Book 2 – Chapter 7 – Eirwen – The Archaen Wife
241 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

Hey guys! I got some special news. For those of you that discovered Soul Knight without getting the chance to read Bonded Summoner for free here on RR, I got the next best thing.

BB-2024-3-26-5889.png

That's right--Book 1 and 2 are only 99 cents each, in the USA store. For those of you in the UK, the countdown deal will also be available on 4/28 -- because I was dumb and didn't realize I had to do them separately until today. Still, you got 1 week to scrounge up those quarters and get yourself a copy of Bonded Summoner!

 

For those of you that DID get to read Bonded Summoner on RR or Scribblehub for free, I do hope that you take me up on this offer! Because there are 2 bonus scenes in each book, which never aired. On top of that, there is tons of additional content and conversations, and edits that were never seen here! This deal only lasts a single week, so now is the time to pick it up before it goes back to the usual $5.99 USD Price!

BOOK 1 US STORE

BOOK 1 UK STORE

BOOK 2 US STORE

BOOK 2 UK STORE

 

 

Eirwen continued her research while occasionally practicing her shamanic magic. The essence in the study was substantial enough for her to get in several spells per hour, and she was feeling good about her progress.

She now had a body enhancement spell: Earthen Strength. It drew strength from the earth, and it enabled her to buff Nick or Kaya for nearly a full minute with enhanced power for their melee attacks. 

It was an excellent addition to her support repertoire. Combined with her now being able to heal even better than before, she thought she was close to unlocking a more desirable class.

She had even spent some time at the orc’s dueling grounds with Nick, utilizing their training spaces. Eirwen was practicing using a bow instead of a crossbow, as it appeared to be more useful for the direction she wanted to shift her class to. Her hubby was an excellent teacher, his skill with the bow once again surprising.  

The crossbow simply didn’t scale as well as the bow did as her strength increased. While she wouldn’t exactly call herself strong now, her new infusion with affinity for the body had ended the days of being weak once and for all. 

She learned both Retreat which helped her leap a distance backward from danger rapidly, but also [Heavy Kick]. The new skill helped her defend herself, by enhancing her strength with essence and kicking to the side or behind her powerfully, putting all her weight into the blow to knock enemies back. It wouldn’t stop an angry hammerhead rhino, but it would stop anything much weaker than that cold in its tracks.

Eirwen felt herself gaining essence once more, through her connection with her husband. She asked, “What’s Nick doing right now?”

Kaya looked up from her book. “He is taking a quick run through Lothar’s Ordeal, to finish the last level and see if he can get awarded a skill.”

“Good, so he’ll be busy for a bit longer, huh? Let’s take another look at the book! You wanted to join this time, right, Rebecca?”

Kaya nodded, and Rebecca blushed as she closed her book and cleared her throat. Eirwen could tell she tried to look uninterested, but she was clearly excited to take a look as well.

Eirwen retrieved the book from its secret place, and the three gathered around. It wasn’t that they really needed to keep it from Nick, but he would definitely become salty about its existence–and might even try to hide it. Besides, he said his memory of his younger years was perfect or near it. Well, she would show the pictures to him when she found a way to copy them.

Opening it, revealed pictures of young Nick and his family in the first sections.

Kaya pointed, “Look at him here, with his little sword–and his other sword. He looks so serious despite being naked, like a grown up somehow!”

Eirwen giggled, her ears wiggling. She pointed at him working on some math in his study, wearing a button-up shirt. “It says he’s only three here, but he looks like he’s filling out serious bureaucratic forms! This expression is so cute on a child.”

Rebecca noted, “So this is Jasmine, here? The floating maid’s clothing? She is really in nearly all the pictures.”

Eirwen nodded. “Those two appeared to be quite close, I can’t wait to meet her in truth! Even without her mind all there, she has really helped me out a number of times.”

Kaya teased Rebecca, “So what do you think? Isn’t baby Nick cute? This is like a preview of what Rebecca Noblefrost’s child might look like.”

“R-Rebecca Noblefrost!” She blushed. “B-But, we aren’t even courting!” She paused, the shock draining from her features, replaced with a sadness instead. Rebecca sighed. 

