Chapter 59: The Young Master said some Hard truths
50 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the excitement waned, Asher felt the weight of exhaustion settling in his mind. He sighed internally, aware of his mental capacity running low.

As soon as he put the pills away, Xinyue asked her a question. "So when are you going to teach me skills?" Her eyes sparkled with anticipation.

Asher's brows furrowed slightly as he pondered her question, mentally calculating the timeframe he had to work with. Asher asked his own question in return, "When will you get the system?"

Xinyue hesitated for a moment, her expression shifting. "At least a few more months. We are still negotiating the terms with Rosewood. Maybe before the du…" Her words trailed off abruptly, her lips pressed together.

Asher's curiosity was piqued, but the pull of exhaustion was stronger. With a weary sigh, he pushed aside his curiosity and focused on her. 

"Soon, I guess. But why would you want to know about the system?" she asked after a moment, confusion clouding her features. 

But this time, Asher was confused by her answer. "How else will I teach you a skill without a system?" 

"Bu- but then how will I use it before getting the system? What about all the advantages of being a cultivator? Don't you have them without a system?" Xinyue asked, looking at him in shock. 

With a helpless shrug, Asher gently reminded Xinyue of their predicament. "But I don't know how to share skills without a system. Remember? I got them from the memories…" 

Even if Asher possessed the skills from his system, he knew deep down that it wouldn't magically enable him to share them with Xinyue. So, without hesitation, he shifted the blame to his main lie. 

His words had frozen Xinyue, but Asher was contemplating his own situation and didn't notice their impact on Xinyue. 

"Heck, I don't even know how to teach it with a system," Asher muttered. But as he glanced up, his gaze met Xinyue's, and he noticed the subtle change in her demeanor.

Xinyue's eyes lost their spark, dimming with disappointment as she stared ahead, lost in thought.

'Maybe I shouldn't have said it like that…' Asher thought.

Asher felt a pang of concern, but he knew he had to be upfront with her.

Setting her expectations from the start was crucial; otherwise, he'd face the consequences down the line if he couldn't deliver.

However, he hadn't expected her to have a nosebleed over it. "Xinyue…" Asher stood up, rushing towards her, but Elder Su was already there with a towel, gently wiping her nose.

With a worried tone, Asher asked, "Did I say something wrong?"

"It might have hurt her, but it's something she needed to hear," Elder Su remarked solemnly while checking her. "Maybe not so soon, but it's better than being disappointed later." she continued with a sigh. 

After a moment, Xinyue stirred from her trance. "Huh? How can I falter here…" she mumbled.

Asher turned silent, looking at her changing emotions.

But as the reality of Asher's words sank in, Xinyue's confusion quickly turned to bitterness. Her disappointment morphed into frustration. She clenched her fists, her chest heaving with pent-up emotion.

"I... I need some time," Xinyue finally managed to choke out, her voice strained with emotion. 

Without waiting for a response, she turned on her heels and stormed out.

Watching her go, Elder Su sighed and turned toward him, "Asher, perhaps it's best if you give her some space for now. Emotions can be overwhelming, especially when one's dreams are challenged. I will call you later when she wants to talk about it."

He looked around as he wanted to say something, but he couldn't bring himself to make a promise that he was not sure about. "Yeah, maybe I should get going," he said, feeling a twinge of guilt for causing Xinyue distress. 

With a heavy heart, Asher turned to leave, but then Elder Su spoke again.

"I'll be here when Xinyue is ready to talk, so don't worry about it. Concentrate more on your Cultivation. You should stabilize yourself before exerting yourself," she said. 

Asher felt a little appreciation for her concern about him, though he pushed those thoughts aside, "Thank you, Elder Su. I'll heed your advice and concentrate on stabilizing myself first," he assured her. 

After hesitating a moment, he said, "Please reach out if you need me, I will also search for a solution..." With a respectful nod, he left the duo behind.

As Asher made his way towards the boys' side, he found himself enveloped in a moment of respite. The tense situation earlier has pushed his exhaustion into the back of his mind.

He pushed the matter of Xinyue ruptured meridians to the back. He wanted to help, but right now, he decided to take a much needed break. It will be a problem for the future him to solve.

With each step he took, Asher's mind began to clear, and a sense of calm washed over him as he tried to focus on the good things.

Having completed the first stage, Asher allowed himself a moment of satisfaction. Though he knew there were many more challenges ahead, he had taken the first step and could enjoy his little moment. 

As he walked, Asher felt the tension in his muscles begin to loosen, his shoulders relaxing. He also realized that he was feeling famished.

Heading towards the mess hall, Asher decided to go with the only boys one. He didn't want to face any drama taking place in the mixed mess.

The food quality was bland but nutritious, reminding him of the military days. 

As he was eating his food while remembering the past, Asher was interrupted by the approach of a familiar figure. 

"Hey, Asher. You doing good, man?" came the voice, accompanied by a friendly hand on his shoulder.

The imposing figure cast a shadow over Asher, but a fond smile spread across Asher's face, recognizing the man.

The nickname Zeroth had always been a source of amusement for Asher, a playful moniker that seemed to not fit the burly figure of the man before him at all.

He was the most muscular in the Orphanage and leader of the AllBoys Alliance. Asher couldn't help but smile at the nickname. 

It was a group for the boys who didn't want to interact with the girls from the Orphanage. Most at the top are quality men who are fed up with the drama. 

They were also the primary supporter of Asher. The man couldn't qualify for the vice-councilor position, but he didn't mind supporting Asher for it. 

"Hey man, yeah, everything is fine..." Asher replied, knowing that he wanted to know about Jolan.

As Zeroth approached, he placed his tray on the table, the clatter of utensils against the surface adding to the background noise of the bustling mess hall. 

Asher noticed Zeroth could easily place the enormous pile with a single hand.

"Many rumors are floating around about you, boy," Zeroth said, taking a large mouthful of food before pausing and waiting for Asher's response.

Asher shrugged nonchalantly, "There are always rumors floating around," he remarked with a roll of his eyes. "What are they saying?"

Zeroth swallowed his food before answering, "Nothing much, just that the fight between you guys is escalating..."

"Do you need some help?" he asked.

The boys support each other but don't coddle. You are expected to fight for things you want and not be a crybaby. The help he was giving was more training than any direct help.

That's one of the reasons Zeroth likes him. 'The original always stands up on his own.'

"I can handle him," he replied confidently, his gaze steady. "Just let the boys know they may have to choose a new vice councilor in three weeks."

'With this, I would increase the confusion. The Councilor should already have removed my name, but the boys will spread the news.'

He didn't require three weeks as he would kill him before that, but it would be good to have the enemy relax till then. 

He was sure that Jolan would hear the gossip and would be on high alert by the end of the three weeks, but in the meantime, he would use the opportunity to catch Jolan off guard, leaving him vulnerable to attack.

There's already a place booked for him six feet under the ground.

They did some small talk, which Asher easily carried with the memories before retiring to his room. As sleep overtook him, his last thought about how he felt no conflicting feelings talking with Zeroth and realized he had fully assimilated the original.

 

5