Sena patted the shivers off her body, "I hope so. You can give me a mouse and I won't complain but spare me those with more than four legs. Those things crawl all over your body, just thinking about it makes me itchy." 

So is half the audience. 

Michael was shocked to see them picking up their brooms and going about the cleaning as if nothing happened. When he turned to Nicholas, he noticed that there was a faint smile on his lips. 

"You really think she can make it through?"

Can you see someone brave enough to climb chimneys without a harness quit so easily?

Besides, even when these things were a hundred times poorer from where she grew up. Sena will continue to do her best due to sheer stubbornness. 

"Mike," he called. 

"Hn?"

"I think you need to get your eyes checked." 

Michel grinned at him annoyed. I'm not blind. You are, you lovesick dumbass!  

But none of them expected that because of Sena's exceptional performance, a ridiculous rumour popped in the internet splashing dirty water on her character. 

 

 

The live broadcast ended when their first task was done but the cameras still kept recording. Coming back to the villages after two days of working outside, the challengers gathered again at the square to receive their points. There are five activities to be done in two weeks: 

First, survive the gruelling work of being a hired hand in town. 

Second, live the daily life of an ordinary peasant. 

Third, survive as an ancient farmer by planting. 

Fourth, survive the work of craftsmen. 

Finally, help the lord manage his winter estate. 

In the first round, Arthur and TK surprisingly came first with a full 10pts because they managed to impress the local butcher and the judges of the show with their work. Sena and Nancy came second with a controversial score of 8pts, the audience even the yardmaster whom they work believed they deserved a ten but the judges only gave 8pts for a reason that they move quite slow. 

Sena narrowed her eyes, her thoughts hidden. The judges were bought, no doubt about it. They weren't told how many chimneys they should clean in the first place but the coins they earned were more than enough for three days' worth of meals. 

Arthur and TK also found it inexcusable. The girls' wages exceeded theirs yet they scored lower whereas Maya's team who made plenty of mistakes managed to get a seven! 

The program director had no idea that he created a huge dispute inside and outside of the shooting ground. The loyal fans of Nancy who originally disliked Sena contemplated their earlier behaviour when they dissed her for bullying their idol. What's funny is that when they saw Nancy being sticky to her, they began to observe her and found that Sena was very amiable. She takes care of their loli doll. Now that they are being oppressed by the show, the loli fans sharpened their spears and attacked. 

The biggest scoring challenger will get an additional 10% bonus in the final counting of votes, which is why points are important to each of them. Fans contribute 40% of the voting scores, the judges 30%, show performance 30% and an additional 10% for the one with the highest scores in tasks activities. Even when a contestant lagged in other criteria, his or her bonus can have the chance to turn the tables when the final voting comes. 

Everyone dispersed when the scores were handed out.

TK stretched his waist and snorted to his cameraman, "At this rate, even when you break your neck working, as long as they find you an eyesore your fate will not change."

He was making jabs at the judges and the show. The uncle can only awkwardly hum a reply. They cannot suppress the opinions of these contestants knowing their backgrounds and if they want to criticize the program they can do so without fear. The uncle felt that the director and the judges shoot an arrow at their own foot by luring the brats in. 

Behind the camera from other seasons, they were omnipotent. They can edit the things they want the audience to see, they can either destroy or build a person's reputation but that might not be effective to these. If they attempt that same trick, they will face consequences they may not be able to handle. At the very least, all they could do to ease their hurt pride is to issue more strenuous tasks. 

The third day is a rest day for everyone in the shooting camp. The cast can take time to get to know more of their new environment and have a short reprieve to plan out their next strategy. The crew rented the cabins not far from the experimental village not only for their cast but for their team as well. 

Apple, Uncle Jess and his men stayed in one of the cabins while Sena was shooting. Unlike the houses of the village, the cabins are fully equipped with modern amenities. Since they revived the old site, the local government along with an investor decided to make this place a tourist spot. Naturally, lodgings have to be built for the guests as well.  

"Are we allowed to sleep in the cabin?" Nancy asked on their way back to their 'families'.  

The three TK, Arthur and Sena walked together with her since their houses were in the same direction. 

"It's actually up to you if you want to," Arthur answered. "But personally, I think staying here in the village is much better."

TK groaned, but his decision surprised them. "I'll probably check it later for the shower. I was just beginning to adjust to the environment here, going back will only make me even more reluctant to continue with the challenge." 

Nancy bit her lip and thought about it. Honestly, this experience is truly harsh. She doesn't care if people call her squeamish and other derogatory names, she was raised differently and it was only normal to feel shocked and reluctant. But looking at her companions who experienced the same gruelling task she felt ashamed not to do her best. They all accepted this challenge so they should rise to the occasion. 

