3: The floating city
5.5k 24 112
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning my feelings were somewhat sorted. While there were still feelings and thoughts in my mind that I ignored with a burning passion, but I was sure I wouldn't break down again. At least for now.

Still half asleep I heard a knock on my door. Ida entered with a tablet, some cold cuts, and buns. “Brought you breakfast, ” she said laying the tablet next to me, “how are you feeling today?”

“Better, where's mom?”

“She wasn't sure if you wanted to see her. She's probably preparing everything for your enrolment now.”

“Oh.” she was right. I didn't want to see her now, or rather I couldn't. It was so nice being loved by a parent and especially by her. It was different somehow when I was around her. I felt so completely different from when I was around Ida... or my father for that matter. But I could never again look her in the eyes. I was an accident after all, if not worse.

“Hey, what's wrong?”

“She must hate me.” She didn't say it, she denied it in fact but she had to feel this way. She couldn't love me. Not like this, not under these circumstances. But why would she lie to me, what reason could she have? No. It's not important. All that matters is that she hates me.

“Eli, your Mom never said a bad word about you. She was so crushed after he took you from her, it took her more than a year just to function again. She doesn't blame you, hell she doesn't even blame your father for it.

“The only thing she hates him for is for taking you from him. And this just shows how much she loves you.”

Hew words made sense, yet my brain refused to believe them. I had to be all lies right? Some kind of ploy to trick me.

“I know what might get you to take your mind off.”

“Huh?“

“How about I show you around town?” She held her hand out for me to take and after a while I took it and she helps me up to my feet.

“I can't go out like this.” I gestured to the light blue pajamas I was still wearing, “and I don't think my old clothes will fit me.”

“You can have some of your mom's old clothes. She won't mind.” She smiled at me after seeing my worries expression, “Just a T-shirt and some plain jeans.” She paused for a moment and looked me up and down as if to contemplating something. “Tell me, Eli. What's your breast size?”

“Uhhh, I don't know. They fit in my hands?” Blood was already rushing into my cheeks, I had to turn around as to avoid future embarrassment, “not that I've tried or anything.” It's true, I didn't. If I had it would be purely for scientific reason, to feel what's it's like. To experience the terror girls had to live with first hand. And I definitely wouldn't have liked it.

“Uhu.” I could hear the raised eyebrow in her voice, “wait here for her a moment, I‘ll be right back.”

This world had magic, didn't it? And I was supposed to be a Sorceress. I decided right there and then what the first spell I learned would be, something that made the ground swallow me whole sounded pretty convincing.

When Ida came back she had a tape measure in hand. I really had to learn that spell, fast.

“Just like your mother when she was your age.

“So what is it?It wasn't like I was interested in it but you never knew when information like this could be crucial.

“34B.”

Was this good? Or bad? Would other girls be jealous? Should I be proud of them? Or maybe self-conscious? Ashamed. You should be ashamed. Right, I shouldn't feel anything.

I sat back and watched in awe as Ida tore through my mother's wardrobe, showing little respect to the articles of clothing she was throwing left and right.

“Ah, here it is.” She tossed a white bra in my face along with a plain grey T-Shirt, jeans, and some underwear. “I'll be waiting outside for you and don't forget to eat your breakfast.”

I put the clothes one, took a few bites and took a last look at the girl in the portrait - maybe one day - before I meet up with Ida. Making my way through the house, Ida was already waiting for me at the door and I couldn't help notice all the different paintings of magical creatures.

“Interesting huh? Your mom has a soft spot for them.” I came to halt before a painting of a truly massive bird with a wingspan long enough to darken the sun.

“That's a Ziz, guardian of all birds. Some say they possess the power to predict the future.”

“Are they real?”

“Who knows. They are said to only ever show themselves to a select few. I think your mom really wants to meet one someday though.” She tapped at my shoulder, “Let's go.”

I followed her outside and into the incredible city of Alos. With a crystal blue sky, the sun stood high as if she was watching over us all. Magic flowed through my body, filling me with a wonderful warmth. Far away the city wall stood high, impressive stone buildings towering over the city only rivaled by the cathedral that reached the sky at the center of it all.

