The Last of Us V
187 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The streets were lively, filled with people dressed in common clothes and exquisite appeal. Carriages could easily be spotted entering and leaving through the twelve feet high metal gate.

From the looks on the faces of the common folk, one could easily see how hopeful they were. With dreams of having a better life than they one they left behind. Hopes that they could find a job, food, and a house to call their own.

Sadly, it was all a fraud. Their dreams would be crushed as they came to the realization that things were not better on the other side. In fact, it was like stepping into another world. One that was cruel to those without status or power.

Down the alley, his eyes pinpointed men fighting children over a piece of meat. Stray dogs with matted fur all skin and bones tearing through the trash. Men and women in tattered clothes with their backs against the wall.

This was the true reality majority of the common folk would face once they entered into the city. He paused for a moment, taking in the sight. No one bothered to pay the homeless any attention. Everyone just went about their day as if these people who were struggling to survive never existed.

It disgusted him.

How could one be so selfish? How could a person be so numb to what was going on?

His arm moved in his dark brown cloak touching a small sack. A thought passed through his mind, but he shook his head.

'I Cannot save them all. Not yet.'

He thought to himself as he took one last look down the alley before he moved towards the gate. Unlike everyone who wanted to enter this damned city, he was trying to leave.

The guards posted at the city entrance were donned in silver breastplated armor, leather boots with steel swords hanging at their sides. There were ten of them checking the belongings of those who wanted to enter. At times, the guards would even harass the citizens, taxing them for an entrance fee. It was outrageous that it was even occurring in broad daylight without anyone saying a word to stop it.

His eyes focused on the struggle a family of three was having. One of the guards who checked their belongings decided to tax them, as he took a large portion of their food.

He could see the argument about to occur, and the man could only shake his head. It was foolish to argue back, that would only lead to a beating and a heftier fine. He's tried that once, the only thing he got in return was a black eye, three bruised ribs, and a broken left leg.

Leaving the city was easier than entering. No guard checked him, no one stopped him. But the sight in front of him shocked him to the core no matter how many times he saw it. A line of people as far as the eye could see, all waiting to enter the city.

He walked westward once outside the city gates, until he could see his companion. A bearded man with tan skin and gray hair. His age was easily shown by the wrinkles on his face and the change of color in his hair. Still, there was no better man he would rather have by his side at times like this.

"How did it go Mikhal?"

The bearded man's horse voice rang out, as be passed the cloaked man the reins to his horse.

Mikhal shook his head twice.

"Dead."

Mikhal's voice held little emotion in it. He was not bothered by death, especially at one who was on the upper end of the food chain.

The bearded man clicked his tongue.

"That makes the fourth, do you think the empire has noticed our presence? It is the only way I can see how four nobles connected to us passed away in such a short period of time."

"No. This was something else. The entire mansion was razed to the ground, doubt there are any survivors. When something like that occurs in the capital. People are bound to flock like flies. Yet, no one knows a thing. Honestly, I'm not even sure what is going on."

Mikhal replied as he hopped onto his brown horse.

"At least he was useful before he died. The Baron's land is in chaos as his children fight amongst themselves. When we return, ready the troops and inform our spies that the time is upon us."

Mikhal said as he lowered his cloak revealing a head full of shaggy black hair. It would surprise anyone to know the leader of the rebels looked so young. He was not even twenty-five yet, but already a great leader.

"I always insisted that you take things one step at a time. The grand assembly is approaching and with it all the generals will be gathered in one place. They will come with minimal amount of troops, it is the perfect time to attack the city."

The bearded man said as he urged Mikhal to change his mind. If they were to start their attack now, it would alert the emperor and then he would order his generals to act.

"That was our plan, but plans change to fit the situation. Dezmond is dead so we hold no leverage over Baron's Cecil's land. We need to rush in while the two brothers are busy and kill them both. As long as someone is in the castle managing the affairs, the people will not care. They will care less once the fighting stops and things take a turn for the better. Besides..."

Mikhal paused as he looked towards the east.

"Do you want to fight ten generals alongside the marshal? We hold the Baron's land and use it as our base to launch an attack a week before the assembly. Incite riots in the streets all over, let the nobles tremble in fear. Once the capital is taken, we have already won the war."

Mikhal explained without going too much further into detail. He had big plans, and he did not bide his time for sixteen years to see it fail. Dezmond's death created another path for them to take. One that no one would ever see coming.

"I still think this is foolish. Nevertheless, I will spread the word once we return to Veryl. I'm sure that war-crazed Ian will be itching for a fight. At times he acts like a child."

"Yet, there is no better fighter than him. If the empire did no betray him, he would still be fighting for them."

The bearded man smiled.

"A blessing for us. Now we just need to delay Veronica, what do you have in mind?"

Mikhal took a moment to think. Veronica could be the one person to cause his plan to fail. Her loyalty to the empire was still at its peak. She was one of the better humans in this world, it was a pity she had no power in the grand scheme of things.

"How many men do we have stationed by her castle?"

Mikhal asked.

"Roughly seven thousand. Eight if we pull from the smaller villages."

The bearded man replied.

"Three days after she departs to the capital, inform them to move. They are unlikely to take the castle, but it should keep her busy for a day or two."

Mikhal disliked using his soldiers this way. Knowing he was sending seven thousand people to their deaths. But, their deaths would not be in vain.

3