Ch. 7 “The death of peace of mind” (part 2)
86 5 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the conversation with Valeria the night before, Oriana was able to sleep peacefully through the whole night. Up until that moment, ever since she learned about the potential relationship between Valeria and Xuelan, she was tormented by nightmares disrupting her rest.

When she woke up in the morning, she was feeling as if she got at least a month’s worth of sleep, even though she woke up much earlier than usual.

Seeing how it wasn’t even time for breakfast yet, and that Paula wouldn’t come for the next hour or so, Oriana decided to start getting ready on her own.

She was feeling much more energetic and lively compared to the past few days. It was almost like a huge weight was lifted from her shoulders.

In the center of it all, was the person that she expected the least.

Valeria.

After everything that happened in the recent days, Oriana couldn’t pretend to not notice the feelings budding in her heart any more.

At first, she thought that it was nothing more than a simple fascination. After all, Valeria was not only good looking, but was also a rising star in the court, thanks to her knowledge and skills that could put to shame most high born people her age. Even the way she presented herself was worthy of an aristocrat.

If Oriana didn’t know better, she would think that Valeria must be some daughter of an important noble, or even royalty!

It was no surprise that she was so popular among people, no matter their social standing.

If even the sons and daughters of renowned noble families were willing to go all the way to the Golden Palace to try and gain the famous Commander’s favor, how could Oriana claim to not be even a bit interested in her?

But when she heard the rumors about Xuelan and her, the idea of Valeria leaving for someone else was too painful to be deemed a trivial fascination.

The thought of the Commander having feelings for somebody else was enough to make her lose sleep and wreak havoc in her heart.

Oriana finished tying her hair in a simple braid and slumped on the vanity.

Now I’ve done it. I’ve fallen in love with this Bastard of all people… What am I supposed to do now?

 

— Commander? What are you doing here so early? — Paula had just arrived at the Princess’ chambers, when she unexpectedly saw Valeria waiting in the hallway.

Usually, she would come when it was time for Oriana to leave for breakfast or some other appointment. It was still unclear to Paula how the Commander was always able to tell when the Princess was ready, but she decided to not worry about it too much. After all, it was just another sign that the two were destined for each other.

— Her Highness hasn’t been feeling well lately. I wanted to check up on her, but… I didn’t want to wake her up — Valeria scratched her cheek awkwardly.

— Breakfast is almost ready, so I guess it’s about time for Her Highness to get up. — said Paula, doing an admirable job at containing the rush of excitement inside her.

This is too adorable. How am I supposed to work when they are so adorable?!, she screamed in her heart while opening the door.

— You know, Commander, if Her Highness… — Paula stopped in the middle of her sentence upon entering the room.

Seeing her shocked expression, Valeria rushed inside, and also froze in place.

— Did something happen? You both look like you’ve seen a ghost. — asked Oriana, while putting on her earrings.

— Are you feeling okay? — Valeria approached her while staring at her intensely.

— Yes. Why?

— Did you hit your head last night or something?

— No??? — Oriana’s eyes were jumping between Paula and Valeria. — Why are looking at me like that, both of you?!

Paula and Valeria exchanged looks.

— It’s still early in the morning, Your Highness… — Paula started softly, unsure of how to put her thoughts into words.

— And?

— And you’re already awake, and even ready to go. I thought that you may have hit your head, or that the visit to the lake got you sick. You usually refuse to open an eye before noon. — Valeria, on the other hand, let her words flow unfiltered.

— You… — Oriana narrowed her eyes — You know what? I should tell Xuelan to take you with her back to Liung-Mun!

She got up from the vanity and rushed to the door.

— You said you would be sad if I left.

— I LIED!!! — the Princess yelled from the hallway.

Valeria, however, didn’t seem disturbed in any way. Her shoulders visibly relaxed as she gave Paula a smug smile.

— Mm. She seems fine. — she said, before chasing after Oriana.

The maid was standing alone in the chamber, uncertain of what she even witnessed.

 

During the breakfast, the King was absent once again. It was already rare for him to attend, but with the celebrations and Oriana’s wedding, he had even less time.

With time, Queen Hester got used to sitting in the dining room, and waiting for her daughter to come. Since

Oriana was known to sleep in late, the usual breakfasts were moved to a time that took the Princess into consideration.

With the guests around, however, there was a need to time the meals in accordance to what was customary. This naturally resulted in her daughter being usually the last to join them.

To see Oriana march into the dining room first thing in the morning, while also fully dressed and looking presentable, was not a small shock to the Queen.

