Chapter 3 – Rest[Edited 3/25]
829 14 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Following the ordeal with the creatures in the trees, I continued my haphazard walk through the forest in silence. If there were any other creatures out here, they seemed to be avoiding me. No, not just avoiding—actively steering clear of my presence. Maybe they were afraid of my appearance, or maybe they understood that I was the superior being. Whatever the case, I just knew they were moving away from me whenever I drew close.

It was a subtle and unfamiliar sensation, but I could sense objects around me shifting away. Like tiny blips on a grid moving farther as I drew nearer. Except that it was only in my head. A new ability? Or perhaps an extension of my telepathic powers? 

If that was the case, were the blips the minds of various creatures? According to the scientists, telepathy was a discipline defined by connections between minds, after all. There were far too many blips and far too many variations in size to know what was what, but at the very least it was a development of my powers. Best case scenario, it worked on humans as well.

Contemplating my newfound abilities, a glance at the sky revealed the sun's descent, signaling the onset of “night”. Soon the sky should be blanketed in the all too familiar dark, with the exception of the fourteen moons and supposedly endless stars. 

Most humans slept during the night, but for me, sleep was flexible. I had no specific preference, especially since I could see quite well in the dark. However, I had adapted to the human sleep schedule, so it seemed best to stick to the bedtime routine I had become accustomed to.

With my seemingly innate ability to repel the natural creatures of the land, I could also choose any spot for a peaceful sleep. Yet, a lingering fear of vulnerability prompted me to consider alternatives, such as the secure refuge of the tall treetops. 

Not only would they offer safety, but also a strategic vantage point to survey the terrain from a far better view than the one I had on the ground. If I could reach the treetops in time, that is.

Using all four of my arms and legs, I grasped the nearest tree, attempting to pull myself up, only to slide back down. Lacking sticky fingers on some of my limbs, I would have to make the vertical climb purely on grip strength alone. How frustrating. 

It would take forever given how little strength I had. Sure I was as strong as the average human, but I also weighed much more than the average human. It would be especially painful since the first few branches were much further up, making checkpoints much more difficult to succeed. This was going to take a while.

*** 

The light in the sky had long faded by the time I made it crawled to the top, and for the first time, I laid my eyes upon the lights of the night. 

Above me stretched a vast expanse of sky adorned with countless stars. And there, hanging in the celestial dance, were not just one or two moons, but a magnificent array of fourteen moons, each casting its own ethereal glow upon the landscape below. It was a spectacle unlike anything I had ever seen, filling me with a sense of wonder and awe. 

This, I realized, was the true beauty of the night. A true beauty that had been hidden from me all this time.

But the treetops were not all pleasant. After finding the thickest branch, I laid back and attempted to rest, only to find it hard to fall asleep in this position. I was used to dozing off in chains, forced to stand until I drifted off to sleep. 

The concept of lying on one's stomach or back was foreign, and I found it easiest to sit upright against the trunk of the tree.  

But, even in this position, rest eluded me. As I closed my eyes, I grappled with the challenge of finding rest amidst the uproar of the forest inhabitants' sounds, which had grown even louder than before.

This dense thicket of trees seemed to amplify its cacophony after dark, making sleep elusive, unlike the serene silence of my former abode. 

Despite the discomfort and the cacophony of the forest, I persevered, determined to find solace in the night. Gradually, fatigue began to weigh heavy on my eyelids as I gazed up at the stars twinkling above. Each one seemed to hold a story, a distant memory of a time long past.

As I surrendered to the embrace of exhaustion, my mind drifted, weaving between the constellations and the mysteries of the world. In that moment, surrounded by the symphony of nature and the brilliance of the night sky, I finally found peace.

With a contented sigh, I closed my eyes, letting the lullaby of the forest guide me into a deep and restful sleep. And amidst the darkness and the whispers of the night, I made a wish.

*** 

I opened my eyes to a bright and blue sky, with the warm sunlight casting its rays on my face. Peculiar white shapes floated in my vision, marking the beginning of a new day. 

Examining my surroundings, the boundless array of trees obstructed my vision. To improve my perspective, I decided to ascend, where I climbed the trunk until my head emerged above the treetops.

To the front was a huge gray wall in the distance shaped like a triangle with a white top. A mouton, a mourtain, a mountain. Yes, a mountain.

On my right was a clearing in the green with some trees, except they were straightened, organized into rows, and missing their tops. Clearly walls, and while I couldn't make out what was inside of them, it was obviously a sign of intelligent life. 

The other two directions were filled with more plain beyond the forest, extending as far as the eye could see. At least as far as my eyes could. Given the need for a map and information, the less established area of human activity to my right seemed best.

Once I returned to the base of the tree, footprints of various other creatures that were active during the night littered the ground. They went in all directions, but that was all I knew, and I could care less. It would take at best, a quarter day's travel by foot to make it to my destination in the east, but it was manageable.

For once I came across some of the forest’ residents, most of which were quadrupedal. Some ran on all fours and stood bipedal, and then there were some rather scaly looking ones with tails and claws. If it was one thing they all had in common however, they paved the way in my presence. 

A look my direction and they either growled and split, or dashed off immediately. Apparently the natural creatures loathed me as well.

***

After what felt like a few hours, I arrived at my preferred location, still in the cover of the bushes that lined the edge of where the clearing met the trees. It seemed to be some sort of human living space, a small settlement if nothing else.

There was a tiny wall made of vines and tree trunks organized neatly, creating a wall much smaller than any wall I had ever seen. At best it stood a little over 3 meters, and at the very front I saw two of them, armed and guarding the entrance to the wall. Humans. 

 

 


 

 

Antennae

Antennae are connected to the first one or two segments of the arthropod head. They vary widely in form but are always made of one or more jointed segments. While they are typically sensory organs, the exact nature of what they sense and how they sense it is not the same in all groups. Functions may variously include sensing touch, air motion, heat, vibration (sound), and especially smell or taste.

39