“So many things have changed for me compared to my old life, and so fast. I haven’t even had time to process all my feelings. All my previous goals, and all the things I did each day feel so meaningless in comparison now. My father had really pulled the wool over our eyes, and we had truly lost to his evil if Nicholas hadn’t come to save us.”

Eirwen hugged Rebecca from the side. “You’re right. But you had done good things for others, and your heart was always in the right place. We heard you had given up everything to aid others, focused on teaching Seraphara’s wisdom and spreading goodwill toward the less fortunate. You have learned that there is great evil out there lurking, and now you are in a position to help others even more. You said you communed with your goddess? What happened?”

“We are not able to receive her words on this shard, aside from those within a Quest. I gave my report of what happened to mother and father, the slaves and corrupted priests, and… I think I only felt a calm acceptance of the events, almost like…she already knew what happened. Which was…painful, for me. She is a goddess of wisdom, and one that holds value to information, but also compassion, easing the suffering of others. If she knew, why did she do nothing?”

Kaya frowned, seemingly irritated at this, but Eirwen offered an explanation. “The goddess herself lives in a distant shard, and this shard is located in the frontier. Until it forms an Open Relay, her ability to affect the shard is limited. Other than that, she may have relied on some form of future-reading to determine that all would end well enough. There’s the issue with those taken as slaves over the years, but otherwise the conclusion was good. The bishop was defeated, your mother saved, her faithful gained a lot in the tribulations, and they are now a part of a city with an excellent future where they are needed. They’re also free from all the evil of that area.”

Kaya nodded. “Many of the Havendale people did require healing, and your people have already helped them a lot!”

Rebecca looked thoughtful, but conflicted. “I suppose… It does seem the result for the people of Zura was good, better than if she had simply sent inquisitors from afar. For all we know, she did do that, but my father and Brutus took care of them somehow. In the end, it really opened our eyes to all the evil out there, and the rewards were substantial. Many of the priestesses will form their faith cores soon, and… I felt some approval when I confessed I made a concept fragment.”

Kaya smiled. “That’s great! What else, did you receive a Quest?”

Rebecca nodded. “I was debating if I was cut out for going on adventures with Lord Nicholas or not, but it appears Seraphara believes I am, and made the decision for me.” She shared the quest with Eirwen and Kaya.

[Divine Quest Received: Accompany Lord to Ordeal]
[Challenging the Ordeals is a Lord’s duty. Each success of the Lord within will result in greater prosperity for the people of Frosthaven, including Seraphara’s Faithful.

The city of Frosthaven holds the Path of Kings, the Lord requiring many party members to complete. It is a means of testing yourself and becoming more, even as Seraphara’s faithful. As a clergy member of Seraphara, your contribution is important to the success of the Lord. Accompany his party on his next Path of Kings entry, and complete the 10th floor.]
[Reward: Tome of Wisdom, Unlock Divine Concord Lord’s Quest.]        

Kaya asked, “What is a Divine Concord? It sounds like it will grant something to Nick.”

Rebecca smiled. “It’s a wonderful thing, and shows that she must really trust Nicholas. It means that Seraphara will recognize him as a trusted Sovereign, despite not being an adherent or faithful of Seraphara himself! It’s spectacular that he could be granted this opportunity. As far as we know, none have this privilege on this shard–for any divine.”

Eirwen smiled. “That sounds really amazing, and I’m glad you’ll be accompanying us, Becca. What about the Tome of Wisdom?”

“It’s a tome containing Seraphara’s mantras and has pure faith energy stored within. While following our cultivation method and meditating on the words and teachings, it should push me much closer to forming a more perfect faith core! It’s a true treasure.”

“Hehe, that’s great. Now, for the reason I brought the book out.” Eirwen turned the pages, moving past the cute pictures of young Nick and his family. Next were Ideals, Paths, and Cores for Archaen Wives.

Rebecca frowned. “Is it…okay for me to look at this? I’m not…”

Eirwen gave Rebecca a big smile. “It’s fine, you’ll keep what’s inside a secret, won’t you? I understand you’re not in the right…frame of mind to think about it right now, but you’re not entirely opposed to Nick’s courting you in the future, are you?”

