The Fiancee I
284 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jacob made it back to his estate in one piece. Teressa asked him a few questions as they traveled from lord Frost's mansion back to his own, and Jacob answered her the best he could.

It was nice talking to someone else about his problems. Mostly due to the fact that the more he talked the easier it was for him to come up with various ideas to solve the problem.

Although Jacob had no idea who it was that set up that scheme, it would eventually come to light. But, it was not until he really sat in the carriage and thought about it did he see another viewpoint.

What were the chances that whoever set up Baron Cecil's death wanted to involve him? There were a lot of people attending lord Frost's gathering, it was highly unlikely whoever planned the Baron's death knew Jacob would follow after him.

It was more likely that the first person who set foot in the room would be framed for his murder. Jacob just happened to be the unlucky one.

He still needed to be vigilant about the matter. If he shrugged it off because he escaped he would be singing his own death warrant.

Believing that lord Frost would take care of the matter was not something Jacob wanted.

Even if lord Frost did handle the situation, that did not mean there would be no repercussions coming his way from the Baron's associates. Not all nobles able to keep their lips shut, there was bound to be someone who spoke to others of what occurred.

It was just a matter of time.

With Jacob as the culprit who managed to escape, someone - maybe one of the Baron's children - would come after him to avenge the Baron.

When that happened, Jacob definitely would not be taken off guard.

He had three knights here, all of them had their uses. It was time he started training again.

Jacob let Daniel handle the horses and hurriedly greeted the maids in the main hall as he went straight to the study.

Matthew went off to survey the area after Teressa informed him about the events that occurred at lord Frost's estate.

Amber followed behind Jacob but parted ways with him once they were inside the mansion. She went around to check the windows, making sure they were properly shut as well as checking the doors that led outside.

As for Teressa, she helped Daniel with the horses. Although that was not her primary job, she still gave the young boy a hand.

A few minutes after Jacob entered the study, Jack came in.

His blonde hair was a mess, to say the least. But, Jacob thought he looked a bit different, due to the look in his eyes. It was as if something motivated him.

Jacob felt a tad bit mad at himself. He has not spoken to Jack and checked up on him much since he recruited the three knights. It was the same with Daniel and Priscilla as well.

He kept tabs on them by asking Teressa how the two siblings were doing, but he has not actually hung out with them himself.

As a lord, Jacob wanted to keep up a good relation with those that worked with him. It was better that way, making it less likely someone would plot against him later on.

He knew all too well how bad things could turn if a lord did not try to maintain a pleasant relationship with their subordinates. It was unlikely at this point in time that any of them would harbor bad feelings for him, but it never hurt to build up a healthy relationship.

"What is wrong with you?"

Jacob asked Jack as he set the pen down that was in his hand.

Before Jack arrived, Jacob was planning on writing down a schedule on how his days should go. Along with an unfinished name.

If Jack did not interrupt him, Jacob would have written down the names of all those nobles he has associated with. This was his first time meeting them, and he doubted he'd remember their names later on. He needed to write them down while it was still fresh in his head, along with the comments lord Frost and Sterling told him.

Jack sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Well. I know now is not the best time, but I figure it is better I ask you now than later. I would like to take some time off, just a few days to go back to my hometown."

"Did something happen?"

Jack shook his head.

"No, nothing that I know of. But, you know we spoke a while back about the rebels… I decided to believe in your words and want to relocate my family. Preferably here… at the mansion."

"Right… I have no problems with that, but will you be safe?"

Jack nodded.

"With all the training I've done, I should be fine. I'll leave first light, thanks."

Jacob was tempted to go with Jack just to explore the world a little bit, but he had a lot more work that needed to be done here. People would be visiting him soon so he could negotiate a contract with them and buy their business'. Then there was his training that needed to be completed.

Spells that he had to learn, a few matters he had to deal with that included the temple.

A lot of this Jacob wanted to be complete by the time the tournament started, so there was not too much longer.

This tournament that was coming up was a key date. Nothing really occurred on the day besides a large festival, but Jacob knew that in the weeks to follow is when everything would break.

Luckily for him, the majority of the generals would be here during that time attending. Victoria was one of them, so Jacob had to meet her.

That was his primary goal, besides placing bets on select participants in hopes of making a large amount of money.

"How was your meeting with Matthew by the way? Since he came here you've been busy."

Jacob asked Jack before he had a chance to leave.

Hearing Matthew's name Jack could only sigh.

"That guy! I don't even know where to start. The first day we met he was rude, I can still feel the shivers in my leg from when he kicked me. After that he started barking orders, shouting at me to do this and that. I mean I did it because he's a noble and a knight, if not for that I'd…"

Jack crossed his arms while not finishing his sentence.

"Status here means very little with me as the head. I already told him that, so you do not need to fear him giving you orders. Although he is the trainer so you should listen to him as long as it is nothing outrageous."

Jack let out a laugh.

"You see these blisters? Before he came my hands were rough but soft. He had me walk in a weird way all around the estate, I used muscles I never even knew I had before. After that when I thought it was done, he dumped cold water on me and made me drag a boulder."

Jack continued to let out a few complaints talking about Matthew's harsh training as well as his behavior.

Jacob listened to him and smiled at a few bits.

Jack although he complained, he did not really seem too upset by the training he received.

"Oh, he said that he was not going to make me into a knight. Instead, he would fix my foundations because it's off. Would not even let me touch my sword when he gave me orders."

"Knights are bound by an oath to not share their knowledge with others. Unless they make you their personal disciple, but that is a tall order."

Jacob commented.

"It's whatever, I feel as if I am learning more from him in the short time we've known each other than all the time I've spent here with Oswald. Only decent part is when Matthew shows me his footwork. You should have seen it, well… you probably will."

Jack stayed a little bit longer in the study as he talked to Jacob. Jacob also shared his tale of what happened at lord Frost's estate.

Both of them caught up with each other, and after thirty minutes Jack finally left the study. Jacob grabbed his pen and looked down at the paper. Right as he was about to finish writing, he heard two knocks on the study door.

"You may enter."

4