Ida told me all about how the city came to be. Originally only a small town dedicated to research, the wondrous architecture of the cathedral drew more and more people in. Mages, wandering merchants, tourists started to settle, making Alos their new home.

The city grew faster and faster, to accommodate for this incredible growth, the best architect Amerbia had to offer started to design a concept, adding a new district as a part of a ring around Alos. Over a few years, this once small town became the center of trade for Amerbia and the greatest archive of its knowledge.

Walking through Alos I couldn't help but notice all the detail and love the city was built with, every single window and wall was crafted with love and passion. Engraved with symbols and runes, telling great tales about myths and legends.

Statues with creatures only ever pictured in books with plants and trees, none less amazing than the phoenix flower that greeted me when I first met this magical world, adored the streets plastered with stone and marble. While teleportation crystals decorated every corner.

I followed Ida into the market district, one whole ring of Alos purely dedicated to trade. Hundreds of shops chiseled into the walls that separated the next two levels and uncountable trading booth scattered all in between.

“Take my hand, we don't want you to get lost.”

“I'm not a child anymore.”

“That's not for you to decide.”

Reluctantly I took her hand as she guided us through the masses of people into a quiet corner with a - what I guess to be this word equivalent of a - coffee shop.

We took a seat and a not handsome looking barista took our order. “Ah Ida, the usual?” he said before focusing on me, “And who is this lovely young lady?”

“That's my niece Eli, I'm showing her around town.”

“Hello Eli, it's nice to make your acquaintance.” He held out his hand for me to shake. I did and did not blush while doing so, where is this damned spell when you need it most?

“So what can I get you?”

Instead of answering, I opted to just point at Ida hoping he would get the clue and free me of this torturous moment. Once he was gone Ida focused her attention back to me.

“So I was thinking...” It is never a good sign when someone started a conversation this way, “ there's this shop I'd like you to visit. It's called Tali's Tailor.”

“Okaaaaaaay.” I laid extra emphasis on drawing out the a extra long.

“Because we need to get your measurements for - ”

“Didn't you measure me already?”

“Oh Eli, no. We need your measurement for your new uniforms.”

“Ah I see, so you'll be a new student at the Academy. I can't wait to see the great sorceress you'll someday make.” It was the barrister again with our drinks in hand. Luckily this time I handled the situation with ease and didn't just start stuttering. Or I may. A bit.

Bemused with my inability to form a coherent sentence he left us again but I felt his eyes on me the whole time.

Ida told me some more about the Academy, what I had to expect, how lives like and some interesting information surrounding the different teachers.

We took our drinks and made for Tali's Tailor when a voice called out from behind, “Hey, Eli! I hope I'll see you again.” And then he did the unforgivable. He smiled at me with this brilliantly white smile of his that I just knew could melt hearts and my legs started to feel weak.

“Sorry, we really have to go.” Ida grabbed my arm and ushered me back into the masses of people.

“Thanks for saving me.”

“Oh, I didn't save you. We have an appointment at ten.”

“Oh.” I looked up at the clock that was engraved into the massive wall, ten minutes to go.

 

“By the way, you have good taste.”

“What? I...no...that.....I would....never.”

“Relax, I'm just teasing.”

“Well, I don't like it.” The barista had to be one of those dangerous mind-benders. That was the only possible explanation.

Content with this unambiguous explanation for my sudden strange behaviour I followed Ida into Tali's Tailor and let the fumbling begin.

After a nerve-wracking torture session, surveying almost every inch of my body we got informed that the uniforms will be ready by next week and were once again back onto the buzzing streets of Alos.

“Where to, next?”

“Well, ” she said as small grin forming on he face, “we could visit the coffee shop agai-.”

“NO!” Was it getting hot? I don't remember it being this hot outside, maybe I was coming down with a fever? Anyway, I grabbed Ida's arm and made sure we were on the other side of the shop as we passed it before handing the lead over to Ida again.

