The Last of Us VI
190 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lord Kurtwell,

A lot has occurred since the last time I wrote to you. Honestly, I have no idea where I should begin. Maybe I should inform you of my biggest fear. One I hope is not true, but Lord Lezhalt says otherwise. The rebels. A rebellion is stirring under the surface, one that has been growing for years. At the head is a man whose name I have yet to find out. I overheard the Lord say that the rebellion was going to happen soon, and that no one was prepared for it. After doing my own research, I found out the words he spoke was true.

Our empire is not prepared. The generals are not on friendly terms with each other, they are just keeping each other in check. If given a chance, they will take it to fight with each other. Even here, in the capital you can see how we treat those of less status. The anger in their eyes, they will not forgiven those who have wronged them.

I'm unsure if this rebellion is worth your time. It could all be a delusion the Lord has tricked himself into believing. But, I implore you to at least look into it.

Dezmond Frost died, I'm sure you have heard of this by now. Everyone in the capital knows of his death and the fate that befall his estate. His wife, Lady Melina knows something about his death. She is afraid, I can see the fear in her eyes. Whoever killed him was supposed to be dead. Who could it be? She never stated, I'm trying to draw out more information from her.

Speaking of Lady Melina, she is living at Lord Lezhalt's mansion. At first she was a prisoner, since the Lord ordered his guard, Jack to capture her. Now, she freely roams around.

As for her daughter, she too lives at the mansion but she speaks of leaving soon. She has yet to state where she is going exactly, when I know I'll let you know.

Lord Lezhalt has shown himself to be intelligent, but he is still a mystery. The moves he makes has no order to them. He has a close relationship with a priest named Amelia and Leah it seems. I'm starting to think that he is part of the order. His presence is overwhelming, almost as if he was a reincarnate of one of the Twelve Saints.

Lately he has been hulled up in his study reading some scriptures he obtained from the church. That has not stopped him from storing food, buying new equipment, horses, and reinforcing the buildings he owns.

Something is going on, and he is in the midst of it. I'm not sure what he knows, but he knows something is about to happen.

As for Teressa and Matthew, the two of them seemed to have adjusted well to their new lives here. But neither of them has done anything worth leaving a note of, I just wished to inform you.

From your loyal knight.

Lord Kurtwell read the letter he received once, twice, three times over. Something was amuck in the capital, he had a good feeling something was going on in the background ever since he met Lord Lezhalt.

It was the right decision to place a spy in his estate, he just wished the spy was better. There was information lacking, crucial information at that.

What was he supposed to do with this? He could not do a damn thing! A rebellion? Who in Nessa's name would believe that? The streets were bustling, people were happy here. There have been no signs of a rebellion.

Yet, he couldn't shake this feeling in his gut. His spy was not wrong. The general in the empire were not on the greatest terms with one another. The young emperor was a mindless fool who has yet to make a single command which is his own. A civil war was more likely to break out than a rebellion in his eyes.

Still, there was more truth in the words his spy has spoken. Lord Kurtwell knew for a fact that Lord Lezhalt had some sort of dealings with the temple from his spy there. Evidently the young lord managed to get a priest promoted to Bishop. How? He still did not know, it was a mystery to him. Yet, it happened.

The connection between the two was also shrouded in fog. How likely was it that the order was raising the young lord in secret? If so, what for?

That was a headache in and of itself. One he did not wish to think about right now.

So, he turned his attention to the news of Lord Frost. It got the gears to turn in his head as he thought of all the possible people Lord Frost made enemies with. The list was large but shortened dramatically when he thought of those who were claimed to be dead.

No one appeared in his mind. At least, no one strong enough to overpower Lord Frost.

Lord Kurtwell sighed as he slumped back in his seat.

'A rebellion huh?'

He asked himself as he exhaled.

Two knocks stirred him away from his thoughts. Leaning back up in his seat, he fixed himself as he wore a neutral expression.

"Come in."

