Tale of Rainbow Memories: The Wolf Girl and the Cursed Witch (Part 6)
719 0 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Year 284 of the Imperial Calendar
Youthful Morning’s Day, Manaweek, Second Month of Summer
Central Lafria, Highway road north of the Hollow

“They’re still following us.”
“They are.”
“They’re not even trying to hide, eh?”
“They aren’t.”
“Damn parasites.”

I spat out a curse as I looked behind us on the road. A merchant’s caravan was setting up camp some ways from us, preparing for the night.

“Does something like this happen often, Captain? I don’t remember something like this happening before…”

The Priest Maiden who was standing beside me asked with a look of confusion.

“Fortunately not. Most merchant caravans hire their own guards. The only ones who can’t afford to do that are usually small-time peddlers. We had a few of them before you joined us but since then, this is indeed the first one.”
“I see.”

She nodded in understanding before posing her next question.

“But why do they do that?“
“They’re too stingy to hire guards. Simple as that. A large armed group is less likely to be attacked. Bandits have no way of knowing if we’re hired help or not, so they don’t bother. Unless they’re especially dumb… or desperate.”

I sighed, watching the caravan. They had started a fire and were likely busy making their dinner now.

“Peddlers sometimes follow mercenaries or large caravans, but they also greet you and ask if they can travel together with us. They also usually offer their wares to us, so it’s no skin of our back to agree.”
“I haven’t seen anyone from that caravan coming here to greet us or offer anything.”
“Yeah, they’re not even bothering. Can’t even spare some basic courtesy.”

It was clear that they were just using us.

“But there’s nothing we can do. Even if we confront them about it, they’ll just say that it’s a coincidence and that they just so happen to travel in the same direction.”
“So that’s why everyone is so annoyed.”
“Yeah. They’re disrespectful and you can’t say anything to them. At the very least, in the unlikely case there is an attack, we won’t have to help them.”

Though I said that, I’ve never seen that happening. No monster or bandits would attack a group of this size.

“Mmm…”

The Priest Maiden frowned when I mentioned that we wouldn’t help them.

“I can’t fault you but… I can’t say I very much like that.”
“Neither do we.”

Many of us were former knights. It had been part of our job to protect people and it was hard to shake of that instinct, even now. But if we did help them, we would just get taken advantage of.

“It’d be just so much simpler if they just hired guards, or at the very least asked if we could travel together.”

Alas, I couldn’t tell strangers what to do.

I turned around, looking for a certain someone among my men.

“Griess!”

A moment later, the man I called upon rushed over to us.

“Yes, Captain?”
“Take some men and set up a night watch. Make sure we also have someone watching them at all times.”
“Those merchants? Are they doing something?”
“No. At least, not yet… How do I say it…”

I glanced back at the caravan.

“I’ve got a bad feeling about them. If they make any moves, inform me immediately. Even if it’s in the middle of the night.”
“Got it, Captain!”
“Mm. I’ll leave it to you.”

After saluting to me, he turned around, calling for a few men to set up a watch.

“Isn’t that a little much, Captain?”
“Maybe. But better safe than sorry.”

If it turned out to be nothing, then it was just fine. In fact, that was the better result.

“Let’s leave them be for now. We’ll watch what they’re doing and if they do something troublesome, we’ll deal with it when the time comes.”

The day was nearing the end and everyone was exhausted. As long as we had someone watching them, that was good enough.

I threw a last glance at the merchant caravan and then turned around.

“Let’s go back. I need a drink…”
“Drinking too much is not good for your health, Captain.”
“Eh, leave me the small pleasures in life. It’s not like I’m planning on getting drunk.”

Just a drink to ease the nerves. It helped wonders.

“You could join us once in a while, you know?”
“Mmm… I wouldn’t mind if it was just occasionally but…”
“Mm?”

I glanced back when the Priest Maiden paused her sentence. She was looking at something, a little away from the group. A small, familiar frame. Lily, who was currently playing with young Boarson, Wendl’s apprentice. Slowly but surely, she got more familiar with the people in the camp.

“I’d rather not leave her alone for too long.”
“She’s not exactly alone. Everyone’s keeping an eye out for her.”
“I know but… I simply want to be at her side.”
“Hmm…”

Well, if that’s what she wanted to do, then it couldn’t be helped.

“Then, I guess I’ll have to tell them that they’ll have to make do without us for today.”
“Huh?”