Our next stop was the outer ring, and true to its name, it was the outermost ring surrounding Alos. Designed as a nature reserve for exotic flowers and plants, it also served as a plateau with a great view onto... nothing?

I got closer to the edge hoping to find out what was going on when it hit me, Alos is flying. Clouds were passing by under my feet and hundreds of miles below me I could make out the blue of an Ocean.

Since acrophobia wasn't one of my many weaknesses I laid myself down and let my feet dangle in the air, letting only on thought consume my mind.

“How is this possible?”

“I'm not sure. You have to ask Olaf for more information, he should know.”

Olaf. I remember hearing that name once - oh that was right; he was the director of the Academy I was soon to be a student at.

“Ida? What would happen if I jump?”

“Nothing really. Alos is surrounded by an area spell that will catapult everyone back up that falls off.” She tensed for a moment as a shudder ran across her body, “Some people even made it a sport.”

It sounded like fun and I wanted to try it but Ida's nervousness told me all needed to know what would happen if dared to. Oh well, another time.

I don't know for how long I laid there, letting the wind wash through here and feeling the tingling sensation of the grass in my neck before Ida told me we had another appointment. I would have wanted nothing more than to just lay there and relish in the connection to nature and earth I felt. Never had I experienced something like this before but all good things have to come to an end. So I slowly got up and followed Ida back into the city.

On our way to wherever we were going, a thought popped into my mind, “If the city is flying, how do people come and go?”

She stopped dead in her track, “Oh no. I wanted to show you the ports so badly. Basically, it's what you would imagine as a pretty boring port, “ she paused for the dramatic effect before a grin spread across her face, ”only that our ships are flying.”

I'm sure she said more stuff about travelling and north, east, west, or something but I had already faded her out once I noticed people around my age dressed in checkered blazers or blouses, their prominent colors being red and black, with matching black trousers for the boys or similarly checkered skirts for the girls.

I was so absorbed, I didn't notice when I bumped head first into Ida.

“Ouch.”

“Sorry.”

“Well, we're here. The Academy of higher Arts.”

Before me, a massive gate made of marble announced itself as the main entrance to the school with multiple runes engraved along the wall and the inscription 'Academy of higher Arts, a place to learn and grow.'

I followed Ida inside and on our way to Olaf I listened closely to her explaining the layout of the academy.

“The third innermost ring contains the dorms and all sorts of leisure facilities, multiple large parks, a few sports fields, and a few more specialized facilities.

“Most schooling and research facilities are located in the second ring and lastly, the center of the academy is also Alos’ administrative body and includes the 'Atrium'. It serves as an arena where multiple tournaments are held throughout the year, plus it's home to the academy's finals.”

After her lengthy explanation we weren't far away from Olaf's office anymore, one right turn, another two left, up some stairs and voila. With a knock, Ida announced our arrival and when she opened, Olaf revealed himself to be a woman in her mid-thirties with long forest green hair and gree – wait.

“Mom?”

“Hi Eli, Olaf will join us in a bit. Why don't you take a seat.”

I did and tried not to look at her, every time it did try the memories from yesterday would come crashing back into my mind. She noticed my discomfort, stood up and took a seat besides me, taking in my hand and squeezing it. This time, I let her.

Without looking at her I tried to start a conversation, everything to make this awkward situation more bearable.

“So, you're...?”

“I'm the Co-director of this academy, isn't it great?”

“Yeah.” I wasn't sure if she talked about the academy or the fact that she was the co-director, the latter of which I wasn't so sure if I found it that amazing anymore. Sure, at first I was thrilled but that was before I knew that my mom was the co-director. A fact, that would surely sooner or later paint a giant red target onto my back.

To my relief, Olaf soon showed up. He was a balding old man with a long white beard, a staff in hand wore a long purple robe.

“So Eli, your mom already told me a bit about you, I hope you don't mind.” as he said that mom squeezed my hand and I caught her giving me a nervous smile.

“I don't mind.” Instantly I felt my mother relax while Olaf started to pull out a map together with what could only be a timetable.

