1 – 2b – Meet The Locals
395 8 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Speed kills.

 

 

 

 

Haste is a very useful spell, especially when followed up by fleet feet. The combination of haste and fleet feet is ideal for those into tactical maneuvering. While haste typically falls under the category of a circle three spell, the versatility of an Arcane Psychic allows them to draw arcane spells from any list. In this case, Andrew accessed the Gentleman Thief spell list, which, despite having a limited selection and only going up to circle four, had Haste as a first-circle spell. This made casting Haste exceptionally cost-effective for Andrew and was one of the cornerstones of his build:

 

Taking advantage of quirks in the system.

 

When compared with psychic powers, most arcane spells were simply of superior quality. This discrepancy often dissuaded power gamers from considering the psychic classes. Few and far between was the player who delved into the minutia of psionics. However, the psychic power list held a distinctive advantage that surpassed both arcane and divine spellcasters—the capability for time manipulation. This unique aspect set psychic classes apart, providing a specialization that spellcasters couldn't emulate.

 

Rapidity, a potent power that granted additional actions, came with the trade-off of leaving the user exhausted. Consecutive use could result in being stunned and rendered useless. Many avoid utilizing Rapidity due to this drawback. However, those equipped with a pair of magic shoes capable of negating all exhaustion effects find themselves exempt from this limitation, making Rapidity an appealing option. A pair of wooden shoes that Andrew bought as part of his starting equipment, one might add. When you combine haste, fleet feet, and rapidity, on top of the movement bonuses of being an, effectively, twenty-first level martial artist... well... you get, simply put:

 

Andrew go brrrrr.

 

Cloaked in invisibility, Andrew halted at the periphery of the road where the battle was unfolding. Despite numerous guards having already fallen, it seemed as though the conflict had only just begun. Leveraging his multi-layered speed buffs, Andrew surged past the combatants, positioning himself amid the besieged guards who valiantly attempted to fend off the assailants. Backs pressed against one of the carts, the guards struggled to repel the wolf-like creatures. These beings, resembling canines but with elongated horns and peculiar, black orb-like eyes, were likely to win with sheer numbers if nothing else.

 

Andrew appeared among the beleaguered defenders, and with a forceful shout, he invoked a spell of divine power, "{Stabilize}!" This incantation activated a somewhat unpopular spell, typically overlooked by small adventuring groups. Unlike spells more tailored for compact teams, Stabilize worked over a broad area, providing just enough healing to prevent individuals from bleeding out. Although deemed impractical for smaller groups, it became invaluable in situations where a dozen or more were wounded. Andrew favored this spell not only for its healing properties but also for its effectiveness against undead and its capacity to disrupt their spells. The casting time was near instantaneous, which further solidified its status as one of his favorites. After all.

 

Speed kills.

 

"{Mana Chain: Rapidity/Haste}!" His most powerful spell currently was mana chain. You could use it to cast two other lower-level spells simultaneously. Haste could affect allies in a wide area, so it seemed best to give everyone more speed before anything else, and you could never have too many actions, so renewing Andrew's rapidity buff was the smart choice.

 

The head of the guards, a tall, brute of a man in partial plate with a thick beard glanced at Andrew, "What The? Where did you come from?"

 

Andrew took a moment to steady himself, "Worry about that after the fight!" Simultaneously, Miriam leaped into the air, materializing as she unleashed a cone of glass shards onto two of the monstrous adversaries. While the attack didn't prove fatal, it inflicted severe wounds, causing the creatures caught in the attack to bleed profusely. Capitalizing on shared personal spells, Miriam also moved with incredible alacrity, creating a blur as she traversed the battlefield. Fixing her gaze on the two largest allies, she unleashed two silvery beams in quick succession. The result was the emergence of multiple duplicate images that transformed the front line from four defenders to ten.

 

Though merely a trick of the light, the illusionary reinforcements created a sense of overwhelming opposition that caught the beasts off guard. The unexpected turn of events caused some of the wolves to panic and back off. This effect intensified when a cure spell was cast on the closest fallen man, allowing him to rise once more. As that man stood up, Miriam conjured illusionary duplicates of both Andrew and the recently restored fighter. This added another six defenders to the fray in an attempt to trick the wolves into thinking they were up against sizable opposition.

 

The beast's morale broke.

 

As the wolves turned to flee, Andrew went about checking the condition of anyone who had fallen. Everyone was already stabilized, but now the goal would be to get them active as soon as possible. Just because combat appeared to be over, didn't mean you had time to dick around. With a light touch and a minimal amount of healing, the wounded were waking up. That is until Andrew reached the last man.