“O-Opposed? N-No, but… Would he even want me? You two are so strong and confident, and so beautiful. I’m… rather boring.”

Kaya snorted. “Now that’s just silly talk. Nick told me he respected how you led your people with a firm hand, and how smart and open-minded you are. Don’t put yourself down, you’re an arch priestess!”

“H-He said that?”

Eirwen nodded. “He definitely sees your intelligence as attractive, and you’re a pretty gal! But what about what you want? Do you not have desire, or feelings in your heart at all for our Nicholas?”

“I… hadn’t thought about it before. We really try to focus on ourselves first before seeking out a partner. When I met him, he had seemed so different and unlike anyone I ever met. I saw his generosity with his healing and rescuing of others, and his strength and heroism facing my father and the drakes. I don’t know about as a woman, but when I saw him hurting from what that throne of my father’s was doing, I was resolved to give anything to save him. I prayed to Seraphara and willed the essence with my spirit to help him, and… it answered.”

“What happened when you did that?” Kaya asked.

“It seemed like… much of my essence was used from all my cores, even from the stores in my body, exhausting me. I was able to control the essence in that room for a time. I took much of it into myself, and…it was beneficial to me. I even healed some of the damage to him at the same time.”

Eirwen hummed. “Hmm, so something like a sacrificial concept? That does seem useful, but it could also be dangerous. What if you couldn’t pay the price?”

Rebecca looked thoughtful, and Kaya looked back to the book, then to Rebecca, “So you were willing to give up anything to save our Nick, huh? I think that means you at least qualify to see this. In the end, it’s just what might become possible for you.”

Rebecca blushed. “I… okay. It can’t hurt.” 

Eirwen smiled. “So, I’ve been comparing these to others, and I think our mind and soul core being merged, and gaining extra essence from Nick gives us unique opportunities. Unless you are a prodigy, many try to focus their Ideal, Core if any, and Path into making just a single Concept. Everything aligned into a singular purpose, for the greatest chance of passing this threshold.”

Rebecca nodded. “That’s right. This is why Seraphara wants us to form our faith cores as early as possible. It increases the likelihood that we can meet the goal of forming one of hers, to focus on our own down the line.”

Eirwen raised her index finger. “So, how about us Archaen Wives follow a similar mindset? We form a core for our husband, and then focus our efforts on forming a Concept for our own personal paths.”

Kaya frowned. “What kind of Core? I was looking at forming a Bestial Core, which would let me store larger amounts of feral energy and grant me better control over my ferality.”

“That’s one of the Archaen’s strengths. We can have two! For most, it would disrupt the flow too much to their three dantians, having five in total. We might not be the only ones out there, but it’s a special thing.”

Kaya looked over the different Ideals and Core options with a raised brow. “What’s this, this hardly sounds like something compatible with the Orion System: Treasure The Pleasure. An Ideal for increasing his and her pleasure?” She snorted. “That sounds like a terrible idea, Orion is dangerous. If you focus on something silly like that, you’re just going to die young.”

Rebecca just blushed in the background, seemingly speechless at the implications, but Eirwen giggled. “That’s a good one! That one increases your control over pleasure centers, and your mental capacity and power over your emotions. The line between pleasure and pain within your nerve centers is a fine one, and someone capable of using mental attacks–like Rebecca here, could actually use that in combat, targeting their nerve centers to cause immense pain.” 

Rebecca looked a little mortified, probably at causing others pain. Eirwen flipped to another one, pointing at it. “I’m actually interested in this one, which focuses on flexibility, softness, and lightness.”

Kaya rolled her eyes. “I can kinda see flexibility being useful in combat, but lightness and softness, really? Let me guess, you’ll make things even more enjoyable for Nick?”

“That’s right! As for the combat, that shows what you know. Imagine a feather being punched. Do you think the feather is worse off?”

Kaya looked at the Ideals in a new light. “Huh, but that kind of thing is pretty far off for us, isn’t it? Perhaps years, for an Ideal like that to take root and have a large impact on our bodies–for combat, anyway. I suppose it’s best to get started now, for this to have an effect worthwhile as we reach the higher stratums. These dual-purpose ideals could be fun.”

