[6] Infiltration
1.2k 9 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zombies are definitely not averse to sunlight like vampires. But they’re definitely slower. Perhaps they’re just in a “standby mode” when no prey is around? …I wonder if they’ll all die out when they get too hungry.

Haah. Shit. The anxiety is overwhelming. I picture the worst case scenario, and laugh derisively.

What, today is a big day. It’ll turn out fine.

…Deep breaths.

Put on my running shoes, and secured the laces tightly with tape. 

Band-strapped magazines rolled around my forearms to prevent bites.

Made sure not to carry too much in my bag.

With preparations complete, I exited my apartment and stepped into the corridor cautiously. Reaching the rubbish chute on my floor, I opened it with a creak. It’s a long way down but… without a rope of any kind, or athletic ability, this was the only way.

I jumped. 

Controlling my fall by creating friction along the chute walls, I eventually fell into a pile of rubbish.

“...Euck…” 

I was in the rubbish disposal area. The only way out was through the garage door which seemed to be locked.

No sign of zombies, or humans. Seems like no one has thought of jumping through the chute yet. I glanced at the map on my player interface, and relaxed a little. 

The feature that made it easy to find straggling zombies last night. It had become a very useful tool to avoid danger: The map displayed all entities in a radius, allowing me to perceive presence in dots. Those red dots coalesced outside were most definitely zombies, but there seemed to be no signs of them noticing my presence here.

Once I was sure the coast was clear, I removed the throwaway clothes that I was wearing and put on new ones. Then, I took out a Nano Disruptor and placed it by the door. 

Taking a few steps back, I lowered myself in a sprinting stance and put the bag in front of me just in case.

From here on, without stopping…

—BOOM! A loud explosion resounded, and a large hole was created on the folding door. 

RUN! I quickly strapped on the bag and dashed out into the light.

Zombies. Zombies. More zombies! Angry skinwalkers entered my vision. Their numbers were bone-chilling.

Picture hundreds. Hundreds of them, looked towards the direction of the explosion.

The zombies... began to run, like dogs chasing cars. So much for being slow!

I threw a few more Nano Disruptors which were set to explosive mode.

Defeat Zombie (7/20) - Reward: 1,000 Z-Chips

The Nano Disruptors exploded with such recoil that a zombie that was lunging at me was flung several meters away. 

““Rrrahhhghh!!””

More took its place, but I threw more against the ones that got really close. A few heads were blasted to bits.

Another zombie caught up, causing me to raise my arm in reflex. It big hard into the magazine layer of my arm.

"Persistent fucker!"

I immediately pushed it away, tearing off the magazine protection on my arm as it just wouldn't let go.

Just a few more close-calls...

Keep running, don’t look back, don’t trip, don’t stumble, breathe properly, pace well! 

I reminded myself repeatedly, only guided by the map before me. Red dots with frightening levels of speed threatened to catch up to me each time, but I made sure to space out the explosive when it happened.

Explosions ensued, attracting even more zombies. A beeline towards one place only.

That military encampment. I just had to reach it.

My body was already getting tired. I was gasping for oxygen at the end of a mad run. My remaining stock… already down to four remaining. But it was worth it. Thanks to that, I could already see the convenience store, and the soldiers in the distance.

As expected, it had turned into a military zone. Ramparts were built up, along with barbed fences.

I stored the remaining equipment into my Inventory, and pushed out the last bits of my stamina to outrun my pursuers. My ears were ringing, but I could hear soldiers shouting, bullets whizzing by, and the agonizing screams of the zombies behind me.

When I saw a soldier jogging towards me, I collapsed as all the tension had left my body.

…Light-headed. 

 


 

Right now, I’m in a tent filled with sanitary, medical facilities, being interrogated. The smell of medicine filled my nose. 

“...A fight between ability users? That’s what you’re saying right, Ren?” An inquisitive voice confirmed as he looked at my information on the citizen registry.

“Yes… because of me…” On the other side, I repeated the script that I had memorized beforehand. 

Yes. Blame the explosions on an unidentifiable ability user. Stretch the possibilities, overthink it. 

With powers, people become more unhinged. Disputes settled with the exercise of superpowers wouldn’t be an impossibility, seeing how society had more or less collapsed overnight.

Isaac, as he’d introduced himself as, seemed to be a middle-aged non-combative personnel judging by the white lab coat he was wearing over his pale, skinny figure. He eyed me up and down, and continued.

“Oh yes, I’ve heard the story from the lieutenant.” His eyes squinted.

 “So you’re saying you’re worth that much that people would kill for it? An explosive-type ability user even, that would be in the upper levels of superpowers…”

I nodded pensively. “Yes. I judged that the only way to survive was to come here. Many people were after me for the same reason.”

As I subtly approached the meat of the story, I could see Isaac’s facial expressions change minutely.

“The same reason… naturally, if what you say is true, then your existence as an ability user will most definitely be coveted by many.”

