Chapter 79
2.9k 9 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week had passed since the beginning of the second invasion. People around the globe waited for these monsters to stop dead on their track like the previous first invasion but it didn’t happen. The monsters kept on invading the land of human prompting the people to flee further away from their homes.

 

On the other hand, the news outlets were making a big issue about this situation while undermining the effort of the military. They were seeking a solution through the broadcast hoping for more Awaken people to come out in the open, fighting like the leading red-hair woman in New Jersey.

 

After the live broadcast of the first Awaken on-screen, Bryce earned her own reality TV-show detailing her path of decimating those monsters. She became an overnight sensation, a star unlike any other. The netizen dubbed her as the Scarlet Battle Maiden, a female warrior fighting at the front line and she wasn’t the only one.

 

More Awakens took the internet like a big wave as a few of them took their fighting through live streaming. They were bold and courageous, trying to make a name like the woman of wonder, Bryce Hendricks.

 

While some people were celebrating the rise of these Awakens, yet most of them were worried about the impending monsters coming towards their way. The monsters originating from the Kawartha Park had already invaded Peterborough as they were no humans left within the proximity of that city. The citizens were already evacuated from the quick work from the Canadian Armed Force.

 

A family of four in Toronto was worried about the future. While the parents were worried about their life, their daughter had been out all week which was rather strange considering how she usually sat at home.

 

While the parents were discussing at the dining room, they heard the steps of their son coming down from the stairs. The concerned mother called out to Jason.

 

“Jason,” the good son walked to the dining room with his tracksuit on ready to get out of the house.

 

“Your sister been acting pretty strange lately, she’s going out way too often than usual. Does she has a boyfriend?” she asked.

 

“Mom, she’s in university, that kind of thing is normal,” said Jason.

 

“But, you know how your sister is, she isn’t like that,” said the mother.

 

Jason didn’t know what else to say, he knew the fact that Esther had been spending time with Hakeem by a lot and most of it was about training. They had done a lot and learned a lot during this whole week.

 

“Relax mom, she’ll be fine,” said Jason. “I’ll be going out for a while, I’ll be back by dinner.”

 

The son left the house leaving the two anxious parents. With all these monsters going around prowling through human cities, these kids of theirs were suddenly becoming more outgoing contrasting to their usual selves.

 

Jason jogged for a few meters after leaving the house and noticing the distance was quite far, he then broke into a sprint. His speed was unlike any human as after a while he reached his destination, Hakeem’s apartment.

 

He knocked on Hakeem’s door. The door opened up and the first thing he saw was his sister, Esther. If it was before the monster invasion he would have been worried about this sister of his opening the door to a bachelor’s apartment but circumstances had changed, that kind of thing didn’t matter. He stepped inside walking to the living room.

 

“All ready?” he asked.

 

“I’m worried man,” said Hakeem as he came out from his bedroom dressed from top to bottom in all-black clothing. A tactical vest, black leather boots, military-grade black pants and a kevlar helmet on top.

 

“Worry about what? You look great, ready for action,” said Jason.

 

“That isn’t the problem, the problem is where the hell did you get these things? I don’t think they sell these,” said Hakeem.

 

Jason just smiled not bother about explaining the minor details. With Shadow Sneak, if he didn’t use it for the greater good then wouldn’t it be a waste for such an incredible skill. While under invisibility he saw a few of these equipment laying around in the Police Tactical Division’s vault, it would be rude of him if he didn’t use those well-made pieces of equipment to its fullest capability. Thus, he took a few sets of them in the name of borrowing.

 

“And you, why aren’t you wearing it yet?” said Jason while glancing at Esther.

 

“These things are too crude,” said Esther.

 

“Don’t be an idiot, you need to wear it if you want to follow us,” said Jason.

 

“Is it really necessary? This kevlar vest is useless since I’ve already got Energy Guard to protect myself,” said Esther.

 

She got a point there but as the de facto leader of this three-man group, Jason had his own reasons.

 

“We’re going hunting and not having a picnic, that blouse and those tight skin-fit jeans of yours aren’t appropriate,” said Jason.

 

“You can’t tell me what to wear,” said Esther.

