Chapter Forty-Six
7 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gu Qingfeng: (voice message) “How’s my little puppy doing today?”

Wen Xi listened to the message and hid his red face in his hands, inadvertently recalling the image of him wearing those damned embarrassing things.

Last weekend, he was somehow coerced by that pig bastard to go along to that kind of shop.

He did not even know how Gu Qingfeng managed to find such a shop less than five minutes away from the café and smoothly brought them there right after they finished with lunch.

That gradually sinking feeling in his stomach as he looked upon the rows upon rows of brightly coloured items and trinkets…

Cautiously checking that Jun Yingzhe was still in the shower, Wen Xi opened the image on his phone: smiling brightly at the camera was Gu Qingfeng with an ugly pair of pig ears on his head that he somehow managed to make look stylish and cute at the same time, while next to him was an extremely aggrieved red tomato with black floppy puppy dog ears that matched perfectly to his black hair who looked like he wished he was anywhere instead of taking this photo.

He could still clearly remember the indulgent look on the salesperson’s face when she saw them trying on the headbands and taking photos. She had even held out some matching paw gloves and onesies for them to try—which Wen Xi immediately rejected. It was of small comfort that at least the shop was located on a secluded street with no passerbys witnessing his humiliation.

His finger hovered over the delete button—but what difference would it make even if he deleted it? That pig bastard still had the original copy. Throughout the week, Gu Qingfeng had been happily pestering Wen Xi with his new favourite term of endearment while cooing about the photos he had taken.

Sighing deeply, Wen Xi put his phone down and logged into the game on his laptop. At least he managed to drag Gu Qingfeng away before he purchased the headbands—he could almost see the gears in that pig bastard’s head turning as he eyed the multiple animal and character designs while licking his lips. “Xiao Xi, how about we get some for you know—”

[Friend Chat] Lightwind: Why didn’t my little puppy reply me~ (≧︿≦)

[Friend] Undying: …

[Friend] Lightwind: Hehe

[Friend] Lightwind: (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

[Friend] Undying: Call me that one more time and I’ll watch while you delete those photos from your phone

[Friend] Lightwind: Okay, okay, sorry Wen-ge, I won’t do it anymore( ゚Д゚)

Gu Qingfeng grinned as he typed, glancing at the unopened parcel under his bed that had just arrived. I can always take some more~

[Friend] Lightwind: Go on YY and practice duo?

[Friend] Undying: ok

The battle arena competition was finally upon them. It would be held over that weekend, starting with the group battle happening throughout the day on Saturday, with Sunday’s events starting with duo battles in the afternoon, followed by solo battles in the evening.

Both of their guilds had formed their own parties of four to join the group competition, with the leaders opting out because they had been too preoccuped dating and playing ‘games’. Besides, the limited edition clothing and rare item prizes awarded to each winning player were the same across all the formats of competition, so for the two of them the pretty much sure-win duo competition would be sufficient for them to get the rewards without participating in multiple formats.

“I think as long as we craft more healing potions, we should have this in the bag,” Wen Xi commented as they narrowly defeated a healer-knight combo in the arena.

“Yeah, I agree,” Gu Qingfeng sheepishly agreed as he looked at the sad level one healing spell in his abilities.

The practice arena battles were a little more challenging because they tended to save their potions unless deemed absolutely necessary. Potions were not difficult to procure; they could be purchased from the item shops, or crafted by using materials collected in-game. But they would take up much of the limited slots available in inventory. Compared to a powerful healing spell that uses a small amount of mana which automatically replenishes each battle…

Wen Xi teased, “Someone was supposed to be a mage-knight with healing abilities…”

Gu Qingfeng cleared his throat, embarrased at being caught in the lie he had randomly spouted previously. “Well… Love is healing~ I can give you all my love~”

Wen Xi choked on the mouthful of water he was drinking. “Isn’t Jia Xiong in the same room as you?”

“Yes, so what?” Gu Qingfeng grinned and stuck out his tongue at Jia Xiong who was shooting him disgusted looks while typing furiously in the chat.

