S2 RE:volt! Chapter 4: Night Before
255 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

S2 RE:volt! Chapter 4: Night Before

 

In the embrace of shrubbery shrouded in darkness, Ark kept watch as the others turned, sitting cross legged beside the smoldering embers of the campfire, his enhanced vision picking up everything in the night unseen by normal human eyes.

Satisfied that everyone was asleep in their bedrolls, he cycled his mana freely, allowing the energy to flow through his circuits. First through his dual cores, then the rest of his body. Allowing the energy to cultivate and strengthen his body.

Ark took a breath, feeling the tingle of magic flow beneath his warm skin and something more. Something innate, a familiar desire to dominate as well as to kill. The needs of his draconic self.

Looking down at his skin, he could see it glowing, a faint light in the shape of dragon scales that radiated steam. The telltale signs he was no longer human.

Irelix… when I breakthrough, what will happen since I have dual cores? Ark asked, closing his eyes, envisioning his churning red orbs that were at the cusp of turning orange.

You'll explode.

What?!

Kidding.

Be helpful. Ark hissed as a pain shot through his body.

 

Once you begin the process of improving your capacity, your cores WILL explode. Unlike a monkey's core, ours is more efficient. Stronger, with a higher capacity despite the color. So there's much more feedback.

That's… good to know. How much will it hurt?

Ha.

Ark frowned. That bad huh…

Honestly it's one of the few things I have to look forward to. You have a ways off, but a couple of days you'll be orange. Weeks, you'll be yellow. Of course this is dependent on you accumulating mana.

So. I need to rest.

 

In a manner of speaking. But you need money. So I doubt you'll rest easily. 

You're right. Ark sighed, letting out a breath of air that was more akin to steam.

So what do you intend to do?

 

Ostengaur has a guild office. I'll see about hunting monsters instead of humans for a change. Sight see. Make contacts. Get my bearings.

Ark turned his head to the sleeping members of his company. 

Be good for them to see a real city. And I'm curious what modern day humanity looks like. 

Hmm. I do hope you don't forget your mission amidst all this babysitting and tourism.

I haven't… but a good assassin is one that's prepared. Ark replied, using the words of his former friend Stya as he took a breath before he eyed the sleeping client turned on his side. 

Well, the man pretending to sleep. 

Ark could see the man's breathing rhythm had changed, Marcus pretending to sleep. No doubt woken up by Ark's mana. 

“Mr. Marcus. Let's talk.” Ark said, causing the man to jolt. It was subtle, barely noticeable, but to Ark's discernable eye he saw it. 

A moment passed, the man still pretending.

“Cut the shit, I know you're awake.”

Another few seconds went before the man turned over in his sleeping rug, facing Ark. 

“Who taught you?” The scrawny man suddenly asked, staring at Ark. 

“Why's it matter?” Ark replied, observing the man who rose to sit upright.

“Because I've never seen anyone use magic and body strengthening before, let alone at the same time. And I'm curious how a… boy has managed to do both.” Marcus said, squinting at the teen barely visible under the moonlight.

“Oh? How do you know I can use body strengthening?” Ark asked, after all, he seldom revealed his arts unless it was to ambush his prey.

“Because I've seen thine actions with thy own eyes. On the wall I was there.” Marcus said as Ark took a seat on a wooden log. “The only one I've ever heard of outside of the Imperial Praetorians.”

“Hm. Is that so?” Ark said, staring at the man. “Tell me more about these Imperial Praetorians.”

“You don't know? Everyone knows about the Imperial Praetorians. Even slav-”

“Humor me.” Ark interjected. 

“Right. Pardon my transgression. The Imperial Praetorians are women serving at the foot of our Lord Roland's throne. They wield the powers of both knight and mage. Commanders under the training of General Xon that operate from the capital.”

“Interesting…” Ark muttered, valuable news to him. So Roland has mutts. Any idea how they are using mana and magic?

Hm. If what your Jasper said is true. And he's used my remains to alchemize a way to obtain a dragon's power. Who's to say he hasn't spread that information to his retainers? Irelix said, sharing her theory, a good point.

“So how are you able to do it?” The man asked, a hint of genuine curiosity in his voice. Too much curiosity.

