S2 RE:volt! Chapter 3: Hit List
46 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

S2 RE:volt! Chapter 3: Hit List

 

Standing on a hill watching as the rest of the Belfroet army took off, Ark let out a sigh, the setting sun casted its shadow over the plains that had been filled with heavily armored soldiers just hours prior. 

“I’m surprised you accepted his job.” Felone said, standing beside Ark with a map in his hands. “It doesn’t pay much.”

“It's scenic, a little aways from the rest of the fighting.” Ark replied, turning his head to his band of mercenaries gathered around the Medic telling stories beside a fire. “Plus they could use the rest. I hear that Ostengaur has nice saunas and a large library. It would be a good place to immerse ourselves in. How much did we make away with?”

“HmM. Thirty-eight thousand total, bringing us to about forty-nine thousand credits. Commander Zeltoy instructed the Prior to double the signaculum rewards, giving us a hefty amount.” Felone reported, the man scratching his chin. “Are you sure you don’t want to reconsider the commander’s offer?”

Ark sighed before rolling up his map and leaning onto a nearby tree, turning his head toward the fort that was nearly unmanned. A skeleton crew to claim the structure.

“No. If we tie ourselves to the Belfroets we’d lose our autonomy. Better we pick the battles we know we can win rather than going all in on an army that may or may not suceed.” Ark said, drawing an odd look from Felone.

“What? Do you think they’ll lose?”

“I can’t say for sure. All I know is that Zeltoy is eager, too eager to obtain fame and glory. I’ve heard his men speak about the words he spouts. About beating the other cavalry units as if this fiasco of murder as if it were a game.” Ark said, crinkling his eyes that reflected the still glowing embers of a battlefield. “A man like that is dangerous, not only to himself but to his men. Even this blitz we’ve been in has been to satisfy his greed.”

“I wasn’t aware you hated the man.” 

“I don’t. He’s probably a good man, and he maintains order and discipline. I’m just pointing out a fatal flaw. One I’m hoping that doesn’t get him killed.” Ark sighed. 

“Loyd.” Felone suddenly said, the old man staring at Ark. “Who are you really?”

Ark took a breath, his eyes shifting to hold Felone’s gaze.

“Nobody.” Ark replied, walking off to join their client telling Alice and the others about mana.

***

Under the glow of the stars and heat of a campfire, Alice and the other former slaves sat on the cold grass, the members of Nobodies listening intently to their client.

“Mana, ether, Ki, Qi, it goes by many names depending on where you go, but it is the essence of all things. Blood, water, air, the very ground we sit upon. You, me. This energy is permeated in all things both positive and negative.” Marcus replied, the man peeling an apple to roast over the flame.

“I see.” Alice said, listening intently as per Ark’s orders. “So in essence, everything is made of mana.”

“Yes. By understanding this energy, we can use our bodies as a catalyst to achieve tremendous effects like strengthening our bodies, healing, or even… command the elements.” the medic said, his eyes staring at the flames. “Mgarni.”

At the foreign word, the flames around the fire began to move, shift until it changed color and increased in temperature, sending the gathered former slaves into a state of awe.

“Every being is born with the innate ability to store mana. Some positive, others negative. But not everyone can use it.” Marcus continued, explaining about mana cores.

Ark stood beside a tree and listened, information he already knew but things that were fascinating to the group of seventeen to eighteen year olds who were like his own kids.

Noticing the red-haired man standing in the shadows, Alice looked at Ark and smiled, beckoning him over.

Ark shook his head, he had work to do.

Walking off into the forest, he conjured spark, using one of the few remaining cantrips he possessed to light a gathering of leaves and twigs.

He took out his map, eyeing the item he had bought off of a Belfroet officer. 

It had cost a thousand creds and was way overpriced, but for Ark. It was invaluable. 

The map held an image of the Empire with various cities, ports, and areas that Ark was vaguely familiar with that were circled.

The Derguss Mountain Range. Home of the giants.

Garden Rock, a place flush with mana that had apparently become a city. 

Sarcean Port, a harbor at the end of a long stretch of river that was Roland's former home. 

Catachan Ruins. Where Jasper learned to break to the higher tier of magic.

