Arc One, Author recap.
1.4k 36 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
If you are here from the news feed, go back and read chapter 25!

 

Well, arc one is done. It was fun. At least I had fun writing. I hope you also had as much fun reading!

 

With arc one, even if a bit low on the progression side of things, I wanted to establish the characters and setting without info-dumping by adding a few tidbits here and there about the world. It has magic monsters; people burn witches. Artifacts exist. Jenny has the hots for Gizelda, that kind of stuff.

Writing Yuki is fun, even if she sometimes seems a bit stupid and silly.

With Arc Two, I want to explore more of the world, dungeons, and growth, if not personality-wise, at least in power. There should also be a lot more action, adventure, and exploring. Like usual, if any of you remember Twisted Machine, I write action and battle scenes to be fast and often brutal. I don’t think that will change much with this story, which also translates to a quicker pace than usual. No chapters and chapters of the same ongoing fight. Mostly because I can’t write them or even read them. Whenever I get to a novel with pages upon pages of the same battle, I usually skip to the end of the fight. Yeah, I’m silly that way.

I also have acts three and four planned, but nothing much after that. We’ll see how it goes.

 

This story started as a way to take my mind out of the tiresome work it was to rewrite Twisted Machine. As my first attempt at writing, that one was/is a mess: Passive voice, filter words, clunky sentences, and adverbs galore. Reincarnation also suffers from some of those, but it got better. Again, writing is somewhat new to me, and I’m still trying to learn the tricks of the trade.

Some of the things changed from my original plans. I planned an antagonist and an overall story, even if it wasn’t finished. I hadn’t planned for a second transmigrator, and that one was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment thing. Still, he fits the same antagonist I needed, so no harm, no foul there. For my own enjoyment, I don’t think adding any other will work. Mostly because I don’t like stories that get many other isekai’ed ppl, and I don’t think I can pull it off and make it enjoyable.

I also decided to bite the bullet and pay for Grammarly Pro. English not being my native language, and I never “formally” studied it (like every other nerd, learned playing those rpgs), I struggle with punctuation and awkward phrases. I like Grammarly because it doesn’t try to rewrite my sentences, just shuffle the words around. Other tools often suggest different words or even rewrite the whole sentence, which I don’t really like. Going forward, I will also see if I can convince some of my elf friends to beta-read stuff for me. Maybe I’ll be lucky like that.

 

A few things I learned with Reincarnation Gone Wrong:

1 - Don’t introduce cute rabbits and kill them. Readers don’t like it.
                    About 20% of the readers don’t get past that chapter. I mean, I knew it was a bad idea when I wrote it. I still miss Bunbun myself.

2 - Don’t add funny magic mushroom scenes to your story.
                    That one got the novel its first 0.5 Rating (not here on SH, you guys are the best!). Recreational use of strange magic flora should not be encouraged. Do not eat magic ‘shrooms!

3 - Don’t imply that medieval society was brutal and kids were mistreated.
                    I mean, that possibly happened in the past, but I can’t mention it in the story. Ppl will rate you low for that (SH <3). Just pretend everything was okay and no one ever suffered. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts.

4 - Don’t let the character act out in what is perceive as ruthless without immediate feelings of remorse.
                    Yah, some people really, really don’t like this one. Get those low rates If Jenny isn’t spewing her guts seconds after shooting someone in a moment of tension. Lesson learned: needs puke.

5 - Having a stable release is good. Ppl like that.
                    I went with a different approach with this story. I’m writing less than I did for Twisted Machine, but releasing chapters every weekday. It seems readers appreciate that more than bigger chapters.

 

That said, if you are still here, what do you think of the story so far? I’d be more than happy to read your comments and theories about it. What were your favorite moments? Was there any part that made you laugh or, god forbid, cry?

Thank you all for reading this long ramble, and I’ll see you for tomorrow’s chappy!

69