Chapter 43 – Ave Hospitality
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sure enough, the Inn was right where the captain said it was. Right on the main street circling around the city, but what a sight that was by itself. You could see the ages meld together in the building styles and architecture: The watchtowers and battlements attached to apartments turned barracks, now reformed back into apartments. The new buildings that had sprung up between the old ones where they had been smashed down or collapsed. The floors stacked upon old buildings creating abrupt changes in style and construction from plaster and brick to timber and sturdy masonry.

But the crown jewel of all the buildings, even above that of the scattered shrines, victory columns, and multi-story domūs, was the Inn. It stood at three stories tall with a stout and sturdy structure made in the old style with bricks coated with white plaster painted with stripes. All across its floors were dotted large windows and interior balconies with patrons lounging out of them, some even calling down to friends bellow on the street to come inside. The inn even lived up to its name in the most literal sense with grape vines clambering up the walls of the building, breaking up the white plaster and red paint with greens and browns.

And right at the base bellow a sign with olives and fruiting grape vines were the three small archways that made up the entrance. The doors in those archways were completely flung open and the sound of intoxicated laughter and happy chattering bellowed out of them and getting closer to them revealed the full majesty of the inn.

Inside the ground floor was completely open and revealed that the entire building was built around a central courtyard wherein sat a small olive tree. A soft, cool breeze flowed in through from the courtyard and around the assembled tables and bar which all had a clear view of the nest of nature at the heart of the inn.

It was like no other inn Dyo had ever stepped foot in and was probably like no other even Shani or Ercole had seen either. But as they walked in a barman chatting to a few patrons looked up and instantly froze when their eyes landed on Dyo.

He’d been spotting that look a lot recently, with thoughts arising of how distant everyone was in the village for so many years because of his heritage. Sure, it had gotten them all past the gate but every time someone looked at him like a startled animal or stared at him with dumbfounded awe… It stung a little.

The barman raised a shaky finger and sputtered, “I- I’ll get the owner for you-” before dashing away across to the other side of the building.

“Is everyone going to do that?” Shani bemusedly asked, somewhat echoing his own thoughts.

He stroked his horns and sighed. “I think they might…”

“But on the bright side, they might give us free drinks again, and hopefully better ones than last time. That and these people don’t want to kill you over it!”

“I was just hoping they’d be a little more… Normal about it, that’s all…”

He sighed, feeling Agrippa’s hand on their shoulder, helping him to feel a little calmer. A breath later and he was fine, hear- was that…

Barely audible over the chatting and laughter of the patrons was the sound of hooves against tiles as the owner weaved between the tables.

They were a Saytr.

Dyo had never actually seen one, but he knew exactly what he was looking at. The inhuman crooked goat legs covered in dark brown shaggy fur, large curled goat horns, and horizontal slit-shaped pupils were a dead giveaway for one. But they were also surprisingly good-looking. Their dark brown hair formed a neat nest of curls on their head, their light olive skin was clean and unblemished, and they were immaculately dressed in a neat, decorated doublet, embroidered trousers that went just to the top of the goat section of their legs, and a beak-like bycoket hat.

They gave him a short, flowing bow and rose back up with a broad smile across their face. “Welcome to The Vine and Olive, I am Vel Ursa and It’s a pleasure to meet a son of the Lord the of Wine. What’s your name?” They asked, their voice light and androgynous.

“Dyonaigus, but just call me Dyo.”

“Your presence Dyo makes this day a bright one. What do you think of my Inn?”

Dyo blushed a little, “It’s the most beautiful place I’ve seen! The courtyard is wonderful, and it just feels so light and spacious inside.”

Their smile seemed to grow even larger as their pale purple goat’s eyes glimmered with pleasure. “I’m honoured that enjoy it so much! I never thought I’d see the day when I could meet a demigod of Calsynicaus, nor that they’d enjoy my haven in the city. So, I just have to ask you, would you and your friends sit with me over some of my wine? Free of charge of course.”

He didn’t need a second thought, “Happily!”

Shani grinned, patting Dyo on the back with a mutter in Cudeshian of, “I told you we’d get some lad.”

Vel beckoned them over, pulling them to a table that sat right next to the courtyard with the pillars of an arch perfectly framing it like a painting. A few of their staff were already setting it, placing down a pitcher of freshly mixed red wine and wooden platters of cheese and figs.

Even without tasting it Dyo could tell the Satyr wasn’t shorting them. The rich, almost black colour and fragrant scent spoke of a high-quality vintage that had been well-aged for years.

“Please, take a seat.”

They all sat with Vel taking a set of wooden cups and pouring all of them a drink before lounging back in their chair. In it they seemed to be in almost complete comfort as their exotic, yet stunning eyes examined their new guests.

One by one Shani, Ercole, Hreysti, and Agrippa gave their names with Val looking especially deeply into Agrippa as they talked.

“So, how long are you all staying here?” They asked.

“Just a bit, really how long depends on what catches our interest,” Ercole replied, taking a sip of his wine and savouring its taste.

Dyo nodded, “We’ve been through a lot over the last few weeks and need to relax a little.”

“Then I’d welcome you to stay here for as long as you want. Mijerno is no resort town, but a good chunk of the baths is still around, and I most certainly will not say no to indulging such fascinating individuals like yourselves…”

Ercole opened their mouth but before they could speak Val continued.

“Like you, Shani, where are you from? I know it can be a little impolite but it’s not often that I meet someone who has seemed to have come so far.”

“Cudesh,” She grunted, “I’ve been a merc for twenty years but now I’ve somehow gotten involved with this lot and,” She gave a shrug and plucked a fig from its bowl, “I just kinda kept going with them and now it seems like it’s paying off. That and it feels nice to not have to deal with rich cunts arguing over contracts.”

They chuckled, “I can certainly sympathise with that, some of the wealthy families around here are insufferable. That I have made very clear to some of them who liked to stink up my place till I told them what I thought of them to their faces. Now everyone remembers to use the Emoran language in full and its neuter pronouns with me.”

Agrippa looked up in awe, “You… Use them too? For yourself?”

“Indeed, I do, and I’m guessing you do too?”

They nodded slowly.

“There’s no need to be embarrassed,” Vel said softly, her smile turning soft as they looked deep into Agrippa’s eyes, “you’re beautiful.”

Agrippa’s face lit up in a blazing hot blush as they looked away in a flash, grabbing their cup of wine and burying themselves into it.

“And adorable…” They muttered after, almost making Agrippa choke. “Sorry, I’m a satyr, I’m contractually obliged to do that once every conversation.”

“S-so you were-“

“In this case? Not at all, and I might just do it twice…”

The sudden and complete breakdown of any remaining composure that Agrippa had could be best described by Dyo as an unrecoverable catatonic mess. Their entire body seemed to tremble as their face seemed as hot as a furnace, their mouth trying to sputter out an entire mile of gibberish without the cooperation of the rest of their body.

“Anyway,” Val continued, clearly suppressing a laugh as they let Agrippa have a break and turned to Hreysti. “What got you, a handsome vampire, to come adventuring?”

Hreysti went stiff, “How did you know?”

They laughed, “Like I, a creature born of magic who runs a popular inn, would not know about vampires, nor be unable to know what that snow white skin and striking red eyes mean.”

He grunted then sighed, “Do find me uncomfortable to be with? Do you think I’ll lash out? Is that why you ask?”

“Oh, not at all, I find it makes it more interesting to talk with you five and interests me even more in you Dyonaigus. So, would anyone want some Conditum? There’s plenty of light left in the day and even more hours of wonderful nightlife to talk.”

Thank you to my Patreons Mirron and Zero! They're the people who keep this going!

0