Eolfiemhiem, hidden city of the elves now ruins. But home to Gesparda, the forge of the Elves where Gae Bolg was forged.

And Lorgrain, Ark's hometown, well, the mining town where he was first trained in the way of the warrior as a combat thrall and had met Liana.

These places, just some of many that were areas of wealth, power, and items left behind by Ark and his gang during their travels.

There was so much to do, so much to re-explore, all which would be pivotal to his re-emergence.

But to visit these places, he needed money and power.

Hm. Irelix let out, the dragon eyeing the capital of Lunacrypt, her former home that was now the heart of Roland's rule.

The central axis of the Empire.

Their end target.

Ark took a breath, rolling the map up and tucking it inside his tunic as leaves crunched behind him. 

He was only a red core, one that was at the cusp of evolving but he would need more time. Time away to recondense his mana and breakthrough to orange tier from his neglect of his core these last two weeks. 

His mana circuits were strengthening, but his core was falling behind with each battle, the total energy accumulated inside being less and less.

“Why aren't you with the others?” Ark asked, turning his head towards Seventeen in her bloodstained maid outfit. Unlike the others who had found better clothes and armors, Seventeen kept a hold of her outfit, refusing to ditch it and wearing it between battles.

The blonde girl shrugged before taking a seat beside Ark in the grass.

 

“Bored.”

“Bored?” Ark blinked, “You should be listening to the lesson, paying attention, learning. This may be the only opportunity you'd get learning about magic.”

“Eh, it's whatever. It gives me a headache.” Seventeen said, plucking at the grass. 

Ark pinched the bridge of his nose. 

“It doesn't matter if it gives you a headache, it's good for you.” Ark replied, the girl pouting.

“But I wanna hang out with you.” Seventeen crossed her arms.

“For what? I'm not doing anything.”

“I don't know. Maybe I just like your company.” Seventeen said, poking Ark on the cheek.

“Yes, well you need to study. Go back and pay attention.” Ark said, furrowing his brow as the pair sat in silence for a bit.

“Tsk, fine.” Seventeen pouted, walking off annoyed as Ark shook his head. 

Must be that stage or something. Ark sighed to himself before sitting and staring at the flame.

 

[Quest Log]

[Recover Spells Three Times: 2/3]

 

Ark opened his menu, eyeing the quest. Forty-three lives. Roughly about twenty per slot. That's how many it took to recover an expanded spell slot. 

Forty three humans Ark had cleaved his way through during the last three skirmishes to get his quest objective to what it was.

Ark took no pride in what he'd done. While he wasn't opposed to taking lives and ending scum like Manfry, fighting and killing other humans for the sake of land was… odd. 

 

In Ark's time there were the occasional bandit, highwayman, or corrupt Lord and skirmish. But never anything at this scale. At least not that Ark took part in. 

Back then everyone was too busy fleeing the dragon's or being attacked by monsters. It was humanity versus the tyrants, the nightmares, and the beasts. The oppressors. Of course, they weren’t alone in their struggle, elves, giants, beastfolk, and halfbreeds had joined in too, taking a stand against the tide of darkness. 

But without a foe to unite them, the world fractured, leading to this… mess.

“The weight of life is worth little more than ten credits.” Ark muttered to himself, staring out into the distance as he took out a wooden tab. One that had been pierced by a blade, its inscription scratched out and unable to be turned in for credits. 

You’re such a hypocrite.

What?

You heard me the first time monkey. Irelix commented, the woman manifesting to lean on a nearby tree, the dragon filing away at her talons.

“Heh, how so?” Ark said aloud, his eyes downcast as he watched the flames of his campfire twist and turn. His hands clasped together.

You act so melancholy about reaping lives and complain about the triviality of glory, yet have no problem as long as you get paid. Don’t you think you’re being dramatic?

Ark took a breath.

“Possibly…” Ark said, his brow furrowed as he placed his hand over the fire, the heat licking his skin but causing no damage thanks to his draconic constitution.

Ark stood up, kicking the fire out. 

“But just because I do it doesn’t mean I like it. I still feel better killing dragons than humans.”

Irelix scoffed, rolling her eyes before she turned and disappeared.

4