“I knew what you're going through mustn't be easy but your mom and I came to the conclusion that it would be best for you to start reintegrating into normal everyday life as soon as possible,” he said as he pushed the two pages of paper into my direction.

“This is a map of Alos, I'm sure you'll find a use to it and this, ” he gestured to the smaller piece of paper, the one that looked like a timetable, “ is your schedule. It might be a bit daunting at first, seeing as the other student have a few more years of experience but your mother assured me it would be no problem.”

“You're my daughter, you will catch up in no time.”

Oh god. She was completely oblivious to my miserable performance in school. And now she expected me to catch up on years worth of lessons? No pressure at all.

I took the schedule, curious what the future had in stock for me. Alchemy II, Advanced history of magic, complex Spells, Runes I and a practice class right after with the one exception Advanced history of magic and my class being 3S.

Olaf pointed his finger to one building on the map, it was in the northeast side of the third ring. “there will be your new Room, it's 4b on the second floor of building LD3. Everything's already been taken care of for you.”

I took the map and schedule form Olaf, thanked him and Ida, and was on my way to my new dorm...with mom in tow. She insisted on leading me there. I honestly didn't know how I felt about it. I absolutely loved every second of being with her, I starved for her parental affection that was denied to me for so long, yet my head wouldn't shut up about how much I must have hurt her.

To combat my conflicting feelings and because I wasn't ready to deal with them, nor was it the time now, I occupied my mind with all sorts of random thoughts when it suddenly hit me. Overwhelmed by everything that has happened I it didn't even occur to me. I couldn't remember my old name and the more I thought about it the less sense it made. The letter told me I was supposed to be a sorceress, so I assumed Elinora was just the name that mom had originally in mind for me but didn't Ida say something about my soul writing it? If I remember correctly she even stated that the latter is blank till the person who it is meant for touches it, which, in turn, would mean that Elinora wasn't some random name. It had to have a deeper meaning but that didn't explain why I couldn't remember my old one?

I argued with myself back and forth if I should ask until curiosity finally got the better of me.

“There's something I don't understand?” I avoided looking directly at her choosing instead to inspect the passing student.

“Hmm?”

“Something occurred to me...” I don't know why so felt do awkward to talk about it but it. I decided the best way would be to just straight out say. I mustered my courage and just blurted it out, “I can't remember my name.”

She stopped, turned around and looked up at the sky. “I don't know what you mean, your name is Elinora right?”

“Well yes, it's Elinora but that's not what I mean. My real name is Elinora but it's not not Elinora... what?” Did what I said even make sense? “Mom, what's going on?”

Losing no time, she turned around and grabbed me in a hug. I could feel her body trembling and her trying to suppress it.

“Sometimes magic does things we can't understand. I'm sure with time you will find out what's causing this. For now just know that we don't choose our names like people on earth do, our magic gives us our names and they will stay with us forever.” She whispered something else, more to herself than to me. It was barely audible but I was sure there was 'understand' somewhere in it.

She knew something I didn't but the way she was holding already told me I wasn't getting any more information out of her. Sighing I accepted the fact and we continued on. Mom tried making some more small talk but my mind was too preoccupied to be able to respond. When we arrived at the dorm a whole other set of realizations hit me. How would it look like if I got escorted by the director, well co-director to my room or even worse...what if they see me get escorted by my mom? I shot her sideways glance, then looked down at my own body. No, this wouldn't do. Everyone and their blind grandma would make the connection, I was a smaller version of her after all.

“I think I will find my way from here just fine.”

“Oh Eli, it's really no big deal for me. Let me show you your new room.” she chipped happily and I may have blinked too many times in response.

“I really think it'll be better if I'll be one my own form here on out.” I hoped she got the hint this time.

“You don't want to spend some more time with your mother?” she sounded so offended as if I had upset her.

“No, but I don't want the other students to think that I get special treatment or something.

“Am I embarrassing you?” Yes. And teasing me about it didn't make it any better. I was just glad no one was in close proximity. “Don't worry, I'll be on my way and you have fun with your new roommates.” Did I just see a mischievous smile appear on her face? Probably just my imagination, there was no way I had roommates. They would have thought about how weird that would be, wouldn't they?