[Friend] Panda Says No: Please spare your single dog friend /TДT)/

[Friend] Panda Says No: I already have my noise-cancelling headphones on but I can still hear your loud voice through it (◉‿◉)

[Friend] Lightwind: Too bad ┑( ̄Д ̄)┍

[Friend] Lightwind: Our love is too beautiful that the world needs to know

[Friend] Lightwind: You wouldn’t understand

Wen Xi looked suspiciously at the unmoving Lightwind avatar in game combined with the sounds of clacking keyboard keys—this guy was probably typing out some nonsense again in chat.

“Qingfeng?”

Distractedly replying as he typed out more dog food to choke the single Jia Xiong, “Hm, yes my little puppy?”

“Gu Qingfeng!” Wen Xi burst out angrily, “What did I say about calling me ‘little puppy’?!”

Jun Yingzhe glanced over at his roommate’s outburst and unsuccessfully did not manage to cover his loud snort of laughter.

Realizing his gaffe, the tips of Wen Xi’s ears turned red under his headphones, as Jun Yingzhe smirked while messaging in-game.

[Friend] No Name Hero: Little puppy? (ง ื▿ ื)ว

[Friend] No Name Hero: Does little puppy want some milk tea? Thinking of ordering some delivery

[Friend] No Name Hero: What kind of wild play are you and Gu Qingfeng into?

[Friend] No Name Hero: woof woof? (◕ᴥ◕ʋ)

Wen Xi felt like he had a blockage in his throat, as if blood was surging up at the messages received from Jun Yingzhe as a result of this pit that he had unwittingly dug for himself.

[Friend] Undying: …

[Friend] Undying: You keep quiet for me

[Friend] Undying: Don’t think I don’t know what Xiao Miao calls you

[Friend] Undying: ‘My handsome hero’ ಠ_ಠ

[Friend] No Name Hero: OKOK

[Friend] Undying: I want milk tea. My usual. You treat.

[Friend] No Name Hero: Ok ok _(:3」∠)_

After a moment’s pause, in quick succession:

[Friend] No Name Hero: What a grumpy little puppy~ (๑•́₃ •̀๑)

[Friend] No Name Hero: Your handsome hero will buy you milk tea~

[Friend] No Name Hero: woof (◕ᴥ◕ʋ)

“Gu Qingfeng!” Wen Xi knew he would not be able to win against his good friend of so many years and decided to express his frustation at the source instead.

“Yes, Wen-ge?” Gu Qingfeng wisely decided to change the form of address and instinctively sat up straighter even though the other could not see him.

“Solo.”

“Hmm? The competition?”

Wen Xi paused, he initially intended for them to go to the arena and vent like usual, but the solo competition… could be interesting.

“…yes, the solo competition. We’ll see who is stronger. The loser will do whatever the winner says.”

“Ah? There’s no need for…” Gu Qingfeng’s voice trailed off as he glanced at Jia Xiong who had taken his headphones off, having given up on playing and was online shopping for top of the line noise cancelling headphones. Remembering the thin-skin of his boyfriend in the nick of time, he decided to type it out instead.

[Party Chat] Lightwind: You know I’ll do whatever you ask, baby~ (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

[Party] Lightwind: No need for the competition~

Wen Xi blushed as he read the messages. He had randomly issued the challenge on a whim, but he did have some ideas of things that he wanted to do to payback his annoyingly playful boyfriend.

[Party] Undying: You might not like it

[Party] Lightwind: How can I dislike anything to do with my Wen Xi, ah~

Wen Xi felt like he swallowed a mouthful of honey and was about to reply with some corresponding sweet words, when the following messages appeared on screen.

[Friend] No Name Hero: Reporting to little puppy

[Friend] No Name Hero: milk tea has been ordered and will reach in 10mins

[Friend] No Name Hero: over and out, woof! (◕ᴥ◕ʋ)

--

[Party] Undying: …

[Party] Lightwind: ?