"Can we at least use our phone to check our performance? I wonder if my manager will come later. I hope she brings my phone."  

"Why not?" Arthur said. "Although the contract states we are not allowed to use our modern devices, that is only for keeping the confidentiality of the shooting. In other words, as long as we don't post our current status or anything related to the program at the duration of the filming, we are free to use our phones to check our accounts."

Sena's eyebrow twitched. She didn't know about this at all. The so-called outdoor challenge has such a big loophole. Anyway, the audience doesn't know what happens behind the cameras when the live broadcast is cut off. 

This is their third day here, the head of the villages would like to welcome them into the fold and ask everyone to join the banquet. Sena, like everyone else, rushed to the cabins for a bath. Everyone in the cast hasn't had any for three days because of the lack of water! 

After a nice scrub and long soak, she swapped her ancient costume into a sporty parka, jeans and boots prepared by Apple. When she was about to go to the square Maya suddenly came. 

"Sena, did something happen to Dresden? He hasn't contacted me for several days already and I'm beginning to worry. This has never happened before." She stood outside her cabin wearing a pale rose dress and an anxious look. 

"What does it have to do with me if he hasn't called you?" Sena crossed her hands to her chest and gave her a staredown. 

This one is up to something again. 

"B-But you knew each other."

"I also know your mom, once you can't find her. Will you run after me again?"

"I knew you hated the idea of me getting close to him but Dresden and I, we are truly in a relationship. He even plans to introduce me to his family..." Maya continued in a pleading tone. "I can't help it since he was the one who pursued me sincerely. I hope we can put aside our differences and please refrain from influencing him." 

Maya is an average pretty face but with her gentle-looking appearance and reserved demeanour, although she cannot be considered as some great beauty, her kind that is soft and submissive is attractive to the opposite sex. An innocent little lamb most men would often choose to shelter and care for. 

The corner of Sena's mouth rose into an arc, "Let's just cut to the chase, that's not what you came here for, correct? No matter how much you pretend, I can still see the ugly face under your false mask."

When her father's adultery broke out, she and her mother moved out of the Luz mansion before the divorce procedures had been signed. To fill the gap her father vacated, Paula doubled her love and effort to raise her by giving her the best of everything. Mrs Luz didn't want to be outdone either, she also wanted Maya to enjoy a good life so whatever Sena has, she made sure Maya also got it and eventually honed her daughter's warped behaviour.

She grew up thinking that everything Sena has, she can easily take them. But the bubble burst when they started to grow up. In terms of heritage, education and social circle, Sena came far more superior. It became even more pronounced when Sena was launched at Queen Jane's Ball, an annual banquet reserved only for the upper class in the UK when she turned sixteen. This was the beginning of Maya's resentment. Sena graduated early and co-founded a company, Maya can only convince her father to let her work in the Luz companies. When Sena was making headlines in the international magazines, she slowly made her way to the entertainment circle. The gap only grew wider.

What Maya did to overcome this was to make a drastic move by tearing down Sena's reputation in the last life. This way, Sena can no longer board on her pedestal. Although she still hasn't collected enough evidence yet, she suspects that Maya might have something to do with Sophie Qin. If she doesn't, how could she explain the series of coincidental accidents she experienced?

The moment Sophie managed to drag her down, the mother and daughter set their sights on her like vultures. 

"How boring…" Maya said with a giggle and stepped forward. "Are you not afraid I'm recording this?" 

"You don't have the guts to smash your image in front of people. Your insecurities won't allow you to. It has always been your fear." Sena said dryly. 

Maya's smile stiffened. 

"Cat got your tongue dear?" 

"I'm very aware that you dislike me for stealing your cosy home and daddy but you see, those things belong to me now," Maya said indignantly. "Sena, you should learn to accept that they are not yours alone. Besides, aren't sisters supposed to share? Being the more well-off one… oops, I'm sorry." She corrected herself clumsily then broke into a smug smile. "Not anymore. You no longer have your rich mother."

Sena did not alter expressions. 

"Anyways, I was about to ask you to be more generous but apparently things have changed. You probably don't even have enough to maintain the old lifestyle you were so proud of before. Truthfully, it's satisfying to see the great little princess everyone fawned over has fallen so far as to work like a normal person. How does it feel? Difficult right? I thought you would cry running home to daddy." Maya talked gently but her undisguised words kept ridiculing Sena unreservedly. "By the way, thank you for joining the reality show, everyone will finally be able to see what kind of a pathetic little bitch you are. You made it all easy for me, so I'm truly grateful for tossing yourself out here. It saves me a lot of time to deal with you. Remember, this time I will win and you will lose."