My opportunity to ask her was gone however as she already disappeared in the blink of an eye, leaving me with little choice but to find out myself.

The dorm featured a large yard in front, resembling a small park that I had to pass through first. All around students were scattered, some sitting beneath trees listening to music others were chatting in groups but no matter where I looked, it always felt like they were watching my every step.

By some miracle, I reached the entrance to the dorm and made my way inside. Again the room was buzzing with life. Girls everywhere, some were happily chatting with their friend, others playing cards, one was occupied with a weird looking plant in the more darker corner of the lounge. In the far corner, I could make out two girls arguing over which poster of their favorite mage to hang up. One a young guy, no older than twenty-five with short red hair, a smooth baby face and a body rippled with muscles. The other looked at least a decade older, with long black hair and, in contrast to the red-headed one, was apparently a fan of clothes. Especially extravagant ones making him look like a sage.

Making my way up the double stairs into the second floor I silently hoped the red-headed one would win, he was just more pleasant to look at. Nothing more, nothing less.

Arriving on the second floor I was greeted by a large corridor featuring different room numbers. I opened the door that read '1B – 5B' and was led small lounge. While the main lounge could easily hold over fifty students, this version was made to accommodate a much smaller number, just the right size for four to six people.

So I did indeed had roommates but a wave of relief washed almost immediately over me as I noticed we at least all had our own small bedroom, decorated with the bare minimum - a bed, a table, a chair, a wardrobe and a view directly onto the marketplace. My roommates seemed to also be absent for the time being which gave me some time to think. I laid the few things mom and Ida packed for me out onto the bed and started clearing them away. Once finished putting my meagre possessions away, I started studying the map Olaf gave me. The day was still young and I didn't want bum around my room all day. Vaguely remembering Ida telling me I should visit the port I decided that would be my next stop. Not like I had anything better to do.

Sneaking out the dorm again was not nearly as nerve-wracking as entering had been. I hoped once I got back from my little trip, everyone else would already be sleeping and by that, I meant my would be roommates.

Navigating the city with my newly acquired map, I managed to find my way to the southern port after only getting lost once...or thrice.

The port located on the outer ring and made out of mix between mahogany wood and the same ancient-looking stone I saw incorporated in some other parts of town. A small stone wall runs along either side, separating the port area from the nature reserve.

At this time of the day there wasn't much activity around the ports, the port's schedule told me the next ship was not done before six, one and a half-hour form now.

I spend the time watching the few people that did found their way here and observing the workers carrying all these different crates around, stacking them onto each other only for another poor soul to pick them up again at a later date.

Watching them carrying out those mundane tasks had a strangely calming effect on me. I could have watched them for hours, completely content with myself. Just letting my feet dangle from the stone wall and feel the breeze of air rushing over me every so often. Sadly, moments like this could barely last as my thought irrevocably drifted back to my father and all the different ways I disappointed him in.

'Why do you let him define your life? It is your life.'

Just as quickly as the voice came, it was gone again. Why was I letting him always get to me? He wasn't here, he wasn't in my life anymore and yet...he was still there. Always in the back of my mind waiting for every opportunity to make me feel miserable. Maybe if I could forget all the things he told me, the way he raised me and the things he ingrained in me. But how?

My mind was distracted for a moment by an arriving airship. Was it really that late already?

The ship bumped into the dock and spread a wave of grey mist away from his old oak hull, temporarily engulfing us all in a nebula of star-like dust before fading again, granting us our vision back.

I watched attentively as the first passengers started getting off-board. Mages, travellers, merchants, tourists all were competing to be the first on the ground again and then I saw her.

She waited till the last one had left before she followed suit. The little remains of mist forming a veil around her head, illuminated by the evening sun, making her appearance truly mystical. Transfixed by her appearance, I couldn't avert my gaze and soon our eyes meet. Her bright blue eyes were devoid of emotions and yet I saw the terror in her soul through them. The moment seemed to last forever and I felt an age-old bond tragically connecting us and only a single thought occupied my mind. I had to find her.

112