The Priest Maiden turned to look at me, surprise in her eyes.

“What?”
“... Nothing. Hehe.”

She chuckled, smiling at me.

“Thank you, Johnson.”
“Hm.”

Seriously, what’s there to thank me for?

“Come, let’s not leave her waiting for too long.”
“Yes, yes.”

She was still chuckling as she followed behind me.

When we got closer, Lily and Boarson noticed us.

“Mama! Papa!”

And barely a second later she rushed over to us, jumping into the Priest Maiden’s arms.

“Woah, there! Sorry that you had to wait for us. Did you play nice with Boarson?”
“Mm! I was good!”
“That’s great! Good girl.”
“Ehehehe!”

The Priest Maiden ruffled Lily’s hair, making a whole mess out of it.

“Good job, Boarson.”
“Ah, thank you, Captain!”

The young man scrambled to his feet, saluting. His salute was still awkward but it’d probably get better with the years.

“You can take a break now. Tell your master and the others that we won’t be joining in today.”
“Yes, Captain!”

And with that, he ran off to join the others.

“Nice to be young.”
“My, you’re still young yourself, Captain.”
“Compared to you, we all would be.”
“Wow, that’s quite rude. I’ll have you know, I’m considered quite young for a demonkin!”
“Yes, yes.”

That wouldn’t change that she was quite a bit older than us, though I didn’t know how much exactly.

“Sheesh, so rude. Don’t you agree, Lily? He’s a mean person. One shouldn’t talk about a lady’s age, right?”
“Mhm! Papa’s mean!”
“Right?! So mean!”
“Mean!

Lily nodded with vigour… Though I had my doubts about whether she really understood what we were talking about.

“You two, stop messing around.”
“See, Lily? Such a bad adult that tries to escape. Don’t be like him when you grow up.”
“I won’t!”
“My, what a good girl, what a good girl!”
“Yay!”

The Priest Maiden hugged Lily and lifted her up high, making the little girl squeal in delight. In mere moments, they had already forgotten all about it.

“Seriously…”

What a troublesome bunch.

“Oh, look, your grumpy Papa is smiling.”
“Ohhh!”
“...”

These two…

“You two… really are…”
“Ah, we made him angry! Let’s run!”
“Run! Run!”

And so they ran.

“Haaa…”

I leaned against the wagon, sighing. Really, they loved to mess around. I couldn’t even be all that angry, seeing the smiles on their faces. Rather, seeing them laughing made me happy, even though it was at my cost. How… complicated.

“What a day…”

I glanced up at the sky. The sun at the horizon was dyed a deep red, making way for the night.

“Well then, time to look where the two run off to.”

They’ve gotten a bit of a lead. Just enough that it should remain interesting to look for them.

“What about you? Are you staying there?”

I looked up at the wagon I had been leaning against. Strands of pink hair fell down the sides. I couldn’t really see the person they belonged to but I didn’t have to. There was only one individual with such striking hair.

“Oh my, and here I thought you would just ignore me.”
“I won’t.”

I could already imagine the Priest Maiden’s face if I did that. I’d rather not have it come to that.

“What a conscientious soul you are.”
“Ha! You don’t believe that yourself, do you?”
“Maybe I do?”

As if. We both knew I wasn’t such a good person.

“But alas, I shall remain here and watch a lovely little family. Hehehe.”
“...”

I frowned. What had become of her declaration to become lily’s mother? I couldn’t understand her.

Since the time I confronted her, she had been on her best behaviour. She had helped out around the camp and was generally cordial with pretty much everyone. She played with Lily when everyone else was busy as well.

But apart from that, she was just watching us. Like right now. She even called us a family.

“I don’t understand you.”
“My, that’s quite the sudden declaration. And such a hurtful one.”
“... What are you planning?”
“Planning? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.”
“...”

A giggle came from the roof of the wagon.

“I won’t interfere with you or your lovely wife. I have no intention of doing anything. I’ll leave you alone. My only purpose is to protect Lily.”
“... Really?”
“Yes. I promise.”

A promise, huh? What good was a promise of this girl? Did she really… just abandon her original plan? I couldn’t imagine that.

“Rather than doubting me, shouldn’t you look for your lovely wife and your adorable daughter? They’ll feel lonely if you don’t start looking for them soon.”
“... She’s not my wife. We’re not like that.”
“Yes, yes. Sure. If you say so. Now, hurry up or you’ll really make them cry.”
“Tsk.”