Sena maintained a posture of looking at a mentally challenged kid making no effort to interrupt her. There was even a hint of a smile in her hazel eyes. However, to Maya, she appeared to be looking at her with mockery and contempt.

"Finished?" 

Maya sneered but seeing that the other was unaffectedly cool made her anxious for some reason. 

"All the things you think you owned, I mean everything including the Luz Companies, your father and even Dresden you can have them all for yourself since I have no interest picking up scraps." Sena walked forward brushing past her shoulders then stopped. "I'm sorry you can only take my hand-me-downs, you can't afford the brand new ones after all. And tell you what, this is the last time I let you and your cheap mother take what's mine." 

Maya's frown turned hideous. The remark reminded her of everything since she moved to the Luz mansion. She happily took Sena's room, Sena's toys, even Sena's former neighbor and playmates thinking it originally belonged to her if only her mother came first. 

"Don't provoke me during the shoot. You will be sorry." She warned lightly then walked to where Apple stood leaving dumbfounded Maya alone. 

"She bothered you?" Apple asked worriedly. 

"She can't even if she tried." 

 

Sena came to the square, the lively villagers had already begun their fun and games. More than three hundred villagers and children were there to prepare the table filled with local delicacies, there were two roasting pits for barbecue lambs on each side. Everyone else was there including the crew. 

Nancy wore a fuschia coloured woollen coat and her hair tied with a fat rainbow ribbon. Arthur and TK sat near her also in their thick coats. 

"Over here, Sena!" Nancy called, waving her hands. 

"You made a friend quickly," Apple said. "I noticed you are quite good with young girls. Layla Saldini for one, now the granddaughter of the shopping mall tycoon Tennoji-sensei." 

Sena paused and chuckled. "Not really." 

Ever since she was reborn, she did have a soft spot for younger girls aside from the mean ones. 

Apple looked at her funnily, "Ah, yes. You seem to be at odds with that girl from the Eddings. Good job handling her behaviour by the way."

"Did I?"

"It was satisfying to watch."

Sena laughingly nudged him on the shoulder. Perhaps because she was more mentally mature than her age, she finds Mycah's rudeness funny. 

The villagers welcomed them generously with local food and dancing. When the merriment was over and the excitement died down, the city people who weren't used to staying put took this time to watch the recording of the show opening and the live stream for the first time. 

Everyone had more or less recognized each other from hearing their names on the same social circles but they came to know more of them after seeing the intro. 

Sena already knew most of them so she did not bother to watch the footage but held a video conference with Chang'an's crew in another province. She sat alone on a folded chair talking seriously with the boys over the phone, unbeknownst to her, several pairs of eyes were locked on where she's at. 

Maya's introduction could be said to be a fairy-like and enviable dream to many. The locals, especially the younger ones hired for the show, are very excited to watch it. Mycah, for one, was in a hurry to open her phone. 

As the earliest contestant to come into view, Maya had the privilege to be introduced first. 

"My parents give me around two thousand dollars a month for food and allowance." Her voice floated out of the phone. A smiling face looked at the camera as she revealed her outrageous spendings. 

Narrator: Maya as the sole child grew up pampered. Her parents bought her a beautiful apartment at the heart of the city serving as her very own paradise. At a young age, Maya already owned a to-die-for designer closet once featured on a popular teen magazine. In it is a wide collection of jaw-dropping items serving as her investment.

"I'm a big fan of rare designer handbags and shoes. This one I bought…" 

The camera followed her faithfully as she walked around the display shelves introducing each of her favourite things to her audience. 

The screen was flooded with all kinds of praising and envious comments from the audience who came specifically on her frame. Whenever there are hate remarks and sour words, her fans quickly defend her. 

Narrator: The price of each item alone costs enough to feed an average family for a year but life in the country certainly has no room for these. Will Maya be able to bear parting with them?  

Maya had the biggest luck of having wealthy parents, having to have what she desired at an arm's reach. But spoiled as she may seem, she is also well-known both for her academic performance and fashion sense. Maya is a born princess. 

When asked for the reason for her agreement to accept the challenge she said eloquently.

"I wanted to experience the life of people who have a different upbringing than me. Know the struggles they face daily that I would normally not think about…" 

Narrator: Would you be able to adjust yourself to it?

"I will try my best though I am sure it will be a struggle. Accepting this challenge means I am ready for a change of perspective. I want to give myself a reality check through this experience." 