Rebecca was blushing as she tried to change the topic, “Eirwen, you said something about a Core? You had one in mind?”

“Hehe, back to the topic it is then. That’s correct.” She flipped to the page detailing the core she was interested in. “The Wife’s Devotion Core. As it is now, essence is fed from Nick and into us through his Essence sharing, part of his Pact with us. But what if we could strengthen our bond, and give something back to him as well–our devotion, which is much like faith energy? This is what the Devotion Core is all about.”

Kaya frowned. “Of course, that sounds amazing. But something can’t just come from nothing, can it?”

Rebecca asked, “And like faith energy?”

Eirwen nodded. “Devotion energy is almost like faith energy. But while faith energy generates what many might consider a higher stratum energy, devotion energy is not nearly as pure or special–it is instead meant to build him up to reach that level.”

She continued, “The special core doesn’t come from nothing, it does have a cost. When we become Archaen Wives, our soul core and mind core are merged together immediately, becoming half-blood Archaen–very similar to the half-blood Heirs. Yet, this special thing requires our connection to our husband until we ascend to the next stratum and an Heir can take his place–if he dies before then, we die.”

Eirwen turned the page, showing the different diagrams. “This core would increase the connection to him, making it so that this Heir connection could not be formed. It–”

Kaya frowned, and interrupted, “But that sounds like if he died, our kids are orphaned as we all die too? That’s just the worst, Winny!”

“Why are you assuming our husband is going to fail and die? Don’t you have any faith in him at all? This is not all that different from what others must go through within the Ordeals. Sure, sometimes they can escape after the leader falls… but more often than not…you know that, right?”

Kaya relaxed slightly, and Rebecca nodded. “If you want to Test yourself and become more, you must take a risk. This is one of Orion’s many truths. The risk may be less with some Paths, but the possibility of death is ever-present. That Lord Nicholas can protect his Wives and Followers should not be taken for granted, but it is somewhat harmful to their potential.”

Eirwen nodded. “This is why when Followers enter the Ordeal in the second stratum, they must select whether they can be resurrected outside if they fail or not. This influences the potential for their rewards, reducing them if they choose to allow resurrection. If you want to Test yourself and become more, you must take a risk. If we aim to follow Nick into the Ordeals as he rises, we should go all in–full-assing it, right?”

Rebecca’s eyes went wide. “W-What? What’s that?”

Kaya ignored Rebecca’s question like it was obvious. “So… what? Will those that go with him into the Ordeals just not have kids, or?”

“Nick is going to have many wives, and in my opinion, not all should be his partners or those that enter the Ordeals with him. Those won’t form a wife’s devotion core, but a lover or mother’s core. Then, we’ll just plan on pregnancies. We’ll take some time off for it–he’s going to want to, too. After they’re old enough, they’ll have plenty of other mothers and retainers to take over if the worst happens. And let’s not forget how rapidly Nick aged–he was walking and talking within weeks!”

Rebecca looked interested in what was on the page, “What do those cores do? Those sound…pretty strange compared to those I’ve heard of.”

“The mother’s core stores essence from Nick’s essence sharing and their own efforts, and prepares it to give it to the child, to both improve the Heir’s potential and increase the pace of their development. The lover’s core builds from the wife’s powerful emotions as they pine for their beloved, and transfer their feelings and desires over their bond. It’s almost like the devotion energy, but a bit more focused on the love and lust they have.”

Kaya snorted, her voice filled with doubt, “What good would that do Nick? It’s not like he can kill his enemies using their love and horniness, or something, can he?”

Eirwen giggled, her ears wiggling. “You really don’t believe in my Hero’s Reward, do you? Kaya, when it comes to making someone stronger and more driven in the long run, what is the most powerful emotions or virtues someone can have?”

Kaya frowned in thought, getting quiet for a moment. “I think it’s resolve. The strongest, most dangerous warrior to fight is one that is resolved to die for their cause. To lose a limb, to give their everything into landing that blow against their enemy and take them down with them, is the most difficult enemy to face. Resolve is also what drives the warrior to become strong in the first place.”

