Chapter 42: Worry
300 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jay's foot tapped as he nibbled on one of his nails, while his other hand clutched his phone tightly. The sound of the clock ticking in the room was getting annoying to him, but he had more important matters at hand.

He sighed and dialed the number another time, crossing his fingers. Staring at the screen, he hoped Adrian would finally pick it up.

To no avail, that didn't happen. Adrian hadn't come to university for almost a week now, including the weekend. He wasn't picking up his calls up, either.

The glow of the phone illuminated Jay's face as it returned a disappointing and repetitive message. This call too, had also gone unanswered.

Grumbling over his dismay, Jay scrolled through the contact logs impatiently, with the list almost being endless. He cursed Adrian under his breath, his finger scrolling on the screen. Jay recalled their last interaction. That day too, he just acted really weird. And just vanished into thin air all of a sudden.

A small smile crept on his face as he remembered the date he had with Ellen that same day. Scrolling mindlessly, his phone buzzed, and his finger immediately picked the call up. Jay jolted out of his delusions as he stared at the Contact Name on his phone. Sweating nervously, he slowly brought his phone to his ears, before a familiar feminine voice was heard on the other side.

'Jay? Hello?? Am I-'

Jay melted into his seat as he heard Ellen's soft voice. It had been only a week but he was yearning for her again.

"HELLO?!?"

"Yeah, Yeah. Sorry, I dropped my phone. What's up, Ellen?", Jay immediately answered back.

A brief moment of silence ensued and Jay could feel Ellen's smirk through her voice.

"Not much. I was getting bored y'know Just wanted to say hi.", she said with her voice soft.

Jay nodded, before realizing it was his perfect opportunity to ask about Adrian and Anita. He shifted in his seat before finally asking.

"Hey, Ellen?"

"Yeah?

"Adrian's been missing for..about a week now. Do you know anything about that?"

"No, I haven't.", she replied, her brows furrowed in concern.

"I just thought it was strange that he disappeared without saying anything.", Jay explained nervously.

Ellen's eyes widened in shock before she quickly composed herself.

"I haven't heard anything. But wait-", she opened her laptop and clicked away at her keyboard. Jay gulped as he waited for Ellen.

"Ah! I don't know about Adrian, but here it is...Anita sent in a request for a week off about a week ago.", Ellen let out as she read the mail carefully. She sank into her seat putting the pieces together.

It didn't took long for them to realize what was going on. Ellen shook her head dismissively and muffled a giggle with her hand. Jay was embarrassed how he was worried for Adrian, when he was simply out having a cozy vacation with his wife.

"T..this is awkward.", he let out with a sigh.

"Oh, I'm sure they're both doing fine. If not, I can ring up Anita anytime. She picks up my calls most of the time", she giggled while saying.

"Nah, just forget about it. Let's not disturb their private time, eh?", he replied before realizing he had another golden opportunity in his reach.

"Ellen.", he said, his voice deep and calm now.

"Hmph? Yes?"

"Are you free this weekend?", he asked, his voice feigning determination.

"Y-Yeah. Of course. Yes. I'm totally free for a date- I mean- It doesn't HAVE to be a date..but-", she panicked, taken aback by how upfront Jay was being.

"Date it is then. I'll pick you up, okay?"

Ellen calmed down, with Jay's voice feeling calming and therapeutic now.

"Of course. See you Saturday, Jay~"

-

Jay sat idly in his chair, his thoughts running amok. He rotated his phone using his thumb and index finger, a pet peeve that helped him calm down. He could breath a sigh of relief, knowing that Adrian was fine. But more importantly, he had a date. That too, with a gorgeous lady.

A sudden stinging pain at the back of his head shook him, a definite slap, as he turned in his chair to find a triumphant Mia standing with a smug smile. Jay returned her gaze with a glare, all while narrowing his eyes. Living with Mia was annoying since she would always keep him in check, most of the time. They were living in an apartment close to university, splitting the rent.

"So. Heard anything about Adrian?"

"Yeah, yeah. He's fine. Just on a vacation...", he murmured while scratching the back of his head, the spot where Mia hit him.

"With his wife, I bet", she said, her grin growing wide.

"How'd you know?", Jay asked while raising his brow.

"OH, please. As if it wasn't obvious, Jay.", she turned to the mirror in her room as she started to fix her hair

"How do I put this...call it a woman's intuition. That day, when she introduced herself, I could see her eye me and Jessica up and down, almost scanning us, being wary. And the way she looked at him. Almost looking into his soul. Heh. She's MADLY in love with him.", she revealed while turning to Jay.

"Just like you're in love with 'Ellen', huh?", she said, swiping at Jay's arm playfully. Jay flinched, but smiled in return, with a noticeable red tinge in his cheeks. Turns out she had been listening to him talk on the phone all this time.

"A girlfriend, huh?? Tell me about her! Show me what she looks like, c'mon!", she nagged at Jay, before he finally caved in and told her everything ranging from how he was set-up to the first date they had.

4