Taking a scalpel, Isaac slit a tiny bit of skin on his index finger. A faint trace of red could be seen on the blade.

“Show me.” He told me as he pointed at me with that finger.

I nodded, and pretended to concentrate.

“Just before I do this. I should tell you that my power takes time to recharge. If you want a stronger showing of its effects…”

Isaac now pushed the scalpel against his wrist, blood began to flow steadily.

“Is this enough for the experiment?” He smiled.

I moved to cover his arm with both hands.

“More than enough. Now, don't move.”

Well, all of this is just random jumbo I’m using to stall for time. The real trick was hidden by my hands. A familiar drug appeared in my hand as I took it out of my inventory.

“I’ll use it now.”

Isaac nodded.

[Use Weak Nanohealing Pill]

“Heal.”

Before Isaac’s widened eyes, the large wound on his finger started to recover. In a matter of seconds, it was completely back to normal.

With this, the illusion was complete.

There was a moment of silence as Isaac opened and clenched his hands.

"...Incredible. Cell regeneration... no, is it the restoration of the..."

His words were stopped as he realized I was staring at him.

“Kuhumm... ...Ren. Are you interested in joining the army?” 

"That's what I'm here for."                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Isaac nodded, seemingly pleased with my answer.

“Good choice. Well, we’re not telling you to work for us, for free. We’ll iron out the details after your talk with the lieutenant again. Hang on, I’ll make the call. Here's your temporary identification for now before we get it properly registered.”

I received a pass card.

Well, I wouldn’t stay here for long anyway. The call seemed to have concluded, as Isaac walked out of the tent.

“Come on, I’ll give you a tour around.”

 


 

It was evening.

“You can stay here for now. We’ll discuss more about you tomorrow at 6, alright?”

“Yeah, thanks a lot. This will do fine.”

Isaac nodded, and left the bunk he brought me to sleep in. A one-man bunk with my own privacy. …There might be recording devices around though. I'm glad I don't have the habit of talking to myself. 

The map was now updated properly. Now, I bide my time, and hope the timer works properly.

I waited around for half an hour, until the time was nearly right. It’s almost time—

Just on cue, in the distance, there was a high-volume screech.

As it continued to play, I quickly left the bunk and headed towards my final destination. No one paid attention to me, as the screech continued. I walked leisurely and naturally against the flow of people. Eventually, the shrilling sound had stopped, but it was replaced with gunfire.

Meanwhile, I had already reached the front of the capsule.

Several scaffolds were built around it, but contrary to the news, it didn’t even seem close to opening. There were a lot of machines around, and… a teenage girl who was listening to music on her headphones.

…Sure seems young to be a guard.

She noticed me as I got closer.

“Who are you? Never seen you around before.”

I smiled, and continued forward.

“Just here to see the thing in person.”

“...Well. Feel free. That thing’s as stubborn as a rock. We’ve taken a crack at it for a day, but it shows no sign of budging. I’m sorry mister, but you’re only going to disappo…inted…?”

Click. Her words stopped as she heard something unbelievable.

Air pressure was expelled in hisses, as the cryogenic chamber showed signs of moving.

“N…No way… what did you do…?!” I heard the agitation in her voice, but I didn't stop to look back.

All of my attention was before the opening chamber.

The sleeping beauty awakens.

And at this moment, I was simply a player.

Drowning out all noise around me, my heart beat excitedly.

You have claimed a 4-Star Unit!

[Lunallu] ★★★★

Control | Electra

No. 24 — The Violet Warden

“Evil must be kept in chains. Doctor, I’ll trust you to hold mine tightly.”

You have gained the title: Doctor

You have unlocked [Loyalty System]

8sYv57B.png

The woman in violet-blue hair stepped out of the cryogenic chamber.

Clothes that seem to imply nobility, and several chains were strapped around her outfit like an accessory. It was the aesthetics of this noblewoman. Chains wrapped around her body started to unwrap like a living creature. But if one looked closely, static was bouncing around the chains, causing it to move erratically that way. A character with such minute control over Electra. 

All at once, female vocals with a majestic symphony played in my ears. 

Ah... I immediately recognized it as a diehard fan. It's her soundtrack, Lunallu's theme: Violet Rebellion. The atmosphere became even more solemn as the chamber produced a set of stairs down to the ground.

Lunallu began descending in steps towards me. Gracefully and silently along with the orchestra. Her high heels resounded with each step, as if demanding the attention of her onlookers.

Eventually, we were before each other. At such a close distance, I could see Lunallu in her entirety. Her lips, her soft skin without blemish. Her attentive blue eyes, and the fine strands of her shoulder-length hair.

The standards of a 4-star in the real world was overwhelmingly positive, as every part of her body seemed to be made by an artisan.

Staring slightly down at me with her overbearing height, Lunallu curtsied with closed eyes. The chains around her lowered themselves too, the greatest respect that I knew this character could give.

"At long last. I greet you, Doctor."

32