Unfortunately, she was right. I should look for them.

“... I’ll hold you onto your promise.”
“Hehehe, of course.”

I walked away from her, leaving the girl to her skywatching hobby. As long as she kept to her promise, that would be fine but…

Maybe I am just too distrustful.

The Priest Maiden would surely tell me that as well. Since Yumias had mellowed out, the two got along quite a bit better. I should have been glad about that. Yet, I was still doubting the girl. Even now…

Nature’s hard to change…

It was part of my job to doubt people. Maybe I had just gotten too used to it…

I’ll watch her for a while longer. If she keeps to her promise…

That would be for the best.

“Now then, let’s see where the two are.

I stretched my arms and legs, getting ready to chase after them.

‘Lovely wife and adorable daughter,’ huh?

It had… a nice ring to it.

“No good, don’t think about that.”

I shook my head. I had more important things to do now.

After I made sure I was all ready to start the chase, I pushed aside anything unnecessary. For now, I should just enjoy a bit of evening entertainment.

“Now, ready or not. Here I come.”


Year 284 of the Imperial Calendar
Dying Night’s Day, Spiritweek, Second Month of Summer
Central Lafria, North of the Hollow, West of the capital of Larfas

It’s been a bit over two weeks since the day of Yumias’ promise. Our journey to arrive at the capital was slowly coming to an end.

“Soon, huh?”

I stood at the edge of our camp, looking towards the horizon. If we kept pace, we could arrive at Larfas in the day. I should be glad about it yet here I stood, dreading our arrival.

And I wasn’t the only one. The entire band was remarkably quiet today. Gloom and doom hung over everyone.

“And I can’t even fault them.”

After all, our arrival at the capital would mean that our time with Lily was nearing its end.

“Captain.”
“...”
“Captain!”
“Mh? What?”

I turned around, only to find Griess standing there.

“Something the matter?”
“Yes… Well… It’s nothing important but…”
“They’re still there?”
“Yes.”
“Haaa… To think they’d follow us the entire way to Larfas.”

The parasites—Pardon, the merchants—had kept behind us the entire way to Larfas. I wasn’t particularly surprised by that but it still annoyed the life out of me. They hadn’t greeted us even once and they always kept the exact same distance.

“Today’s the last day. We’ll stay in Larfas for a while. I don’t know if that’s their destination as well or if they are continuing east, but they’ll have to find someone else to suck up to.”

The only reason we had to deal with them for so long was because of the Great Traveller. If the great spirit hadn’t blocked the highway, we could’ve gone without the detour. Obviously, merchants had to deal with the same detour…

“Keep watch on them. I know it’s the last day but don’t let down your guard because of that.”
“Understood, Captain.”
“Mm.”

Griess saluted and… I expected him to go and execute his orders, but instead, he kept standing there, looking at me.

“Something else?”
“Well… Captain, are you well?”
“Do I look well?”
“No.”

So I didn’t, huh?

“Then I probably am not well. Now, do your job.”
“Yes, Captain!”

He fixed his salute which had gotten a little sloppy when he relaxed, before running off.

“Not looking well, huh?”

Truthfully, I hadn’t even slept. I was in bed since the Priest Maiden insisted that all three of us should sleep together but I just couldn’t fall asleep. I had my suspicions that it had been the same for the Priest Maiden.

I’ve… gotten attached, after all.

Even though I told myself not to. Even though I knew it wasn’t a good thing. I still had taken a liking to the little girl. Only now, when the inevitable goodbye reared its head, did I really understand that.

I didn’t want this time to end. But it had to. It was best for the girl to stay with her real family. I knew the old crone, she would take good care of Lily for sure.

I took a deep breath, then exhaled it again. I repeated that a few times, steeling myself for the day.

“Let’s get this over with.”

I went back to the others.  Everyone was preparing for our departure with an almost eerie silence. In all my years, this was the first time I had seen them like this.

It really made you understand just how much impact such a small being could have. Most of the men here didn’t know what it meant to have one. They had been knights, married to their loyalty and duty. Then we lost all of that. And then, this small girl came into our life.

But having families while travelling… We’re not like the Dragon Knights, we can’t do that.

Our band was small. If we had a job to do, we would need most of the men, leaving whoever else behind. Considering the danger our job entailed, that simply wasn’t possible. The only solution was, that whoever wanted to build a family, had to leave.

