2. Misconceptions
99 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sullivan contemplated the ramifications of his decision, reflecting on the personal consequences that his actions might entail. It had been a surge of emotions that led him to make that choice. He was no producer, let alone a business-savvy individual, but he also felt a profound empathy for Yume, the idol whom he had adored for most of his life.

 

"Are you sure about this, producer?" Yume's discerning voice resonated through the phone once more. "I mean, if you're doing this because-"

 

"I'm doing it because I want to, Yume," Sullivan replied firmly.

 

"Alright," Yume sighed, her tone still tinged with worry. "I'll go to that party. I appreciate you being lenient, producer."

 

"We all need to relax from time to time," Sullivan responded, attempting to sound confident. "Now, go and enjoy yourself."

 

Ending the phone call, Sullivan couldn't help but feel conflicted. A whirlwind of emotions coursed through him. On one hand, he felt a sense of satisfaction for allowing Yume to have fun, but on the other, dark thoughts whispered about the potential dangers and risks that an apparently innocent idol could face when mingling with friends. Sullivan had heard stories before, and the idea of Yume being exposed to such risks troubled him deeply.

 

"I-I think I'm going to be sick... No, I shouldn't be like this," Sullivan muttered, trying to steady himself. He glanced at the producer's phone once more, scrolling through the contacts and stumbling upon a conversation thread titled "New house?" The message contained an address from an unknown number, accompanied by a somewhat cryptic message.

 

"I hope to see you at a decent house this time, producer. I've had enough of you staying in fancy hotels..."

 

Sullivan had no idea who this person could be. Was it one of the original four idols? Or perhaps an old flame of the producer? Regardless, if he wanted to unravel more about the producer's life, he felt compelled to visit the address mentioned in the message.

 

"I suppose that's where I'm headed..." Sullivan mumbled as he slipped the phone back into his pocket. A rush of curiosity and adrenaline somehow bolstered his spirits. He stretched his arms a few times and then observed the police officers who were currently engaged in conversation with the newly arrived medical team.

 

"I shouldn't cause too much of a scene here, so for now, I'll let the medical team do their thing..."

 

 

After settling matters with the police and the medical team, Sullivan cast one last glance at his lifeless body before making his way to the address stored in his phone. Hailing a cab, he relayed the destination to the driver, and within moments, he noticed a smile on the driver’s face.

 

"Why are you taking a cab to that address, sir?" the driver asked.

 

Sullivan responded with a question of his own, "That’s a strange question. Why you ask?”

 

The driver shook his head. "Well, not exactly, but in my ten years as a cab driver, this would be the first time I've been to that place. It's a gated subdivision reserved for the elites of the idol industry and cabs are usually not allowed there or well, not usually but most of the time, they’re barred from getting passengers from that subdivision.

 

"I see," Sullivan chuckled nervously, running his hand through his hair. "I thought I'd take a different approach, but don't worry, please continue, and I'll..." He pulled out the producer's wallet and noticed a handful of large bills. "I'll compensate you for your time."

 

"I appreciate it, sir," the driver replied with a short laugh. "If you don't mind me asking, are you perhaps an industry producer?"

 

"Y-Yes," Sullivan answered hesitantly, knowing he was not, but rather, he was trapped in the body of someone considered a major player in the industry.

 

"Really? My daughter would be thrilled if I told her I met an industry producer," the taxi driver said as they drove through the highway. "She's auditioning to try her luck. Her mother is against it, but what can you do? The idol boom has swept up every young lady in the city. Almost every new segment on both radio and television revolves around it."

 

"I see," Sullivan replied quietly, well aware of the idol boom. It was one of the reasons he had discovered the original four and had dedicated his life to following them. Some saw the idol boom as a poisonous influence on young women, while others viewed it as an opportunity for fame. Sullivan's perspective aligned more with the latter, but he also understood that this surge of idol content had affected both those who chased the dream and those who didn't.

 

As the cab reached the main entrance of the gated subdivision, one of the guards instructed Sullivan to roll down the window.

 

"What are you doing here?!" the guard growled. "We've told you that you're not allowed in this exclusive subdivision!"

 

"Sorry, but I have a customer who asked me to bring him here!" the driver explained, as the guard shone his flashlight into the cab and directly at Sullivan's face. In a matter of seconds, the guard flinched and dropped his flashlight.

 

"M-Mr. Olrick!" he stammered. "My insolence...is unforgivable. Please, pass through." He bowed profusely. The driver also regarded Sullivan with a shocked expression, as though he had seen a mythical creature.

 

"It's alright," Sullivan responded with a sheepish smile. "If you could let us pass, we should be on our way."

 

"Of course, Mr. Olrick! Hey, you idiots! Open the gates!!" the guard bellowed at the guard post. "Open them right now! Hurry!" He continued to exclaim until the gates finally swung open. After one more deep bow, he signaled for the driver to proceed.

 

"I guess that's it?" Sullivan mumbled, and the driver let out a sigh.

 

"That's it? This is nothing short of amazing, sir. Why didn't you tell me you're the famous producer of the original four?" The driver wore a broad smile.

 

"I-I don't usually disclose my identity," Sullivan stammered in reply as the producer's phone rang once more. Picking it up, he saw an unknown number and decided to answer, just as he had with Yume. After a few seconds, a gentle, almost motherly voice spoke on the other end.

 

"Producer...I heard you were injured. Are you in the hospital?"

 

"N-Nanase," Sullivan's voice trembled with a mix of surprise and excitement as the second member of the original four idols, Nanase, was calling.

 

Shiina Nanase is a rising star in the entertainment industry, known for her impeccable talent in the art of dance. She has won numerous awards and accolades for her stunning performances, and her fans adore her for her grace, beauty, and dedication to her craft. However, Nanase's personal life has always been shrouded in mystery and speculation. A few years after her debut, leaked documents from her studio pointed to her engagement, sending shockwaves throughout the industry. Unlike Yume, who bravely admitted to her relationship and asked for her fans' understanding, Nanase has remained tight-lipped about her personal life, neither confirming nor denying the allegations.

 

Contemplating what to say to the idol, Sullivan strained to form a coherent response.

 

"I-I'm okay, Nanase," he replied, attempting to sound confident. "You don't need to worry."

 

"But I am worried," Nanase responded immediately, her voice tinged with concern. "Why are you getting yourself into trouble while I'm in The Netherlands?"

 

"L-Like I mentioned, I'm fine, Nanase, so you shouldn't bother coming back," Sullivan tried to reassure her, surprised to learn that the idol was in The Netherlands. Could she be working on an international project?

 

"Like I said, I'm worried. If it weren't for my fian-"

 

Nanase abruptly cut herself off and cleared her throat. "Anyway, I could always send someone to look after you if needed."

 

"I'm all right," Sullivan replied, though his heart sank. Another betrayal from his cherished idol? Was Nanase about to mention her fiancé? Sullivan had heard rumors about the supposed engagement but hadn't considered it was real.

 

"You don't sound all right," Nanase's voice remained firm. "I know you want me to keep working, but I can't do that if you're acting this way. I have some time, so can we talk about what's going on with you?" “You sound like you’re not.” Nanase’s voice was firm. “I know you want me to continue working but I wouldn’t be able to do so if you’re acting like that. I have a bit of time so can we talk about what’s happening with you?”

2