— My dear daughter, is everything alright? — she asked when the Princess sat down by the table.

— Why is everybody asking me this?! Yes, I woke up early today! And you know what? I might even do that tomorrow too! — Oriana folded her arms in front of her, pouting.

The Queen raised her eyebrows while looking questioningly at Valeria, who came to the dining room shortly after.

— My apologies, Your Majesty. Her Highness has had difficulty sleeping lately, and even though it seems like the issue is gone, there might be still a bit of bad mood left. — the Commander bowed politely to the Queen.

— I see… Please, keep looking after my rowdy daughter, then.

— Yes, Your Majesty.

Oriana couldn’t believe her eyes, and ears.

— Stop talking like I’m not here!

The arrival of the Dragon Princess and Kyra, who had a suspiciously flushed face and who did her best to avoid any eye contact with her mistress or her sister, swiftly changed the object of attention in the room.

— Your face is red. Are you not feeling well? — Valeria asked when Kyra came to her side.

Hearing her question, the blush on the girl’s face got even brighter.

— I’m fine. It’s just… hot today. — she answered, while stealing a glance at Xuelan, who so happened to also look to her direction.

The Dragon Princess tried to hide a smile behind her wide sleeve as she pretended to cough. She wasn’t able to mask the excited sparkle in her eyes, however, which Oriana immediately noticed.

She looked first at the smiling Xuelan.

Is that…?

Then at the blushing Kyra.

Did they…?

Then at Xuelan again.

By the Heavens, how could I be so blind?!, Oriana hid her face in her hands.

— Maybe I should call for a healer to take a look at you, just in case? — insisted the oblivious Valeria.

— Stop bothering her already. She said she’s fine! — once enlightened, Oriana couldn’t simply sit and watch anymore. She had to help Kyra free herself from the overprotective clutches of her, impervious to the romance in the air, sister.

The Commander wasn’t convinced, but she didn’t push anymore. She did have a feeling that the Princess knew something, so she intended to interview her thoroughly on the first occasion.

 

Almost everyone was already sitting at the table, when lastly came Prince Emil.

Oriana hadn’t seen him ever since they came back from the lake. Remembering the stern scolding she gave him, she started feeling bad.

During the whole time she was lecturing him and even afterwards, he didn’t say even a word. He didn’t try to defend himself nor admit that he was wrong. He simply stood there, listening to her.

The Princess started worrying that maybe she went too far. In the end, he was also a royal, and a future king, so there was a certain dose of respect that she ought to show him.

On top of that, as things were, they were about to get married.

Oriana’s chest tightened at the thought.

Not so long in the past, she was dreaming about falling in love. She was eagerly awaiting to experience this magical feeling that she read so much about.

Now that it had finally happened, she couldn’t be any more at a loss. She never thought of the possibility that the one she was going to spend the rest of her life with and the one that she loved were two different people.

— Your Majesty, I’m terribly sorry for being late. Early in the morning, I received a letter from one of our businesses in Aelius. It seems like there was some trouble that requires my immediate attention. I will have to leave the Palace for a few days, however, I shall return before the ball. — Emil said, bowing deeply.

When he came to the dining room, Oriana noticed dark circles under his eyes.

— I understand. I will pass this information to my husband. — The Queen answered, not bothering to ask for details.

As far as she was concerned, the Prince of Adler could very well just pack his bags and go be swallowed by the Abyss.

— Thank you, Your Majesty. I shall go. My carriage is waiting for me. — Emil stole one last glance at the Princess before leaving.

Feeling that the Prince’s sudden “important business” could have something to do with her and the way she treated him the other day, Oriana chased after him to the entrance.

— Emil! Wait!

— Oriana, I’m sorry. I have to leave for a few days… — he took her hands into his — But don’t worry. We will be back together very soon.

The Princess wasn’t certain what she should say.

— I’m… I’m sorry for yesterday, Emil. I… shouldn’t have yelled at you. — she said casting her eyes down.

— It’s okay. I would never be angry at you. It wasn’t your fault. — he smiled, then leaned and left a single burning kiss on her cheek. — I won’t be gone for long. Please, wait for me.

Even after Emil got inside his carriage and left, Oriana was still standing in place.

Her fingers brushed against the spot where the Prince left his kiss and sadness filled her heart.

Nothing can ever be simple, can it?

This chapter is closing Act I, so after the last part (released on saturday) House of Gold will go on a 1 week break (12.02-18.02). I want to reorganize a few things and prepare for a very long Act II, so that I can keep up with the regular updates. 

We would be back on 19.02. Same schedule as now :)

8