I really envy Korwen sometimes. How old was his daughter again? Fifteen? Sixteen?

It would have been nice to introduce her to Lily. The girl was a little odd but she was a very kind girl. The two would surely get along, even considering the age difference.

But that’s just even more reason we should leave Lily with her parents…

There were no children her age here. Mostly old men and the Priest Maiden. The girl needed others her age in her life.

“This really isn’t easy.”
“Oh, Captain!”
“Mh?”

While I was walking around the camp, watching the men getting ready, someone spotted me and ran over.

“Priest Maiden.”
“I’ve been looking for you.”
“Is that so?”

I looked past the Priest Maiden and behind her.

“Hehe, Lily’s not here right now.”
“...”

The Priest Maiden chuckled, guessing correctly at who I was looking for. Was I that easy to read?

“I see. Did you need something from me?”
“Well, I wouldn’t say that but…”

She paused, staring at me.

“Say, are you feeling unwell?”
“Do I look like I do?”
“Yes, very much so.”
“...”

So, I really looked that bad? Maybe I should get some water and wash my face again if it was so bad that Griess and the Priest Maiden had to point it out. I couldn’t look like that in front of everyone.

“It’s… not easy, is it?” said the Priest Maiden.
“... It isn’t.”

I turned away from her, unable to look into her eyes.

“... Johnson.”

Something warm enveloped my hand and lifted it up. The Priest Maiden had taken my hand and was holding it in front of her forehead, her eyes closed.

“May Magic’s Fortune be with you. Blessings be.”
“... A prayer?”
“A prayer.”
“I see.”

I had never seen her doing this kind of prayer before…

“A prayer… so that you will live a happy life.”
“Happy, eh?”
“Yes, happy.”
“...”

I closed my eyes, ruminating over her words. The grip around my hand strengthened and the Priest Maiden spoke up.

“Johnson, I…”
“Don’t. Not today.”
“... You’re right. Not today.”

She lowered my hand but didn’t let go.

“Then, at least allow me this much.”

She took my hand firmly in hers, like a couple holding hands. She stared at our joined hands for a while before chuckling. A sad chuckle. 

“It’s not easy.”
“Mm. It isn’t.”

It wasn’t. It was hard. Very much so.

“Come. We shouldn’t show our faces like that to Lily.”
“... Johnson?”
“No matter how things will end, we should smile for the girl.”
“... You’re right.”

We still had an entire day ahead of us. To add to that, there was no way to know what exactly would happen in Larfas.

“Then, maybe we should first fix you up?”
“... That might be good.”
“Come. I’ll fix you up.”

The Priest Maiden pulled me behind her. We arrived at the small wagon where her things were.

“Come in. First, you should wash your face.”

She pulled out a small bucket and a water elemental stone. Once she filled the bucket with water, she handed it to me.

“There.”
“Mm. Thanks.”

I splashed the water into my face. It was cold.

“Okay, here, dry it off.”
“No need, it’ll dry off in a bit.”
“No, take this or I can’t continue.”
“Mm?”

Continue? I only had to wash my face, what was there to continue?

“Just do it.”
“Okay…”

I gave in and dried my face with the cloth she handed me.

“Satisfied?”
“Yes. Now, where do I… Ah, there!”
“Mm?”

The Priest Maiden pulled out a small box from between her belongings. I had seen something similar before.

“Priest Maiden, don’t tell me that is…”
“Make-up!”
“... Seriously?”

Some warriors—usually bandits or the tribes in the Wooden Sea—were using war paint so I wasn’t entirely unfamiliar with the topic. But outside of that sole usage, I had only heard of rich women using stuff like this. So, why would she try to use that on me?

“Yes, seriously. Don’t worry, I’ll only make sure to hide those rings under your eyes. I won’t do anything else. Or do you want to make Lily worry?”
“...”

That was unfair.

“I don’t.”
“Good. Hold still.”
“Mm.”

I closed my eyes and let the Priest Maiden do her work. It was… tickling, as she put stuff on my face. Never would I have imagined that things could come to this…

“Okay! Looks good!”
“You’re done?”
“Yes.”

I opened my eyes again. Nothing felt out of place but… I couldn’t help but worry. What did she do? She didn’t actually draw war paint on my face, did she?

“Here, take a look.”
“... A mirror? I didn’t know you had something that expensive.”
“Well, a lady needs her secrets.”