[Party] Lightwind: My little puppy? (´・_・`)

[Party] Undying: Delete the photos

[Party] Lightwind: Noooo!! QAQ

[Party] Lightwind: My hand slipped

[Party] Lightwind: My precious photos, you can’t take them away from me

[Party] Lightwind: I’ll do the solo competition!

[Party] Lightwind: I’ll do anything else you ask

[Party] Undying: Solo

[Party] Undying: I want to beat you fair and square

[Party] Undying: You can’t let me win

[Party] Undying: You must go all out

Usually whenever Gu Qingfeng triggered Wen Xi and they battled solo in the arena, Gu Qingfeng would pamper his boyfriend and play passively, letting Wen Xi vent his frustrations on the Lightwind game avatar. Miraculously after dying just once in-game, his boyfriend would almost instantly perk up and move on. It was a very effective and efficient way to make his easily embarrassed boyfriend happy.

For Wen Xi, he obviously knew that the other was letting him win, but it still felt good to defeat the game’s top player. Every time he saw how the normally aggressive Lightwind turn soft and let Wen Xi land the hits while pretending to fight back, he felt his boyfriend’s adorable efforts to coax him gently scratching at his heart.

They had never solo fought each other seriously before. Wen Xi had always wondered which playstyle would come out top in a true fight: the pure output knight he preferred or Gu Qingfeng’s mage-knight style?

[Party] Undying: Aren’t you curious who would win in an actual fight?

[Party] Undying: If you win, you don’t have to delete the photos

Gu Qingfeng hesitated, he did not want to fight with his boyfriend, ah. He rather hug and kiss his boyfriend and do this and that together…

But at the same time, as someone who had invested a good amount of time building up his Lightwind character, with both of them being top tier players of the game, he did have some curiosity on who would come out victorious in an all-out fight. Some strategies on how to fight a physical knight one on one had come to mind back when he was preparing for the guild war, but he had never had the chance to try them out.

[Party] Lightwind: Ok, I agree

[Party] Lightwind: But you can’t break up with me, no matter the outcome (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

[Party] Undying: Of course not

Wen Xi’s finger hovered over the keyboard, before finally deciding to squeeze his eyes shut in embarrassment as he pressed send:

[Party] Undying: I like you so much, why would I break up with you

[Party] Lightwind: !!!

[Party] Lightwind: Screenshot taken! No take backs!

[Party] Lightwind: Ahhh want to go to the apartment with my sweet boyfriend (≧︿≦)

[Party] Lightwind: And do xxx and yyy with him (っ˘ڡ˘ς)

[Party] Undying: …

[Party] Undying: Sunday

Wen Xi patted his warm cheeks as graphic memories of the previous weekend’s bed activities came to mind. Anyway they had already arranged to meet at the apartment on Sunday for ease of communication during the duo competition. Who knows what would happen afterwards in the evening…

[Party] Lightwind: Today’s only Friday T_T

[Party] Lightwind: The day after is so far awayyyy~~

[Party] Lightwind: I want to hear my boyfriend while he’s…

[Your message has been deemed inappropriate. Please keep things PG and create a fun environment for all players!]

Gu Qingfeng laughed as the game blocked his message with the warning.

[Party] Lightwind: Can’t we go over tonight?

Wen Xi bit his lip, he was tempted, but…

[Party] Undying: We agreed to support our own guilds during the party battle tomorrow

[Party] Undying: I’ll be watching Yingzhe’s side and you’ll be with Jia Xiong, remember?

[Party] Lightwind: Ok… (︶︹︶)

[Party] Lightwind: Guess I’ll just look at this photo of my little puppy in the meantime~

[Party] Undying: GU QINGFENG!

[Party] Lightwind: What? (。◕‿◕。)

[Party] Lightwind: I meant Xiao Bai’s photo~

[Party] Lightwind: Ah, I wish I could print out this photo and frame it up so that I can look at it everyday~

So shameless. Wen Xi suppressed the corners of his lips as his heart immersed in the sweetness from his clingy boyfriend.

1