The wooden door opened as an older man appeared. While the man was not a knight, he was still an important person in the academy.

"There's a problem. Linley and Andrew have both been poisoned."

The older man rushed straight up to Lord Kurtwell's desk as he spoke. His face was covered in beads of sweat, and from the spots of dirt mixed with blood on his white coat, Lord Kurtwell could tell he came here in a hurry.

"Poison? What kind?"

Lord Kurtwell asked calmly as be was not panicking nor worried.

"Devil's Dust. It's rare, but there is a cure for it. We just do not have it here."

"That hasn't been seen in twenty years because it was easy to counteract the posion if you knew the right materials. Are you positive we do not have any in storage?"

Lord Kurtwell asked as he eyed the older man. Their academy hoarded supplies from every era in case of situations like this. One can never be too cautious.

"If we did, I wouldn't be here. Our inventory has been checked, and you would be surprised at what is missing."

The man took out a stack of paper as he set it down on the desk. Lord Kurtwell glanced at it.

"All of this?"

The man nodded.

"Don't even ask me how, those fuckers who were in charge of inventory can't be found. Medicine, enchanted armor, weapons, herbs, training scrolls, history books, maps. We are down to our last, and if we cannot cure those two soon..."

Lord Kurtwell slammed his fist against the desk causing it to crack. This was a disgrace. If word of this got out all the nobles in the region would come after his head. Not only would he lose his position, he'd lose everything.

"Cure them. We cannot have it spread. If you can't, you know what you have to do."

Lord Kurtwell ordered.

The man nodded. If the two students died, they could handle the backlash. However, if Devil's Dust got out and they were the cause of it, that was a different story.

"I've informed two instructors and they are out now looking for those who were in charge of inventory."

Lord Kurtwell shook his head.

"Leave it be. They are long gone by now if they are smart. No point in chasing a rabbit that's fifty meters ahead."

'I'm unsure if this rebellion is worth your time. It could all be a delusion the Lord has tricked himself into believing. But, I implore you to at least look into it.'

Those words appeared in his head at this moment. That unsettling feeling in his stomach was back.

"Bring me a map, cancel all training for the week, and tell all the instructors the academy is on lockdown. No one but a select few are allowed to leave."

The man looked at the headmaster but said nothing. The last time the academy went on lockdown was twenty-three years ago when Devil's Dust was at its peak. When people dropped dead in the streets on a daily basis.

But that only caused him to wonder, why did the headmaster need a map? Sure, the academy could go on lockdown to weed out the rest of those who may have helped with the looting of their inventory. But a map could not.

Lord Kurtwell stared at him. He felt nervous, he's never felt this nervous in front of the headmaster before.

As he was about to turn to do what he was instructed, the headmaster asked him another question.

"How are things between the nobles here and the commoners? Does anyone stand out?"

It was a strange question, one that caught him off guard.

"The same as it has always been. Those who were born of higher status still try to use it to their favor. Makings life difficult for the less wealthy by whatever means they can. The infirmary never ceases to have a day off because of the number of patients that constantly flow in. Although our academy does not discriminate, we cannot deny the rift that lies between the students and the instructors. As for someone who stands out, I cannot think of anyone."

The man explained.

"I was talking about outside of these walls, not inside of them. I should have clarified myself."

Lord Kurtwell said.

The man laughed a little.

"Sorry, sorry. Are you honestly asking me that right now? Or have you been so busy with politics that you've forgotten my status?"

"I did not forget Julian. You were born a commoner, but, here you are. Leading the doctors here while garnishing the attention from noble families. And I'll admit, I have been paying attention to the other side, but that does not mean I've forgotten those by my side. So speak truthfully."

Julian shook his head. He could not tell the headmaster, it was hard to describe in words. The life of a commoner was not one a noble would ever understand.

"If you truly wish to know, go out when the sun sets. Just be sure to cloak yourself when you do and you'll see what others do not."

1