She showed me the mirror so I could look at my face. Sure enough, it was my usual face. The rings under my eyes weren’t anywhere to see. Not that I had seen them before.

“See, everything good again.”
“Impressive. But... was that okay? Isn’t that stuff expensive?”
“Well… It isn’t cheap that’s true. But I rarely have an opportunity to use it while travelling, so I’m glad it has a use today.”
“Is that so? Thank you.”
“You’re welcome.”

Maybe it was worth looking into this. I was never all that fond of war paints, even if you couldn’t deny their effectiveness. However, if you could use it like this as well, that could be useful in its own right. You never knew when exhaustion took you or you had a bad day. If you had to meet someone on that day, this could be surprisingly useful.

“And there is the familiar face again. I see you’re feeling better already.”
“Mh? What?”
“You were thinking about something again, right?”
“Well… It’s nothing important.”

I could consider that some other time. The Priest Maiden probably knew more about this than me so I would have to consult her about that anyway.

“Really?”
“Yes. Come, didn’t we want to go to Lily?”
“Evading the subject, are we? Well, that’s okay. I’ll just put these things away and then we can go.”

The Priest Maiden collected her utensils, returned them to the box and hid the box in her belongings again.

“Okay, let’s go.”

With a grin, she took my hand again in hers and pulled me out of the wagon. She was rather… proactive, today.

“So, where is Lily, is the question…”
“She was helping Wendl earlier.”
“Wendl?”

Our magician, huh? Hopefully, he didn’t do something stupid again. Then again, he was oddly popular with children. I’d never understand why.

“See, there they are already.”

She pointed ahead of us, at the two men watching Lil’ Lily carrying a box. It was quite a large box for a child like her. Yet, she slowly advanced forward, step by step, making her way over to the back of Wendl’s wagon. She struggled a little when she tried to lift it into the back storage but after a while, she managed to push it inside.

“I did it!”
“Mhm, you pass!”
“Good job, Lily!”

Wendl and Boarson applauded her feat, receiving a big smile from the girl.

“Did I do good? Am I helping?”
“You are. You’re a big help.”
“Yay!”

Truthfully, they were probably faster if they were packing things on their own.

“Never expected I’d see Wendl being considerate…”
“Neither did I, Captain. Even he can read the mood once in a while.”

I stared at the Priest Maiden. She was usually someone who tried to stay positive about people.

Wendl, what in the Great Spirits’ name did you do to her?

Alas, something told me I shouldn’t ask her about it.

“Hey, Lily, look who came for you.”
“Huh? Ah! Papa! Mama!”

And there she came running over to us.

“Hey there, Lily. I see you’ve been helping Wendl and Boarson.”
“Mm! I did! Did I do well?”
“Very well.”
“Yay!”

I plopped my hand on her head and gently ruffled her hair. Her big beaming smile, the twitching ears and her swishing tail… It might be the last time I’d have the chance to see this.

In that case…

If it was the last time…

“Hey, Lily.”
“Mhm?”
“You see, we’ll be arriving at a big city today. So, do you want to sit with us at the front, on the bench? The view will surely be great.”
“Huh? Really?” Can I?! Can I?!”
“Yes. If you promise to behave.”
“I will! I promise! I promise!”

She threw up her arms into the air and jumped on the spot, happy at my suggestion. It was a little dangerous on the driver’s bench, so we would need to watch her well. We couldn’t allow our little sunshine to fall off.

“Good, good. I’ll hold you onto that, okay? It’ll be dangerous if you don’t listen to us.”
“I’ll be a good girl! Promise!”

She looked me straight in the eyes, full of expectations. Was I like this when I was a child? I didn’t remember.

“Then, shall we get going!”
“Mm!”

The Priest Maiden and I held out a hand to her, each taking one of her tiny hands into ours. The little girl in our middle beamed from one end to the other.

“Ehehe! The front! Sitting at the front! Hehe!”

Really… Maybe it was hypocritical of me but… somewhere, deep down, I wished we wouldn’t have to give this up… wished that, for whatever reason, she could stay with us. No matter how much I knew that it wasn’t likely to happen.

But, however the outcome will be… I wish this little girl will find her happiness.

A wish that came from heart.

“Hurry! Papa! Mama! Hurry, hurry up!”
“Yes, yes. Coming.”
“Hehe. No need to rush, we won’t run away. Right, ‘Papa.?’”
“Ahh… We won’t.”

We’ll stay by your side, right here, right there.

30