Mycah's eyes twinkled in worship seeing how the rich treated money like running water. The amazing background of these people in the guesthouses had opened her eyes to a new and far wider world. She regretted that she wasn't able to get near Maya, she would very much love to see her up close. Her introduction was nice, she bet she was even nicer in person and they would certainly get along.   

The life of those in the city, no— the life of those in the upper class may be impossible for someone like her but that doesn't prevent her from liking it. But that's only before Sena came into view.  

Maya thought so herself. She was confident with her initial performance that is why she could hardly believe that the charming lady in the video was the half-sister she mocked a while ago. Sitting on her office desk with a mild sun pouring down on her like a golden hue, Sena dealt with the pressing works of the business she founded with the Tang couple with ease.

"Are you sure you want to record this?" The girl looked into the camera, "This might be boring you know." 

The narrator let out a playful laugh: Ms Sena Erde is one of the country's successful entrepreneurs. A young lady keen on investing in profitable projects rather than playing around— that's change! It may sound outlandish to be a pro agent at a very young age but she had made several achievements to back her claim. The youth's image has already graced several high profile magazines just this year alone. 

A curious question, something everyone was eager to learn popped up. 

Sena just smiled calmly, "Before I was able to make an income of my own, my mother was of course the one supporting the finances. My education, living expenses and luxuries were all given by her but as I began to earn, I naturally had to learn how to budget."

The following scenes about Sena's daily life made Maya's hand tremble especially when she saw the netizen's comments. 

[This is not just some rich kid, this is a successful kid.]

[My first time seeing a cast not spending her parent's money nor showing off her shopping spree and having an actual career. Kudos to this girl!]  

[No need to show off, you can tell by just seeing. She works hard and deserves all the good things she has.]

Everyone thought she would take this opportunity to welcome everyone into her world. A place unreachable to many people but no, she showed none of that and conveyed a different message by redefining success, not by the things she bought but by how she lived life. 

The ones who came out particularly likeable include Sena, Nancy who proudly said that her interest in business awakened because she wanted to support her hobby and Arthur who had always been eager to join the business community. These three among the rest had jobs of their own and can be said to have the ultimate bragging rights because they earn what they spend. 

Not even the most nitpicky critique can hurl accusations at them for living lavishly. 

"Cousin..." Yuni looked glum when she saw the rise of downvotes on her frame when they viewed the tasks next. 

While they were toiling away in the coaching inn, enduring the bites of mosquitoes and cockroaches, the other teams were already back to their homes sleeping soundly. Worse, their team were woken in the middle of the night to tend to guests who are coming! 

Maya was told by a noble guest to wash and iron her clothes before they depart the next morning. Whereas the kitchen went mad again when Yuni threw a fit when the cook reprimanded her for cutting the ham too thick. Luan still did her best despite being tired but Yuni's constant grumbling chafed her already frayed nerves. 

Yuni saw the comments and turned pale. She thought the strategy they adopted during the interview to act cute and clumsy would buy people's affection. She intentionally cut the ham too thick thinking it would make the guest happier. Who knew that there is such a rule that they must save on food and get every coin it's worth? The cook was furious because ham is expensive! Her action, unfortunately, caused an embarrassing backlash branding her as the dumbest contestant.  

Maya is also on the verge of losing her prestige with all her crying during the laundry scene. 

She was red from her face to the roots of her hair when she came face to face with how the audience saw her. 

[Absolutely horrid.]

[Even when this is all staged, I still find it hard to believe that they refuse to cooperate because of little inconvenience. They keep bringing up how they have not washed clothes, not washed dishes not eat leftovers… fuck I'm about to suffer a stroke from anger.]

[Jeez, she shouldn't have joined the program. She should return to her nice and posh home.]

[Meanwhile, the other side had already finished their task without complaint nor shedding a single tear.]

[I'm afraid Maya Luz will become dehydrated and cracked from all that crying when morning comes.]

No! It shouldn't be this way. Maya's flesh trembled. Aren't people more lenient to the weaker ones? The image she wanted to project is a girl enduring hardships despite her generous upbringing. People loved seeing reformation and Maya knew how to cater to their taste. She was even ready to throw a little tantrum to get more of their sympathy. But their goal will never change; having learned a little in this camp a brand new Maya will appear. 

More grounded, no longer ignorant inside her safe bubble.  

But the harsh commentaries pricked her confidence. Her loyal fans who are supposed to soothe her upset also chose the most unfortunate times to stay silent leaving her in a complicated mood. 

9