Chapter 146
1.4k 2 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 “Why are we doing this again?” a grumbling voice coming from a four-man group. They landed on the mainland as it was bright daylight with the green trees filled their sight. 
 
“Shut up, Nuniq. Your obnoxious voice might alert the monsters,” Tapeesa said. The glare coming from a sister was no doubt irritating to a teenage boy.
 
Jason led the group as they embarked on uncharted land. Well, to be more precise, it was Darlington Provincial Park. But looking at its current state, it definitely looked like a forest that might hide a few monsters or two.
 
“Be wary, Mr.Park. The monsters that roam these lands are not something to be trifle with,” said Arrluk.
 
“Stronger than the orcs?” he asked.
 
Arrluk nodded as his eyes shifted at the silent trees. He was cautious as ever, befitting his title as a grandfather. But the two bickering younglings betrayed his grandfather's expectation of them.
 
“Keep quiet, you two!” Arrluk roared as the two teenagers shut their lips. They knew well not to get on their grandfather's bad side. Jason, on the other hand, had a deadpan expression plastered across his face. 
 
I’m not feeling good with these people.
 
What Arrluk did was the opposite of maintaining absolute silence. Roaring with that loud voice only served like a beacon for their current whereabouts to whatever that inhabited this provincial park.
 
Jason sighed with his head down. He wanted to scout the area of Oshawa City, to see the aftermath of the missile launch. But these three were vehement in following him. To be fair, it was the granddaughter that was the main problem. For some reason, she insisted on tagging along with Jason. Due to that, the other two were forced to go.
 
“We’ll travel through the lakeshore,” said Jason.
 
“You’re not the boss of me,” said Nuniq. “I’m only following grandpa-”
 
“I agree. It’s a safer route,” said Arrluk. The headstrong Nuniq was shut down by his own kin, and it only left a bitter taste.
 
Jason ignored the kid as he took the lead, sprinting through the shores. The other three followed, with Nuniq and Arrluk at the far end of the line. Tapeesa was right behind Jason as she tried her best in keeping up with Jason’s speed. In truth, Jason kept his speed down a notch as he didn’t want to leave these fellows behind his dust.
 
“Your sister is too far ahead. She should stay closer to us,” said Arrluk.
 
Nuniq didn’t say a word as he just glared at his sister from the back. He knew why, but it was better to keep his mouth shut. They ran as they reached McLaughlin Bay. The water of the bay was calm, unlike the subtle waves from Ontario Lake. 
 
Jason, who kept running, felt a bad feeling about something. 
 
“To your right!” Arrluk’s voice resounded from behind.
Jason turned to his right. He heard it, the sudden rustling noises of the trees. Then, he saw it. A black figure leaped from the cover of trees as a huge paw came swiping at him.
 
Sands of the shore burst upwards, like a geyser blowing up from the ground. The curtain of sand covered Tapeesa’s sight from seeing what had happened to Jason. Her eyes quivered, knowing who it was that attacked them.
 
“Black Bear,” said Tapeesa. 
 
“Tapeesa! Retreat!” Arrluk shouted.
 
Tapeesa turned around, readied to flee away. But the thought of Jason made her glanced back. The sands dropped on the shore as the full size of the black bear was visible for her to see.
 
It was big, unlike the bear in this world. Its length was no less than twelve feet, and if it stood up on its two hind legs, its size would no doubt triumphed over the humans. 
Jason was not in her sight as if he vanished from the face of the earth. In turn, the huge black bear turned its attention to the closest prey it could see.
 
“Oh, no.” 
 
Tapeesa made eye contact with the black bear as she burst into a sprint. The huge black bear gave chase with its four legs. She gave her best, but the black bear was no slouch. It might appear heavy, but it got speed that one couldn’t imagine.
 
“Run!” Arrluk shouted as he ran his best.
 
“Shit. I’ve said it. I knew this going to be a bad idea,” Nuniq complained, but he ran to his fullest. The huge black bear closed the distance as its large stride gave a huge advantage. The black bear winded up its paw, as another strike was coming. 
 
“... fury,” a subtle voice, heard by only the owner.
 
Three bluish streaks of lightning struck the bear right at the back. The smell of burnt fur lingered as the huge paw stopped in mid-air. An opportunity for Tapeesa as she fled away.
 
But a figure of a person stood right behind the bear as his eyes glanced at a floating screen.
 

Black Arrow Bear

A predator that lives within the thick coniferous forest. It eats those who are weaker as it rules the forest floor. The prominent whitish arrow mark on its forehead is the reason for its name. Yet it cowers upon a stronger being.   

Species: Mammal

Level : 35

S.Ability : Thick Fur.

 

 
“Thirty-five? It’s been a while since I fought something stronger,” said Jason. 
 
Two swords emerged as he held it in his hands. The grin on his face betrayed his initial intention of getting to Oshawa. The Black Arrow Bear sniffed a certain smell, prompting it to turn back.
 
The sight of a man wielding two swords made the bear roared to its fullest capability. As if it was instinct, it knew Jason was the one who ambushed it. A standoff between two mammals. A man and a bear. They stared at one another that lasted for a second, as the Black Arrow Bear made the first move.
 
It pounced with its huge body, lunging forward with its two paws slashing at the unmovable man. Jason ducked and rolled. His whole being vanished from sight. The bear missed, and a loud roar rang in the air.
 
Blood trickled down as the Black Arrow Bear glared at Jason, who stood with only one sword in his hand. He pierced it. Jason managed to pierce the thick fur of the Black Arrow Bear. A sword embedded deep into the lower body of the bear. 
 
“I’ve got to get that sword back since it’s the only rare-grade sword I have,” said Jason as he took out a battle axe. The ignored defense of the sword showed its worth but not having it in his grasp felt odd.
 
The Black Arrow Bear glared at Jason. For the first time since stepping into this strange forest, it was a first for it to be injured to this extent.
 
An overbearing but coward creature. Yet it feral pride flared up, determined to stand its ground over the human that injured it.
 
A guttural growl as the Black Arrow Bear prepared itself. A sword in its body wasn’t enough to hinder it down.
 
The three people came closer as they stood side by side with Jason.
 
“We’re here to help,” said Tapeesa with an energy boomerang resonating in her hand.
 
“Humph, you’re the one who needs help,” said Nuniq as a silhouette of a bear floated on top of him. 
 
“The bear is strong,” Arrluk said as the rod was raised up high.
 
“Stronger than the pig leader?” Jason asked.
 
“The Orc leader?” Arrluk snickered as he shook his head side to side. He fought a Black Arrow Bear before, and he won with difficulty, but the Orc Chieftain was a different story. 
 
“Just stay here,” Jason said as he stepped forward with slow steps.
 
“I’m going to take it down alone.”
 
A bold decision as Jason’s body covered by a gentle wind.
38