Chapter 41: Vows
319 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I took Anita's hand in mine, her eyes sparkled with gratitude and a hint of anticipation. The weight of the past abuses seemed to lift off her shoulders only to be replaced by love and understanding.

We spent the evening preparing for our dinner, laughing and reminiscing about the good times we had shared over the years.

Even after insisting on cooking alone and saying that 'it's my job to make dinner', she helped me in the kitchen, making me a tad bit guilty. Those feelings went out the window as I relished her company. The aroma of herbs and spices filled the air as we cooked standing next to each other, a large dinner, fit to be a feast for royalty.

As we sat down to dinner, the table was decorated with candles flickering in the dim light, casting a warm glow over our faces. Anita's smile was radiant, a rare sight.The dinner consisted of three different foods separated with sections. Pasta with Meat Sauce sat on the left. The second dish was a Grilled Salmon, looking perfectly seasoned and flaky. The dinner was finished with an elegant plate of Stuffed Mushrooms, brimming with herbs.

"This..looks wonderful,", Anita said, catching me off guard as she took in the view of the dinner in front of us. She blushed a little as I removed a chair out for her like a gentleman, followed by a nimble 'thank you'. I couldn't disagree with her, though. It almost looked like a meal for a Queen and her King.

"Thank you for everything.", she said.

"It wouldn't have been possible without you.", I replied, my voice, calming.

We sat across from each other, the feelings of the abuse seeming to melt away as we exchanged stories and ate.

"Remember this chipped mug?", Anita asked, holding up a mismatched floral design cup, which conveniently enough, acted as a makeshift, yet aesthetic pot for flowers.

"Yeah. Pfft.", I snorted.

"Was it week one into our marriage, hm, honeybug? The morning where I didn't give you a goodbye kiss before leaving for college? You got soo upset that you threw a freaking coffee mug at me. Good thing I dodged it though!~"

Anita blushed and shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She looked ashamed yet a bit playful about it.

'Not my fault you were so cute...', she whispered with a soft voice. One that made my heartbeat skip.

"Oh. And don't even get me started on that stupid little clause you made me sign, haha~", I say with my voice a bit louder than normal. I was feeling a bit extroverted than usual, thanks to the wine.

Anita couldn't hold it any longer and finally let out a cute giggle, and her face scrunched up adorably. Her brown hair bounced slightly as she brought her hand to her face to suppress her laughter.

Her cute face looked adorable. Knowing how she still had a possibility of turning on me lingered at the back of my mind.

-

After dessert, I stood up and cleared my throat, feeling a rush of nervous excitement. I reached for her hand across the table and rubbed it. Anita looked surprised at first, but she finally cracked a smile.

"Anita."

Her eyes widened with curiosity and anticipation as she gazed at me intently, her hand grasping mine in a tight grip.

"I want to renew our vows.", I asked, my voice filled with sincerity and love.

Anita's hand tightened in mine, a silent agreement.

"I want to renew our vows...not because our old ones have lost their meaning, but because every day I spend with you, I fall even deeply in love with you."

Her eyes welled up with tears, as I continued.

"Also. To cement your abusive behavior. This is my last resort, as well.."

Anita nodded, acknowledging the reasoning behind it. Clearing my throat, I finally got to the main event. I gazed deep into Anita's pretty brown eyes, and her cute smile that showcased her pearly white teeth.

"Will you promise to continue this incredible journey with me? Will you be my partner in chaos and calm, in joy and sorrow, for all the days of our lives?"

Tears welled up in Anita's eyes as she nodded fervently, her emotions too deep for words.

"W..Will you forgive my devious behavior in the past..?", she cried out, her breath catching in her throat.

"Of course."

She immediately lunged at me, and her lips met mine, in a gentle yet forceful kiss. One that I felt that she was holding back for oh so long.

In that moment, as the moonlight flickered through window panes, and under the dancing swaying light of the candles, I knew that our marriage had been cemented into perfection.

6