 

Andrew checked his neck. No pulse. Andrew looked around, "How long has he been like this?" People looked at him strangely as nobody was even sure what he was talking about. Andrew rolled his eyes, "To heck with it!" He thought to himself, ~Surely I picked up some experience from this fight. Which I'm gonna need to pull this trick off.~

 

"{Sacrifical Spell: two fourth-circle to Revive}" Revive was a fifth-circle spell that allowed you to bring back the recently dead, but it wasn't a spell Andrew kept at the ready, but one he knew. At most, you had six seconds per caster level since the target died, which gave Andrew a minute-and-a-half window of opportunity. There was a good chance Andrew could pull it off if he used his sacrificial spell ability to cast it. This required an expenditure of experience points, as well as a simple endurance check to remain conscious.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Andrew shouldn't have made endurance his dump stat.

 


 

"WAKE UP!"

 

 

 

Andrew opened his eyes to someone small slapping him across the face. He cracked open an eye to find Miriam standing on his chest, leaning over him, "Stop being lazy! People want to thank you!"

 

Andrew rubbed his head as he pushed himself up on one elbow, "Goddamn that backlash sucks." He looked around, "Did the spell work? I forget if it fails if I pass out or not. I think it still goes off as long as I'm trying to cast an instant."

 

An older man dressed up in reds and golds and looking very much like a rich merchant, knelt next to Andrew, "If you are referring to my men, everyone is alive, thanks to you. They're not in the best condition, but alive. You've been out for a few minutes." He jogged his head towards Miriam, "Your friend has been quite worried."

 

Miriam folded her arms and looked away, "MILDLY worried. Not QUITE worried. Don't exaggerate."

 

Andrew smirked and remarked, "Thank you for your mild concern," Miriam hopped off as Andrew gradually rose to his feet. Casting a glance around, he wiggled his fingers, adding, "I'm out of spells, thanks to the backlash. I hope everyone can survive from here." Extending his hand to the old man, Andrew introduced himself, "Everyone calls me Andy."

 

The old man took the hand and shook it, but held on, "Andy? Odd name. Not familiar with that sort of name, and I'm a merchant by trade. Honest Vilmos of the Petru company."

 

Andrew smiled a bit more, "Ah. I'm an adventurer. Support role by trade. I'm originally from Bridge." He pulled his hand away, "It's... a small town by a bridge." He sighed, "Was working with my team when we walked into a teleport trap." He glanced around as he shrugged, "I had just gone to Dungeon Town to find work. Up until then, I only worked with teams going into The Dark Forest."

 

The Merchant blinked, "Awfully bland sounding names..." He narrowed his eyes a bit as he slowly retracted his hand, "What kingdom are you from?"

 

Andrew blinked and tried to look surprised, "There's more than one kingdom? I always thought it was THE Kingdom." He scratched the back of his neck, "You've never heard of Dungeon Town? It's past Farhill, down the river. You stop at Rivertown and head north. I wanted to get some practical experience before heading to Riversend." He gritted his teeth and looked pensive, "Any of these towns sounding familiar?"

 

Vilmos shook his head, "I have never heard of any of these cities. Who is your king?"

 

Andrew shrugged, "I dunno. Never met the guy." He sighed, "You... have to understand. Not much time for hobnobbing with nobility when you are a ward of the church of Asclepius."

 

Vilmos squinted, "Never heard of that god."

 

Andrew let out a long, low whistle, "Wow. That teleport trap must have sent me like... thousands of miles! You never heard of the god of crossroads and comfort?" He tapped his chest, "Not that I'm a full priest, mind you. Never had a knack for it. But I was interested in healing so I became an acolyte. I wanted to be a priest of the Sun, but..." He sighed, "Wasn't meant to be."

 

The Merchant nodded, "Well... we're heading to the Fortress town of Peltra. As soon as we get things cleaned up here, we'll be happy to give you a ride. but..." He glanced at Miriam, "What's that?"

 

Andrew picked up Miriam and placed her on his shoulder, "Ah. On one of my jobs in The Dark Forest, I found her, half-dead and mauled by beasts. I healed her and she's been my companion ever since."

 

Vilmos looked at Miriam, "And if I may ask, what are you?"

 

"None of your business, that's what." She glared at him, "You got a problem with the fae?"

 

The old man lifted his hands and held them out defensively, "Oh no! Not at all, just curious, that's all."

 

Miriam humphed, "If you need me, I will be napping." And with that, she crawled under Andrew's hat.

 

Vilmos looked rather boggled, "Uhhh... not much room under there." He commented.

 

Andrew leaned in and put his hand to the side of his mouth to speak in a conspiratorial tone, "I don't ask questions. I just go with whatever she wants. It's easier that way." Then winked.

 

Vilmos nodded, "Well... if you are up to it, we could use some help getting ready to leave." His eyes lingered on Andrew for a few seconds longer than was socially acceptable, then he turned to walk away.

 

 

 

 

 

Andrew would spend the rest of the trip trying to push down the feeling that something was wrong.

17