 

“Then you can’t come along. Hakeem, get the bags, we’re going,” said Jason as he took a few filled up duffel bags and proceed to the door.

 

“Fine! I’ll go and change,” she said.

 

Jason just smirked seeing her reaction. The allure of getting stronger had already embedded deep inside of Esther. After tasting a sense of power by allocating her points to strength she came to know of what it meant to be strong. Even for a woman, having the sensation of being strong couldn’t be denied. More so, his sister was the dependent type of gal who saw the woman in the age didn’t need to rely on men.

 

She came out of the bathroom dressed up like a SWAT team member, she didn’t like wearing these types of clothing but for now, she had to.

 

They loaded up the bags in the trunk of Hakeem’s car, a Ryundai Tucson, an SUV that was perfect for their hunting trip. It was even black in color matching perfectly with their tactical clothes.

 

“Before we go, let's do a check-up,” said Jason.

 

They went through their things once more and after confirming everything was ready, the hit the road. Not to mention, Jason passed on the responsibility of telling their parents to Esther. She wasn’t satisfied but seeing she lost rock-paper-scissors, she had to do it.

 

Jason glanced at Esther and judging how she distanced herself from the phone, their mother must be furious over their sudden camping trip. But for a prodigious student like Esther, she was quick to calm down their mother. It went smoothly as their SUV drove on the highway heading to the monster-infested city of Peterborough.

 

“You guys sure about this?” said Hakeem.

 

“You’re chickening out?” Jason asked.

 

“No, but we’re going to the danger zone here. I just can’t help but be worry,” said Hakeem.

 

“He just worried he can’t be a proper tank,” Esther chipped in.

 

“Esther!” said Hakeem.

 

“What? You’re the one who told me we should have proper roles according to our abilities,” said Esther.

 

“Relax you two, to begin with, there’s no reason to classify yourself like that not until you reach level twenty,” said Jason.

 

“Level twenty? Why level twenty?” Esther asked.

 

Hakeem who was driving the car stared at Jason with his eyes wide open.

 

“You mean? You’ve got a job?” he asked with the tone of his voice raised by a notch. “Why didn’t you tell us this?”

 

“As I said, just relax. You guys are still far from reaching that level, it’s best to concentrate on what you have,” said Jason.

 

“You’re really a cheat, don’t you think?” said Esther.

 

“Say that back to me when you survive New York without dying,” he fired back.

 

True to his words, although he gained a few advantages yet he did go through a lot of hell before being able to be this relaxed.

 

“Just be glad, I’m here you watch your backs. Unlike those other daredevils trying to be an Awaken, me being here will at least make you pretty safe,” said Jason.

 

Over the course of a few days, a few reckless teens and adults tried to seek their fortune in becoming an Awaken. They trespassed through the land of monsters and hoping to be like the one shown on the TV but unfortunately for them, they misjudged their own capabilities.

 

Most wounded up dead as they didn’t know that monsters too had level. Bryce and Moretti fighting against a pack of wolves which was under level ten were quite a fortune for them. If they met a stronger monster than those wolves than they wouldn’t be alive.

 

Two hours on the road, they finally saw the city from afar. Jason pointed at Hakeem to went off-road. The SUV bounced every now and then as then went into the trees. They parked the car under the guise of the forest. Rather than leaving the car out in the open, they chose to hide it from plain sight.

 

The sun was begging to set and they got out of the SUV. Jason carried most of the bags while the rest divided between Esther and Hakeem.

 

Jason glanced at Hakeem who wielded the iron mace in his right hand while his left hand wielded the tactical shield. From the look of it, he definitely took the role of a tank. Then he glanced at Esther who sheathed back the two combat knives, courtesy from Toronto’s Police Tactical Division. Her ability was somewhat unique in a sense and the combat knives did complement it.

 

For him on the other hand, he got his bow ready with two waist quivers fully loaded. They were a few other bunches of stuff he had but for now, he would mainly rely on this bow gifted by the Scarlet Battle Maiden herself, well she was forced to out of obligation but that didn’t matter for Jason.

 

“Okay guys, let’s rollout.”

 

69