Chapter 18 – Two Homes
507 4 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vertigo washed over me as I set foot into my childhood home. It felt strange to be here again, after five years of intense training at the Academy. Our family Butler, Matthew, caught me by the arm as I wobbled unsteadily on my feet.

“Are you all right Master Lukas?”

When I was first adopted into the family, Matthew had begun his career as my personal butler. We were around the same age, though he’d never told me what his age was. As he caught me by the arm I felt a familiar blush course its way through me. Age had only made him more handsome, and while I knew I should not harbor such thoughts, I indulgently allowed him to help me back to my feet.

“I’m fine, thank you. It’s just… strange to be back here again after so long.”

Matthew took my outer coat, and returned my smile with one of his own.

“In truth, I’ve missed your company all this time. Perhaps later we could indulge ourselves with a glass of wine?”

Having grown up together, it felt odd to consider indulging in drink. I suppose we weren’t children anymore, and the thought of having a private drink with him was certainly enticing. After so long feeling alone at the Academy, company would be nice.

My thoughts were interrupted by a gentle tapping to my shoulder. Looking up in surprise, I saw Matthew with his ocean blue eyes and messy brown hair. My heart skipped a beat.

“Hey, you’re staring off into space again. It’s not good to be wrapped up in your head all the time, you know?”

He knew me so well, and it felt gratifying to be understood once again.

“S-Sorry. It’s good to see you again Matthew, I’ve been away for far too long.”

The young butler smiled, his hand reaching up towards my shoulder again, before he seemed to think better of it and lowered his hand once again.

“Your Uncle is up in the music room, he’s expecting you as soon as you arrive.”

That familiar pit of dread from before opened up once again. I’d been so focused on that fear before that I’d forgotten about my best friend, and loyal butler who I’d been missing for so long.

As I ascended the staircase, I thought on my Uncle and what he must be thinking or feeling. I didn’t think I’d been doing terribly at the Academy. My scholarly pursuits were going well, but I struggled in the martial arts training, and some of the finer components of spellcasting. The application of rote formulas and memorization of words felt arbitrary to me, though I could not put it into words.

I opened the door, and entered my Uncle’s music room. The man was playing his violin, and still unaware of my entrance. As was customary for us, I sat in one of the nearby chairs while I waited for him to finish.

The somber tones of his violin sunk deep inside of me, and I felt a rush of emotions and memories wash over me, bathing me in the nostalgic feelings of my youth. I could tell by the melody being played that he’d been thinking about his wife, who had passed before I entered his custody.

After losing Marriette, the man had never been the same, or at least that’s what I’d been told. In his younger days, he’d been a fierce competitor in the politics of the Empire, and had gathered as many enemies as he had allies. While he still maintained a few key connections, he’d largely shut down after the tragedy.

At the time, my Mother had been working on his estate as a servant, and the same illness that took Marriette took her as well. It would have been easy for him to put me up for adoption in an orphanage, but he’d instead chosen to adopt me into his family.

The somber tones of the violin ceased, and I realized that a tear had fallen from my eye.

How curious.

My Uncle then slowly turned to face me, and his features turned up into a slight smile.

“Welcome home Lukas.”

I swallowed nervously. Why did I feel so nervous?

Slowly, he approached me and studied me carefully.

“You haven’t changed at all.”

I winced. The statement felt like a slight against my lack of progress academically, but also my own… personal growth.

“Have you decided on a name yet?”

A name. I had chosen one for myself, but I didn’t want to share it just yet. It was still a touchy subject between us, and while he was trying his best to be supportive, I didn’t feel ready to open up just yet.

After shaking my head, he shook his head and sighed. “Always so indecisive. You know, this is why I have to make decisions for you.”

There was no argument I could bring against that statement, so I just nodded. I always nodded.

He awkwardly rubbed the back of his head, then placed one of his strong hands on my shoulder. I winced as he entered my space, making his authority over me clear as day.

“I am glad that you are home Lukas, my… daughter.”

The way he forced out that word made my heart swell a bit in response. It wasn’t completely what I wanted, but he was Trying. And it was the first time I’d been regarded as a girl in several years.

“Shall we go down to the parlor for a spot of tea? I’m sure Matthew will be happy to brew it for you once again.”

“Tea sounds lovely right now. The trip from the Academy was a long one.”

He chuckled and clapped me on the shoulder once again, prompting another wince. “If you think that’s a long trip my bo-girl, you should see how long a trip to the Southern Reach can take.”

*

“Approximately three days by train, two weeks by carriage, and three months on foot if I remember correctly.”

I looked up from my storytelling to see Alder walk into the moonlit garden, the old butler looking down at the three of us with a grin on his face. As I returned to the present, I became aware of a soft sensation around me, and gentle touches being applied to my head. Looking around, I saw that I was leaning against the Lady Azalea’s soft body, while Lilia applied gentle pats to my head.

My cheeks burned red in embarrassment, and I ducked my head lower in a vain attempt to hide. The opposite effect occurred, and my gracious hosts only renewed their vigorous assault on my senses with wonderful, amazing pats to my head.

“She’s so stinking cute!” I heard Lilia exclaim.

“She really, really is.” Came the response from Azalea.

How could this happen? How could they adore me this much? I’d bared myself out for them and they were adoring me?

“W-Why…?”

Lilia paused a moment in her pats, and motioned Azalea to stop as well. “Why what, dearie?”

“Why… are you all being so kind to me?” I knew I’d asked it before, but right now, I think I just wanted to hear them re-affirm it.

Lilia looked over to Azalea, and while I could not see Azalea’s face, I could tell they were exchanging smiles, and a nod. The head maid then leaned closer to me, and began to gently stroke my cheek with the back of her hand. My throat tightened around the lump of raw emotion in my throat, and I felt my eyes begin to sting.

“Because we want you, Iris. We think you are the cutest, sweetest girl we’ve met, and we want you to be here with us.”

My proto-ears twitched, and I choked up. More hot tears streamed down my face, and I felt myself rush forward into Lilia on instinct, as my emotions overflowed my sense of being, and I wept against the head maid.

*

I walked down the hallways of my manse, with the cute little Iris in my arms. The poor girl had cried herself to sleep in Lilia’s arms, and now I was carrying her back to bed. I wasn’t sure if it was the result of my Wild Magic coursing its way through my body, or because the girl in my arms was so thin that I found it easy to carry her. We would have to do something about her weight though, and I had a feeling that Lilia would be happy to cook all of the little mage’s favorite foods.

As I opened the door to her room, and set the little cutie down on the bed, I smiled and gently brushed her hair aside, then pulled the covers over her body.

If she wanted to share more of her story later, we would all be open to it of course. But the girl needed her sleep now. As I gazed down at her peaceful sleeping face, I couldn’t help but feel that same strong sense of adoration wash over my body, and I leaned forward to place a gentle kiss on her forehead.

“Sleep well Little Iris.”

Thank you for reading Chapter 18 of Getting Comfortable!

Hard to believe we've come this far. When I first started this project, I thought it would be a relatively short thing, but I just love these characters too much, and want to write and share more stories about them with all of you, my cute readers.

I want you all to know that your patronage of my little series means the world to me. I hope you all continue to enjoy reading it, and that you have the wonderful days that you deserve.

And remember that one day, you'll find the place that you belong.

31