“I just can. One day I was just able to.” Ark replied, dodging the question and realizing he'd made a mistake when displaying his magic to coerhorce the man to teach the others.

Marcus went wide-eyed, his mouth slightly ajar. He had heard about geniuses, people that were naturally able to become mages, to become knights. Was this what genius was? Was the boy before him a fabled one?

 

“But enough about me, let's talk about you. This organization called Medics. I'm interested in its inception.” Ark continued.

At the question, Marcus lit up, a topic he was more than willing to talk about to the teen who could be a potential recruit.

Marcus immediately went on a spewl, talking about the medics being created by the Church of Roland. How they were protected both by law and grace from the emperor himself. How their mission was to heal and offer aid to all citizens of the empire as a form of healthcare. 

An interesting concept, at least to Ark.

And to those who aimed to become medics, to seek a better life of helping others, the Medics offered magic aptitude testing. 

Ark scratched his chin, listening to the man speak with a certain fevor, one that was accustomed to zealots. Before long, Morgana was waking up, the girl preparing to take watch. 

She groggily wobbled to her feet, walking over to Ark to plop down on the log he sat on with her head leaning on his shoulder.

“You can go back to sleep if you want. I can keep watch.” Ark replied, not tired at all. As time seemed to progress, he needed less and less sleep.

“Hmn. Shuddap. I'm awake.” Morgana moaned, half asleep as Ark’s hand reached up and ruffled her short red hair. “Mmmh. I'm awake.” 

Before long, the girl was laying in his lap and back asleep. 

“So. If they show aptitude, would you take them in?” Ark asked, nodding towards his sleeping companions.

“Even without it, we are an organization that supersedes borders.” Marcus explained, his eyes taking on the look of a predator as he eyed Ark, the one word running in his mind was that Ark was a… Genius. “There are many roles within the medics. And all nations recognize our value. If they wish to do good, wish to help. Our doors are opened.”

“I see.” Ark said, stroking Morgan's hair. “And if someone wanted to leave?”

Marcus blinked, scratching the back of his neck. 

“Well, we don't typically get walkouts, but we don't force a contract on anyone unless they want to learn our secret techniques and spells unique to our organization.” Marcus replied. “If you're interested, I would love to give you a tour!”

“Hm.” Ark replied, looking down at Morgana. “I'll think about it.”

 

****

After packing up their camp, doing morning exercises, and staring at a map, Ark and his gang were back on the road, walking through a path in the forest that would take them to Ostengaur.

On the road, Ark walked in lock step with Felone behind their group, the old man guiding his deerling that was laden with their bedrolls, cooking utensils, and bits of armor.

Ark watched the group closely, his companions listening and talking with the Medic who was telling them tales about the city and it's attractions.

“Felone. Before we get into the city, perhaps a lesson on city etiquette is in order. This will be the first time they've been in a city, let alone near people who aren't slaves or soldiers.” Ark said.

Felone took a moment before he shared his thoughts.

“I was thinking something similar for you all but it's good to see we're on the same page.” Felone said, his eyes darting over to Ark and seizing the boy up. A look of suspicion behind his eyes. 

“Good. We'll organize a tour, set some guidelines, rules. Don't want Morgana getting into a fight or Axel stealing something and having his hands chopped off.” Ark continued, scanning the surrounding woodland.

“I was thinking we'd give them an allowance, teach them about spending currency.”

“I agree.” Ark said, narrowing his eyes at the bushes where leaves were snapped, spotting boot marks leading into the woods.

Fresh marks.

“Maybe see about getting you some armor instead of the rags you insist on wearing.” 

“I'm fine. Better to use the money to buy them more armaments. Food, or candy.” Ark said, his eyes still on the treeline as they walked.

“Quite noble of you kid. But nobility won't stop a blade from piercing your skin. I'd sleep a lot better knowing you were at least wearing protection.” Felone argued. “We've got some funds, I can see about finding a smith, maybe trade in some of the armors we scavenged.”

“It warms my heart to know you care so much about me old man.” Ark said, getting a scowl from Felone.

“Care? I'm just protecting my bottom line ya runt. If you go getting a sword in your gut-” Felone began before he blinked, staring at the quivering arrow that was an inch away from his face. An arrow held firmly in Ark's hand.

“AMBUSH!” Ark yelled as several men suddenly charged from the bushes.

3