Coffee and Milk – pnnm
201 24 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Coffee and Milk

by pnnm

 

Tags: Cafe, Tragedy

Content warnings:

Spoiler

Implied character death

[collapse]

 


 

Winter is the season where everything just seems to stop. Buildings are covered in white, and people start to bundle themselves in layers of thick clothing. The streets are sparse with pedestrians, roads become empty, its like everything had vanished in an instant.

Dropping temperatures meant dropping customers.

And Asta was left alone in his little cafe, cleaning the tables, checking the stock, waiting for the faithful moment the welcome bell chimed just for a little conversation. Somehow there was always something to do despite the quiet scene in front of him, maybe that was a good thing, it takes his mind off the loneliness.

His ears perked up when he heard the bell ring, turning to the entrance to see an old man, shedding off his snow-covered jacket. He was very quiet, and there was a solemn, sombre air around him. Even so, Asta makes haste to greet him in this empty cafe, finding the man a suitable table for him, waiting to take his order with a notepad in hand. The silence was still so awkward, until that man finally spoke.

His voice was soothing.
It was a nice voice to listen to.

Nevertheless, Asta started to prepare that man’s order.

He specialised in making drinks that not only heated the body, but also warmed the heart. It was important not to burn anything. It was delicate work, watching as the espresso in the glass slowly mixed with the steamed milk, swirling together to blend the unique rich aroma of coffee with the subtle sweetness and lightness of milk. The honeycomb gold top remained, painted with a silky white rose. The flower is difficult to draw with just milk foam, but Asta is more than skilled enough to attempt such artwork.

The Latte is no less complex than the cappuccino or flat white, but holds a stable balance in flavours compared to each drink. It’s a drink that’s on the sweeter, milkier side, yet fused with the richness and slight bitterness of the coffee.

Asta set down the Latte on the man’s table.

“Is there anything on your mind? Shall I listen to your worries and woes?”

Asta kept his eyes on that man, whose heavy eyes looked back up at the young-looking barista. Taking his coffee in hand, he gestured for Asta to sit in the seat opposing him. Then, he asked a strange yet so common question.

“Have you ever fallen in love before?”

Asta couldn’t answer.
The man continued.

“…I fell in love one day. I think it was destiny, fate or whatever you could call it.”

 


 

We met by accident, he mixed up his laptop with mine. He was a bitter individual, someone who I thought I’d never get along with.

As we continued to meet under coincidences, we eventually got to know each other. Maybe fate was trying to push us together even then.

Being young and fearless idiots that had just become adults, we had similar mentalities when it came to life, just different ways of handling it. He was sharp and closed off, but he had a complex character beneath that layer, it took me so long to understand him as a person. But I think getting mixed up in each other’s lives was perhaps one of the best things that had ever happened.

I think I knew I’d loved him when we shared a drink together. I hated anything bitter, but I remember having his coffee as a joke. I remember that cup of coffee tasting sweeter than any candy I liked back then.

I think he knew I’d loved him when we kissed under the shifting autumn trees on campus. Time seemed to stop at that moment, even though the winds were getting colder, I felt so warm holding him close to me. I loved his slight smile that always looked more like a devious smirk.

We knew we truly loved each other when we got matching earrings. Every little thing he did was filled with his love for me, I did my best to give that love back. He would hold my hand, saying he’d just keep them warm as an excuse to hold them. He’d sneak kisses every now and then.

We knew we would keep loving each other forever when we got married. Gods above, I knew I’d never stop loving him even if he was gone.

 


 

“You’re a very devoted husband.”

Asta had a smile on his face. The man laughed.

“I’d like to think so.”

“…Then, sir, what makes you so sombre on this clear winter morning?”

Those clouded eyes, it was like rain was pouring in that man’s heart.
Asta couldn’t imagine how much pain that customer was going through.

“…He left me on this day, so many years ago.”

But that gentleman had a small smile on his face.

“I wonder if I’ll meet him soon, my bones are growing old and my heart is slowing down. Even if I’ve aged like spoiled milk. If I could still love him even after so long, I’m certain he’d still love me after waiting so long.”

“I’m sure he’d be filled with joy to be meeting his husband again after so long.”

The coffee is finished, and so was their conversation.
Asta stands up and begins to tidy the table. 

When the man opens his wallet, Asta stops him from even taking out a single bill.

“Sir, it’s alright, I don’t need the money.”

“…How could I not pay a kind worker who listened to a love story from an old man?”

Asta smiles.

“I’ve already been paid by your story, you possess a wonderful love. Besides, someone’s waiting for you outside, I think you shouldn’t keep them out for so long.”

The old man looks over in confusion, seeing a younger man wave at him.
With a gasp of disbelief, he suddenly stands from his seat.
Tears pour from his eyes, slowly walking over to that figure giving him a familiar smile, one that looked more like a devious smirk.
He exits the cafe, the bell ringing as the door closes.

From inside the cafe, cleaning the Latte glass, Asta could see two young lovers finally reunited within each other’s embrace once more. Enduring the winds, they walk off together, holding each other’s hearts close.

Winter is the season where everything just seems to stop.
But Asta’s work continues on, like nothing had vanished in the first place.

 


 

Author's Account:

pnnm

 

 

10