Eirwen smiled. “I think resolve is a good one, and I think that might fit you the best, and may be the best for his followers–it is not appropriate for a Lord, or Archaen Heir. But you touched on why that isn’t everything. What do you think, Rebecca? Or, I will ask this a little differently. Why do you think you’re the archpriestess, instead of Marissa?” 

“M-Me? I… hadn’t thought of it much before.” She thought for a moment, before nodding. “I think the difference and the answer you’re seeking is desire, or passion. I had a thirst for knowledge, a desire to learn and master all of Seraphara’s teachings and to gather the wisdom she prescribed. Many lacking desire stagnate, often slowing or stopping in their self-improvement. Marissa is an excellent priestess, but she lacks the desire to continue her growth beyond the bare minimum.”

Eirwen smiled. “Unlike you, who is constantly learning and improving, desiring to become better and become more–closer to Seraphara, the goddess?”

Rebecca nodded and returned her smile. “That’s right. Seraphara embodies everything I want to be. Her strength through wisdom and compassion is truly special to me, and it drives me to be better, to be more like her.”

Kaya’s eyes were wide, as she looked at Eirwen. “So I can kind of see it now–you’re wanting him driven by desire, to become stronger and get home to his wives safely?”

Eirwen gave Kaya a sly smile. “Wanting him to? Now, that’s an awfully strange way of putting it. Saying I’m wanting him to be driven by desire is like saying I’m wanting water to be wet. Everyone is driven by their desires, the only difference is how much of it they have and how much they let it drive their actions, and whether their desires are good for them or not. But our husband is an Archaen, a Hero and a Lord of Orion. His race is empowered by its desires, we as wives need only to stoke the flames to help him rise.”

She continued, “Nick told you how his desire for you helped him master his Body Essence. Adding onto that, a strong desire is also an excellent trait for a leader–whether a lord or the head of a company. Of course, these should also be tempered by their virtues, or desire can be the fuel of the kingdom or company’s downfall. Us wives, his partners, need to be his guides, advisors, and his shield and sword.”

Kaya sighed. “Of course, you’re always right. But how are we going to form these cores? Any of them?”

“They’re not all that different from Rebecca’s faith core, but rather than gathering the faith energy in Seraphara’s Cathedral, we gather it within Nick and in our soul cores. We can make it ourselves, focusing our desires and essence gathering following these cultivation techniques. Then, a treasure from the Ordeal or the barrows might help finish its creation.”

Rebecca frowned. “The barrows? How do you know something is–” Her question was interrupted by an entry chime being played throughout the home. It appeared someone with access to their home had arrived.

Eirwen said, “I wonder who it could be? It’s a little early for Nick still, I think.” She got up to go meet whoever came home, but Kaya’s ear twitched.

“It’s the girls. We’re in the study!” Kaya shouted.

The girls burst into the room shortly after, their tails wagging and their canine smiles beaming as they barreled into Kaya and Eirwen. Even Rebecca got a hug, and she giggled as the rambunctious girls forced their way into some head pats and scratches.

They were some of those that Eirwen had added to have the ability to enter on their own. Rebecca didn’t know it, but she had the ability to open the door and march right in, too.

Eirwen smiled. “We were just doing some planning. Did you want to hear about the options of Archaen Wives?”

The wolfling girls all barked and howled their agreement, and lined up chairs to sit in and get comfortable. They all smiled with their tails wagging, and got pencils and papers out to write. Their paw-like hands had a more human-like quality kind of like Kaya’s, despite their claws being unable to retract. A mixture of their goblin and wolf heritage.

Rebecca gawked at them. “They can write Orion Common now?!”

Kaya chuckled, her tail swishing behind her. “And take notes! Sharon and Indrid are doing a great job in both training and teaching them with their kids. As soon as they have mouths made for speaking, it will be no problem. I can’t wait to see Nick’s face!”

Eirwen giggled, her ears wiggling. “Rebecca’s just now was not bad! Alright, girls. You’ve done well, so focused on becoming more for your Alpha. What you need now is not all that different–but those in tune with essence, the essence tends to answer your wishes and desires. And I can see how strong those are, with you. Let’s find what resonates well with each of you.”

 

8